• Main page should only have a small portion of the post ✔ Done
  • Ability to view only certain categories, split the site to topics ✔ Done
  • Better search (like google custom search ✈ In Progress
  • A modern theme for DDMS ✔ Done
  • Give the ability to readers to vote on a deal - ✋ Under Consideration
  • Make the webpage wider it should fit today's size monitors ✔ Done
  • Mobile site ✔ Done
  • Post list on sidebar ✔ Done
  • Add 1 thumbnail to the side of each title (If not adding pics to each post) ✔ Done
  • A "read more" arrow that expands the post content inline, not a new page ✈ In Progress
  • In the comments section: instead of Dan replying to 6 diff people in one post, it should be like facebook. each comment can have a reply✔ Done
  • Email notifications if someone replies to your comment ✔ Done
  • Ability to edit comments after posting, to correct typos or update info etc. ✔ Done (registered users only)

Progress Status Updated by Suave on 1/15 8:27am
« Last edited by Suave on January 15, 2017, 07:27:42 AM »

Poll

Do you think DansDeals.com (Main Site) has room to improve?

Yes, can improve a lot
Yes, but not that much
No, perfect and convenient

Author Topic: DDMS Redesign Suggestions  (Read 47166 times)

Offline chucksterace

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 40
    • View Profile
    • LYNX IT Consulting
  • Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Premier 1K; ; LY Plat; Hyatt Platinum; Hertz President's Circle; Avis President's Club
Re: New DansDeals website!
« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2016, 01:11:31 AM »
Once I'm doing it, why put lipstick on a pig?
Go big or go home.

Sure. But i like my pig roasted over an open flame.
You may not hold me responsible for any actions taken that were recommended from my account or username.

Offline AROCKS1

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2016, 05:50:14 AM »
Once I'm doing it, why put lipstick on a pig?
Go big or go home.

Because you are hesitant to make the investment that it would require to replace the pig. Ayain upthread :)

Offline Ephraimh

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2016, 08:44:17 AM »
I think DDMS intentially maintains the look of a rough/hack/ yeshivish toilet paper deal site.
It is baked into the brand. If it becomes a modern fully comercialized site it will lose its uniqueness.

- I'm just playing devil's advocate. I personally would love a pretty new site, more organized and a good search bar..
#drudge

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 05, 2016, 09:16:40 AM »
Why don't you change the theme to sparkling? it's free and mobile friendly modern design.

http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=42386.msg1135833#msg1135833
["-"]

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #84 on: April 05, 2016, 09:28:04 AM »
Why don't you change the theme to sparkling? it's free and mobile friendly modern design.

http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=42386.msg1135833#msg1135833

Seems very image based while DD is very text based, no?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline elit

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 05, 2016, 09:38:07 AM »
I am actually surprised you guys all still go to ddms I only go there if a tweet interests me or if something here references it but then I go straight to the specific article so the Web design is pretty irrelevant

Offline Shauly101

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Dirshu!
« Reply #86 on: April 05, 2016, 09:42:21 AM »
I wonder what would happen if DDMS implemented usable search.
You guys would whine that the site is too easy to use.

Give me a break.

DDMS>General>accessibility>Large text/hearing aids....

Offline Der Deutsche Jude

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA, CA, FAA, GA, NA, OA, WA

Offline David Smith

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2016, 09:46:47 AM »
https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/mobile-friendly/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fm.dansdeals.com%2F
The DDMS mobile site is awful, if you'll excuse me. I think the desktop works fine on mobile (looks and feels a lot better than the "mobile site").
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline sillypainter

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2016, 09:48:40 AM »
I would propose for you to make a contest where people will be able to submit their designs and they'll win something for it and you'll feature them on DDMS. You can also feature all of them and then all DD'ers will vote on the best design/theme.

Offline Der Deutsche Jude

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA, CA, FAA, GA, NA, OA, WA
« Reply #90 on: April 05, 2016, 09:50:13 AM »
The DDMS mobile site is awful, if you'll excuse me. I think the desktop works fine on mobile (looks and feels a lot better than the "mobile site").
Agreed, but that wasn't the point.

Offline yochiek93

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 05, 2016, 09:51:52 AM »
I would propose for you to make a contest where people will be able to submit their designs and they'll win something for it and you'll feature them on DDMS. You can also feature all of them and then all DD'ers will vote on the best design/theme.
Great idea

Offline @Yehuda

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 05, 2016, 10:05:47 AM »
This discussion comes up every few months. Not sure why you've never noticed it before, SG.

