Author Topic: Labor Day Hop on the WN Companion Pass: New York to Florida  (Read 45676 times)

Offline EJB

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
Re: Labor Day Hop on the WN Companion Pass: New York to Florida
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2015, 12:12:15 AM »
don't try to hijack his thread

I'm done hijacking. I wanna hear the rest of his TR.

Offline AharonInIsrael

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2015, 03:26:38 AM »
Wow!
Crazy video - I was just waiting for the moment that would end "... and that, my friends, is why you should never pet an alligator."
Enjoy!

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2015, 09:50:37 AM »
Cool. We just did the Everglades on our own. But getting the gators to be active was probably worth the $27

How'd you do it on your own? Driving? Rented an airboat? (!)

Yeah, definitely worth $27 to have the guide coax them out of the bushes on a very hot day, show us the snapping power of the jaws (here's where the lack of audio on the video really bummed me out, as you can hear a *boom* when the bread hit the gator's tongue and the jaws came crashing together.

Dude love it!! Dont keep the DW awaitin'! lol

Spoken like a smart man.

Nice!!

Thanks!

Any reason you chose the Conrad over, lets say the St Regis?

Price :P

I got this Conrad Suite for $109/night.  I'd have stayed at the SR for even double or triple, but that wasn't happening, and I ain't dropping 30K SPG/night.  May switch over to the W SoBe after shabbas just to check it out. We'll see.

HH Diamond.

Great start! Boy, those pictures are clear for a phone camera. Thanks for the live report! It's fun, but don't let it take away from your trip!

Yup, at least partly, as noted above.

Yup, that's the fine line between wanting to share and wanting to enjoy. We'll see how this one goes.

Good stuff!

How about you live TR you're NZ trip and the like and do FLL 2 years later

Thanks!

Trust me, you don't want a "Live TR"-level TR for NZ. That's a TR that's savored and carefully drafted and posted.  A quick trip down to MIA, though, may be perfect for it.

Wow!

Thanks!

Good stuff, now if only they had ISP-like airports in my area...

If only ALL airports were like ISP, though I fear that the reason ISP is the way it is is because it's so far off the beaten-path...

Awesome! I am in the middle of a labor day hop of my own to Dallas (1/2 on SW CP). Don't think I'll be posting a TR, but we got upgraded to the presidential suite at the Omni Dallas Park West. $100 a night rate for a 2500 sf room with a grand piano, study, washroom, 2 bathrooms, huge bedroom, formal dining room, and mini library. It's a shame we're only here for 4 nights :(.

Enjoy!

Wow!
Crazy video - I was just waiting for the moment that would end "... and that, my friends, is why you should never pet an alligator."
Enjoy!

lol

I was hoping that didn't happen.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2015, 10:42:57 AM »
We arrived at Fuego by Mana for our 9:15 PM reservation (which thankfully we made because they were making people wait) at about 9:20 PM. 

20150903_212643 by AJK DDF, on Flickr

20150903_215611 by AJK DDF, on Flickr

20150903_215621 by AJK DDF, on Flickr

After pointing out we had a reservation, but that we wanted to wait for a table outside, the maitre'd told us to hang tight.  The place, at 9:30, was still very busy.

At about 9:40, two girls showed up, without a reservation, and were somehow seated before us outside after doing some "sooper-sekrit handshake" with what appeared to be the owner.  We were ultimately not seated until about 9:55 or so.  Tsk, tsk. Not off to a good start, Mr. Fuego.

That out of the way, the place is tastefully decorated, and I loved the inside/outside seating, which you can only rarely find in NYC/NJ. We finally sat down and ordered Pulled-Brisket Empanadas ($12), Flatiron Steak ($36), Chipotle BBQ Back Ribs ($49), Creme Brulee ($12), and Chocolate Souffle ($10), two Diet Cokes, and a glass of Dalton Canaan ($9).

20150903_215955 by AJK DDF, on Flickr

Now, I know Dan/jj1000 recommended the flat breads as an appie, but after being stuffed with enough carbs to last me until the next time I'm in Miami from ZtB, Mrs. AJK simply refused to order more carbs, so we went with the empanadas (which also had carbs, I may point out!).

Anyway, they were terrible.  Overcooked, tough, dry, and almost flavorless. Avoid at all costs.  (I should have just gotten the flatbreads, darn it!)

The meal though, quickly turned around with the arrival of the mains:

20150903_222455 by AJK DDF, on Flickr

The Chipotle BBQ Back Ribs were very good.  Just the right amount of meat (and by that, I mean just enough for a $50 plate--any less would have been... uncool), and they were succulent.  And I love the fact that, unlike pretentious places like Reserve Cut and Prime Grill, they include two side dishes which you can choose from a large selection.  I got fries and a salad.

20150903_222521 by AJK DDF, on Flickr

Mrs. AJK said that this flat iron steak, covered in three pepper-corn sauce and served with chimmichurri sauce, was one of the best she's had, and I'd tend to agree. It was a perfectly cooked, tender, and tasty piece of beef, if not on the smaller side. But I guess for $36, they weren't going to give her the cow.

20150903_230315 by AJK DDF, on Flickr

The creme brulee was good, if not memorable. Wasn't as good as the one at RC, nor the one I've gotten at ETC, which was the best I've had. But the whip cream was a welcome addition.

20150903_230329 by AJK DDF, on Flickr

Between the two desserts, we both preferred the the Chocolate Souffle which was really good, while not being overly rich, though I'd have preferred a bit of ice cream instead of whip cream.

