Author Topic: Do You Fly For The Flight Or The Destination?  (Read 7699 times)

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Do You Fly For The Flight Or The Destination?
« on: January 03, 2016, 11:56:03 PM »
Background posts:

Maybe I should do ?

PH SYD Monday Night
Tuesday to MEL
PH MEL Tuesday Night

Wednesday & Thursday Morning = GOR & Grampians

Thursday leaving MEL back to TLV

?

I would do either SYD or GOR, not both in the 4 days you have. Way to much travel. You can easily spend 5 days in each city. Don't plan the trip around the PHs, just the activities. If you skip the GOR and just do MEL then it's barley possible to do SYD also, though I'd just do one. תפסת מרובה לא תפסת.

Exactly, but who goes to AU for 3 days anyway?

Another valid point. The only time it makes sense to go to Australia for less than 10 7 days is if you're spending time in NZ and are just stopping in Australia for shabbos on the way.

U can't do gor and Grampians in 2 days.
U also don't need to stay in mel for a day.  Fly from syd on a early morning flight and drive straight from the airport to gor.
Do mel on your last day

Are you actually recommending he do SYD and MEL in 4 days?!?!

No, but if he really wants to do more then just syd. Theres plenty to do in sydney, it's really a beautiful city.
U can also do the blue mountains and the animal park (can pet koala and kangaroos) and the caverns (forgot what its called)
The first 2 is a full day, short drive from Sydney

Stay in Melbourne for a day and go see some of the Australian sports. They are quite amazing especially Australian football.  This time if year is mainly cricket but still the BBL (big bash league) is quite entertaining.

He's flying to AU for 3 days and he should spend 1 day watching an extended length baseball game of teams he won't care about?

BBL is the shortened version of the game. I would never suggest that a full length cricket game is entertaining. These usually start around 7 and end around 9:30-10.

Took Grampians off my itinerary.

Smart move. You can still do the GOR in one day, just turn around after the 12 Apostles.

U can turn around before the 12 apostles if u don't have time.  Unless your viewing at sunset,  their just formations of rocks in the water that they make a big deal of to create tourist hype

Quoted post:

Either do SYD or MEL or CNS.
To do more than one place in 3 nights is silly. Going all the way there for 3 nights is also silly, but I digress.
+1000
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 11:26:23 AM by Dan »

Offline Matovu

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond,
Re: Re: Melbourne Master Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 12:05:09 AM »
Either do SYD or MEL or CNS.
To do more than one place in 3 nights is silly. Going all the way there for 3 nights is also silly, but I digress.
I heard you the first time.
I know you're right.
This is my only chance.
Am going alone, and will do at my own fast pace.
If I will love the place then 20 years from now when I retire I surely will return. But then I'll do New Zealand as well. I'll also do grand Barrier Reef. And the rest.

Offline Matovu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 12:05:36 AM »
U can turn around before the 12 apostles if u don't have time.  Unless your viewing at sunset,  their just formations of rocks in the water that they make a big deal of to create tourist hype
I appreciate you input. Thanks.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 12:08:54 AM »
So the point is to checkin to both PHs and rush through the GOR to say that you've checked them off your list?

It's like learning a mesechta gemara in 3 days and then you'll write a TR saying there was no depth to it like the guy who did 3 Hawaiian islands in 5 nights and said it didn't impress him.

You can just say you did it, post some Google pics, and save yourself the miles and sleep in your own bed. We won't fact check, don't worry.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Matovu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 12:10:49 AM »
Actually I do want to go to Hawaii for 4 days this summer, but I guess I'll do 1 or 2 islands ?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 12:11:13 AM »
<Sigh>
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 12:11:52 AM »
Actually I do want to go to Hawaii for 4 days this summer, but I guess I'll do 1 or 2 islands ?
You're joking, right? 1 island max, unless it's like Maui and Lanai.

Offline Matovu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 12:12:13 AM »
So the point is to checkin to both PHs and rush through the GOR to say that you've checked them off your list?

It's like learning a mesechta gemara in 3 days and then you'll write a TR saying there was no depth to it like the guy who did 3 Hawaiian islands in 5 nights and said it didn't impress him.

