Author Topic: Mr. and Mrs. zow's weekend in Paris TR  (Read 4577 times)

Offline zow

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
Mr. and Mrs. zow's weekend in Paris TR
« on: January 12, 2016, 06:24:49 AM »
Many others have written about Paris, and I am grateful for all their information and all the other guidance that DDFers provided in planning this trip. I will try to stick to highlights and pearls that may add new info or clarify prior ambiguities.

Timing:
Depart BOS Thursday afternoon, return BOS Monday evening.

Flights:
AC glitch, $215pp, all in Y :(
BOS-YUL-CDG-YUL-CDG

Hotel:
PHP 30k/night, had Diamond status

Thursday:
Got to BOS early in hopes of spending time in Admirals Club--same terminal as AC departs. But AC departures/arrivals are in separate wing, no lounge access, and actually a pretty schlocky area. Quick flight to YUL was unremarkable.

YUL transit was easy.
No lounge for us , and actually no time for it.
YUL-CDG full flight.
Not bad seat/space for Y.
Meals were pretty good. See photos. Then I will continue TR later today or tomorrow, B'H.
Dinner:

Breakfast:

Both:

Last photo for now is from the AA lounge at CDG...I think it is calling my name:

Offline E-MAN

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Mr. and Mrs. zow's weekend in Paris TR
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 12:22:34 PM »
Thanks for taking the time. Looking forward to the rest!

Offline EJB

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 12:31:44 PM »
Did you just get back? I spent a weekend in Paris between Christmas and New Years'.

Offline Sholom123

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 03:12:43 PM »
Good job man, would love to see the rest.

Offline zow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 05:51:58 PM »

Thanks for taking the time. Looking forward to the rest!
Did you just get back? I spent a weekend in Paris between Christmas and New Years'.
Good job man, would love to see the rest.
Thanks!
Just got back last night.

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 06:38:23 PM »
For $215 I think you can put up with Y for that short of a flight. Thanks for sharing so far.

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 06:40:55 PM »
For $215 I think you can put up with Y for that short of a flight. Thanks for sharing so far.
+1
At that price I'd be smiling :)
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline zow

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 01:00:12 PM »
Part 2.

Yes, we were smiling about the $215RT airfare the whole weekend!

After landing in CDG, we made our way through security and back into Terminal 2A to spend some time in the Admiral Lounge. Reason for this detour, rather than just heading straight into Paris, was that we knew we wouldn't have slept a lot on the relatively short flight in Y, and we knew how much we would benefit from a shower to jump start our day, and I didn't want to wait another hour to daven shacharis, and we didn't know if we would be able to check into PHP before noon.

The Admiral's Club at CDG was solid. Not particularly fancy, pretty typical for Admirals Clubs I have visited in BOS and PHL, except the welcome addition of the shower. The food spread looked nice but I didn't think there was anything kosher, save for the fresh fruit (apples, pears, bananas, clementines) and the beverages (I enjoyed some Baileys, for example.) Subsequent to our departure from the lounge, I did find documentation on the Beth Din's website about what yogurts they consider kosher (albeit C'S), and I was very pleasantly surprised to see that "mainstream" yogurts like Dannon Activia and Yoplait are approved. [They had Acitivia natural (plain) at the lounge, a finding on which I capitalized on our departure a few days later. ]
  I don't have any photos from the lounge, other than that of the Emirates A380 that I posted earlier.

After showering, davening and recharging in the lounge, we took Uber X to PHP. €45. I think that must be a fixed rate. Took about 50 minutes.

We checked in to the PHP. The Guest Relations Manager, Melanie Salas, came out to the registration desk to greet us personally. I had emailed with her the week prior about our Shabbat and kashrut needs. 

The registration person walked us up to our room. I tipped her a few €, but I never know if that is expected or not. Or maybe they expect more than a few?

I don't have any photos of the room, but I will say that it was about as described.

