Topic Wiki

IF YOUR OBI NEEDS UPDATES SEE HERE

See here for some good tutorials on setting up the Obi.

You can switch your current landline number into a Google Voice account to retain your phone number on a free Obi phone line.
To port your landline to GV:
  • Get ahold of an old Page Plus or Verizon cell phone that isn't being used. Port your existing landline to Page Plus for free through their website.
  • Fill out the port form and put in your landline number and the old PP cell phone's ESN or MEID number (from under the battery) and wait a couple of days for it to go through. You will know that the port is complete, when dialing your landline rings on the cell phone.
  • Once the account is active, buy $10 worth of minutes from PagePlus in order to receive the verification call from GV.
  • Now you can initiate the GV port. It's a good idea to open a new Gmail account. You can then setup all emails that come to that account (all the voicemails notifications) to be forwarded to your main Gmail account. Login to GV from the new account and port in your number. It will cost $20, and you will get an email when the port to GV is complete.
Using the above method will only have incoming Caller ID numbers, not names. If you want names as well, follow these steps:
  • Go to https://www.callcentric.com/, click Products, then click the yellow Get A Number button next to Free Phone Number.
  • Use the tool on the left to pick an area code, then order the number. It doesn’t have to be something memorable, because no one will ever have to dial it.
  • When it asks if you’re in US/Canada, either select Yes to use their E911 service, or No if you want to use something else. Callcentric setup is free, plus $1.50/mo if you want E911 services. See below for more details.
  • After you receive a confirmation email from Callcentric with your new account info, go to obitalk.com, and log into your Obi. Click SP2, scroll down to OBiTALK Compatible Service Providers, then click Next. Follow the prompts to link your Callcentric account. In the box that says Callcentric Number, enter the 1777 number you got in the email. Uncheck Primary Line for Outgoing Calls and 911.
  • Open Google Voice, go into Settings, and add a forwarding phone. Enter the real phone number you got in the email from Callcentric. Google will call it to confirm; it should ring on your Obi. Answer it and enter the code shown by GV.
  • Uncheck forward to Google Chat.
  • Log into your Callcentric account. Click Preferences. Under General, enable Caller ID with name (Inbound calls). (You can also change the maximum call duration, and unlist yourself from the directory).
or this for a $5 one time fee.
https://simonics.com/gw/?promo=nerdvittles

If you’re not using Callcentric, you have to set up SP3 in Obi settings to point to your E911 provider’s account.
E911 providers:
Callcentric$18/year ($1.50/mo) + $1.50 setup
Anveo$15/year
http://www.gv911.com/$12/year
http://www.bulkvs.com/e911.html$8.64/year ($0.72/mo)

If you want the SP2 to ring like the standard US ringtone:
go to obi expert config, then to voice service, select sp2, and change it to this:
X_ServProvProfile B
X_RingProfile   A
X_CodecProfile   A

You can add your CID http://www.listyourself.net/ListYourself/listing.jsp?ID=new
and check your CID http://who.scalling.com/411/

Author Topic: OBi Master Thread  (Read 355294 times)

Offline joe1234

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
Re: OBi 110
« Reply #1060 on: January 04, 2018, 08:53:38 AM »
is there anyone that can help me setup my obi200 with a wifi adapter?

Offline kayef

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: January 07, 2018, 02:02:40 PM »
I have the Obi202 set up with GV and CallCentric for incoming (to get caller ID). Lately, incoming calls have been severely delayed. GV also forwards to wife's cell phone so I know when the calls are supposed to be coming in. Turning off CC and setting incoming calls to ring GV on the Obi fixes it.
Any ideas?

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: January 07, 2018, 02:14:12 PM »
Does anyone have calls get disconnected in middle for no reason ? I can’t figure out if it’s obi, google, or a problem with my Panasonic phones.

Offline AnonymousUser

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: January 07, 2018, 08:36:48 PM »
I have the Obi202 set up with GV and CallCentric for incoming (to get caller ID). Lately, incoming calls have been severely delayed. GV also forwards to wife's cell phone so I know when the calls are supposed to be coming in. Turning off CC and setting incoming calls to ring GV on the Obi fixes it.
Any ideas?
I've had the same thing for a while, but it's on and off.

Offline shmaltz

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: January 08, 2018, 11:17:45 PM »
I'm trying to get my optimum landline transfered to a tmobile prepaid line, and tmobile told me that I need a pin from optimum, but optimum told me there is no pin - I've called tmobile numerous times, but I'm still having trouble - any advice?

Offline Yisroel Tech

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1065 on: January 08, 2018, 11:20:12 PM »
I'm trying to get my optimum landline transfered to a tmobile prepaid line, and tmobile told me that I need a pin from optimum, but optimum told me there is no pin - I've called tmobile numerous times, but I'm still having trouble - any advice?
I'd tell T-Mobile to try with 0000 or the last 4 digits.

