Author Topic: So Called Orthodox Jew Stabs 6 at parade in Jerusalem  (Read 33250 times)

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Re: So Called Orthodox Jew Stabs 6 at parade in Jerusalem
« Reply #200 on: August 04, 2015, 12:20:46 PM »
I don't remember the exact pratim of what happened there. IIRC he wrote that the killer of the arab boy had blood on his hands for inciting the Arabs to violence. Even if he may have stated that opinion in an unreasonable tone, the opinion itself is another world from condoning murder.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #201 on: August 04, 2015, 12:33:40 PM »
I don't remember the exact pratim of what happened there. IIRC he wrote that the killer of the arab boy had blood on his hands for inciting the Arabs to violence. Even if he may have stated that opinion in an unreasonable tone, the opinion itself is another world from condoning murder.
He said that those that went to har habayis had blood on their hands and that they were rodfim and rotzchim.  Which Chaikel felt crossed the line into libel and therefore he issued a weeklong suspension.

Regardless, I guess the question is does the community support stepping up the moderation level?  I know it didn't then. I didn't make that call, but the mods can issue suspensions and moderate as they see fit. I don't think we've issued any in the interim, though AJ3042 was warned previously to tone it down.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline stbaum

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 04, 2015, 12:35:11 PM »
He said that those that went to har habayis had blood on their hands and that they were rodfim and rotzchim.  Which Chaikel felt crossed the line into libel and therefore he issued a weeklong suspension.

Regardless, I guess the question is does the community support stepping up the moderation level?  I know it didn't then.

start a new thread with multiple poll options
My greatest achievement? I am fluent in FRIENDS quotes

Offline Menachem613

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 04, 2015, 01:47:22 PM »

Regardless, I guess the question is does the community support stepping up the moderation level?  I know it didn't then. I didn't make that call, but the mods can issue suspensions and moderate as they see fit. I don't think we've issued any in the interim, though AJ3042 was warned previously to tone it down.

Although I disagree so much with their statements that I want to scream, I don't believe in tightening control over comments. I think free speech, even if painful, is more important.

Offline Aaaron

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 04, 2015, 01:53:46 PM »
Would it be possible to employ a "block" feature where you can choose not to see posts by certain members?  It probably wouldn't block them from when they're quoted, but still.

Offline JoeyShmoe

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 04, 2015, 01:58:54 PM »
Would it be possible to employ a "block" feature where you can choose not to see posts by certain members?  It probably wouldn't block them from when they're quoted, but still.

Under Profile Settings > Modify Profile there should be an option "Buddies/Ignore List", if you add a user to that list you won't see their messages
DDF A-Z Link Extension
Chrome
Firefox
Info

Offline yochiek93

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 04, 2015, 02:00:01 PM »
Although I disagree so much with their statements that I want to scream, I don't believe in tightening control over comments. I think free speech, even if painful, is more important.
+1

Offline Aaaron

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 04, 2015, 02:00:46 PM »
Under Profile Settings > Modify Profile there should be an option "Buddies/Ignore List", if you add a user to that list you won't see their messages

Cool, thanks.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 04, 2015, 02:47:41 PM »
At my work I interact with many Muslims and have political discussions with them. Whenever a discussion comes up about a terrorist bombing they condemn it. They then go on in a backdoor manor to justify the attack. They will say things like "it was terrible what happened but I understand why they did it". The exact same thing is playing out with certain members here. They do not fool me and you don't either.
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline Moshe123

• View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #209 on: August 04, 2015, 02:49:52 PM »
At my work I interact with many Muslims and have political discussions with them. Whenever a discussion comes up about a terrorist bombing they condemn it. They then go on in a backdoor manor to justify the attack. They will say things like "it was terrible what happened but I understand why they did it". The exact same thing is playing out with certain members here. They do not fool me and you don't either.

Do they slip in bombs in the mail?

Offline MK26

• Non-Elite Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: August 04, 2015, 02:51:35 PM »
Hi folks,

Firstly I wanna clarify that in no way do I justify the action of the stabbing, I’m no ruv but I believe there’s no way he was allowed to stab those people, this guy is definitely mentally retarded and needs to be isolated.

BUT the problem here is that people are way angrier at this stabber then they’re on other killers,
And the reason isn’t cause this guy was mechalel shem shumayim, had this be the reason then they’d be even more upset on all those who participated in this ugly parade,
Those people were (and are) mechalel shem shumayim on the worst way possible,   
Marching down the streets of Eretz Yisroel showing support for something that causes abnormal pain for Hoshem rch”l, and yet no one gave a damn.

The reason we see people being so so angry on what happened is because they’re all liberal people, they don’t admire people who go out of the way for the sake of Hoshem EVEN when they do no violence and their only intension is to be a better Jew and do something more for Hoshem.

Just this week there was a trip report posted here on the forum, there was a discussion about visiting a temple,
There was that guy who questioned the poster if he was allowed to visit those places, I agree he asked it in an extremely wrong tone and that’s definitely not the way of asking BUT the conversation from there and on wasn’t about his asking tone (I know some did mention it but the main discussion want about that),
He was screamed at; “Who are you? Mind your own business…” etc. etc.,
Since when is this the way of a Jewish life?  Everyone is responsible to question and correct wrong acts which is done by others, of course in the right tone and in the right way.