Offline zow

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 01:11:57 PM »
Oops. My clumsy thumbs hit send too fast. But I should probably conclude this installment by saying that the room was elegant, very functional. The highlights are the bathroom  , as others have said, and the bed was very comfortable. Very serene and quiet. Plenty of room for two of us but not as nice as a suite. I need to sign off again, but in my next installment, I look forward to telling you about our meal at Thai One, Shabbos at Chabad C-E, why the Diamond breakfast is not as schvach as Dan makes it out to be, and more!

Offline zow

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 05:32:45 PM »
Part 3.
Friday afternoon.
We took an uber(€5) from PHP to Thai One. We called and they told us they were open until 2pm, so we really booked over there. Got there and found a non-kosher Chinese restaurant. Asked the woman if I had the address correct, and I did, but there was no Thai and no kosher. Now panicked and disappointed, we verified the address by phone with Thai One, and almost next door, we found the restaurant. I guess they share an address! It was weird that the woman in the Chinese restaurant would not help me at all. I can't imagine she didn't know there was a Thai place next door!  In any case, turns out they were staying open until 3pm, so no need to rush. As  others (I think it was Yehoshua) have said, this place is the real deal. We had chicken pad Thai and a beef curry dish. Served with sticky rice. I had a beer and DW a Coke. She snapped the following picture when I was on the phone with the kids (we used HipSim, $89 for the 4 days for phone/SMS/data...probably not the cheapest deal but it was very easy and worked well).
Here is the pic:

Price was very reasonable:

And the portions were generous. (We had been worried about not eating enough on Friday afternoon after reading Yuguy's report last month :))

After Thai One, we Uber'd (again about €5) to the Marais, stopped in Korcarz for provisions (really just pastries...wanted something non-carbo but with Shabbos approaching nothing was open, and I didn't know at the time that I could have gotten "regular" yogurt. Plus, we didn't have a fridge, and at the time I wasn't aware of the trick --Yehoshua again, I think -- to ask hotel to empty the minibar). So, got a bunch of pastries and a box of macarons as "insurance" in case we couldn't get more from Damyel or others later).

After shopping, we took a nice walk back to the hotel, got ready for Shabbos, and walked to Chabad.

To be continued.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2016, 06:53:15 PM »
Glad you enjoyed ThaiOne. It really was good, but with two Thai restaurants in LA it wasn't particularly special for us. Plus when we were there it was uber crowded; our seats were  sandwiched between others at one of the long tables.

AFAIK you're the 2nd person here on DDF to review the place, so I'm glad you also found it to be enjoyable.

Offline zow

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2016, 10:17:43 PM »
Part 4.
Shabbat and Motzei Shabbos.

Although I was intrigued with the possibility of davening in La Synagogue Victoire (Grand Synagogue), in the end, I went with the tried and true Chabad  Champs-Élysées. Others have described it quite well, so I'll try to add a few details that may not appear elsewhere.

Friday evening:
1. We walked from PHP, because we were worried we might have difficulty finding our way back if we had taken the Metro there.  But I wish we had done as others advised -- take the Metro on Friday afternoon and leave metro tickets in your tallis bag for the return motsei Shabbos.
2. The rabbi gives a shiur between mincha and kabbalat Shabbat. It was all in French, and I can understand a little bit, but I was so exhausted that I was falling asleep the whole time and couldn't wait for davening to resume!
3. After davening, there's a light kiddush downstairs, and then those who are pre-paid and staying for the dinner, wash and head back upstairs.
4. The dinner was scrumptious, multiple courses, served on china, tons of food. The rabbi came by to offer l'chaims with vodka or scotch.  I would have liked to have a nice bottle of wine with dinner, but then again, given how tired I was, probably better that we didn't.
5. The walk back down Champs-Élysées was beautiful, though very crowded.

Shabbat morning:
1. We had pre-arranged for our Diamond breakfast to be delivered at 0900, and that knock on the door is what woke me up!
2. Breakfast was identical each morning was identical. It consisted of 4 danish pastries and a half-baguette per person all from Korcarz (so we had 8 pastries between the two of us every morning!),  fresh squeezed orange juice, coffee, and a quart of shelf-stable CY milk.  I understand that back in the day, the Diamond breakfast was even more over the top, but I really couldn't complain about what we got. A little variety would have been nice, but it was still excellent.