You can just say you did it, post some Google pics, and save yourself the miles and sleep in your own bed. We won't fact check, don't worry.

Some here have a check off list for EY and EK F's if you get what I'm saying...

Offline Matovu

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 12:12:32 AM »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 12:15:28 AM »
Some here have a check off list for EY and EK F's if you get what I'm saying...
It's vain and silly. Your own bed and your own shower are always going to be nicer than the skinny hard bed, 5 minute shower, and bad food that you'll get.

J/F is a great way to make the flight an enjoyable part of the trip instead of torture. But I'm not in #CampLucky where the whole purpose in the flying and the destination is never experienced.  Flying for the sake of flying died years ago when mileage running stopped being a profitable sport.

Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 11:27:47 AM by Dan »

Offline D93

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2016, 12:50:43 AM »

Offline ganizzy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2016, 01:14:21 AM »
Are u taking into account the jetlag on both ends of the trip?

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 01:49:11 AM »
Are u taking into account the jetlag on both ends of the trip?
Another good point. While I think it's pretty easy to go from the US to Australia and not have jet lag, going from Israel could be a lot harder.

Offline tuvz

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2016, 03:51:20 AM »
No, but if he really wants to do more then just syd. Theres plenty to do in sydney, it's really a beautiful city.
U can also do the blue mountains and the animal park (can pet koala and kangaroos) and the caverns (forgot what its called)
The first 2 is a full day, short drive from Sydney

think you mean http://www.jenolancaves.org.au/
correct?

Offline D93

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2016, 05:20:10 AM »
Another good point. While I think it's pretty easy to go from the US to Australia and not have jet lag, going from Israel could be a lot harder.

Why is that?

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2016, 09:02:53 AM »
Why is that?
Because in "real"  time SYD and MEL are only 5 hours "behind" LA in our winter so there's not much of a time difference. It's very similar to flying from LAX to GIG or GRU which are 5 hours ahead in our winter.

Coming from TLV, SYD is 11 hours ahead, so more jet lag.

Pretty cool, eh?

Offline ganizzy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2016, 10:30:56 AM »

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2016, 11:26:08 AM »
It's vain and silly. Your own bed and your own shower are always going to be nicer than the skinny hard bed and 5 minute shower  abd bad food that you'll get.

J/F is a great way to make the flight an enjoyable part of the trip instead of torture. But I'm not in #CampLucky where the whole purpose in the flying and the destination is never experienced.  Flying for the sake of flying died years ago when mileage running stopped being a profitable sport.

That's one approach. And one with which you know I disagree.

Plenty of people like to fly lishma, for the experience, just like some people like to collect salt-water crystals... for whatever reason. One cannot (or perhaps should not) be critical of another's hobby simply because it doesn't make sense to the one doing the critiquing. That would be awfully conceited and pretentious.

Me and another guy 'round here will have these memories for life. And, I got to experience JJ F before it went dodo bird on us. I wouldn't Indian-trade that experience for 115K AA... ever.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2016, 11:31:49 AM »
That's one approach. And one with which you know I disagree.

Plenty of people like to fly lishma, for the experience, just like some people like to collect salt-water crystals... for whatever reason. One cannot (or perhaps should not) be critical of another's hobby simply because it doesn't make sense to the one doing the critiquing. That would be awfully conceited and pretentious.

Me and another guy 'round here will have these memories for life. And, I got to experience JJ F before it went dodo bird on us. I wouldn't Indian-trade that experience for 115K AA... ever.
I'm well aware of your disagreement and you're more than entitled to it. But I still think it's an incredible waste of time/resources to travel without a real destination or profit motive.

Though I'm more willing to budge on my view when it comes to an end of an era flight (Read: Concorde, JJ F, etc).

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2016, 11:49:37 AM »
I still think it's an incredible waste of time/resources to travel without a real destination or profit motive.

Hobbies, almost by definition, would not meet either of those criteria. While you may not have any hobbies in the typical sense of the word, or perhaps you share (with me) a "profit-driven" hobby like miles/points/cc's/cash back, plenty of folks engage in hobbies which are pursued for strictly for leisure and enjoyment, without regard for a "rational" or "profit" underpinning.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper