Topic Wiki

Hi and welcome to the USA Rental Car Master thread!

This thread is designated to help members find the best available rate for their car rental. As with all things if you don't want to help yourself others will not help you. It is always best that you do some research with each individual company before asking for help.

All companies have corporate discounts that lower standard internet rates here is a roundup of them.
Here are the links to some of them

Please ensure that you have posted using the format below. Leaving anything blank may result in no response.

Press select, then copy the text to your post and fill it out

Code: [Select]
[b]Pickup location[/b]:
[b]Drop Off location[/b]:
[b]Pickup date & time[/b]:
[b]Drop Off Date & Time[/b]
[b]Preferred Car Size[/b]:
[b]Age[/b] (if under 25):
[b]Best quote[/b]:

After you have rented please share you experience with others in the What did you reserve? What did you get? thread.
« Last edited by avadah on January 28, 2015, 02:54:39 PM »

Author Topic: USA: Need help finding a rental car? Post here! (Master thread)  (Read 967608 times)

Offline MnM1130

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Need help finding a rental car? Post here! (Master thread)
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2011, 06:16:25 AM »
Peru Hertz with USAA CDP 79664. Airport fee $30, $146/wk $35/day. Total for your dates (with taxes): $289
If you have an Amex you can probably get this http://www.dansdeals.com/forums/index.php?topic=10597.msg131773#new
Or try  Avis with Citi AWD.

"Discount (CDP) Number - please enter a valid CDP Number [NRX116]"

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2011, 06:30:57 AM »
"Discount (CDP) Number - please enter a valid CDP Number [NRX116]"
my bad. Cdp is 77694
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline MnM1130

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2011, 06:48:01 AM »
Peru Hertz with USAA CDP 79664. Airport fee $30, $146/wk $35/day. Total for your dates (with taxes): $289
If you have an Amex you can probably get this http://www.dansdeals.com/forums/index.php?topic=10597.msg131773#new
Or try  Avis with Citi AWD.
the chpst i was able to find thru avis peru was 349$ (which is pretty good..) but wondering how you were able to pull off 289$

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2011, 07:01:29 AM »
the chpst i was able to find thru avis peru was 349$ (which is pretty good..) but wondering how you were able to pull off 289$
I guess u meant hertz peru. When u put in your dates it prices it as a wk plus 2 days. Make sure u check every car class. & u r using the USaa cdp
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline MnM1130

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2011, 07:14:53 AM »
I guess u meant hertz peru. When u put in your dates it prices it as a wk plus 2 days. Make sure u check every car class. & u r using the USaa cdp
ya hertz peru...  i didnt check every car class though- i just chose the chpst one there... and i was using the usaa cdp.. can you check if you get anything diff? thanks..

Offline MnM1130

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2011, 07:19:31 AM »
ya hertz peru...  i didnt check every car class though- i just chose the chpst one there... and i was using the usaa cdp.. can you check if you get anything diff? thanks..
i c now.. i was signed in as a hertz gold member- is prices it a bit higher... so if i do it not as a gold member i get the lower price as you quoted... can i thank after put in my hertz gold number? how does that work?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2011, 08:21:06 AM »
i c now.. i was signed in as a hertz gold member- is prices it a bit higher... so if i do it not as a gold member i get the lower price as you quoted... can i thank after put in my hertz gold number? how does that work?
essentially u can call in and ask to assign ur hrtz number. Only they might realize you're american and its booked from a foreign site. YMMV

Offline MnM1130

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2011, 08:48:59 AM »
essentially u can call in and ask to assign ur hrtz number. Only they might realize you're american and its booked from a foreign site. YMMV
hey it can work.. im in israel!

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2011, 10:05:53 AM »
hey it can work.. im in israel!
I just figured u can just open a new gold acct with a Peru address. I think you'll be ok though with your regular acct.

Offline elikay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2011, 10:26:07 AM »
@MnM Do you davka need Gold? you can always add it later (after you return the rental).
@PG thanks, I will look into it. That drop fee is quite annoying!

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2011, 10:31:43 AM »
@MnM Do you davka need Gold? you can always add it later (after you return the rental).
@PG thanks, I will look into it. That drop fee is quite annoying!
He should get Gold to bypass the counter, & avoid the questions.
That specific car doesn't have a drop fee. Thats why I told u the amex pc and usaa code and RQ - IDK whats the ikar here.