3. I davened shacharis in the room and then we walked to Chabad, arriving in the middle of the drash, and then davened musaf.
4. They had a very generous kiddush, lots of finger sandwiches, some sushi, crackers, soda. We weren't too hungry, so we just had a little bit and then left. (We had not signed up for lunch, and it was a good thing -- still full from breakfast.)

Shabbat afternoon:
1. We walked for about two hours -- we think we covered about 6 miles -- from Chabad, up Champs-Élysées past l'Arc de Triomph, and then cut over to the Seine, and then back along the Seine for a bit.  We lucked out with great weather -- it was in the 40s or 50s (Farenheit) and dry that day.
2. Got back to the PHP, davened mincha on my own, ate a meal (I guess it counts as seuda shlishit, even though we didn't really have a meal at lunch time), and then walked back to Chabad, where they were in shiur during their seuda shlishit.
3. Davened ma'ariv and made Havdalah at Chabad.  The time between finishing ma'ariv and doing havdalah was a little weird. There was about 10 or 15 minutes during which the rabbi flipped on a video that showed the Rebbe giving some kind of shiur in Yiddish. There was no translation so I couldn't really follow, and we really just wanted to make havdalah and get to dinner!

Motsei Shabbos:
1. We walked back to PHP (we estimate that we walked about 10 miles over Shabbat, maybe more!) and then Metro to Darjeeling.
2. Darjeeling has a locked front door and requires you to push the buzzer/door bell to enter.
3. We ordered some samosas for appetizer, a few types of naan, a lamb noodle dish and a chicken curry dish.  And we each had a beer -- I think it was Kingfisher.
4. Of course I forgot to take pix of the food (but I did snap the receipt) but the food was all very good.  Would definitely go back.

5. Metro back to the PHP and hit the hay.

One more day to follow....

« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 10:23:33 PM by zow »

Offline itsyehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2016, 11:50:29 PM »
Nice Installment.
I remember when a coke was a nickel, and you could buy VRs in OD.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2016, 06:41:51 AM »
Wow, that was quite a lot of walking on shabbos! Thanks for sharing!

Offline Sholom123

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2016, 10:59:36 AM »
Great job.

Offline zow

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2016, 11:42:55 PM »
Wow, that was quite a lot of walking on shabbos! Thanks for sharing!
I had eaten all of the Korcarz pastries in my box, and two of my DW's...it was either walk or not be able to button my pants!

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2016, 09:19:09 AM »
I had eaten all of the Korcarz pastries in my box, and two of my DW's...it was either walk or not be able to button my pants!
Lol

Offline zow

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2016, 07:32:40 PM »
Part 5. The final installment.

Sunday.

DW and I both woke early to work out. Before you start thinking that we were so virtuous, just bear in mind all the pastries, and noodles, and naan, and beer…not working out was just not an option.

The fitness center at PHP was solid. No pictures (sorry) but I can remember that there were about two treadmills, two ellipticals, and one or two bikes. They had a universal-type cable machine that was pretty good for both push (chest/shoulders/triceps) and pull (back/biceps). There was a small rack of dumbbells that went up to about 20kg IIRC. They had ample mini bottles of Evian and green apples for the taking. Plenty of towels around.

After a quick workout and shower, I headed to Beth El for shacharis. I was pleased that Yehoshua had provided this guidance. (I understand that he actually ended up at the shul across from Beth El, and as you'll see, maybe that's where I should have gone, too.) I looked online the night before and found out that shacharis would be at either 8 or 8:30 or maybe both? I had yahrtzeit for my father, so I wasn't going to take any chances and made sure I got there by 7:55. Wouldn't you know it, though, that I walk in and they are already past borchu! They must have started at 7:45?

I know that Yehoshua said he davened across the street, but at this point, I didn't want to walk out and go searching, and there really wasn't anybody I could ask -- they were all davening! So, I wrapped and raced and caught up by the time they were finishing the repetition.

