Author Topic: Knowitall's Phillipines, 'Nam & Thailand Trip with splashes of AMM, DXB & HKG  (Read 5411 times)

Online Yaalili

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 121
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Club Carlson Gold, Jetblue Mosaic, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, DansDeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite.
Re: Knowitall's Phillipines, 'Nam & Thailand Trip with splashes of AMM, DXB & HKG
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2015, 10:29:04 AM »
Most partner award space on AA, u will need to call.

Offline yakrot

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Knowitall's Phillipines, 'Nam & Thailand Trip with splashes of AMM, DXB & HKG
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2015, 02:20:46 PM »
Waiting patiently for the rest

Offline knowitall

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: WN CP, AS MVP 75k, AB gold, Oneworld sapphire, hyatt diamond, hilton diamond, SPG Plat , Global Entry, Sixt Platinum, marriott gold, IHG Spire
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2015, 04:52:32 PM »
We got in Dubai very late at night. The airport is unnecessarily huge. I think they made the terminal much larger than necessary to make it feel like Dubai is such a big place. Pride/being #1 is all they care about. We walked nearly a half hour to get out. Nobody had any issues with israeli visas in our passports.
We went straight to the sheraton and went to bed.
It was a very nice hotel with comfy beds and big rooms.
In the morning we davened and hit up the pool before leaving. We then went off to the burj al-arab 7-star hotel.
In order to get in, we made reservations for the skybar, where a tea is $100 per person! First we looked around the lobby and fountain area

We then went up to the skybar but we said we didn't have a reservation.
We told them we wanted to come back at night but in the meantime we wanted to see the day view. This is probably the best view of Palm islands as Dubai is very hazy. The Burj khalifa is much further away and higher up so you can't see as clearly from the khalifa.
I'm sorry, most of the good pics are on my camera, all these are from my phone.

Online Yaalili

• View Profile
  • Programs: Club Carlson Gold, Jetblue Mosaic, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, DansDeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite.
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2015, 04:57:04 PM »
And then when you went back at night did you pay? Or did u say ur there just to see the night view :)

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2015, 05:12:47 PM »
So how did you get in to the hotel in the first place if they didn't have a reservation for you?

Offline knowitall

• View Profile
  • Programs: WN CP, AS MVP 75k, AB gold, Oneworld sapphire, hyatt diamond, hilton diamond, SPG Plat , Global Entry, Sixt Platinum, marriott gold, IHG Spire
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2015, 06:01:39 PM »
(We wore long pants to the Burj-al Arab because we didn't want to take any chances with dubai dress codes)
After the burj al Arab we went off to palm islands. This is the Atlantis hotel.

We then went to the mall of the emirates.

In order to fully appreciate the size of the mall, you would have to walk around it for hours. We chose to go indoor skiing instead!
You'll read in the zman that there are 5 slopes. In reality there are 2 slopes with dividers. But I'm not complaining, it was really fun especially since I missed out on skiing this past winter.
It was $52 for 3 hours after the 20% discount for paying with a mastercard!
I always bring a visa, MasterCard and amex from a few different banks when traveling just in case there are fraud alerts or a merchant only takes one of them. But here it saved us $27!

After skiing we got some coffees at the coffee shop overlooking the ski slopes.

We then went to the Burj Khalifa.
The entrance is in the Dubai Mall.
It costs $35 with advance tickets to go up to the observation deck. The Burj is about 2,700 feet tall. The main observation deck is at 1400 feet. So it's only halfway up. Dubai is so hazy that if you would go higher up you wouldn't be able to see much. We chose to go by sunset so we get both views. There are actually two levels and the top one is much less crowded because a lot of people don't realize it's there.

PSA: it took about 40 mins from when we printed out tickets until we were outside on the deck. There's a lot of walking of waiting. And once we decided to leave it was another 45 min wait for the elevator down. They do say sunset is the most crowded.
I personally didn't think it was worth the time or the price. My friend enjoyed it very much. As they always say- YMMV

We then went to watch to Khalifa fountain show right outside the mall.
There's truly nothing like it.
After seeng different water shows in USA, Hong Kong and Singapore, I can truly say nothing compares to the Burj show. The show is every 30 mins. I wish we would've had time for more than one.

We then bought some souvineirs and zoomed back to the hotel to get our bags. At the airport, I went through passport control (with an israeli visa ) without an issue. My friend had to go to a side office where the guy just scribbled Tel Aviv on a paper and sent him off. Not a big deal at all. Just saying.

And now we were off to HKG on an 8 hour Cathay flight in lieflat biz!
Little did we know this would be our only sleep for a day of running around in Hong Kong and a huge hike in phillipines

Offline knowitall

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2015, 06:05:16 PM »
And then when you went back at night did you pay? Or did u say ur there just to see the night view :)
We never went back at night. No time and way too much $

Offline knowitall

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2015, 06:08:09 PM »
So how did you get in to the hotel in the first place if they didn't have a reservation for you?
Before you can drive onto the little bridge to the Burj al Arab, there is a little security booth. We showed the guard our email reservation for the skybar and went through. When you pull up to the hotel there are people to greet you but you can stay in the lobby and look around as much as you want.

Online Yaalili

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2015, 06:10:29 PM »
Awesome installment knowitall. Nothing like (fake) skiing when it is 125 outside.

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2015, 07:12:24 PM »
Nice slopes! How difficult are they? Green, blue, black, etc.?

Offline knowitall

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2015, 08:43:59 AM »
Nice slopes! How difficult are they? Green, blue, black, etc.?
I've only been to 4 ski resorts. I would say one "trail" is a green and the other is green at first then blue.

Offline Aaaron

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2015, 10:06:46 AM »
I'm confused about the Burj Al Arab.  Did you pay or not?  DI you have to pay when you made the reservation?

Offline MosheD

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2015, 10:17:50 AM »
I'm confused about the Burj Al Arab.  Did you pay or not?  DI you have to pay when you made the reservation?
Cmiiw, they made a reservation (which is free to make) to get pass security booth. Once they got past security they never used it

Offline knowitall

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2015, 11:32:32 AM »
Cmiiw, they made a reservation (which is free to make) to get pass security booth. Once they got past security they never used it
Exactly. Sorry I was unclear

Offline Aaaron

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2015, 12:20:41 PM »
Exactly. Sorry I was unclear

Thanks for the clarification. I'm heading to DXB Saturday night so I'm reading with interest!