Author Topic: The Road to Maui: The Path Well Taken by MP and Co.  (Read 24885 times)

Offline Marco Polo

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
The Road to Maui: The Path Well Taken by MP and Co.
« on: May 21, 2015, 02:18:32 AM »
After my last trip (Japan) and my daily posting, it's kind of hard to not continue doing it. So for your reading pleasure, see below:

Hawaii Day One:

There had been the idea of a Hawaii trip for some time now, but was consistently pushed off for farther and more exotic destinations. The thought was, it would always be easy to get to Hawaii as a US destination, then to travel to far off lands. With a few big trips planned for this summer and January, we were really wide open to going away someplace close over Memorial Day weekend. The plan was to find something not too far using Avios and stay for a week. While I did not have great luck finding anything in advance using Avios, we knew we would be comfortable booking last minute and figured we would hold out for something, anything to get us out of NY and someplace nice.

A week before our intended departure date to wherever, I woke up to my wife exclaiming how she found saver J space on UA 15 EWR-HNL. I quickly called Singapore Airlines to book the flight (30k per person) and got us confirmed soon after. SQ is probably the best option to book to Hawaii, and it also does not charge close-in booking fees. So with a flight booked to Hawaii, this trip was happening and I needed to start planning.

After doing a rush job of reading TR’s, I decided Maui would be our island of choice. Since we were travelling over Shavout, we would have three days which we could not do any sightseeing, Maui seemed like a nice place with a mix of activities and a relaxing hotel environment that would be suitable for us travelling with an infant.

So with the island picked out, I needed to figure out hotels and transportation. Neither Hyatt had any points or cash+points options for my desired stay, but I was able to get a good paid rate at the Hyatt Regency and booked four nights there (a points stay opened for a fifth night which i booked as well) and got a cash+points reservation at the Westin for the first two nights.  I found a good rate for an SUV through the Costco rental site and booked that for under $200 for our stay. The last leg to get from HNL-OGG was booked using 6k UA per passenger.

Although we would be flying a premium cabin, we would not have access to the United lounge in EWR. I was able to get in and get a quick drink before the flight though. UA 15 offers a lie flat J seat, which is nice for a long flight (10:30 flight time), but nothing great compared to almost any other foreign carrier and the service has much to be desired. The flight went by uneventfully, my kid slept for a couple hours in the beginning and end of the flight, which was nice. We got Regal KSML’s that were not bad, but having turkey sandwiches as a backup was a good safety net. 

Landing in HNL was really nice and it definitely felt like the start of vacation. I did run into a bump or two when it came to my next flight, but I will chalk it up to a lesson learned. Before we even made it to check-in, we got stuck waiting for an airport shuttle for way too long. Moral of that story, if you see a shuttle, make sure you get on it, even if you have to chase it down. In regards to the flight, apparently since I booked the first flight with SQ and the second flight with UA on HA, UA could not check my bags all the way through, and I had to pay for the bags on the second leg. Lesson learned. 

The hop from HNL to OGG was over before i knew it and I’m sure the views were amazing (we got stuck in the last seats on the plane with no widow). After picking up our bags and shuttling over to Avis, we were in the car in a matter of minutes and on the road to the Westin. It is around a thirty-minute drive from the airport along the coast with great views (at least for a first timer and not having done the Road to Hana yet) and pleasant driving. Check-in at the Gold/Platinum desk was smooth and then made it upstairs to our ocean view room in time to write this up. Tomorrow is sure to be a great day with lots of activities, not sure what yet, but it’s Hawaii and I know something good will happen (maybe i'll even find flights home).

‘Til tomorrow…
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline thaber

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: The Road to Maui: The Path Well Taken by MP and Co.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 02:22:21 AM »
Enjoy! I love these TR's!

Offline Marco Polo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 02:26:36 AM »
Enjoy! I love these TR's!
Thanks. We may be flying back through LA for a few hours if you you are around.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline lunatic

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 07:12:46 AM »
Love the last part,  only a DDFer writes that

Offline yoruel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 11:12:27 AM »

A week before our intended departure date to wherever, I woke up to my wife exclaiming how she found saver J space on UA 15 EWR-HNL.

