Author Topic: I.d. requirements traveling to canada  (Read 4410 times)

Offline Mordyk

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
I.d. requirements traveling to canada
« on: August 14, 2015, 10:25:51 AM »
I need advice and only from experience.
Will they let an 18 year old presenting a photo i.d. and birth certificate accross the border driving? TIA

P.s.  the official rules i know
#TYH

Offline BKYW

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: I.d. requirements traveling to canada
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 02:08:44 PM »
BTW the official rules is that's it's OK

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5082-eng.html

Identification documents required

When you enter Canada, a border services officer may ask to see your passport and a valid visa (if you are arriving from a country from which one is required). If you are a United States citizen (U.S.), you do not need a passport to enter Canada; however, you should carry proof of your citizenship such as a birth certificate, a certificate of citizenship or naturalization or a Certificate of Indian Status, as well as a photo ID. If you are a permanent resident of the U.S., you must bring your permanent resident card with you.

All travellers, including U.S. citizens, are encouraged to visit the U.S. Customs and Border Protection's Web site at www.cbp.gov for information on the U.S. Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative and its traveller requirements to enter or return to the United States.

I can also tell you from experience that's it's OK. However that's was like 2+ years ago so things may have changed

Offline peace123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 03:34:17 PM »
BC is enough, traveled many times  to between the borders. The canadians at borders are not on power trip and nice, the cbp at US border are worse.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 03:49:15 PM by peace123 »

Offline yitrap

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 03:40:45 PM »
I need advice and only from experience.
Will they let an 18 year old presenting a photo i.d. and birth certificate accross the border driving? TIA

P.s.  the official rules i know
Yes, done it many times.

Offline sillypainter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 04:23:51 PM »
BTW the official rules is that's it's OK

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5082-eng.html

Identification documents required

When you enter Canada, a border services officer may ask to see your passport and a valid visa (if you are arriving from a country from which one is required). If you are a United States citizen (U.S.), you do not need a passport to enter Canada; however, you should carry proof of your citizenship such as a birth certificate, a certificate of citizenship or naturalization or a Certificate of Indian Status, as well as a photo ID. If you are a permanent resident of the U.S., you must bring your permanent resident card with you.

All travellers, including U.S. citizens, are encouraged to visit the U.S. Customs and Border Protection's Web site at www.cbp.gov for information on the U.S. Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative and its traveller requirements to enter or return to the United States.

I can also tell you from experience that's it's OK. However that's was like 2+ years ago so things may have changed

People always make that mistake, that the law changed when entering Canada. Canada does NOT require any photo documentation when entering Canada, a birth certificate alone is enough. HOWEVER, the problem becomes when getting back to the USA, which they have this new law (a couple years old) that ALL persons over the age of 18 need a passport. So you can enter Canada without a passport but you can't come home....

However, a USA citizen will never be sent back, they will keep you up and make you crazy, but allow you in at the end....

Offline Mordyk

• View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 04:48:53 PM »
Thanks
#TYH

Offline peace123

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 05:26:45 PM »
People always make that mistake, that the law changed when entering Canada. Canada does NOT require any photo documentation when entering Canada, a birth certificate alone is enough. HOWEVER, the problem becomes when getting back to the USA, which they have this new law (a couple years old) that ALL persons over the age of 18 need a passport. So you can enter Canada without a passport but you can't come home....

However, a USA citizen will never be sent back, they will keep you up and make you crazy, but allow you in at the end....
A lawful legal alien can travel between US/CANADA with just  the green card which looks like a DL and don't need passports.   But the abuse and power trip remain  at US side of the border to  many including US citizens who have their passports.
I was asked to  speak up my citizenship even after showing US PP book and PP card

Offline Yaalili

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 06:16:06 PM »
Fortunately it is like that. If you get stuck on the way back to US you are just an hour drive back to Montreal, if you would get stuck going to Canada, you would be in middle of nowhere.

Offline BKYW

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 06:18:22 PM »

IME they didn't make an issue. But the policy is that they will let you in

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/western-hemisphere-travel-initiative
What if I don’t have the required documents when I travel to or return to the United States?

Travelers without WHTI-compliant documents are likely to be delayed at the border as CBP officers work to verify identity and citizenship.

Offline yochiek93

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2015, 02:43:39 PM »
Never had a problem with just photo I.d. and birth certificate

Offline pcgeek

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 07:40:55 PM »
Did the laws regarding required ID change recently? I have 2 brothers that will be travelling (by car) with us to Canada. They're both over 18, one only has a birth certificate, the other has birth certificate and drivers license. Per the Canadian Border website, birth certificate is sufficient, but what about returning to the US

Offline pcgeek

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 03:04:11 PM »
Did the laws regarding required ID change recently? I have 2 brothers that will be travelling (by car) with us to Canada. They're both over 18, one only has a birth certificate, the other has birth certificate and drivers license. Per the Canadian Border website, birth certificate is sufficient, but what about returning to the US
So the one that only had a birth certificate just got a photo ID. I know that this used to be sufficient, but are there any recent data points?

Offline ShmuliT

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2017, 08:35:49 PM »

Is this info current?
When looking here http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/travel-voyage/td-dv-eng.html I see no mention that a Birth Certificate + Licence is fine to enter Canada?
We are planing a trip to Canada in 7 weeks. My wife's passport expires in a few days. To renew takes 6-8 weeks (unless I pay to get it expedited).
I have seen on various forums that she can enter Canada with her Birth Certificate + Drivers Licence & she can reenter the USA with her Global Entry Card, but I cant verify that anywhere?
Is it necessary to pay to get her passport expedited?
Is it safer to not renew now and just travel with the expired passport (+birth certificate, licence and global entry card)?
Or is she 100% fine with just a birth certificate, licence and global entry card?

Any advice?

Offline rivkao

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2017, 09:58:59 PM »
Is this info current?
When looking here http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/travel-voyage/td-dv-eng.html I see no mention that a Birth Certificate + Licence is fine to enter Canada?
We are planing a trip to Canada in 7 weeks. My wife's passport expires in a few days. To renew takes 6-8 weeks (unless I pay to get it expedited).
I have seen on various forums that she can enter Canada with her Birth Certificate + Drivers Licence & she can reenter the USA with her Global Entry Card, but I cant verify that anywhere?
Is it safer to not renew now and just travel with the expired passport (+birth certificate, licence and global entry card)?
Or is she 100% fine with just a birth certificate, licence and global entry card?

Any advice?
I can tell you from my experience a passport shouldn't take longer than four weeks. Usually more like 2-3 weeks but YMMV.

Offline sillypainter

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2017, 10:26:22 PM »
I can tell you from my experience a passport shouldn't take longer than four weeks. Usually more like 2-3 weeks but YMMV.

+1. Just had mine renewed in June. Took 2 weeks.

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2017, 07:11:17 AM »
I just got in with only driver's license but that might have been because I got a nice agent.

Offline ShmuliT

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2017, 03:35:06 PM »
Ok, so it seems like the passport will be ready on time, but if it is not can anyone confirm my other options will work.

Offline yitrap

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2017, 04:55:31 PM »
Is this info current?

Any advice?

IIRC Expired passport works, that + license + BC definitely will get her in 

Offline ShmuliT

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2017, 07:29:21 PM »
IIRC Expired passport works, that + license + BC definitely will get her in 
Thanks, but Im sending in the expired passport for renewal.

Offline ShmuliT

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2017, 12:25:30 AM »
+1. Just had mine renewed in June. Took 2 weeks.
Just got the new pasport back. Took under 3 weeks.