Author Topic: Comments That Leave Me Speechless...  (Read 660716 times)

Offline eliteflyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Comments That Leave Me Speechless...
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2011, 09:23:58 PM »
seems like were going to need to open another forum for comments about the comments in this thread. :-O

Offline HSS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, BMI Silver, Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Club Gold
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2011, 09:28:05 PM »
+1.
I though she was talking about submitting forms (faxing/emailing) for status matching on a post that was about status matching.

lol, u thought this lady is capable of that?? ;D

Offline josh nyc

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2011, 12:22:05 PM »
Its not really clear what she did. I cant either figure out what she means by submitting and resubmitting. If she was "applying" then we could figure out what she did. But who calls applying online "submitting forms"???

I think a big problem on the blog lies in the fact that people do not understand that "comment" does not mean "please ask every question that may pop into your head" (its also obvious from the people that phrase their comments "Dan: what do I do..." that they perceive the comments sections as an "ask dan" section) There may also be a few trolls running around here.
And its extremely rude that people cannot be bothered to read other comments before reposting previously asked questions. One solution to that is the old "deadspin method" (deadspin.com the raunchy sports blog)- all commentators (commenters?) go through a vesting process whereby they can post comments, but their comments will not appear on the site until they are given "approved commenter" status by an admin. You are only granted approved status after around 10/15 comments that make sense and show a sensitivity to not wasting other people's time. Also your commenting privileges can be suspended or revoked at any time, which makes people think twice before posting a comment. Annoying and maybe not appropriate here but the comments on the blog are turning into a mess imo.

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2011, 12:42:03 PM »
Its not really clear what she did. I cant either figure out what she means by submitting and resubmitting. If she was "applying" then we could figure out what she did. But who calls applying online "submitting forms"???

I think a big problem on the blog lies in the fact that people do not understand that "comment" does not mean "please ask every question that may pop into your head" (its also obvious from the people that phrase their comments "Dan: what do I do..." that they perceive the comments sections as an "ask dan" section) There may also be a few trolls running around here.
And its extremely rude that people cannot be bothered to read other comments before reposting previously asked questions. One solution to that is the old "deadspin method" (deadspin.com the raunchy sports blog)- all commentators (commenters?) go through a vesting process whereby they can post comments, but their comments will not appear on the site until they are given "approved commenter" status by an admin. You are only granted approved status after around 10/15 comments that make sense and show a sensitivity to not wasting other people's time. Also your commenting privileges can be suspended or revoked at any time, which makes people think twice before posting a comment. Annoying and maybe not appropriate here but the comments on the blog are turning into a mess imo.

approving comments takes an enormous amount of time

Offline josh nyc

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2011, 01:09:21 PM »

Well thats why I said - it may be inappropriate.
I can only imagine the time spent, and im sure its a lot of time (thanks!). Maybe a warning on the site that if you are flagged for not reading the previous comments before you post your own, the next time (time #2) or the 3rd time (3 strike rule) you get a one week comment suspension and then for another infraction after that a 3 month ban etc....im only suggesting. Obviously Dan & Co. do whatever they/you feel is best. But its obvious that the comments on the blog (and hopefully it wont spread to the forums) are beginning to be overrun by people who do not understand how to properly use them

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2011, 01:21:16 PM »
All comments on the main site are moderated.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2011, 05:50:45 PM »
There is a difference between moderated and approving every single post before they appear.

Offline Yellow

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Hertz #1 gold, Accor Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2011, 09:25:29 PM »
There is a difference between moderated and approving every single post before they appear.
whats the diff?

Offline Avid Reader

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2011, 10:48:20 PM »
But its obvious that the comments on the blog (and hopefully it wont spread to the forums) are beginning to be overrun by people who do not understand how to properly use them
And people who don't even know what / why they are applying for.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2011, 12:25:49 AM »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2011, 12:49:51 AM »
Thanks Chaikel.

Now if only mm could figure out how to forum...
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/13255/comment-page-1#comment-79326

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2011, 12:56:13 AM »
Thanks Chaikel.

Noooo, our n00b quota is full :P
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Avid Reader

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2011, 01:43:19 AM »
Thanks Chaikel.

Noooo, our n00b quota is full :P

I think if we want the site to grow, we should have a noobie (flame free) thread directing new users to aks their questions there first and we point them in the right direction.

It would also be helpful to have a simple guideline for new users on how to ask questions, for example for flights, to post dates, cities, budget, miles etc. same for rental cars and other stuff.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2011, 01:45:02 AM »
It would also be helpful to have a simple guideline for new users on how to ask questions, for example for flights, to post dates, cities, budget, miles etc. same for rental cars and other stuff.

There's a lot (or some?) of that in here.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2011, 10:18:06 AM »
@PC: I think to moderate means, that someone is sifting through the posts, and whatever he doesn't like gets removed, where as approving, means that for every single message the moderator needs to click : I approve, before it gets displayed.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2011, 10:34:13 AM »
@PC: I think to moderate means, that someone is sifting through the posts, and whatever he doesn't like gets removed, where as approving, means that for every single message the moderator needs to click : I approve, before it gets displayed.
Comment moderation means approving every message that's posted.

Offline josh nyc

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2011, 01:26:12 PM »
Whether its moderating or approving (and in this case I dont think anyone should be confused - all the posts are moderated, meaning they are all "approved"), there can still be retroactive flagging. If someone is making inane comments or repeating previously asked questions they can be told - if you continue to ignore the commenting policies your commenting privileges will be temporarily suspended. But this may still be way too much effort for what its worth.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2011, 03:20:52 PM »

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2011, 03:24:13 PM »

Offline danielz

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2011, 03:38:41 PM »
Whether its moderating or approving (and in this case I dont think anyone should be confused - all the posts are moderated, meaning they are all "approved"), there can still be retroactive flagging. If someone is making inane comments or repeating previously asked questions they can be told - if you continue to ignore the commenting policies your commenting privileges will be temporarily suspended. But this may still be way too much effort for what its worth.

Yes, I agree. Anyone making inane comments should be banned, and all their miles and points confiscated.