Author Topic: A 3 Day Vacation to CUN  (Read 16842 times)

Offline JayR

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
A 3 Day Vacation to CUN
« on: June 01, 2015, 11:08:02 AM »
A month after my last trip on points, I was getting restless for another vacation. I usually give myself 1-2 months of planning (more like 2 cc statements) before taking a trip. Shavuos was a perfect time to get away, but complication arose, so I decided to go the week before Shavuos. Choosing a destination was hard. Bermuda, Aruba, and Bahamas were all options. In the end, I decided on Cancun (CUN), mainly because there were kosher restaurants already there, and there was no need to rent a car.

I called a friend to join me for the trip and proceeded to plan the itinerary from Monday through Thursday. Some things I wanted to do over this trip: I usually stay at SPG hotels and enjoy them a lot, however this trip I wanted to experience IHG hotels and their service. Also, Cozumel has a beautiful coral reef, so I wanted to check that out. This was my first time in Mexico, so I was a little apprehensive of security and kidnappings and muggings… you get the picture, but this just added to the excitement.

Monday

We decided to just bring carry-ons to eliminate the hassle of checking bags and so we were forced to travel light (FYI, US air/AA card only gives free checked bags for domestic :(). I had recently gotten a carry-on bag from Bauer, and was waiting for a good time to try it out. For food, we brought a loaf of bread, a couple bags of chips, candy, and packs of gum. I had contacted the Chabad in CUN the night before, and ordered a meal to be delivered to our hotel, so we would have food waiting for us when we arrive. Originally we wanted to try out the Kosher Luxor, the meat restaurant in CUN, but i got an email saying they were moving locations and they'll be closed for the week. For international calling, I got AT&T’s $30 international plan, which added to my regular plan 30 days of unlimited wifi and messaging, 120mb data and $1/min of calling. There were cheaper options but I liked the idea of having unlimited texting.

We got to JFK Terminal 8 for our 6pm flight. We were running a little late so I decided to skip printing my boarding pass and to just use the online pass on my iPhone. However, for some reason it didn’t show priority, so I headed back to the monitor and printed out my boarding pass which did say priority, and then headed through security. A quick stop by the CS desk by the gate and we changed our seats to the last empty row. Next up, was an essential trip to the duty free shop ;). We then boarded, and settled down for the 4 hour flight. It was raining and gloomy in New York when we took off, so it was cool that after five minutes on the plane, we broke through the clouds and saw it really was a nice and sunny day. A friend had graciously given me a gogo pass for the flight, so I was able to have internet till we passed Florida.

Before takeoff

A sea of clouds

Beautiful weather throughout the trip

While landing, the windows had fogged up because of the humidity outside. We safely landed and disembarked; went through Mexican customs, and then went to find a ride to our hotel, the IHG Intercontinental Presidente. The hotel usually offers rooms for 30k points. But, 2 weeks before the trip, I saw and posted on the DDF CUN thread that I found rooms for 12.5k/night, a real bargain for an Intercontinental (Here). I booked the standard room, a 2 Queen bed deluxe room, and was upgraded to an ocean view room (Have platinum status).

Even before going outside the airport, we were approached by the only taxi company in the airport, which offered private or public taxis to the hotel zone. Private taxis cost $40 and public taxis are $15/person. We booked the public taxi, even though it would take longer since our hotel was at the top of the strip.

FYI, this is a perfect example of the exchange rate craziness. I had planned to use my arrival+ because Mastercard had a better exchange rate than Visa at that time (15.05 vs 14.9) (I checked here). At exchange centers throughout CUN, the rate was approx. 14 MXN/1 USD. Now, the rental company charged $30 or 340 MXN. That means the rental’s exchange rate is roughly 11.5 MXN/1 USD. So using a cc (instead of cash), we paid $12 (incl tax) per seat. While I didn’t look out for an exchange center when we landed, when we left on Thursday I saw an exchange center in the departure area (same terminal) that offered around 15 MXN, so if you do need cash for things activities/places that don’t take CC, try to exchange your money there.

Back to the taxi…They did say that the taxi can wait up to 20 minutes in order to get the most passengers. We exited the airport and were immediately hit with the heat and humidity. And the bugs. We put our luggage into the taxi, ordered water bottles from the overpriced stand outside the airport, and waited. Around 10 minutes later, our taxi was ready to go. It was a little annoying to wait for other passengers but it was worth the difference in price. The drive itself to the hotel zone took about 20 minutes, probably another five minutes dropping off the other two passengers at their hotels, and then another five to reach the top of the strip where our hotel was.

