Author Topic: A Quick Jaunt to Paris and Israel  (Read 4767 times)

Offline chucksterace

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 40
    • View Profile
    • LYNX IT Consulting
  • Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Premier 1K; ; LY Plat; Hyatt Platinum; Hertz President's Circle; Avis President's Club
A Quick Jaunt to Paris and Israel
« on: June 25, 2015, 06:36:15 PM »
**Note, I do these reports for two reason, (1) as future references for myself, (2) for reference for others. While they may have info that isn't important, I put it in there for my future reference as well.

Paris, France & Jerusalem, Israel
June 14, 2015 to June 17, 2015

AA/US J – ORD – PHL – CDG
LY Y – CDG – TLV
UA Y – TLV – EWR – ORD
Hotel: None

A quick visit to Paris and Jerusalem over the span of three days.

This summer, my only trip planned was a quick visit to Paris and Israel. I had about 15 hours in Paris, well actually all the time was spent at Le Bourget Airport near Paris, and about 20 hours in Israel. As usually, when taking six flights in 3 days, there was bound to be a horror eventually.

My trip started on June 14th taking AA from ORD to PHL and then US PHL to Paris CDG in Business. This tickets was originally booked back in January when AA/US had the mileage availability glitch. Thankfully I booked the ticket back then, because as of a few weeks before the trip there was nothing available in miles in either Coach, Business, or First.

Landing in CDG around 9am I headed to the free shuttle that would take me to Le Bourget Airport which was hosting the Paris Air Show. Now some might ask why I would travel to Paris just for an Airshow. To put it quickly, this show isn’t just about military planes flying over head, but its one of the biggest and more professional airshows that goes on. This is where all the major airplane manufacturers and others sign their big orders and compete against one another, and finally, there are amazing flying displays with all airplanes, big and small, doing flights that you wouldn’t see anywhere else.

Walking through the show you see planes of every size, from one propeller two seater, to a four engine, double decker, 550 seater A380. There is nothing like walking around them all, being able to see the engines, the wheels, and the whole aircraft from 2 feet away, closer than most people would ever get.

Over 1,000 photos later, and many hours, it was approaching around 5pm. After a FULL, LONG, TIRING, day, I decided to head back to the airport for some relaxing. When I got to the airport I was going to check in for my 11pm flight on El Al from CDG to TLV when they decided to put me on the 7pm flight. After some calls, arranging my taxi to come earlier, and my sleeping arraignments, I was on the 7pm flight landing in Israel 4 hours earlier. And to think I would now get a better sleep that night, NEVER. Somehow, being the last to check-in, on a full flight, I got a full row to myself to get some rest after LOOOONG day.

Landing in Tel Aviv, going through customs, I got pulled aside for some **extra** questioning. This could have been because of my frequent short trips to Israel or from the recent stamp from Dubai, whichever the reason, 20 minutes later I was free and on the way out.

Now the fun part.

After I got to the house I was staying at, the fun soon began. When landing in Paris earlier, I got an email from United that my original routing, TLV-IST-FRA-ORD, the IST to FRA flight was cancelled and they put me on the TLV-EWR flight Tuesday night three hours earlier. While some may see this as a good thing, I was now stuck in the last row aisle seat, when I was in the exit rows before.

But thankfully, I soon decided to watch to Blackhawks game and was able to see them clinch their third Stanley Cup in six years. GO BLACKHAWKS. Just to note, I was also in Israel to watch the first Cup six years early. Israel luck? But another note, there went a sleepless night, and no sleep today or the next night.

Spending some time with my family, I soon went out for Breakfast when I got another email that my United flight was delayed 8 hours to 7am the next (Wednesday) morning. About 2 hours later I got yet another email that the flight was cancelled. Oh no.

With my return now up in the air, I decided to go back to the house and have a NICE call with United. Low and behold, my flight wasn’t cancelled, but it was just switched out with a new flight number. Because of this, I was now able to grab the exit row Aisle, totally doable.

The rest of the day went well and enjoyable having a decent real breakfast now that everything was taken care of and a visit to get some spiritual relaxing in the old city and Western Wall.

Finally, the that night I just stayed back, relaxing, and did some work. Around 4 am I went to the airport, chilled in the lounge, and soon after boarding my flight back home. When the cancellation happened I guess everyone did not rebook and therefor my flight was now half full. Because of this, I now had a full row in the back and for the first time in three days had a decent sleep of longer than 6 hours. Sleeping 8 hours on a plane, IN COACH, is never bad. Why spend double the amount of miles when I can have a ghetto upgrade and have a bed in the back.

And just like that this trip has come to a close. Three days, five flights, three countries later, I am back exactly where I started.

Note:
6/14 ORD – PHL – CDG
6/15 CDG – TLV
6/17 TLV – EWR – ORD (Originally was TLV – IST – FRA – ORD)

Some Photos below, more here - https://www.flickr.com/gp/109380213@N04/79q00Z
You may not hold me responsible for any actions taken that were recommended from my account or username.

Offline chucksterace

• View Profile
    • LYNX IT Consulting
  • Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Premier 1K; ; LY Plat; Hyatt Platinum; Hertz President's Circle; Avis President's Club
Re: A Quick Jaunt to Paris and Israel
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 06:37:10 PM »

You may not hold me responsible for any actions taken that were recommended from my account or username.

Offline chucksterace

• View Profile
    • LYNX IT Consulting
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 06:37:17 PM »

« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 06:42:59 PM by chucksterace »

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 07:12:24 PM »
Awesome pics! Nice TR!

Offline @Yehuda

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 07:17:55 PM »
Fun! Nice quick trip! Thanks for writing it up.

Offline srf60

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 07:37:25 PM »
Nice pics, please post some more when you have a chance. Thanks

Offline chucksterace

• View Profile
    • LYNX IT Consulting
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 07:39:48 PM »
Nice pics, please post some more when you have a chance. Thanks

There are some in the Flckr album in my original post. I'll put more there in the upcoming week.

Offline srf60

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 08:13:59 PM »
There are some in the Flckr album in my original post. I'll put more there in the upcoming week.
Got it, thanks. I should've come along..........

Offline damaxer91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 10:52:30 AM »
Nice pics!

Offline shoobi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2015, 11:21:25 AM »
But thankfully, I soon decided to watch to Blackhawks game and was able to see them clinch their third Stanley Cup in six years. GO BLACKHAWKS. Just to note, I was also in Israel to watch the first Cup six years early.

I grew up in Chicago myself and still go back there many times a year (thanks to Southwest Companion Pass  :)), tons of family still there... So yeah, pretty pumping... I was watching it too

Offline Yaalili

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2015, 12:35:20 PM »
Cool that you got the airshow.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2015, 12:34:01 AM »
Wow, dude. I thought I was crazy doing Brazil for 2 hours. This feels crazier.

Cool pics, tho.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Fan of Dan

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2015, 12:43:15 AM »
Great report sounds like a lot of fun.