Kudos to you for getting your wife in on searching for those flights.
Enjoy! We know you wont disappoint.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 11:16:03 AM »
Should've used the DD corp account for Hawaiian :)
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 11:17:08 AM »
Why didnt you give the check in desk both of your confirmations to tag it all the way through?
AA and UA won't check bags to airlines not in their alliance if flights are on separate PNRs.
UA elites may still be able to.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Marco Polo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 11:18:11 AM »
Should've used the DD corp account for Hawaiian :)
I checked the rates for that, but figured 6k UA would be cheaper. Did not realize the whole interline thing would screw me up.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 11:20:08 AM »
I checked the rates for that, but figured 6k UA would be cheaper. Did not realize the whole interline thing would screw me up.
HNL-OGG flights start at $60 or so with 2 free bags and free standby.

Offline Marco Polo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 11:22:13 AM »
HNL-OGG flights start at $60 or so with 2 free bags and free standby.
Flights when i looked were ~$99 per passenger. Nothing i can do now (likely gonna fly through LAX on the way home, so i won't have this issue).

Anyone get the audio tour for RTH? Is that + Maui Revealed app too much?
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline benjie1305

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2015, 12:01:40 PM »
This belongs in the "you know I am a DDF'er when"

I woke up to my wife exclaiming how she found saver J space on UA 15 EWR-HNL.

Awaiting the rest!  :)
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline rileywiles23

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
The Road to Maui: The Path Well Taken by MP and Co.
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2015, 12:16:14 PM »
Flights when i looked were ~$99 per passenger. Nothing i can do now (likely gonna fly through LAX on the way home, so i won't have this issue).

Anyone get the audio tour for RTH? Is that + Maui Revealed app too much?
I don't know if the app needs service to function, but if it does, there isn't good service everywhere on the island. Especially road to Hanna.
Life is as good as you make it...

Offline rileywiles23

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 12:18:01 PM »

Anyone get the audio tour for RTH?
I had the audio tour, and wasn't that impressed. We just used the book to figure what to see and what not.

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2015, 12:23:37 PM »
I believe we discussed that bags might not be checked all the way through. Nonetheless, 12K UA + $70 for 4 bags (assuming you brought 4 as an example) is not much more than $200 tickets had you paid cash and went through corp.

I don't know if the app needs service to function, but if it does, there isn't good service everywhere on the island. Especially road to Hanna.
Plenty have reported that the app does not need cell service to GPS track you. You're actually the first to report IINM (as I've read the whole Maui thread) of anyone using an audio tour. Didn't know it existed. Good to know it's not so good.

Offline rileywiles23

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2015, 12:27:36 PM »

[quote author=@Yehuda link=topic=52136.msg1153635#msg1153635 date=1432225417
You're actually the first to report IINM (as I've read the whole Maui thread) of anyone using an audio tour. Didn't know it existed. Good to know it's not so good.
[/quote] its a cd with songs, and bunch of guys helping you out with where to stop, and what to see.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2015, 12:27:49 PM »
4 bags would be $120.

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2015, 12:41:56 PM »
4 bags would be $120.
Is it that hard to become a Hawaiian Miles member?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2015, 12:42:46 PM »
Is it that hard to become a Hawaiian Miles member?
Read the fine print sir.

Online skyguy918

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2015, 12:49:45 PM »
Read the fine print sir.
I did UA/AA (don't remember which one was inbound) mileage tickets for inter-island, signed up for a free Hawaiian account, and only paid $15 for the 1 bag I checked (on the way there I interlined from Delta, so it was free). I assume you were referring to this:
*...Discount applies to confirmed Hawaiian Airlines revenue tickets and flight award tickets redeemed with HawaiianMiles. Discount is applicable on any fare class ticket.
which would imply that UA/AA mileage tickets aren't eligible. But the end of that footnote reads:
Baggage discounts will only be applied when your HawaiianMiles number is present in your reservation, or added prior to completing the check-in process.
I think what I did was I called up UA/AA and asked to switch the FF# on the reservation to my new Hawaiian FF#, and when we checked in they only charged $15.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2015, 12:54:18 PM »
Cool, thanks for the data point.