Checking in went very smoothly. There was the bellboy outside that opened the doors and hauled our bags for us. At check-in I tried to be upgraded to the club room but they wanted $170 for the upgrade which I passed on. I also picked up the food that Chabad had dropped off a couple of minutes beforehand. The lobby had a relaxing atmosphere and a restaurant and bar area in the back. The hotel room itself was very contemporary. The bathroom was a little cramped, the shower was decent, and by the sink there was a cool box of amenities including Q-tips and a sewing kit. The room also came with 2 complimentary water bottles. And a nice ocean view.

We unpacked our fully packed carry-ons and prepared to eat. From Chabad, we got meatballs and spaghetti and burgers. The meatballs and spaghetti were very good (It seemed they cut down on the pasta-to-sauce ratio ;D).The burgers OTOH, were a little too homemade and pretty dry. After supper, we went to sleep early, preparing ourselves for a crazy Tuesday.

You can modify your original post. The modify button is right next to the quote button.

Online Mordyk

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
Re: A 3 Day Vacation to CUN
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 11:15:45 AM »

wow, was just thinking of making a 3 day CUN trip.  will be waiting to hear the rest!
#TYH

Offline Dr Moose

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 11:18:47 AM »
Hey there! I am using DansDeals Forums.

Offline Einstein

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 11:52:52 AM »
Looks awesome! Can't wait to see the rest
If you think nobody cares about you... just forget to pay your credit card bill

Offline MosheD

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 12:11:33 PM »
Great TR. Looking fwd. Also appreciate the lack of steep cliffhanger...

Offline JayR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 03:00:52 PM »
Tuesday

I woke up around 6am on Tuesday, just in time to take a couple of cool sunrise pictures. The hotel had a nice fitness gym, which was pretty much empty till 9ish. A quick call to the front desk confirmed us for 4pm late checkout. The hotel grounds were very beautiful and empty. There weren’t more than 6 couples by the hotel beach. They did have a company by the water that offered water sports, so we went to check out their prices. They did offer many activities, but they were expensive (Jet skiing was $90/30 minutes). I did see a brochure in their office for a Blue Ray Jungle Tour which looked interesting. Speedboating for 1.5 hours and snorkeling for 30 minutes, for $80/person. That was much more in my price range, so we booked that for 12 pm.

Sunrise over the ocean

Cute towel design

Adult pool

The beach

Bar on the beach

As many people have reported, there is no need for a car if you’re staying in CUN. There are buses that go up and down the strip constantly, and we never waited longer than a minute at a bus stop. The price of the bus is 10 MXN (sometimes 10.5), which, with a good xrate, is about $.60. Or, you can pay them a dollar (sometimes more convenient).

The hotel had a bus stop across the street and in no time we were on a bus heading down the strip to the marina (near the RC Marriott hotel, lagoon side). We did see other companies offering the same tour, but didn’t have time to compare prices. There was a convenient store there, so we bought some drinks and sunscreen. We picked up our snorkeling equipment, paid $10 insurance, and then waited for the whole group to arrive (2 people per boat, 5 boats per group). After a quick safety and instruction speech, which was completely in Spanish (I’ll give the guide some credit for trying to explain in english ;D), we all got into our 2 seater speedboats and then had to wait till everyone figured out how to use them.

You can’t BS a BSer. Our first boat had a cracked engine, and looked like it was about to blow up, and we saw some brand new boats off to the side. So we go to the guide, saying that this boat isn’t safe, blah blah blah, and ask if we could get one of those new ones. To which he replies, “Oh. I would love to give you the new ones, but we don’t have licenses for them yet.” Ok, at least we tried. 2 minutes later, our boat stalled. The guide restarted it, but it kept on stalling. Getting annoyed, the guide called over a  mechanic, who said to give us another boat. Five minutes later we were cruising around in one of those brand new boats 8).