So why was everyone angry at him? Cause people are liberal and don’t like those who question their liberality and address those issues.

Back to our story,
There was this terrible parade going on in Eretz Yisroel but no one gave a damn, who cares? They should do what they want…. It’s not my problem, BUT RIBOINY SHEL OILEM these people are Jews and they do such terrible things which cause such tremendous pain to our beloved father, aren’t you supposed to be shattered to pieces and cry about it?
I guess the answer is “no”, why? Cause you don’t care much about Hoshem,

In general when you pull the chilel hoshem card what you really mean is that we shouldn’t be too much different from the whole world, we shouldn’t do things which would identify that were Jewish.

And that’s why it’s no problem to make fun of;
People who wont shake hands with opposite gender
Women who shave their head for the sake of hoshem
People who would very much try to avoid sitting on a plane next to a female
People who question you if your act is according halucha
Etc. etc.

Again, people cannot do anything they want in the name of Hoshem, but when something happens then why look ONLY at what had that Jew possibly done wrong and totally ignore everything else in the picture.

I’m not here to argue, I just couldn’t take what’s going on in this world.

I hope you people will understand what I wrote (I know my grammar is bad, but that doesn't make my points anything less valuable) and won't pick and choose my words to argue on.

PS I absolutely didn't mean to accuse anyone personally, and I hope I wasn't offensive. 

Thanks for reading.

Offline yochiek93

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 04, 2015, 03:03:34 PM »
Hi folks,

Firstly I wanna clarify that in no way do I justify the action of the stabbing, I’m no ruv but I believe there’s no way he was allowed to stab those people, this guy is definitely mentally retarded and needs to be isolated.

BUT the problem here is that people are way angrier at this stabber then they’re on other killers,
And the reason isn’t cause this guy was mechalel shem shumayim, had this be the reason then they’d be even more upset on all those who participated in this ugly parade,
Marching down the streets of Eretz Yisroel showing support for something that causes abnormal pain for Hoshem rch”l, and yet no one gave a damn.

The reason we see people being so so angry on what happened is because they’re all liberal people, they don’t admire people who go out of the way for the sake of Hoshem EVEN when they do no violence and their only intension is to be a better Jew and do something more for Hoshem.

Just this week there was a trip report posted here on the forum, there was a discussion about visiting a temple,
There was that guy who questioned the poster if he was allowed to visit those places, I agree he asked it in an extremely wrong tone and that’s definitely not the way of asking BUT the conversation from there and on wasn’t about his asking tone (I know some did mention it but the main discussion want about that),
Since when is this the way of a Jewish life?  Everyone is responsible to question and correct wrong acts which is done by others, of course in the right tone and in the right way.

So why was everyone angry at him? Cause people are liberal and don’t like those who question their liberality and address those issues.

Back to our story,
There was this terrible parade going on in Eretz Yisroel but no one gave a damn, who cares? They should do what they want…. It’s not my problem, BUT RIBOINY SHEL OILEM these people are Jews and they do such terrible things which cause such tremendous pain to our beloved father, aren’t you supposed to be shattered to pieces and cry about it?

In general when you pull the chilel hoshem card what you really mean is that we shouldn’t be too much different from the whole world, we shouldn’t do things which would identify that were Jewish.

Etc. etc.

Again, people cannot do anything they want in the name of Hoshem, but when something happens then why look ONLY at what had that Jew possibly done wrong and totally ignore everything else in the picture.

I hope you people will understand what I wrote (I know my grammar is bad, but that doesn't make my points anything less valuable) and won't pick and choose my words to argue on.

PS I absolutely didn't mean to accuse anyone personally, and I hope I wasn't offensive. 

Thanks for reading.
You are 100% right and there was a protest against it, so yes we do care.

Offline gavhaller

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Chase Visa Supreme, Avis Cadillac, Hyatt Vacation Club Owner, Disney Annual-Pass Holder, BA Avios Executive Corporate Shareholder VIP, Citi Platinum Status, Owner Of DFS - Discover Financial Services
« Reply #212 on: August 04, 2015, 04:00:42 PM »
Hi folks,

SOURCE?

Offline Aaaron

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 04, 2015, 04:08:54 PM »
Hi folks,

Back to our story,

Etc. etc.

Thanks for reading.

Yay! I finally understand why I'm upset at the stabber!   ::)

There's a clear dichotomy between being mechalel ahem hashem, but not harming others, and being mechalel His ahem and KILLING innocents. That's why it bothers me. This thread is a forum/venue to discuss the stabbing. Want to discuss the parade? Start another thread. Same was said multiple times in the TR you're referencing. Its about time and place.

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 04, 2015, 04:22:30 PM »
Hi folks,

Back to our story,

Etc. etc.

Thanks for reading.

gotta love those vowels!

