Author Topic: Best Online Backup  (Read 46559 times)

Offline beej

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold
Best Online Backup
« on: January 28, 2011, 04:57:18 AM »
I currently have Mozy Online Backup but i want to use the cheaper option of using and external HD and backup on my own by plugging it in once or twice a week.

I'm looking for software that i can install on the external to run my backup.

I know the way mozy works is that it does an original backup based on the backup sets (which takes a LONG time) and does consequent backups by quickly scanning for new, modified and deleted files. I'm looking for a program that does just that.

Pardon the ignorance but does all backup software work that way?
Any recommendations for an inexpensive simple program?

thanks
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 01:07:51 PM by jj1000 »

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 20
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Rav Kav Platinum
Re: Backup Software
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 05:11:03 AM »
I currently have Mozy Online Backup but i want to use the cheaper option of using and external HD and backup on my own by plugging it in once or twice a week.

I'm looking for software that i can install on the external to run my backup.

I know the way mozy works is that it does an original backup based on the backup sets (which takes a LONG time) and does consequent backups by quickly scanning for new, modified and deleted files. I'm looking for a program that does just that.

Pardon the ignorance but does all backup software work that way?
Any recommendations for an inexpensive simple program?

thanks
The technical term is "Incremental Backup" so just look for software that says it does that
Create professional looking itineraries.
Check out eliteitinerary.com

Offline elikay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 08:56:36 AM »
Just a heads up, external drives do die! And you can lose it all (or have to fork over $$$ to recover it) I'm still busy with a corrupted backup from  couple months ago.    would recommend having an online backup even if its secondary. I just started a Picasa sync on my pc so I'll have my pics ICE even if its in reduced resolution, I don't remember exactly how much space they give you but its about 10,000 pics.

Offline elikay

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 08:57:15 AM »
Plus for a price you can expand storage on Picasa.

Offline ceejay

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 01:34:38 PM »
The best idea would be to map a drive to Microsoft Live Skydrive and set the backup software to backup there. Comodo Backup is free and lets you do incremental and differential backup.

Offline Avid Reader

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 10:06:01 PM »
Definitely use online backup if you cant afford to lose your work. The external hard drives have a good chance of breaking. I use Carbonite.

Offline beej

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 07:59:23 AM »
thanx to all for replies and advice.

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 04:49:44 PM »
I use a program called GFI backup to run a complete backup every night, in triplicate (I got a bit paranoid when I lost a hard drive with thousands of pictures on it...). I'm very happy with it, it's easy to use and does incremental backups too. Here's the link:  http://www.gfi.com/backup-hm.
I also use Smugmug.com to back up my pictures, which I'm also very happy with... For $35 a year you could back up unlimited pictures and videos and access them from any computer.
If you'd like to sign up to Smugmug, please use this link, which would give you a $5 discount, and save me some money of my renewal too...  ;) https://secure.smugmug.com/signup.mg?Coupon=zFTtGypuDMFns
Good luck.
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 04:52:59 PM »
I use a program called GFI backup to run a complete backup every night, in triplicate (I got a bit paranoid when I lost a hard drive with thousands of pictures on it...). I'm very happy with it, it's easy to use and does incremental backups too. Here's the link:  http://www.gfi.com/backup-hm.
I also use Smugmug.com to back up my pictures, which I'm also very happy with... For $35 a year you could back up unlimited pictures and videos and access them from any computer.
If you'd like to sign up to Smugmug, please use this link, which would give you a $5 discount, and save me some money of my renewal too...  ;) https://secure.smugmug.com/signup.mg?Coupon=zFTtGypuDMFns
Good luck.

For up to 25GB of files (less than 50MB each, perfect for pictures), use Micrsoft's Skydrive, which is free.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 04:57:19 PM »
For up to 25GB of files (less than 50MB each, perfect for pictures), use Micrsoft's Skydrive, which is free.

Very good point, but remember two things - video clips are very often bigger than 50MB, and when you think about it, 25GB for pictures is not that much - fill up 6 4GB cards, and you're at the limit...

