Poll

Which would you prefer?

6 AM
25 (78.1%)
6 PM
7 (21.9%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: DD daily email  (Read 11092 times)

Offline elikay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: DD daily email
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2011, 01:32:49 AM »
If you have Firefox you can have Rss feeds as dropdowns

Offline Yordai Dooma

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2011, 10:15:32 AM »
Notice how the last four deals were posted AFTER 6 PM yesterday, and 3 of the 4 were posted around midnight. A 6 PM email means those people will see them sat night. Even if it wasn't Friday, they wouldn't see them until 18 hours after being posted.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2011, 10:19:10 AM »
Unfortunately I can't make everyone happy, that's life.

All I know is I used to get a number of emails a week complaining about various things with the old time, and now that has stopped....(waiting for the new email complaining campaign to begin ;))

I don't see the option in Google Feedburner to give users the option to control the time.

I don't even like the whole daily email concept anyway, it took Eli harassing me I think to put it up there (apparently he was right as there are 1,700 subscribers to a feature I don't even push)...why not just use twitter or rss?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Chachem Balaileh

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Priority Club Gold, KingFisher Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Gold,Accor Gold,National Executive, Hertz PC,Delta Gold medallion
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2011, 10:25:35 AM »
Just be thankfull that there is a "dansdeals" u get a finger now we want a hand" and then  to customize it to our specifics,
i find it kinda odd  8)
Dan keep up the great service  :-X
:) Smile & G-d will give u a reason to smile

Offline Yordai Dooma

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2011, 10:26:00 AM »
Unfortunately I can't make everyone happy, that's life.

All I know is I used to get a number of emails a week complaining about various things with the old time, and now that has stopped....(waiting for the new email complaining campaign to begin ;))

I don't see the option in Google Feedburner to give users the option to control the time.

I don't even like the whole daily email concept anyway, it took Eli harassing me I think to put it up there (apparently he was right as there are 1,700 subscribers to a feature I don't even push)...why not just use twitter or rss?

Dont have twitter, dont have facebook, etc.
RSS is convenient when on a computer. It was always nice to wake up, and see the email as i go through my hundreds of emails every morning on my bb. It was so easy to open up and get a synopsis of what was just posted a few hours earlier while the rest of the world was sleeping.

Do you not agree that most of your posts are made at around midnight? Doesnt it seem pointless to send out an email summarizing the daily posts 18 hours after they were posted? Wouldnt it make more sense to send it out right after you make the bulk of your posts?

It used to come at 6 AM CST which is 7 AM EST. That woke people up? Aside from the fact that they have to learn to turn the phone off before going to bed, most people who are a part of society are up by then or are getting up then.

I understand that you dont even see the function of it, but clearly it is useful to people (like me). As "useless" as it is. how could it possibly make sense to send the email 18 hours after you post the deals?

To top it off- Almost every company in the world sends their emails overnight. I always have a huge inbox every morning full of junk...but the DD email is the kicker huh? Thats the bad one "waking" people up? The other ones arrive silently?  ;D If an email is waking them up, that means they have a smartphone with lots of capabilities including changing the profiles that ring/vibrate for various things.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 10:40:53 AM by David »

Offline Yordai Dooma

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2011, 10:27:56 AM »
Just be thankfull that there is a "dansdeals" u get a finger now we want a hand" and then  to customize it to our specifics,
i find it kinda odd  8)
Dan keep up the great service  :-X
Thats the spirit :-X . If you got nothing to say about the topic, no need to put your nose in ;)

Offline regalhome

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2011, 10:37:44 AM »

I personally don`t use this service since i check the site(I`m an addict ;)), but if you switch to http://www.feedblitz.com/ it seems they have an option for the subscriber to choose the time of delivery.

Offline danielz

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2011, 10:57:13 AM »
I have never heard anything more ridiculous than a 6pm email. As if you haven't been online all day! I want a 6AM that I can look at while I'm drinking coffee (or davening).

Dan: get us a 6 AM!!!!! 6AM!!!!!! 6AM!!!!!!!!

Offline lubaby

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2011, 11:53:29 AM »
@David
You can do sign up for the DD RSS feed straight to your blackberry's "social feeds" app

Offline Yordai Dooma

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2011, 10:23:53 AM »
It looks like im not the only one who would appreciate the email at 6 AM as it originally was...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2011, 11:46:37 AM »
It ultimately boils down to the fact that I was constantly getting emails asking why they were getting "today only" notices when it was no longer today.

I haven't received 1 complaint since switching the time until this post...

Honestly DDF'ers, I'm surprised you don't just subscribe to the twitter alerts via SMS or email.  Any truly good deal (think LAS) will be long gone by the time a 6am or 6pm email gets to you.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Yordai Dooma

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2011, 11:57:58 AM »
It ultimately boils down to the fact that I was constantly getting emails asking why they were getting "today only" notices when it was no longer today.

I haven't received 1 complaint since switching the time until this post...

Honestly DDF'ers, I'm surprised you don't just subscribe to the twitter alerts via SMS or email.  Any truly good deal (think LAS) will be long gone by the time a 6am or 6pm email gets to you.

