Author Topic: How do you dress while flying?  (Read 14617 times)

Offline Sport

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: How do you dress while flying?
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2016, 11:41:34 AM »
No one heard of the concept of a hat and jacket in public? Pretty standard in the yeshiva/chassidish world.
Just curious, do you wear a hat and jacket in public when on vacation?

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2016, 11:45:47 AM »
Just curious, do you wear a hat and jacket in public when on vacation?
I was just saying that the concept of a hat and jacket is fairly acceptable and common.

As for myself, vacation never happens.  :'(

Offline CS91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2016, 11:56:40 AM »
Please don't get sanctimonious when you discuss how to dress and then disregard the idea of "projecting a more upscale image" when you talk.
Couldn't of said it better myself.

No one heard of the concept of a hat and jacket in public? Pretty standard in the yeshiva/chassidish world.
Do you really feel the need to bring your crap to every single thread on this forum?

Offline Sport

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2016, 12:11:37 PM »
Do you really feel the need to bring your crap to every single thread on this forum?
Hey give the guy a break.

As for myself, vacation never happens.  :'(

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2016, 12:16:38 PM »

Link?

Offline Freddie

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2016, 12:28:36 PM »
Wow. I've been on DDF for too long. Henche calls me a jerk and a rasha on one thread and I am honored then I find CBC and I once again are hashkafic kindred spirits.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2016, 12:43:31 PM »
I generally try to dress in clothes that are comfortable but still a bit nicer looking. There is a balance. For long haul flights I occasionally change into something a bit more comfortable or just throw on a big sweatshirt.  I personally wouldn't want to head onto the plane dressed looking like I'm in Pajamas.   Just flew to TLV recently with a plane full of folks in sweats , T-shirts and their ugh slippers.  Seriously tons of frum Jew's looking like it was their uniform.

When I'm on vacation, I usually wear hiking pants, a t-shirt (or sweat-shirt), and crocs. That's what I wore on my flight to TLV, and then have unfortunately been walking around looking more yeshivish than I usually do, since it is israel and all that.

But, I'll be back in my t-shirt for the flight home.

Most fun is getting on a plane after like  a 3-4 day hike, not having showered, wearing the same clothes from the trail. 

Offline Dr Moose

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2016, 12:45:46 PM »

Most fun is getting on a plane after like  a 3-4 day hike, not having showered, wearing the same clothes from the trail.
Trying to blend in with the natives. Got it.
Hey there! I am using DansDeals Forums.

Offline Myccrabbi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2016, 01:44:53 PM »
Black pants white shirt in Y/J domestic/international FTW!
If u work for a living, why kill urself working?

Offline CS91

• View Profile

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2016, 02:00:09 PM »
Here you go: http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=6285

I'm not one to shy away from a good fight. But you don't post anything of substance besides the fact that you don't like me. - I'm just going to ignore your pathetic "attacks" until you come up with something half intelligent.

Offline EJB

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2016, 02:09:25 PM »

I'm not one to shy away from a good fight. But you don't post anything of substance besides the fact that you don't like me. - I'm just going to ignore your pathetic "attacks" until you come up with something half intelligent.

I like you and still think you're wrong.

I agree w @yehuda - the most important thing is to make a kiddish hashem regardless of where you are, including when taking a flight. If you're holding up the line arguing with a hat and jacket that your carry on fits in the overhead bin and shouldn't have to be gate checked, you're not acting dignified, upscale, or like a child of G-D.

Also, don't confuse a uniform w looking more upscale/dignified.

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2016, 02:27:16 PM »

Though I'd love to go through each and every one of your posts to show you why I think your an a$$hole, I have better things to do with my time.

As for me not "liking you," it's more that I feel bad for you. For some reason, whoever educated you about Judaism as a child did a poor job at teaching you one of the premises of our religion – Derech Eretz Kadma L'Torah. I don't care how many hours a day you learn or spend in a Beis Medrash, the way that you treat/judge people here and talk badly about others is inexcusable.

