Author Topic: Comments That Leave Me Speechless...  (Read 178598 times)

Offline Avid Reader

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
Re: Comments That Leave Me Speechless...
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2011, 06:22:18 PM »
Today's winner of CTLMS goes to Debbie!
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/13189/comment-page-1#comment-79131
ROTFL ;D
+1

I can't help thinking this was an inside job (SF, danielz? someone from here).

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 40K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14379
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2011, 06:27:48 PM »
I can't help thinking this was an inside job (SF, danielz? someone from here).
Nope, legit email address/ip.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline dirah

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2011, 07:04:41 PM »
Yup, when fax machines came out, our secretary couldn't figure it out.
"I've tried to send this fax fifty times already, and the paper just keeps on coming out the other end".

Offline Avid Reader

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2011, 07:09:03 PM »
Yup, when fax machines came out, our secretary couldn't figure it out.
"I've tried to send this fax fifty times already, and the paper just keeps on coming out the other end".
LOL...

Offline HSS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, BMI Silver, Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Club Gold
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2011, 07:04:56 PM »

I am not really sure I understand why Debbie's comment deserves such flack.  Yes it was poorly written but I dont think the question was ridiculous.

What she sounded to me, to be asking was that she signed her and her daughter up for the BMI accounts waited a half an hour and still didnt receive any confirmation email from them (which I and most others probably received instantly) so then she applied a second time and yet again received no email confirmation from them.  So all she was asking was to find out if there was a problem with BMI's system having an extra-ordinarily long time to send those confirmation emails and if anyone else had similar experiences.

Am I missing something?

HSS

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2011, 07:10:33 PM »
I understood it the same way.

Offline YOSEF

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2011, 07:27:10 PM »
I am not really sure I understand why Debbie's comment deserves such flack.  Yes it was poorly written but I dont think the question was ridiculous.

What she sounded to me, to be asking was that she signed her and her daughter up for the BMI accounts waited a half an hour and still didnt receive any confirmation email from them (which I and most others probably received instantly) so then she applied a second time and yet again received no email confirmation from them.  So all she was asking was to find out if there was a problem with BMI's system having an extra-ordinarily long time to send those confirmation emails and if anyone else had similar experiences.

Am I missing something?

HSS
I thought she had sent forms in to bmi to match her other status.

Offline HSS

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, BMI Silver, Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Club Gold
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2011, 07:47:16 PM »

but there is no online form for that is there? i dont believe there is, otherwise its news to me.

she wrote she "completed the forms and submitted them" so sounds like the BMI signup application to me....

HSS

Offline Q274

• View Profile
  • Programs: barely
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2011, 07:58:40 PM »
I am with yosef on this one

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 40K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14379
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2011, 08:11:38 PM »
+1.
I though she was talking about submitting forms (faxing/emailing) for status matching on a post that was about status matching.

but there is no online form for that is there?
Where did she say she submitted it online?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline eliteflyer

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2011, 09:23:58 PM »
seems like were going to need to open another forum for comments about the comments in this thread. :-O

Offline HSS

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2011, 09:28:05 PM »
+1.
I though she was talking about submitting forms (faxing/emailing) for status matching on a post that was about status matching.

lol, u thought this lady is capable of that?? ;D

Offline josh nyc

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2011, 12:22:05 PM »
Its not really clear what she did. I cant either figure out what she means by submitting and resubmitting. If she was "applying" then we could figure out what she did. But who calls applying online "submitting forms"???

I think a big problem on the blog lies in the fact that people do not understand that "comment" does not mean "please ask every question that may pop into your head" (its also obvious from the people that phrase their comments "Dan: what do I do..." that they perceive the comments sections as an "ask dan" section) There may also be a few trolls running around here.
And its extremely rude that people cannot be bothered to read other comments before reposting previously asked questions. One solution to that is the old "deadspin method" (deadspin.com the raunchy sports blog)- all commentators (commenters?) go through a vesting process whereby they can post comments, but their comments will not appear on the site until they are given "approved commenter" status by an admin. You are only granted approved status after around 10/15 comments that make sense and show a sensitivity to not wasting other people's time. Also your commenting privileges can be suspended or revoked at any time, which makes people think twice before posting a comment. Annoying and maybe not appropriate here but the comments on the blog are turning into a mess imo.

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2011, 12:42:03 PM »
Its not really clear what she did. I cant either figure out what she means by submitting and resubmitting. If she was "applying" then we could figure out what she did. But who calls applying online "submitting forms"???

I think a big problem on the blog lies in the fact that people do not understand that "comment" does not mean "please ask every question that may pop into your head" (its also obvious from the people that phrase their comments "Dan: what do I do..." that they perceive the comments sections as an "ask dan" section) There may also be a few trolls running around here.
And its extremely rude that people cannot be bothered to read other comments before reposting previously asked questions. One solution to that is the old "deadspin method" (deadspin.com the raunchy sports blog)- all commentators (commenters?) go through a vesting process whereby they can post comments, but their comments will not appear on the site until they are given "approved commenter" status by an admin. You are only granted approved status after around 10/15 comments that make sense and show a sensitivity to not wasting other people's time. Also your commenting privileges can be suspended or revoked at any time, which makes people think twice before posting a comment. Annoying and maybe not appropriate here but the comments on the blog are turning into a mess imo.

approving comments takes an enormous amount of time

Offline josh nyc

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2011, 01:09:21 PM »
approving comments takes an enormous amount of time

Well thats why I said - it may be inappropriate.
I can only imagine the time spent, and im sure its a lot of time (thanks!). Maybe a warning on the site that if you are flagged for not reading the previous comments before you post your own, the next time (time #2) or the 3rd time (3 strike rule) you get a one week comment suspension and then for another infraction after that a 3 month ban etc....im only suggesting. Obviously Dan & Co. do whatever they/you feel is best. But its obvious that the comments on the blog (and hopefully it wont spread to the forums) are beginning to be overrun by people who do not understand how to properly use them