Author Topic: Ashley Durablend Sofa peeling! Do you have this issue?  (Read 7724 times)

Offline chayal101

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Ashley Durablend Sofa peeling! Do you have this issue?
« on: December 27, 2015, 12:26:50 AM »
Hey Guys!
For anyone who has time to read my story, Thanks! Whoever doesn't please look at the photos below and let me know
#1- if YOU or anyone else you know is having issues with their ASHLEY durablend sofa.
#2- Do you have the Email address of a ASHLEY CEO?? PLEASE!
 I just have to get this out there to spread awareness for anyone who is having the same issue as me! i purchased a Ashley Durablend Sofa in 2012 at a Heimishe local Store in Brooklyn  (hereinafter referred to as "THE STORE"), i paid $850 for what i believed was a sturdy comfortable couch that would last me a while. I was uneducated at that time to understand  that Ashley Durablend is bonded leather which is a blend of leather and polyurethane...Basically a garbage thin sheet of scraps of leather. After 3.5 years the leather is peeling and looks disgusting, i have leather peels all over my house. we never used any fancy cleaning products, all we did was sit on it! Now i have a garbage bag over one seat to prevent my baby from eating  leather peels...
"The Store" claims that I'm the only one with the issue, they wouldn't reach out to Ashley on my behalf, and told me  that Ashley wouldn't do anything for me... Well I anyhow tried reaching out to Ashley by sending an email and finally after 3 weeks they send me a letter in the mail saying that the store must reach out to them! HOW NICE! So... I called back "The Store"  and they told me they're too busy now," Call Back in a week!" CHUTZPAH! Again...i call back Ashley and tell them my store is giving me a hard time, why can't they just speak to me directly. The Ashley rep tells me they've issued a "CREDIT" to the store, and "THE STORE" will contact me on how i would like to claim my "CREDIT", they couldn't disclose the amount of my "CREDIT" i call back "THE STORE" - "Nope, No credit, and just so you know Ashley doesn't give more than $95 CREDIT, and it must be used towards repair or new sofa! I will let you know when i get the credit.." Yeah right!! I am so mad at this point that i took to the internet, posting on instagram, twitter, facebook, and I found so many similar cases, IN FACT, i found 3 ppl with this issue who have the same sofa as me and purchased it from the SAME STORE!! All other 3 were told " YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE!" I'm shocked, and to make matters worse they are still selling the Sofa right now!! So i'm still trying to figure out how to proceed with "THE STORE" but at the same time i want back my $$$ for the sofa. There are 2 same cases as mines i found on pissedconsumer.com where their sofa was paid back in full after making a lot of noise. See links below:
http://ashley-furniture.pissedconsumer.com/durablend-sofa-love-seat-20151005711129.html
http://ashley-furniture.pissedconsumer.com/ashley-furniture-durablend-20151027724440.html
So what i really want now is an email address of a CEO at Ashley Furniture who i can reach out to.. and we'll take it from there... If you or anybody else you know has the same or similar situation of a peeling Ashley Sofa, please reach out to me via PM. I have also set up an email for this too! ashleypeel530@gmail.com
Thanks for listening! I hope you can help me!
See below pics.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 01:51:42 AM by chayal101 »
Chaya L.

Offline chayal101

• View Profile
Re: Ashley Durablend Sofa peeling! Do you have this issue?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 12:29:38 AM »
Sorry, how do you post pics? It doesn't seem to work for me! Thanks!
Chaya L.

Offline David Smith

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 12:33:11 AM »
Not only did you cross post, but you made two threads?
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline chayal101

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 12:38:54 AM »
Not only did you cross post, but you made two threads?
i don't know how to delete, it doesn't let me!
Chaya L.

Offline David Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 12:39:54 AM »
i don't know how to delete, it doesn't let me!
An old complaint. Only a moderator can delete a thread.
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline David Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 12:56:37 AM »
See attached pic, did i do it right?? ???
Perfect. That looks awful, I'm so sorry for you. One question mark will usually suffice. Using one thread should be enough.
JTZ

Offline chayal101

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2015, 12:59:08 AM »
Perfect. That looks awful, I'm so sorry for you. One question mark will usually suffice. Using one thread should be enough.
I know and i apologize. I hope the mods will delete the other one soon....
Chaya L.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2015, 01:06:17 AM »
This is unfortunately a common issue with bonded leather
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline zale

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2015, 11:29:54 AM »
Your first mistake was buying a piece of furniture without doing any research. What else would you buy without researching first? Would you buy a car without doing research?

Ashley is the "Chinese knockoff" of the furniture industry. They make a fortune off peddling trash to the unassuming customer such as yourself. You see, these Heimishe furniture stores get those sofas from Ashley direct for bupkes. They then turn around and sell it to your for a hefty profit. This is how they stay in business. 90% of the sofas they sell are from Ashley.

I hate to say this, but ultimately it is sheer ignorance that lead you to buy a $850 "leather" couch and then complain about the quality. leather is an expensive material. Did you ever bother to wonder how an entire sofa made of leather would only cost $850? Do you realize that that amount of real leather would cost more than that FOR THE MATERIAL ALONE? Do you understand that a new "quality" leather sofa starts at $3,000?

Stop wasting your time with this nonsense. You bought a piece of garbage, and you want a company that peddles cheap garbage to reimburse you for that?

Offline Centurion

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg plat,avis pres ,hertz plat ,AAexcutime, delta plat,hilton gold, united
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2015, 11:34:30 AM »
Did you buy a extended gaurantee? We bought one to israel.
you can only make a first impression ONCE

Offline chayal101

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2015, 12:32:05 PM »
Your first mistake was buying a piece of furniture without doing any research. What else would you buy without researching first? Would you buy a car without doing research?