I'm not accustomed to davening sefard, so it was a little confusing as to the order of the conclusion of the service. I also didn't know that I was supposed to go stand at the bimah when I said Kaddish, but I figured that out. And then, after alenu, there was some kind of discussion -- in a mix of French and Hebrew, both of which I can understand when spoken slowly and clearly but not so much when it is fast and mixed together -- about a blessing for a fast. I know that some people have a minhag of fasting on the day they observe a parent’s yahrtzeit, but I don't do that, and that is not what they were talking about. Instead, apparently there is a minhag (Halacha?) to fast the day before every Rosh Chodesh. And there is some blessing that is recited for those who are undertaking it. And then I think they recited a Mishna. Followed by a Kaddish.  Who knew?! (As an aside, are there any ashkenaz Shuls or communities in Paris? What do expats do when they move to Paris? Become sfard?)

A word about security and Shuls. Others have previously described the security at Chabad champs Elysees. At Beth El, as well as in front of the shul I went to for mincha/maariv in the 19eme, and outside Shuls in the Marais, there were armed military, usually two or three soldiers. With their automatic rifles in hand. I could see how this could make some people uncomfortable, and it could also make others feel secure. For me, it was sort of neutral.

After davening I walked back to PH, where DW and I enjoyed our breakfast. Then, we were off to do some sightseeing. DW had never been to top of l’Arc de Triomphe, so that was our first destination. The weather was overcast but the panoramic views from the top are nonetheless spectacular. We particularly enjoyed watching the traffic merge in and out of Place l’Etoile. We were struck by the observation that cars entering the rotary have the right-of-way. Gotta be a lot of fender benders there!

While enjoying the views, the weather took a turn and it started to rain. It was really just a drizzle, off and on, and it wasn’t too cold out (maybe the 40s), so we decided to take the Metro to Rive Gauche and do some exploring. We followed Rick Steves’ guide book and enjoyed weaving our way in and out of this “artist and writer” colony. After about two hours, we were getting hungry, so we took the Metro over to the Marais for some falafel.

We had heard much raving about L’as du Falafel, and apparently so did the rest of the world, because there was a pretty long line. But it moved fast – they have a guy taking orders and asking you to pay while you wait in line, and he gives you a paper receipt. Seems to move things along pretty well. We took our falafels back to the PH to eat there, as it was raining out, and the waiting time to sit down in the restaurant was longer than take-away.  Note that there are several falafel stands/restaurants in Le Marais, all in close proximity to each other. I’m not sure that any of them, other than L’as du Falafel, have hashgacha. Moreover, if you’re going all the way to Paris, I think you want L’as du Falafel.

The falafel did not disappoint. It was delicious. Generous portions. The falafel balls are bigger than those to which I’m accustomed, but they had great flavor.  Others have said this is the best falafel in the world. I’m not sure I’ll go that far, having enjoyed some pretty darn good falafel in Israel (at places that I unfortunately can’t remember the name) but it’s among the best. DW in particular enjoyed the grilled eggplant that was included.

After enjoying our falafel lunch, we made some phone calls to check on family back home, and soon enough, it was getting to be time for mincha.  I didn’t really want to go back to Beth El, because it wasn’t clear what time mincha was called for. I had asked some of the guys before I left, and they said 4:50. And then I asked, so, since it’s a fast day, do you read Torah? And they said yes, if there are 10 men who are fasting, and in that case, they would start at 4:30.  By this time, there were only a handful of guys left in the shul, so it wasn’t at all clear if they would have 10 men fasting and be reading Torah (and now, in retrospect, I wonder if they would read Torah anyway, since it’s not a community-wide fast day like 10 Tevet but more of a “discretionary” fast accepted by individuals.).  But I didn’t want to go at 4:30 and have to sit around and wait, and I definitely didn’t want to go at 4:50 and be late again.  So, I got to thinking, maybe we’ll go explore another Jewish area, the 19eme arrondisement.

We jumped on the Metro and zipped to the 19eme. I had no idea where to daven, but I figured we would see some frum guys and just ask them. Sure enough, as soon as we saw daylight out of the Metro, we happen upon a couple of teenage yeshiva bochurs, who didn’t mind my broken French and gave us directions to a kosher restaurant, and from there, we got directions to a couple of shul possibilities.  Without too much difficulty , we found our way to a shul, and there were a couple of older guys studying on their own, and we were about 15 minutes early for mincha, but that was fine.  We davened mincha and ma’ariv (nusach sefard again), and then we wandered around the 19eme.

