Author Topic: Best Online Backup  (Read 46571 times)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Re: Best Online Backup
« Reply #160 on: July 01, 2015, 05:19:31 PM »
Anyone try SOS Online Backup or IDrive?  Those seem the best from what I've read; wondering if anyone has had any experience with them, or can recommend another.

Also, if you are recommending a different one, how would you respond to this:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2288745,00.asp  (each one has its own full review)

Edit:
Whoops, forgot links.
SOS - http://www.sosonlinebackup.com/
IDrive - https://www.idrive.com/

I recently signed up for SOS; and actually now have occasion to restore some files and had a question. Was able to get a rep on the phone in less than 5 mins which is nice.

Don't know yet on the restore.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Mutty

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA Lifetime Gold; PC Platinum; AccurHotels Platinum; National Executive; Marriot Silver Elite; Hilton Gold; SPG Gold; Hertz #1 Club Gold 5 Star; SixT Platinum; Avis First
« Reply #161 on: July 03, 2015, 02:21:56 AM »
Anyone try SOS Online Backup or IDrive?  Those seem the best from what I've read; wondering if anyone has had any experience with them, or can recommend another.

Also, if you are recommending a different one, how would you respond to this:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2288745,00.asp  (each one has its own full review)

Edit:
Whoops, forgot links.
SOS - http://www.sosonlinebackup.com/
IDrive - https://www.idrive.com/
I use Idrive. As a school we got a 50% discount. I've had a number of issues with it. A message often shows up that backup failed because of my firewall, where it's absolutely not the problem. And then other times it works beautifully (with no changes to firewall). Setting up individual directories to back up from a server was an incredible pain. It took forever for it to come back and be ready for your next choice. Anyway, until I find something better I'm still using it. If anyone has anything better, please let us know.
“You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?”

Offline DanH

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 26, 2016, 04:03:15 PM »
Bump.

Any opinions?  Looking specifically for one that allows deleting the file locally while keeping the file remotely.  Client has little storage space available on HDD; wants to be able to upload to "cloud" and then delete from PC.
For tech help feel free to Telegram me @DanTechSupp

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #163 on: January 11, 2017, 12:00:51 AM »
A friend of mine is telling me that he has a sprint phone and had service on it, and now is no longer able to use his service unless he wipes his whole phone and the service will be restored, so he wanted to back up his contacts and all text messaging,any way to download them onto a computer and reload them or on a sd card and then reinsert after the wipe to reload them, (or even an app which would download them to the sd card or if I get ahold of another phone to put onto? )
 My real question is, does it make sense you would have to erase your phone to restore the service? 
 Or a quick fix is if I can easily back up all his info(just contacts and text messaging?   Thanks 

(PS-it's a simple android phone, if that helps.)some random company.
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline Yisroel Tech

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 11, 2017, 07:41:37 AM »
A friend of mine is telling me that he has a sprint phone and had service on it, and now is no longer able to use his service unless he wipes his whole phone and the service will be restored, so he wanted to back up his contacts and all text messaging,any way to download them onto a computer and reload them or on a sd card and then reinsert after the wipe to reload them, (or even an app which would download them to the sd card or if I get ahold of another phone to put onto? )
 My real question is, does it make sense you would have to erase your phone to restore the service? 
 Or a quick fix is if I can easily back up all his info(just contacts and text messaging?   Thanks 

(PS-it's a simple android phone, if that helps.)some random company.
Your real question isn't possible to answer without knowing the whole picture. If might be the easy solution of a lazy tech but it certainly might be a way to get some things back in great shape and order.

As for backups. Contacts and SMS are the easiest to do it. For SMS (and call log)  this app does a simple great job https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore&hl=en

As for contacts, aren't all his contacts synced with Google? If it is then you don't have to do anything and it'll come back automatically after system restore when signing into the Gmail account. If it isn't synced the contacts app on the phone should have an export option, where you can export a csv or similar.

Offline gozalim

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: January 02, 2018, 02:32:02 PM »
any replacement for crashplan's free local backup?
here is one of the things being suggested out there, for free local backups:
https://www.backup-utility.com/free-backup-software.html
Is it any good? is there something better?
Just stick to windows' own "file history"?

Online av83

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 07, 2018, 02:12:38 PM »
i use my computer for school oi have some docs, downloads etc i will be upgrading to a different computer  i guess i should put all my stuff on a backup server which one should i use? or is there a simpler way to transfer files?