The route takes 45 minutes to reach the snorkeling spot, then we snorkel for 30 minutes, and then head back. We started in the lagoon, on the west side of the strip, and crossed the strip into the ocean. The “jungle” was really just marsh style, but the water was a site to see. It’s cool to drive through the calm waters of the lagoon, and then compare it to the rough waters of the ocean. This was my first experience snorkeling and I wasn’t too impressed. Yes there was coral, and yes there some fish (only after coaxing them with tortilla chips), but the ocean water was kind of murky and the waves were quiet rough. After snorkeling around in a large circle, we started back to shore. The ocean waves could get a bit rough, so it’s prudent to go slower at some points. Also, anywhere that I didn’t put sunscreen was sunburned. Sunscreen is a must. After getting back to the marina, we tipped the guide (suggested) and were hounded by another guide to buy the photos that he took of us for $25. No thank you. $10 was much more realistic, but at that price he wouldn’t give us the paper frame or email them to us. Never mind.

We took a bus up to the outdoor mall, got some Häagen-Dazs ice cream and sorbet, and walked around, enjoying the weather and recuperating from the snorkeling. We then boarded a bus (this one was the $10.5), going up the strip to our hotel. We got to our hotel and started packing. Tonight, we somehow were going to be sleeping in Cozumel, an island off the shore of Playa Del Carmen, about an hour from Cancun :D.

Our route (IIRC :P)

Blue Ray Marina

Entrance to the "jungle"

Snorkel area

The classic pose

Sinks by the marina

Last view from our hotel
You can modify your original post. The modify button is right next to the quote button.

Offline JayR

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 12:13:05 AM »
Tuesday (cont.)

Originally, I had booked 2 nights at the IHG, but then I discovered Cozumel (CZM). CZM is an island off of Mexico. It has a couple of Mayan temple and village ruins that you could visit and enter (unlike Chichen Itza), boasts one of the most beautiful reefs in the world, and as a bonus, has a top rated IHG property. Bingo. I cancelled the second night (I had reserved each night separately), and booked Tuesday night at the IHG InterContinental Presidente Cozumel Resort Spa. A standard room costs 40k, and I was upgraded to a beach view.

There are two factions to CUN: the tourists and the locals. The locales, who live in slums, outside of the strip, aren’t paying nearly as close to the jacked up prices reserved for us tourists. For example, a taxi from CUN to Playa (50 min.) costs about $50-$65. We decided to rough it out like locales.

In reality, there are two buses that go through CUN. R1 and R2. R2 is the tourist bus that just goes up and down the strip. The R1 bus goes further west into Cancun, to the central bus stop. It’s about 15 minutes from the top of the strip. Right when we got off the bus, we heard a guy calling, “Playa! Playa!” We run over, he points to a minivan, exactly like our taxi from the airport, and says, “34 pesos.” Gladly! With our xrate of 15MXN, that was roughly $2.30 per person ;D.

For the next 40 minutes, I was entranced by Mexico. Driving through villages, maybe a third of all building weren’t in ruins. Many were graffitied, burned, or just empty. So many construction sites were half finished and abandoned cars lay rusted all over. The van would sometimes stop to drop off or pick up passengers. Many were wearing hotel or park uniforms. It definitely was a sobering experience.

Bus R1 to the Bus station. Packed.

Local bus stop

We were dropped off at the Playa Bus Station, a couple of blocks away from the pier. And we were starving. We got a taxi to take us to Menfis, the Israeli restaurant there. It was easy enough to find, and in a decent location. The lady behind the counter didn’t speak a word of English or even Hebrew, so we relied on sign language; not too hard when all you’re doing is choosing stuff for your sandwich. I was expecting shawarma but this was more deli style. The food was great and it was the perfect place to just relax. They did have outdoor seating which was nice.

After a good dinner, we walked from Menfis to the pier. The boardwalk had retail stores, restaurants, bars and souvenir shops, spanning at least 12 blocks. It was quite a walk, but we had time to pick up some souvenirs and to find those unique shot glasses. Even though Playa Del Carmen is a tourist attraction, it didn’t feel touristy at all, to the point where there’s the absence of security you feel in CUN.

After an enjoyable walk, and seeing performers by the beach, we boarded a ferry to take us to Cozumel. There are 3 companies that offer ferries. The last one leaves from Playa at 10pm. We booked with the cheapest company, Mexican Waterjets, which charged $11 per person. The ferry was quite large and also offered outdoor seating. The trip took about 40 minutes. After landing on CZM, we got a taxi straight to the hotel. The hotel was more like a compound, with a security gate and long driveway. You drive up to lobby and just walk a flight of steps into the lobby. The entire hotel had that open feeling. We decided to splurge and be upgraded to a beachfront room for $100. IMO, it was an awesome choice. The room is on the ground floor, with a path straight to the beach. The room also came with an outdoor and indoor shower and bathtub. We walked out to the beach and the surrounding grounds and since the place was deserted, we went for a quick swim in the pool.