It doesn't take a genius to tell the site's design is old-fashioned, but of course, it's not easy to determine whether putting in tens of thousands of dollars will bring in more than that in new revenue. In terms of how to go about an overhaul, it will definitely be difficult to properly display a blog that has 2 main purposes - deals and travel - not that that's a reason to throw away the idea of a redesign. While I agree that deals don't need a picture of diapers, I think the pictures that the major travel bloggers include of their hotels/planes adds a huge aspect to the CC and travel posts - shows you what to aspire to. And regarding Dan's point above, I don't think the "chap" of the new site should be a better connection between DDMS and DDF. I know this has been debated before, but is DDF really such a good source of income? Sure, many deals have HTs to DDF, but how many DDMS readers really care for the forums? They don't want to get lost in the world of DDF; they just want the simple stuff handed to them on a silver platter. Not sure why more than just a link to DDF is necessary.

Offline SearchGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 103
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 05, 2016, 10:50:36 AM »
This discussion comes up every few months. Not sure why you've never noticed it before, SG.

Not really about DDMS, which IMO is much more important, since this is what brings the main profit

In terms of how to go about an overhaul, it will definitely be difficult to properly display a blog that has 2 main purposes - deals and travel - not that that's a reason to throw away the idea of a redesign.
While I agree that deals don't need a picture of diapers, I think the pictures that the major travel bloggers include of their hotels/planes adds a huge aspect to the CC and travel posts - shows you what to aspire to.
I don't know who is confused here... :P
And regarding Dan's point above, I don't think the "chap" of the new site should be a better connection between DDMS and DDF. I know this has been debated before, but is DDF really such a good source of income? Sure, many deals have HTs to DDF, but how many DDMS readers really care for the forums? They don't want to get lost in the world of DDF; they just want the simple stuff handed to them on a silver platter. Not sure why more than just a link to DDF is necessary.
You not have seen too many other places, it's not a conflict if both sections is under one roof.

PM if you want me to explain to you a bit more... :D

Offline shmoe joe

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 05, 2016, 10:52:29 AM »

It doesn't take a genius to tell the site's design is old-fashioned, but of course, it's not easy to determine whether putting in tens of thousands of dollars will bring in more than that in new revenue. In terms of how to go about an overhaul, it will definitely be difficult to properly display a blog that has 2 main purposes - deals and travel - not that that's a reason to throw away the idea of a redesign. While I agree that deals don't need a picture of diapers, I think the pictures that the major travel bloggers include of their hotels/planes adds a huge aspect to the CC and travel posts - shows you what to aspire to. And regarding Dan's point above, I don't think the "chap" of the new site should be a better connection between DDMS and DDF. I know this has been debated before, but is DDF really such a good source of income? Sure, many deals have HTs to DDF, but how many DDMS readers really care for the forums? They don't want to get lost in the world of DDF; they just want the simple stuff handed to them on a silver platter. Not sure why more than just a link to DDF is necessary.
well said have nothing to add, just that Dan has to be really thick skinned taking in all those shots fired at him, (as if he owes them something) and still answers back so nicely,
give some love (likes) to a brother!

Offline @Yehuda

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 05, 2016, 11:16:51 AM »
Huh?
-1's without explaining are worthless.
I'm not confused about pictures. Deals don't need pictures, while CC signups/hotel posts can benefit from pictures.

well said have nothing to add, just that Dan has to be really thick skinned taking in all those shots fired at him, (as if he owes them something) and still answers back so nicely,
I agree he's responded very honorably.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #96 on: April 05, 2016, 11:21:27 AM »
while CC signups/hotel posts can benefit from pictures.
Maybe I can steal away Emily to model them?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 05, 2016, 11:23:30 AM »
I agree there are posts that need pics. Hence: http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/53006
I just don't think it's something worthy of eating pixels and bandwidth most of the time.

Offline David Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 05, 2016, 11:25:31 AM »
Maybe I can steal away Emily to model them?
She's available.
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline David Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 05, 2016, 11:27:23 AM »
I agree there are posts that need pics. Hence: http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/53006
I just don't think it's something worthy of eating pixels and bandwidth most of the time.
I think there are some deals (with items that people might be less familiar with; or not recognize the model name/number) that could use pics too, but that's just me.
JTZ