Online etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #167 on: March 07, 2018, 02:15:49 PM »
i use my computer for school oi have some docs, downloads etc i will be upgrading to a different computer  i guess i should put all my stuff on a backup server which one should i use? or is there a simpler way to transfer files?
The fastest way to transfer files would be to use a portable hard drive, or a flash drive if your files aren't very big and/or you don't mind copying them in shifts.

Online backup is a great tool, but it's not so great for transferring files from one computer to another since you'll have to wait for everything to upload and then to download via the internet. Transferring via a hard drive / flash drive is much faster.
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Online av83

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 07, 2018, 02:19:25 PM »
The fastest way to transfer files would be to use a portable hard drive, or a flash drive if your files aren't very big and/or you don't mind copying them in shifts.

Online backup is a great tool, but it's not so great for transferring files from one computer to another since you'll have to wait for everything to upload and then to download via the internet. Transferring via a hard drive / flash drive is much faster.
thanks but i dont have a portable hd or fd so which backup is recommended it seems like anyways its a good thing to back up my stuff ty

Online etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 07, 2018, 03:17:19 PM »
thanks but i dont have a portable hd or fd so which backup is recommended it seems like anyways its a good thing to back up my stuff ty
Around how many gb of files do you have?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 03:38:52 PM by etech0 »

Online av83

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 07, 2018, 03:41:12 PM »
Around how many gb of files do you have?
Less than 1

Online etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 07, 2018, 03:46:40 PM »
Less than 1
Then assuming you have a google account, google drive is probably the easiest. Just install the desktop app so that it syncs your google drive to your computer, and move/copy your files to the google drive folder on your computer. Then whenever you install the desktop app on a new computer, it will sync your files there.

Offline Yisroel Tech

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 07, 2018, 05:08:48 PM »
Then assuming you have a google account, google drive is probably the easiest. Just install the desktop app so that it syncs your google drive to your computer, and move/copy your files to the google drive folder on your computer. Then whenever you install the desktop app on a new computer, it will sync your files there.
Nowadays with Google Backup and Sync you don't even need to put it in the Google Drive folder, it could backup any folder on the PC:
https://www.google.com/drive/download/backup-and-sync/

Offline Yammer

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 07, 2018, 05:11:51 PM »
Nowadays with Google Backup and Sync you don't even need to put it in the Google Drive folder, it could backup any folder on the PC:
Which btw they are driving me crazy to change to. I like it that my Google drive is super organized with the things that I want to keep.

But it seems like they will discontinue Google drive PC

Online etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 07, 2018, 05:21:13 PM »
Didn't know about it, but that looks useful!
Which btw they are driving me crazy to change to. I like it that my Google drive is super organized with the things that I want to keep.

But it seems like they will discontinue Google drive PC
What advantages does Google Drive PC have over Backup and Sync?

Online etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 09, 2018, 02:53:11 PM »
Does anyone have experience with iDrive?

Offline Mutty

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA Lifetime Gold; PC Platinum; AccurHotels Platinum; National Executive; Marriot Silver Elite; Hilton Gold; SPG Gold; Hertz #1 Club Gold 5 Star; SixT Platinum; Avis First
« Reply #176 on: April 09, 2018, 04:12:53 PM »
Does anyone have experience with iDrive?
Using it for years. It's half price for schools. The "non business" version is much cheaper.
“You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?”

Online etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 09, 2018, 05:30:19 PM »
Using it for years. It's half price for schools. The "non business" version is much cheaper.
Nice! Is the $70/year for 2TB the "non business" version?

Are you happy with it?

Offline Mutty

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 11, 2018, 01:26:47 PM »
Nice! Is the $70/year for 2TB the "non business" version?

Are you happy with it?
Normally 69.95. It's on sale for first year for 52. Check the site.
Yes, we are happy with it. Obviously, the real test is when you need to recover, which you hope you never need, but we did a few times over the years and it worked beautifully. Again, if you're a school it's half price. Hatzlacha

Online etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 11, 2018, 01:40:31 PM »
Normally 69.95. It's on sale for first year for 52. Check the site.
Yes, we are happy with it. Obviously, the real test is when you need to recover, which you hope you never need, but we did a few times over the years and it worked beautifully. Again, if you're a school it's half price. Hatzlacha
They have a promo for people who are switching from crashplan so the first year is only a few dollars. Thanks for the feedback!