Ashley is the "Chinese knockoff" of the furniture industry. They make a fortune off peddling trash to the unassuming customer such as yourself. You see, these Heimishe furniture stores get those sofas from Ashley direct for bupkes. They then turn around and sell it to your for a hefty profit. This is how they stay in business. 90% of the sofas they sell are from Ashley.

I hate to say this, but ultimately it is sheer ignorance that lead you to buy a $850 "leather" couch and then complain about the quality. leather is an expensive material. Did you ever bother to wonder how an entire sofa made of leather would only cost $850? Do you realize that that amount of real leather would cost more than that FOR THE MATERIAL ALONE? Do you understand that a new "quality" leather sofa starts at $3,000?

Stop wasting your time with this nonsense. You bought a piece of garbage, and you want a company that peddles cheap garbage to reimburse you for that?
Zale, yes! I learnt my lesson the hard way! But i aint backing down so fast! I paid a nice buck for it and I want back all my money! Period.
Chaya L.

Offline chayal101

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2015, 12:34:00 PM »
Did you buy a extended gaurantee? We bought one to israel.
No, i did not. But based on the reviews i read online the extended warranty doesn't cover peeling... And ppl were ignored by Ashley even if they had a 5 Year Warranty.
Chaya L.

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2015, 12:43:38 PM »
Zale, yes! I learnt my lesson the hard way! But i aint backing down so fast! I paid a nice buck for it and I want back all my money! Period.
First of all there is no reason at all for you to be entitled to all of your money back.You did use it for 3 years. What is the life span you expected from a low end couch? Was it a reasonable expectation?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline chayal101

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2015, 01:07:46 PM »
First of all there is no reason at all for you to be entitled to all of your money back.You did use it for 3 years. What is the life span you expected from a low end couch? Was it a reasonable expectation?
I didn't purchase this sofa from Craigslist for $75... I bought it from a store i believed at that time to be reputable and honest. 3 Years is not the average life span of a sofa even if i paid $850 as opposed to $1500+...The truth is i don't know what irks me more: My money or the idea that the store is still selling this (and other)  Ashley product and standing behind it as their "BESTSELLER"..  Ppl with children, with little/no money, are still buying it and being fooled by the store , and you're gonna tell me it's their fault for being uneducated before purchasing it... That's not a good enough reason for me.   I don't want ppl to fall into the same trap like i did and I'm considering to spread the word via Weekly circulars. Call me crazy but i will do it. Thanks.
Chaya L.

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2015, 01:12:42 PM »
Bought a Jennifer convertible second hand (people before us probably had it a year). Towards the end it started peeling. Was a piece of junk. I don't remember when it stated peeling but by the end of year 4 when we threw it out it was pretty bad. We knew we weren't staying in the apartment we were in forever and just used it until we moved out and junked it.
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline chayal101

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2015, 01:21:21 PM »
Bought a Jennifer convertible second hand (people before us probably had it a year). Towards the end it started peeling. Was a piece of junk. I don't remember when it stated peeling but by the end of year 4 when we threw it out it was pretty bad. We knew we weren't staying in the apartment we were in forever and just used it until we moved out and junked it.
LOL so maybe my next sofa should be a 2nd hand/ craigslist for $100 so i don't feel so bad when it goes bad...
Chaya L.

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2015, 02:33:14 PM »
LOL so maybe my next sofa should be a 2nd hand/ craigslist for $100 so i don't feel so bad when it goes bad...

Craigslist is always my first recommendation when looking for a high-end sofa for a good price. There are many people, especially hipsters in or around NYC that buy expensive stuff, only to move to another location a year later. When they move, they like to completely redesign from scratch with new furniture. These are people that are barely ever home. They sit on the sofa probably four times before they sell it and get their next one. A $3,000 Ethan Allen sofa can be yours for $1,000 or less. always make sure it comes from a smoke-free pet-free home, and always inspect it prior to buying.

Even when buying brand new, If you have the money to spend, a good sofa can last you 20 years EVEN with kids jumping on it. Your $3,000-$4,000 investment will pay for itself over and over again.

Offline cf

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2015, 02:49:44 PM »
Craigslist is always my first recommendation when looking for a high-end sofa for a good price. There are many people, especially hipsters in or around NYC that buy expensive stuff, only to move to another location a year later. When they move, they like to completely redesign from scratch with new furniture. These are people that are barely ever home. They sit on the sofa probably four times before they sell it and get their next one. A $3,000 Ethan Allen sofa can be yours for $1,000 or less. always make sure it comes from a smoke-free pet-free home, and always inspect it prior to buying.

Even when buying brand new, If you have the money to spend, a good sofa can last you 20 years EVEN with kids jumping on it. Your $3,000-$4,000 investment will pay for itself over and over again.
What brands are worth spending on?

Offline chayal101

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2015, 03:40:50 PM »

Thanks Zale! I now know it's only worth it to spend $$$ on an ALL LEATHER SOFA and i will do my research this time around!
Chaya L.

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2015, 03:44:51 PM »
What brands are worth spending on?

Since I'm not a furniture expert, I can only recommend from experience Stickley, Baker, Henkel Harris and Bradington Young. You can find quite a few others if you Google for them, but these are brands that I personally own and can vouch for. These brands are great if you are going the Craigslist route.

There are also mid-level brands that will last you many years, like Ethan Allen, Bassett, Thomasville and Bernhardt. If you are going to buy new, then I recommend these brands.

There are other mid-level brands that vary in quality from one piece to the next, like Pottery barn and Crate & Barrel. Some of their products are built very well and others are garbage. The general consensus among furniture experts is that those brands are overpriced.

Stay away from overpriced Italian "designer" furniture. It's meant for people who have more money than they know what to do with.