After an amazing first day in CUN, we went to bed to rest up for the next crazy day.

Beach near the pier

Evening ceremony

Part of the boardwalk

Outdoor seating

Indoor seating

Entrance to hotel

Long driveway

Drive up area

2 Double beds

Outdoor shower

Night swim

Offline morgs

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: *a Gold, Avis Presidents circle, Hertz Presidents club
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 07:22:22 AM »
Awesome TR so far-cant wait for the rest!!!

Online TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 09:31:28 AM »
Great TR & awesome photos. What was your camera of choice ?

Offline JayR

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 10:32:50 AM »
Great TR & awesome photos. What was your camera of choice ?

All photos were taken with iphone 5s. I can't believe how great some of the photos came out.

Offline JayR

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 10:33:05 AM »
Wednesday

We woke up to gorgeous weather on Wednesday. I made good use of the hammock outside our room, and the outdoor shower was even more fun to use. CZM is an island, so the beaches there are man-made. The sand wasn’t white like CUN, but was most similar to LA. However the view of the ocean was just stunning. First up, was snorkeling. The company by the hotel, Scuba Du, offers $18 for a full day rental ($6 per piece – goggles, life vest, flippers). I was annoyed, though, that the equipment wasn’t as good as in CUN >:(. The hotel has 3 different dive spots, which are piers leading out to the water and also has 2 beaches. We just walked into the ocean and had an amazing experience. The ocean floor was dotted with boats, broken propellers, and engines purposely sunk to attract fish, which they did by the thousands. Schools of fish were swimming all over. I saw every fish in Finding Nemo, except for Nemo himself ;D. We saw larger fish (2,3,4 feet long), and also a puffer fish (a little scary). Going further out you could see the underbelly of some coral and be able to see the cooler fishes. Dark blue, iridescent, silver were all there. The sunlight shining through the water just added to the magic of the sea.

First view from our room

Beach view on 2nd floor, beach front on 1st

Panorama view

Cruise ships docked in CZM

Hotel beach

The plan was to rent mopeds for the day ($30/400MXN) and travel to the Mayan ruins and then around CZM, but we decided to relax and enjoy the water and weather instead. After almost 2 hours of snorkeling (felt like half an hour), it was time to head out. We packed up (I took another outdoor shower 8)), and checked out of the hotel. The only issue with the hotel was that their WIFI was down for maintenance :(.

The taxi to the pier was $9. This time, we took another ferry company, Ultramar, which charged 163MXN per person ($11.50). We had a 30 minute wait till the ferry, so we checked out the boardwalk and shops in the area. Of our entire trip, CZM felt the least touristy. Shops were selling regular wares and local kids were running all over. The ferry arrived on time, and we boarded. The ferry does allow large bags/suitcases on the boat. You check them, and then pick them up after all passengers disembark. This ferry also had indoor/outdoor seating, but I preferred indoors due to the 3pm heat. The ferry did have WIFI, but it was very, very slow.

45 minutes later, we arrived back at Playa. That morning we had finally finished the loaf of bread and the other food we had bought from the US, so calling us hungry was an understatement :D. We took a taxi to Menfis and enjoyed another awesome meal. I was bothered that we didn’t get to see the Mayan ruins, but that just meant there was a reason to come back.

Corridor to the beachfront room

These are everywhere ::)

By the pier

Offline VacationLover

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2015, 10:46:46 AM »
Nice TR and pictures. Which camera did you use?

Aren't the alligators dangerous?

Offline yitrap

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 10:54:06 AM »

Nice TR and pictures. Which camera did you use?

All photos were taken with iphone 5s. I can't believe how great some of the photos came out.

Offline JayR

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2015, 10:59:18 AM »

I didn't see any alligators while snorkeling, and the iguanas (pic above) just lay around in the sun, not really moving.

Offline JayR

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2015, 12:17:58 AM »
Wednesday (cont.)