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 05:01:06 PM »
Very good point, but remember two things - video clips are very often bigger than 50MB, and when you think about it, 25GB for pictures is not that much - fill up 6 4GB cards, and you're at the limit...

Flickr Pro offers unlimited storage and HD video playback for $25/annually.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2011, 05:19:56 PM »
Flickr Pro offers unlimited storage and HD video playback for $25/annually.

Yes, that's true. I actually use both Smugmug and Flickr (not Pro, though), and I find Smugmug more practical for huge numbers of pictures (I have 30k+). Easier to organize, very customizable, etc. But you're right, if the main point is backup, Flickr Pro is definitely the more economical option.

Incidentally, I was noticed that you put your links in the text itself, while all I've been using is the url tag and pasting in the entire link. Mind telling me how you do that? Thanks!

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2011, 05:22:41 PM »
Yes, that's true. I actually use both Smugmug and Flickr (not Pro, though), and I find Smugmug more practical for huge numbers of pictures (I have 30k+). Easier to organize, very customizable, etc. But you're right, if the main point is backup, Flickr Pro is definitely the more economical option.

Incidentally, I was noticed that you put your links in the text itself, while all I've been using is the url tag and pasting in the entire link. Mind telling me how you do that? Thanks!

You use the [ url ] tag like this:

[ url=example.com]This is my example[ /url].

When you remove the space in the tag you get this:

This is my example.

Offline elikay

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2011, 05:40:38 PM »
@Ashero
I'm assuming that skydrive doesn't show you the pictures, just filenames. Is this correct?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2011, 05:43:40 PM »
@Ashero
I'm assuming that skydrive doesn't show you the pictures, just filenames. Is this correct?

I don't know, haven't used it. I'm sure thumbnails are viewable online, but not sure about a mapped drive.

Offline lazalaz

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2011, 07:13:28 PM »
I don't know, haven't used it. I'm sure thumbnails are viewable online, but not sure about a mapped drive.

I've also had some issues with SkyDrive to the point where I'm scared to use it.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2011, 07:18:56 PM »
I've also had some issues with SkyDrive to the point where I'm scared to use it.

Kindly elaborate: Did stuff disappear? Were you able to recover it? How long ago was this?

Offline mancunian

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2011, 08:48:35 PM »
i use a program called gladinet to sync to google docs. its a free program which adds the online storage (google docs) as a network hard drive on your computer, so i save everything directly there. you don't need to convert any files to google docs format.
They have a paid option with folder mirroring, unlimited transfers (free is limited to like 1000 files per action or something) etc, but i find this perfect for my use. never noticed it hogging resources, if it doesnt work for some reason it might hog bandwidth for an upload, but u can just push that off. once in a while i've needed to check their site for troublshooting, but its pretty good.
It works with just about every online storage i think, but i wouldnt trust microsoft. or better yet, why not upload to more than 1? u can probably add more than one google account too to get extra security, and remember, google has unlimited storage for docs in google docs format

and @asher - thanks, now i know how to link ;) i should bookmark this page

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2011, 10:33:32 PM »
It works with just about every online storage i think, but i wouldnt trust microsoft. or better yet, why not upload to more than 1? u can probably add more than one google account too to get extra security, and remember, google has unlimited storage for docs in google docs format

and @asher - thanks, now i know how to link ;) i should bookmark this page

Isn't GoogleDocs limited?

You're welcome! Who needs bookmarking? It's easy as pie.

Offline mancunian

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2011, 01:06:01 PM »
Isn't GoogleDocs limited?
You'll have 1 GB of free storage for files you don't convert into one of the Google Docs formats (i.e. Google documents, spreadsheets, and presentations)

i actually havent been using gladinet lately as i've moved pretty much strictly to google docs for editing as well, so no need, and i just havent needed to backup anything i guess

so now i realized it hasent really done any uploading/downloading in about a month. and i cant figure out how to make it work. i tried remounting, wont work. i'm stumped ???