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #215 on: August 04, 2015, 05:27:12 PM »
Hi folks,

BUT

Anytime you are speaking about the defense of a murder and start with a BUT, you should probably stop. It's not going to go well.

the problem here is that people are way angrier at this stabber then they’re on other killers,

No, the problem here is that a guy murdered someone. Another problem is that people are defending said murderer. No one was comparing murders.

So you believe that participating in a gay pride parade is WORSE than murder. I'm hoping that seeing your position spelled out a bit clearer will help you realize that you are wrong morally, halachically and every otherly you can think of.

I might have thought that until a guy went and murdered someone at a parade, and then someone else burned a child. So yes, I believe there are far worse ways.

I can't speak for others, but I do give a damn. that doesn't mean we condone murdering or harming anyone responsible for that. And why do you think this pain is any more "abnormal" than any other pain, like say, murder, or defending murder, or casting aspersions on the giving a damn of other Jews about matters of holiness and chillul Hashem?

The reason we see people being so so angry on what happened is because they’re all liberal people,

Liberal can have many definitions, but the way most people here would use the term, almost all the people who are so angry on this forum are certainly NOT liberal, and have made that clear on many threads.

they don’t admire people who go out of the way for the sake of Hoshem

For instance?

EVEN when they do no violence and their only intension is to be a better Jew and do something more for Hoshem.

This thread is about a stabbing of a human being by a self-identified orthodox Jew. You have other instances about people doing things to be better Jews that you feel deserve recognition? Start a thread which highlights their actions, we'd love to hear about them.

Ma inyan shmita etzel har Sinai?

There was that guy who questioned the poster if he was allowed to visit those places, I agree he asked it in an extremely wrong tone and that’s definitely not the way of asking
No, he didn't ask. He accused. Very big difference. Later on, someone does ask, and I thought it was fine, but he later clarifies his polite question as a holier-than-though accusation.

BUT the conversation from there and on wasn’t about his asking tone (I know some did mention it but the main discussion want about that),

Because he accused, and he did it in someone's TR. Had he asked politely, he probably would have been directed to ask the same question in the halacha thread, or to start a new thread. It is a discussion many would like to have on this forum. But don't clog up someone else's thread with your disparaging comments about them. It is just plain rude.

Since when is this the way of a Jewish life? 

To embarrass people publicly by accusing them of breaking halacha? Indeed! Since when?!

Everyone is responsible to question and correct wrong acts which is done by others, of course in the right tone and in the right way.
Precisely. Everyone is responsible to question and correct themselves. Rebuking others comes with many, many clauses. Most notably, knowing your words will be received in the intended manner, which clearly was NOT the case in this instance.

That doesn't even make sense.

Back to our story,
The murder you are not defending, but are writing a heck of a lot to say what, exactly?

There was this terrible parade going on in Eretz Yisroel but no one gave a damn, who cares?
Again, being against a murder does not equal condoning the parade.

They should do what they want…. It’s not my problem, BUT RIBOINY SHEL OILEM these people are Jews and they do such terrible things which cause such tremendous pain to our beloved father, aren’t you supposed to be shattered to pieces and cry about it?
Yes. But maybe also ask yourself why you are crying so bitterly about THIS terrible thing, and not the other terrible things being done by those much closer to us.

You made up your own answer to the question that wasn't based on anything, so I guess the reasoning can be made up too.

Your mind reading is incredible. Too bad it is so horribly off base, and flies in the face of pretty much everyone's comment history on this forum.
Etc. etc.

You might want to check again if people are mocking those actions, or if they are extremely frustrated as to HOW those actions are often done and how they are presented publicly.

Do you not see the hypocrisy here? We're speaking about a murder, and you keep trying to bring in "the bigger picture" of the chilul Hashem the parade is, and how indefensibly awful the acts of these Jews are, but then criticize people for not looking at the bigger picture and "criticizing the Jew." Why is the murderer less deserving of critique parade goers?

Perhaps say a kapital Tehillim.

Indeed, one need not pick on spelling or grammar to find this post is not valuable, the ideas presented are horrific in their own right.

What is offensive are your outrageous moral equivalencies, and trying to downplay horror at a murder and call it "being liberal."

Thanks for reading.

Right back at ya

Offline gavhaller

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Chase Visa Supreme, Avis Cadillac, Hyatt Vacation Club Owner, Disney Annual-Pass Holder, BA Avios Executive Corporate Shareholder VIP, Citi Platinum Status, Owner Of DFS - Discover Financial Services
« Reply #216 on: August 04, 2015, 05:29:01 PM »
Talk about shakla vtarya.
Thanks for ripping him apart :)

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #217 on: August 04, 2015, 05:30:04 PM »
Yes, I know what I said earlier. But as it wasn't AJ or Doodle I went for it. Probably wasn't a good move.

Offline yochiek93

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 04, 2015, 05:38:50 PM »
Yes, I know what I said earlier. But as it wasn't AJ or Doodle I went for it. Probably wasn't a good move.
wow that's harsh for someone that signed up today, but well said!!!

Offline Aaaron

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 04, 2015, 05:48:27 PM »
Anytime you are speaking about the defense of a murder and start with a BUT, you should probably stop. It's not going to go well....

"...Shakla V'Tarya.."