Offline Jkhein

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2011, 09:10:51 PM »
I read a few times along the lines that there are heimishe agents that can get good deals for a short period etc.
I need a car tomorrom 10/26 for two days in monsey - small car - cheapest I found was enterprise chabad $51 a day and it says that local taxes and fees may apply. I think its alot are there any cheaper around? Thanks

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2011, 10:39:27 PM »
reporting on my experience... I booked my friend through Hertz Peru. Today (before the rental) I signed him up to Hertz Gold (thru USAA link to allow under-21). The computer gave me a message: u previousely selected your country of residnece as Peru. Are u sure u live in the US. I clicked yes.
Going back 2 check the reservation. It says its for a gold member (autmatically by driving license #.
In theory he will just pickl up the car & nothing can go wrong. Ill report back tomorrow.

Offline Cashman

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2011, 11:29:53 PM »
Need help for a family member. One way rental Starting in Toronto Ontario on Oct 26 and returning in Lakewood N.J. on Oct 27.

Offline elig770

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2011, 12:07:37 AM »
To: IAD
Start Date: 10/31/11 (7am)
End Date: 11/03/11 (7pm)
Car Class: Full
Renters age: 22
Rental Company: Any

So I originally reserved a car from Hertz with the Chabad CDP for $458... It seemed to be the cheapest I was able to find.

After reading through the thread I tried booking the same reservation on Hertz Peru and it came out to $417 instead of the original $458. Then I tried again, while not logged onto to my gold account and with the same Chabad CDP the rental comes out to $361... While looking at the 2 reservations I noticed on the one booked while logged onto gold there's an additional $50 "Liability Insurance Supplement" fee and the "Airport Concession Fee Recovery On Flight Arrivals" fee is $5 more.

Bottom line right now I have 3 reservations and I really wonder what's going to happen. Anyone have any input?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2011, 07:03:03 AM »
So I originally reserved a car from Hertz with the Chabad CDP for $458... It seemed to be the cheapest I was able to find.

After reading through the thread I tried booking the same reservation on Hertz Peru and it came out to $417 instead of the original $458. Then I tried again, while not logged onto to my gold account and with the same Chabad CDP the rental comes out to $361... While looking at the 2 reservations I noticed on the one booked while logged onto gold there's an additional $50 "Liability Insurance Supplement" fee and the "Airport Concession Fee Recovery On Flight Arrivals" fee is $5 more.

Bottom line right now I have 3 reservations and I really wonder what's going to happen. Anyone have any input?
First thing you wann try is to do the BOS-IAD for only 1 day then rent a reg IAD-IAD for the rest. If you go through canada and a few SA sites you'll probably get sometthing better. Get hertz gold to avoid the counter and possible questions. (Free through link of USAA).
Is your per day price high or is it the drop fee?

Offline elig770

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2011, 01:18:21 PM »
First thing you wann try is to do the BOS-IAD for only 1 day then rent a reg IAD-IAD for the rest. If you go through canada and a few SA sites you'll probably get sometthing better. Get hertz gold to avoid the counter and possible questions. (Free through link of USAA).
Is your per day price high or is it the drop fee?
Well I won't be going directly to D.C. so I'll need to keep it to the 4 days. Right now I have Hertz Gold, I signed up a few years ago for free, but I haven't rented on it yet so my gold service isn't "confirmed" and I still need to walk into the counter, Is there anyway to avoid that?
Now about the rate... On the US site it was daily rate of $84/day so 4 days and all the taxes... On the Peru site its a weekly rate... Thanks for your input. I'll check a  few other countries as well and if anyone has any idea of how to not have to walk inside to the counter please let me know...

One more thing... Using the USAA CDP, do you need to actually be a member of USAA? And to what extent, would I need to open a bank account with them or would it be good enough just to make an online account??

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2011, 01:50:26 PM »
To be a member of USAA u just have to fill out a form... No bank acct. I think it helps for insurance too.

If its giving u only weekly rates... Maybe book 3 days + 1 day or s/t... Try to get the site to give a daily price. My internet is down, tethering seems to be a network wide issue
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 01:54:54 PM by PlatinumGuy »

Offline MnM1130

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2011, 02:14:55 PM »
Made the reservation thru hertz peru (289) and than after added in the gold number... my dad went to pick up the car in jfk airport and b"h all went well and no problems... but he didnt get any gold benefits. He had to wait in line and didnt get any upgrades... but still saved a fortune!!! thanks!

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2011, 02:20:10 PM »
Made the reservation thru hertz peru (289) and than after added in the gold number... my dad went to pick up the car in jfk airport and b"h all went well and no problems... but he didnt get any gold benefits. He had to wait in line and didnt get any upgrades... but still saved a fortune!!! thanks!
thanks for sharing. For my friend, it assigned gold autmatically. Since the reservation didn't have his license # it must've been by email address. (Dif IP address). Still waiting to hear what happens with his