Author Topic: How to use your pda's Wifi....  (Read 4080 times)

Offline mllymc

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
How to use your pda's Wifi....
« on: October 19, 2008, 11:17:59 AM »
Does anyone know if u can attach your pda that has wifi to your computer and use it as a wifi card?

Offline Mordy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
Re: How to use your pda's Wifi....
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 11:06:36 AM »
Yes, its possible. Since its not standard feature, it depends on how open the PDA operating system is. For example, on Windows Mobile, there are a few third party applications you can install to share whatever internet connection the device currently has through the USB port.

A more closed platform such as Palm OS or iPod-Touch would make such a feature more difficult, and I'm not sure if the OS would allow an application to control the hardware in such a way.
Mobile Enthusiast Extraordinaire

Visit one of the Tech Blogs I write: http://www.techcitement.com

Offline Yitzter

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 07:58:26 PM »
There is a program such as WMWifirouter which basically turns your PDA into a mobile hotspot so that your laptop can connect to it.
"There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things

Offline Mordy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 08:32:18 PM »
Yitzter, not exactly what I think the poster was looking for.

WMWiFiRouter (written by my WinMo development community buddy, Chainfire) is a Windows Mobile application used to broadcast the cellular internet connection on your phone-PDA (if you have a data plan) as a makeshift wireless hotspot, so you can use the wireless on your laptop, etc, to get online as if in a real hotspot.

I think mllymc is saying that his/her computer does not have WiFi, however she has a PDA that does. I think the object here is to somehow connect to a WiFi network using the PDA as an adaptor.
The problem is that mllymc has not mention what kind of PDA he/she has... Could be a WiFi enabled Palm OS TX for all we know.

mllymc, you'll need to supply more info.

Offline Yitzter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 03:07:17 AM »
Mordy, from what I understand, the OP wants to use a the wifi enabled PDA as a wifi card. Meaning, all he/she wants is to have wifi on the computer.

The OP should just pay 15$ for a Wifi USB or PC card. A lot less complicated then trying to use the PDA as a card.
"There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things

Offline mllymc

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 05:03:32 AM »
Yitzter, not exactly what I think the poster was looking for.

WMWiFiRouter (written by my WinMo development community buddy, Chainfire) is a Windows Mobile application used to broadcast the cellular internet connection on your phone-PDA (if you have a data plan) as a makeshift wireless hotspot, so you can use the wireless on your laptop, etc, to get online as if in a real hotspot.

I think mllymc is saying that his/her computer does not have WiFi, however she has a PDA that does. I think the object here is to somehow connect to a WiFi network using the PDA as an adaptor.
The problem is that mllymc has not mention what kind of PDA he/she has... Could be a WiFi enabled Palm OS TX for all we know.

mllymc, you'll need to supply more info.

iPaq 6940 running Windows Mobile 5

Offline mllymc

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 05:06:32 AM »
Mordy, from what I understand, the OP wants to use a the wifi enabled PDA as a wifi card. Meaning, all he/she wants is to have wifi on the computer.

The OP should just pay 15$ for a Wifi USB or PC card. A lot less complicated then trying to use the PDA as a card.
Thanx I appreciate ur suggestions..... I'm just wondering if this is possible.....like when i'm stuck w/o a wifi card

Offline Mordy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 10:18:22 AM »
Thanx I appreciate ur suggestions..... I'm just wondering if this is possible.....like when i'm stuck w/o a wifi card

Ah.
Yes, this is totally possible, and I'm fairly certain I've seen talk of an application for this on either XDA-developers.com or ppcgeeks.com, however the name escapes me at the moment.
The application routes any form of internet that the PDA has out to the USB port, whether its cellular, IR, Bluetooth dialup, WiFi, etc... So if the PDA is connected to a WiFi hotspot, the PC will grab it as well.
Still, a cheap dongle would be easier, however I always take "can a cell phone do that" as a personal challenge, so for the sake of a proof-of-concept, yes you can.

Offline mllymc

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 04:38:12 PM »
thanx Mordy

Offline Yitzter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 12:54:33 AM »

mllymc, There is a program called WMwifirouter,(I mentioned it earlier). It does exactly what you want, it does cost 20$ but there is a free 21 day trial, It is a pretty straight forward program without really needing to know much about computers.

Mordy, wmwifirouter has several functions, it can either provide Cellular connection over USB, Bluetooth etc. And it can also provide Wifi service through USB.

I am using it right now, as a test and its working perfectly fine. I disabled the wifi on my laptop, and used the program to function as wireless card(I have the HTC Mogul, running WM6.1)

Let me know if you have any issues, I can help walk you through the program if you need.

Link to website: http://global.wmwifirouter.com/trial/

Offline Mordy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 01:08:26 PM »
Ah, yes chainfire mentioned that he was adding support for stuff like that, even got a request to route the GPS data from the titan there too.
The version he gave me (I didn't buy it, he's a developer buddy of mine and gave me one of his pre-releases) didn't do that yet.

However, there IS a free program I saw somewhere that does it too. Can't recall the name. Well, can't go wrong with WMWFRouter

Offline Yitzter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 05:20:15 PM »
Mordy, I'd like my phone to be a portable Air Conditioner, think that'll happen? lol

If you do get a hold of the name for the free program, let us know.

Offline Mordy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 07:52:14 PM »
Well, not exactly since it has no moving parts, but you can use it as a hand warmer...
Run WmWifiRouter with cellular to WiFi with Bluetooth on while charging your battery for a half hour. Kills your battery in the long run, can heat a small area in the short run. :)