I was looking for Damyel at 149 Villa Manin, 75019 Paris, France, but we couldn’t find it. Google map led us to what looked like a residential street.  But no big deal, as we had already bought some macarons at Korcarz for just this possibility.  I wanted to check out Hyper Cacher, mostly as a way of showing solidarity. Turns out, the first Hyper Cacher, which I think is where the bombing occurred, is closed for renovation.

As far as I could tell, they had been open for several months after the bombing, but only recently closed for renovation. The sign directed us to another branch, so we walked over there.

Here is the front of the branch that’s currently open. 

Nothing special inside – I mean, it’s just a kosher market, a little dingy, but a great selection of cheese!  We picked up some Camembert, a half-bottle of champagne, and decided we would eat a light dinner back in the room.  So away we went, by Metro.

Here’s our dinner. Nothing fancy, but we really enjoyed.

We were pretty tired out after another day with a lot of walking, so we hit the hay.

Monday, return to Boston.

Monday morning, we awoke around 7, worked out in the fitness center again, and I davened in the room (even though it was Rosh Chodesh). We ate our last room service breakfast (same exact thing as the two previous days!), checked out, walked to l’Opera where we caught the Roissy Bus (easy walk, maybe 10 minutes, and easy to find the bus, not crowded).  It was about 55 minutes drive to CDG. After passing immigration and an easy-check-in at CDG, we made our way back to the Admiral Club, where we ate some more, watched some planes, and got ready for our flight back home.

(More A380 envy, I guess. )

The return flight was pretty uneventful. We didn’t sleep at all. Almost completely full flight. They served a meat lunch and then a pareve snack.  We were hungry, and the food tasted pretty good.   I found the portion sizes to be on the small side. (Why they get the meals from the Netherlands is unclear to me...wouldn't there be a place in Paris to get them from?)

After arriving in Montreal, we got a little confused as to which line we needed to be in to transit to the US. In retrospect, I should have asked for directions sooner than I did, because we wasted time in the line that would have taken us into Canada, whereas all we needed to do was to go to the US immigration line in a separate wing of the arrival terminal. So we didn’t have much time to hang in the airport (not that I had any lounge available to visit anyway), and we boarded our little commuter jet back to Boston.

After the less-than-one-hour trip, we touched down at Logan. I swapped out the France sim card from my phone and, upon inserting my usual Verizon sim card, the phone not unexpectedly starts beeping crazily with accumulated text messages.  My DW smiles and says, “Must be Dan’s Deals.” As I acknowledge her, the couple sitting in front of us overhears and his DW says to him, “Hey honey, they have Dan’s Deals, too.”  So of course we start talking the language. The guy says he’s into real estate, and he also says he’s not on the Forum. But they were flying on the same AC glitch that we were on, though they had gone all the way to Turkey and had been gone for more than a week. He told me that he had done the Etihad glitch to AUH and JNB; I’m still sad that I didn’t jump on that one.  And he mentioned that he and his DW (or whatever she was to him) were soon going for two weeks to Jamaica on some EHD or SF glitch – I recall vaguely seeing that one but can’t remember the details.  And then we exchanged some talk about Target Red Card (a’h) and off we went our separate ways. 

Best thing that DW and I took away from this trip – aside from having a wonderful time together just the two of us – is that we could really take off for a long weekend and go almost anywhere. Of course we would prefer longer trips, but a three-day trip to Paris did not feel too short, and we would do it again in a heartbeat. 

Thanks to everyone who advised and helped make this trip special. À bientôt.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 07:48:33 PM by zow »

Offline shwarmabob

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2016, 09:36:15 AM »
thanks for the nice TR!

they were flying on the same AC glitch that we were on
he had done the Etihad glitch to AUH and JNB;

So many missed glitches I feel terrible.

Offline zow

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2016, 10:05:46 AM »

thanks for the nice TR!

So many missed glitches I feel terrible.
Thanks! One thing I have learned is that there will be more glitches!