They would have the same problem if you posted a "today only" deal at 9 PM and got the email at 6 PM the next day. Or if you posted a deal like the LAS deal which happened on shabbos and was still somewhat alive on Sunday morning at 6 AM. The email wouldnt have gotten to people until 6 PM on sunday when it 100% dead. People dont have the seichel to realize that a today only deal is only valid on the day it was posted?

The votes show 83% of people would rather the 6 AM email. Doesnt that say something?

Im subscribed to other sites that send a daily email and very often the email does get to me after the deal is dead. it happens. Anyone who wants to make sure they dont miss a deal will subscribe to one of the methods that will provide a sure notification. Obviously this email doesnt do that... What it DOES do is provide a synopsis of whats occurred since the prior email. Being that the site is almost always updated around midnight, it just makes sense to send out an email synopsis right after its been updated instead of 18 hours later.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2011, 12:11:18 PM »
They would have the same problem if you posted a "today only" deal at 9 PM and got the email at 6 PM the next day.
Rarely will I post a "today only" deal late a night.

Or if you posted a deal like the LAS deal which happened on shabbos and was still somewhat alive on Sunday morning at 6 AM.
It wasn't AFAIK.

People dont have the seichel to realize that a today only deal is only valid on the day it was posted?
You'd be shocked if I showed you just a quarter of the email people send me...the lack of common sense some people have never ceases to amaze me.

The votes show 83% of people would rather the 6 AM email. Doesnt that say something?
That if you're on DDF you have some seichel.  But the fact that a minuscule percentage of DD readers use DDF though...and all of those complaint emails from people were annoying me ;)

Im subscribed to other sites that send a daily email and very often the email does get to me after the deal is dead. it happens. Anyone who wants to make sure they dont miss a deal will subscribe to one of the methods that will provide a sure notification. Obviously this email doesnt do that... What it DOES do is provide a synopsis of whats occurred since the prior email.
You'd think people would realize that, but they just don't.  Frankly I don't know what they thing.  They also say, "I thought you were frum all this time?" after getting a feedburner email on shabbos.
Being that the site is almost always updated around midnight, it just makes sense to send out an email synopsis right after its been updated instead of 18 hours later.
I've actually been moving away from that since getting back from my trip.
A quick count of front page deals (excluding ads) shows that 23 deals were posted between 6am-6pm and 13 deals were posted between 6pm-6am.

Offline Yordai Dooma

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2011, 12:28:56 PM »
The LAS deal was posted at 8 PM and was dead at around 4 AM. (my bad). Regardless, neither a 6 AM nor a 6 PM email would have caught it. Anyone who wants to make sure they dont miss a deal should subscribe to one of the methods that will provide a sure notification.

Bottom line Dan, do you honestly still think a 6 PM is more useful to most people?
Or are you doing it so you get less annoying emails?
OR.......do the "today only" deals pay more for bringing people to that site and a 6 PM email will get more people to use your links ;)

When the email came at 6 AM, i always read it when on the way to shul. When it comes at 6 PM it  just gets deleted without even opening as i have already been to the site countless times throughout the day (like most people)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2011, 12:59:00 PM »
ok, all i can say is WOW! Those emails deserve a thread on their own. Maybe you should post them someplace as you receive them so we can all have some good laughs.

I choked just trying to read that timestamp one.

I rest my case...if its the annoyance factor, im sure i can find another way to get updates in the AM. (was using a site called http://www.followthatpage.com/ for a while). It was very nice to have the morning email, but if it brings in less of these, just keep it status quo. (Could you at least call me back about the defective DVD player?? ;))
Maybe a thread in the shmooze board :)  That's just a drop in the bucket.

May I suggest signing up for twitter and having setting it up to sms or email you whenever there's an update?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2011, 01:01:46 PM »
You'd think people would realize that, but they just don't.  Frankly I don't know what they thing.  They also say, "I thought you were frum all this time?" after getting a feedburner email on shabbos.I've actually been moving away from that since getting back from my trip.

Maybe that think [sic] in their head doesn't work.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Yordai Dooma

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2011, 01:05:10 PM »
Maybe a thread in the shmooze board :)  That's just a drop in the bucket.
We can start the thread, but only one of us will be able to post the ridiculous emails as the come in.

May I suggest signing up for twitter and having setting it up to sms or email you whenever there's an update?
I just really despise twitter, facebook, linkedin and all that stuff. I've managed to get this far without joining any of them and dont want to join just to get a text message. I was still reading the daily 6 AM email even with getting updates from http://www.followthatpage.com/ within minutes of your new posts. It was just a really convenient way to get the morning summary.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2011, 01:30:41 PM »
I just really despise twitter, facebook, linkedin and all that stuff.
Second time I get to post this in one day :)

Offline Yordai Dooma

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2011, 01:33:10 PM »
Second time I get to post this in one day :)

No thanks...im on a diet- Im starting to look like the good year blimp ;)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2011, 01:54:30 PM »
I just really despise twitter, facebook, linkedin and all that stuff.

Saying Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter are all in the same category expresses how little you understand those services.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)