A restaurant I'd return to on the food front (and get the flatbreads!), but there is work yet to be done, as noted below.

A note on service: A bit of a disaster. And considering the amount of staff they seemed to have employed, this is simply incredible.  Aside from the initial seating SNAFU, we must have had 3 or 4 different people come take our orders, clear our table, bring us menus, bring us meals, and bring us meals intended for others, it was all just terribly chaotic and disorganized. It seemed like there were a dozen puppets, but no puppet-master attempting to create order and efficiency.  It's great to have the number of staff they do, with secret service ear-pieces and tablets connected the kitchen via wifi, but if you can't harness that, it ends up being worse than not having it at all.

Oh, despite (or perhaps because of) having 14 different people assume the role of server, my glass of wine never showed up. Lots of room for improvement on this front.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Moshe123

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2015, 10:47:13 AM »
I'm hungry.

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2015, 10:53:44 AM »
Overall sounds like one could pass on that experience considering that Miami has lots of other places to offer. CMIIW.
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline @Yehuda

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2015, 10:54:34 AM »
Nice installment! Thanks for the restaurant review. I'd say your wife got more meat for $36 than you did for $50. I never understand ribs. So expensive and so little food. My one exception was a random time we went to Le Marais, and they had a special rib appetizer which we have not been able to order ever again since then. IIRC it was no more than $20, and the meat was already pulled off the bone with a very nice portion.

Offline Proisrael

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG,Hilton,Club Carlson
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2015, 10:57:21 AM »
Great TR....Gotta try out SoHo in Aventura....Go for the Salmon/Tuna tartar.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2015, 11:14:21 AM »
Overall sounds like one could pass on that experience considering that Miami has lots of other places to offer. CMIIW.

Don't get me wrong, aside from the appetizer, which shouldn't have been that poor (even if I should have ordered something else instead), the food was pretty darn good. I'd definitely go back.

But the service as a whole was exceptionally poor. And I do have trouble saying that because our waiter (or at least who I think our waiter was once he showed up more consistently) was actually very engaging and professional.  When I say service was poor, I mean believe this is a top-down issue, and the fault belongs with those in management who haven't found away to ensure all the good worker bees remain humming along.  It's something that can be fixed, but not before there is some structural service changes.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2015, 11:20:18 AM »
Gotta try out SoHo in Aventura...
-1. Awful service, very mediocre food.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline damaxer91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2015, 11:21:08 AM »
Guess u settled for Miami :)

Offline myb821

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2015, 11:22:00 AM »
I ate at fuego before it moved around a month ago (could be the reason for the poor service they might not have gotten it all figured out in new location) and loved the food and had great service. I definitely recommend it.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2015, 11:28:42 AM »
Some shots of the outside of the Conrad, which I forgot to take and include earlier:

20150904_000456 by AJK DDF, on Flickr

20150904_000611 by AJK DDF, on Flickr

20150904_000630 by AJK DDF, on Flickr

20150904_000647 by AJK DDF, on Flickr

Also, upon further reflection, we're a *bit* disappointed with certain aspects of the this Conrad.

For one, and the biggest issue, is the bathroom.  It simply does not compare to the bathroom of other Conrads; not even close.  I mean, in what world does a Conrad have a shower curtain?? What is this, a Motel 6? Get rid of the shower curtain and replace with a glass door--it'd transform the entire look of the bathroom. And what is with that sink vanity? It looks as if it was made for a bathroom a quarter of the size. And the lighting? Almost need to bring a flashlight with me.  But perhaps they don't wanna highlight the bathroom's less than flattering features, so perhaps I don't blame them on this count. Here are the pictures, reposted for your reference:

20150903_163255 by AJK DDF, on Flickr

20150903_163305 by AJK DDF, on Flickr

Also, IME most rooms of this size (and I understand that I am only in this room due to Hilton's generosity) have automatic blind openers.  Last night it took us what seemed like forever to close them all up so we weren't woken up at the crack of dawn.

We do like the service we've gotten so far, my wife *loves* the makeup vanity off the side of the bedroom, and the room is indeed large and the bed comfortable. It's a nice hotel, and we'd return, but can't help to compare to the others we've stayed at.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2015, 11:31:29 AM »
Was gonna say, W bathroom I had last week looks 100x better than that.
Though to be fair, for $109 you basically are paying for a Motel 6...
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Proisrael

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG,Hilton,Club Carlson
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2015, 01:20:39 PM »
-1. Awful service, very mediocre food.

I had a different experience but that could be because I was eating with the owner....

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2015, 01:21:46 PM »
I had a different experience but that could be because I was eating with the owner....
LOL

Offline Joe4007

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2015, 02:03:55 PM »

Thanks!

Trust me, you don't want a "Live TR"-level TR for NZ. That's a TR that's savored and carefully drafted and posted.  A quick trip down to MIA, though, may be perfect for it.
Fair enough.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2015, 02:26:34 PM »
Go back for flat bread and smores dessert. Or you can't leave Miami.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Yehoshua

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2015, 04:58:37 PM »
Great TR so far, AJ. I don't have any plans to visit MIA, but on the rare chance that I find myself there in the future you're info could be useful (or outdated, who knows). Either way I enjoy reading!

Airboat rides are awesome! The place we used had a "show" afterwards where you got to hold and take a picture with a baby alligator. I don't remember the cost, but it wasn't expensive at all.