Offline shmaltz

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: January 11, 2018, 09:01:04 PM »
Before I started anything, I checked to see if my landline would transfer to google voice and got a message that should allow it to transfer according to the OBI website, but now that my landline actually transfered to my TMobile prepaid cellphone, I'm getting this message: Sorry. Your mobile number can not be ported at this time.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Yisroel Tech

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: January 11, 2018, 09:56:49 PM »
Before I started anything, I checked to see if my landline would transfer to google voice and got a message that should allow it to transfer according to the OBI website, but now that my landline actually transfered to my TMobile prepaid cellphone, I'm getting this message: Sorry. Your mobile number can not be ported at this time.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
(Assuming it is a normal area code and not some far fledged city) It seems like it can take some time until it is updated all across. See the whole thread and its updates here https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=5690.0 (took him like 2-3 days).

Offline kayef

• View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: January 11, 2018, 10:17:57 PM »
Any ideas?
Update: I had switched routers, and the new router seems to have been the culprit. After changing some settings failed to fix the problem, I switched back to the old router and it started working again flawlessly.

Offline AnonymousUser

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: January 12, 2018, 03:37:21 PM »
Update: I had switched routers, and the new router seems to have been the culprit. After changing some settings failed to fix the problem, I switched back to the old router and it started working again flawlessly.
Interesting. Maybe it has to do with the router's QoS settings?

Offline shmaltz

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: February 06, 2018, 08:50:42 PM »
I have OBI/google voice for over a month now, and I signed up with callcentric right away to get caller id, but so far I still don't have caller id, and on top of that, there is quite a bit of static - any ideas on a solution?

Offline talmid chuchem

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: February 07, 2018, 02:35:50 AM »
Can I set an OBi to ring only after entering a passcode?

I would like to have a number that when it rings it causes a relay to close, thereby causing that a door should get unlocked, but I don't want everybody going thru my contacts to be able to call in, so I would like to set a password to be entered before ringing? (Can I do this with auto-attendant?)

As a side question, does anyone know of a good cheap low voltage relay for this? A relay that gets powered & signaled from a telephone line.
Needs to close a 5v line.

TIA

Offline David R

• View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: February 07, 2018, 02:40:56 AM »

I would like to have a number that when it rings it causes a relay to close, thereby causing that a door should get unlocked, but I don't want everybody going thru my contacts to be able to call in, so I would like to set a password to be entered before ringing? (Can I do this with auto-attendant?)

As a side question, does anyone know of a good cheap low voltage relay for this? A relay that gets powered & signaled from a telephone line.

TIA
It seems like a Raspberry Pi with a soft phone would be more reliable and about the same price for hardware.

Offline talmid chuchem

• View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: February 07, 2018, 02:50:47 AM »
It seems like a Raspberry Pi with a soft phone would be more reliable and about the same price for hardware.
1) I'm anyways Iy"h getting an OBi for 1 line, so m thinking of just getting a obi202 & the 2nd line use for this.

2) can you elaborate why a rasbperry Pi is better? OBi isn't reliable? With a raspberry  Pi I won't need a relay? (ETA after googling, seems that with a a raspberry Pi I won't need a relay, as it outputs a 3.3v signal, & it's ok for my project)
I have minimal knowledge about raspberry Pi, except that it's very powerful when you know what to do with it. (& I'm missing the latter)

If I go with raspberry Pi, I can have only 1 line, & the door to open should be an extension with freepbx.

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 03:25:04 AM by talmid chuchem »

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #1074 on: February 07, 2018, 02:53:59 AM »
1) I'm anyways Iy"h getting an OBi for 1 line, so m thinking of just getting a obi202 & the 2nd line use for this.

I am not sure exactly how you want this to work, but if I understand you correctly, and you don't want the OBi to ring for anyone, except under certain rules (incoming Caller ID, etc) you should be able to set up incoming call routing rules.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline talmid chuchem

• View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: February 07, 2018, 02:57:02 AM »
I am not sure exactly how you want this to work, but if I understand you correctly, and you don't want the OBi to ring for anyone, except under certain rules (incoming Caller ID, etc) you should be able to set up incoming call routing rules.
No, I don't want to have to create a whitelist (that is very simple to do with GV), as I want to be able to dial in from any phone worldwide, but need a password that it should ring.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #1076 on: February 07, 2018, 07:43:28 AM »

TIA
Just don't store the compete number in your contacts
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline kayef

• View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: February 07, 2018, 07:49:52 AM »
@talmidchuchem
How are you setting up the line on the Obi? GV?

Offline talmid chuchem

• View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: February 07, 2018, 08:53:00 AM »
Just don't store the compete number in your contacts
I'm not the only one going to have that number

Offline shmaltz

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: February 07, 2018, 11:44:39 PM »
I have OBI/google voice for over a month now, and I signed up with callcentric right away to get caller id, but so far I still don't have caller id, and on top of that, there is quite a bit of static - any ideas on a solution?