And oh, it's not just me that has an issue with you. I got numerous PMs after I responded to one of your comments re: Tamar Epstein saying that I shouldn't waste my time with you and that they're embarrassed at the Chillul Hashem that you cause on these forums. And do I really need to remind you about that time that you were temporarily banned from DDF? I'm clearly not the only one here that has an issue with you.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2016, 02:31:08 PM »

I agree w @yehuda - the most important thing is to make a kiddish hashem regardless of where you are, including when taking a flight. If you're holding up the line arguing with a hat and jacket that your carry on fits in the overhead bin and shouldn't have to be gate checked, you're not acting dignified, upscale, or like a child of G-D.

I am not arguing here that one should wear a H&J.

I was just posting in response to a bunch of post that seemed to be incredulous towards the concept, that this is a fairly common and normative practice in some communities.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2016, 02:39:16 PM »

Though I'd love to go through each and every one of your posts to show you why I think your an a$$hole, I have better things to do with my time.

As for me not "liking you," it's more that I feel bad for you. For some reason, whoever educated you about Judaism as a child did a poor job at teaching you one of the premises of our religion – Derech Eretz Kadma L'Torah. I don't care how many hours a day you learn or spend in a Beis Medrash, the way that you treat/judge people here and talk badly about others is inexcusable.

And oh, it's not just me that has an issue with you. I got numerous PMs after I responded to one of your comments re: Tamar Epstein saying that I shouldn't waste my time with you and that they're embarrassed at the Chillul Hashem that you cause on these forums. And do I really need to remind you about that time that you were temporarily banned from DDF? I'm clearly not the only one here that has an issue with you.

If you want to discuss why you feel that publicizing the halachic fiasco about the heter is a " chillul hasem" be my guest in the correct thread. - il be glad to set you straight.

Talk about being banned, stam picking on an individual and calling them names without a substantive argument is probably against forum rules. But i M not going to complain. Bring it on

Also, Il stay away from discussion my " ban". Cuz it probably won't look good for the ban'er. - Nothing that I regret or am ashamed of.

Offline EJB

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2016, 03:14:06 PM »

If you want to discuss why you feel that publicizing the halachic fiasco about the heter is a " chillul hasem" be my guest in the correct thread. - il be glad to set you straight.

Talk about being banned, stam picking on an individual and calling them names without a substantive argument is probably against forum rules. But i M not going to complain. Bring it on

Also, Il stay away from discussion my " ban". Cuz it probably won't look good for the ban'er. - Nothing that I regret or am ashamed of.

/discussion on both sides. Thanks!

Offline GettingReady

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2016, 06:25:10 PM »
Getting back to the topic, I would love to wear scrubs. After numerous washings, most comfortable outfit ever. However, guess I'll have to dress a little more fitting for our first international business/first class trip---which is why I started reading this thread in the first trip.

Offline joe1234

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2016, 06:46:27 PM »

if you believe that the right thing to do is to wear H&J, then if your going to be doing that(holding up the line arguing...) its not an excuse not to wear H&J. R' moshe feinstein has a similar tshuva about someone going to a theatre, and he said that even though if he would mean it leshem shomayim to take off his yarmulke so to not to make a chillul  hashem, then it would be the right thing to do, but since he is doing the wrong thing it is evident that he doesn't care about leshem shomayim, so he should therefore not take off his yarmulke as that would just be an additional aveirah.

Offline Freddie

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2016, 06:50:58 PM »
if you believe that the right thing to do is to wear H&J, then if your going to be doing that(holding up the line arguing...) its not an excuse not to wear H&J. R' moshe feinstein has a similar tshuva about someone going to a theatre, and he said that even though if he would mean it leshem shomayim to take off his yarmulke so to not to make a chillul  hashem, then it would be the right thing to do, but since he is doing the wrong thing it is evident that he doesn't care about leshem shomayim, so he should therefore not take off his yarmulke as that would just be an additional aveirah.

That's brilliant! (Not surprising, of course.)

Do you know where this is?

Offline joe1234

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2016, 07:36:32 PM »
That's brilliant! (Not surprising, of course.)

Do you know where this is?

orach chaim chelek bais, end of siman tzadi hei, and
yorah deiah chelek bais, end of lamed gimel.