Next up, was Explor - Fuego. I had read about this place from a TR by wonderlust (thanks, it really helped me out! :) ), and it caught my interest. From 5pm – 11pm, you have the choice to do 4 activities: Swimming through caves, rafting through caves, zip lining, and jeeping through a jungle. Xplor (regular) charges $107 per person. Fuego is the same thing, just at night, and is $89. Plus buying 7-20 days in advance gets 10% off (21+ days gets 15%). With a coupon I found online, the total came out to $81 per person. Obviously, taxes and insurance added to the price, but 6 hours of fun for $81 sounded good to me.

This was the only part of the trip that I wished we had a car. After Xplor, the plan was to head back to CUN. The taxi from Playa to Xplor wasn’t too bad ($12 after haggling). I figured that the local vans won’t be running by the time we would be done at Xplor, so we’d need to pay for the taxi back to CUN :(. But we are getting ahead of ourselves.

Xplor was definitely a highlight of the trip. The entire park is situated in caves, and branch out from the “Heart”, the main cave, to the four activities. They also have a restaurant and a resting area that is accessible from the activities. One of our carry-ons didn’t fit in the locker, but it was no issue. We were given a ticket to pick up the bag from the office when we were done. That was something that was bothering me, and I was glad it worked out without a problem. The sun was setting, so we started with ziplining. Each activity is roughly 30 minutes. There are seven zipline courses that are connected by seven towers. There was lots of climbing stairs but it was really worth it. The sixth line took us through a ring/square of fire which was pretty fun. The seventh line ended through a waterfall (very cool!) where you end up back in the main cave.

Direction to the "Heart"

The Heart

Zipline through waterfall

Zipline towers

Tower 6

Sunset from the towers

Ziplining towards the ring of fire (low quality :()

Paddling and swimming through the caves were more or less the same activity, and since the water was a bit cold we opted to do the rafting. They offer single or double rafts and the paddles given are really hand paddles; just a piece of wood strapped to your hand :o. It was very cool to actually go rafting in a cave, but 25 minutes was a bit excessive.

Paddles

Next up, was the jeeping. Not only do you go through a jungle, but you cross rickety bridges, and travel through caves. Plus you get wet. I'll let the pictures explain :D.

The jeeps

One of the bridges

Some caves were filled with water

After a 30 minute jeep ride, we stopped by the rest area for a drink. Strewn about were 20 – 30 hammocks with small fires to warm you up. Very relaxing. After taking a rest, we stopped by the gift store for some souvenirs. Now, we faced an hour drive to CUN. The bus to Playa was coming in an hour, so we took a taxi back to Playa to try to bargain for a taxi ride. After a couple minutes of back and forth, we found a driver that took us for $40.

That night, were staying at the SPG Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort. We arrived at the hotel about 45 minutes after leaving Playa. At check-in, I requested to be upgraded from the studio to the 1 Bedroom (SPG Gold), and he checked availability and said yes! (You can only get the 2 Bedroom if you reserve 2 rooms). The room was really nice, came with a kitchen and dinette area, a master bedroom with a jaccuzi, a queen bed sofa couch and a balcony connecting both rooms. We were going to order from Chabad again for that night but decided to just get takeout from Menfis. After eating supper, we walked around the property and then decided to walk up and down the strip.

The weather was perfect for a nice walk and we tried enjoying our last night in CUN. CUN reminded me of Miami Beach but more of Las Vegas. Each hotel is trying to outdo the other, the area revolves around the hotel zone, there's massive high end retail stores, and anything outside the strip is slummy. After a refreshing walk, we headed back to the hotel (which is huge), and fell asleep.

Lobby

View from our room

Offline Einstein

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2015, 12:23:11 AM »
WOW keep up the good work! awesome!
If you think nobody cares about you... just forget to pay your credit card bill

Offline JayR

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2015, 12:26:59 AM »
WOW keep up the good work! awesome!
Thanks. Got one last post to put up.

Offline morgs

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: *a Gold, Avis Presidents circle, Hertz Presidents club
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2015, 04:55:46 PM »
Great TR so far and really nice pics!! BTW, by the jeeping part do you have a guide that drives you or you drive the jeep yourself?

Offline JayR

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2015, 05:50:10 PM »
Great TR so far and really nice pics!! BTW, by the jeeping part do you have a guide that drives you or you drive the jeep yourself?
Yourself. They beg everyone not to crash :D

Offline Buruch

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2015, 07:19:04 PM »
You mentioned that it's 6 hours of fun, but then it sounds like 4 half hour activities?