Author Topic: CS91's Graduation trip to Maui  (Read 13736 times)

Offline CS91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: CS91's Graduation trip to Maui
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2016, 05:32:34 PM »
Flights & Arrival at Hyatt Andaz Maui

Our flight out of EWR was at 8:05am so we drove to NJ the night before and slept at my in-laws so that we’d be close to the airport in the morning (and because we were leaving our car there for the week). Well, actually, only DW and my daughter slept; I was up all night finishing up my last paper. Anyways, we took an Uber to the airport early in the morning and checked in for our flight to HNL. I tried getting the agent to tag our bags all the way through to OGG but got a hard “NO” from her. After security, we went to the United Club Lounge to hang out until it was time to board. It was probably one of the worst lounges I’ve ever been in. Food selection was very limited even for people that don’t keep kosher. The only things that we were able to have there were bananas and orange juice. After about 35 minutes, we made our way over to the gate and boarded the flight. By the time we walked onto the plane, every other business class passenger was seated and I got some dirty looks from people as I made my way through the cabin, presumably because I was holding a baby. The flight attendants were very nice though and even came over to play with our daughter at several points during the flight. 

Thankfully we took off on time (which apparently isn’t always a given with UA15) and the pilot announced that we’d be landing about 45 minutes ahead of schedule which was good news for us since I had booked us a short connection on a separate itinerary. Our daughter fell asleep in her car seat during takeoff and a few minutes after reaching cruising altitude, DW and I put our seats all the way back (gotta love lie-flat J! still getting used to it :) ) and went to sleep. I woke up about four hours later at which point DW told me that our daughter had woken up about 15 minutes after we went to sleep but that she let me sleep since I was up the whole night writing my paper :).

At that point, we both requested to have our meals (breakfast). For some reason DW and I got different meals; I got an omelet and she got cheese blintzes, which she said were pretty good. After we finished breakfast I put my daughter’s seat all the way back and put her to sleep so that we could relax for a bit and watch a movie. Don’t remember what DW watched but I watched Concussion, which was great. After the movie I went back to sleep for another three hours and then we ate lunch, which consisted of a gefilte fish appetizer (obviously) and chicken with sides of potatoes and carrots for the main (it was actually pretty solid). By the time we finished lunch there was only about an hour and a half left in the flight so I switched seats with DW to sit next to my daughter and entertain her for a bit while DW relaxed/slept for the remainder of the flight.

Overall, had a nice flight and getting my daughter her own seat had to be one of the smartest decisions I’ve made. Besides for the fact that she slept for about two and a half hours, it was just nice to have the extra space and she actually played in her seat for a bit / watched some TV. She was a real champ; don’t think she cried once during the entire flight.

After landing in HNL, we rushed to baggage claim, got our bags (which came out pretty quickly) and took the shuttle to the Island Air terminal. The terminal was pretty empty so check-in went smoothly and before we knew it, we were at our gate with about 30-40 minutes to spare. About 15 minutes before our flight they started to board (no delay!). It was actually raining a bit when we were boarding so the gate agents gave each of us umbrellas to use on our walk to the plane, which I thought was a nice touch. Although the flight was pretty empty, they didn’t let us bring the car seat on board to put our daughter in because we hadn’t purchased a seat for her. I guess that’s what happens with low budget airlines, but it wasn’t a big deal at all because the whole flight was only about 30 minutes long.

It was a bit cloudy so we weren’t treated to some of the great views, but I still managed to get one decent picture.

After landing and collecting our bags, we took the Hertz shuttle to Hertz and found out that I was automatically upgraded and assigned a Chrysler 300 (I booked a full-size). Although my inner car enthusiast kept telling me to book/upgrade to a convertible, there was no way that we’d be able to fit all of our luggage in it and besides, driving around with the roof down and having the sun beat down on our daughter for extended periods of time probably wouldn’t have been a smart idea either. So we packed into our Chrysler 300 and headed over to Target to pick up snacks, food for lunch everyday and random other stuff that we needed (I’m Diamond with Hyatt so breakfast was free at the hotel and we brought along frozen meals from Noah’s Ark for dinner).

After getting everything we needed at Target, we drove to the Andaz and upon pulling up to the hotel and getting out of the car we were all given leis to welcome us. We then headed to the lobby to check in. The lobby is a beautiful, partially outdoor space. Instead of having to check in at the counter, a Hyatt representative took us to one of the couches, brought us some cold water and checked us in while taking in the beautiful view of the hotel pool and beach.

The famous entrance walkway:

Lobby:

View from the lobby:

The hotel was pretty full so the only upgrade option that they had for us was a partial mountain partial ocean view room, but with two beds instead of one. We took it because we wanted the nicer view. Though they would have given us an ocean front view room if it were available, were actually happy that it wasn’t because the view from our room was beautiful. We were able to see the ocean perfectly and being able to see the mountains in the background was a really nice plus. Other than the view, the room was pretty nice, though a bit small to be honest. I don’t really have good pictures of the room but here is what I have:

View:

View at sunset:

We requested a crib for our daughter and it showed up with this inside, which we thought was a nice, thoughtful touch:

Once we settled in and put our daughter to sleep, we heated up our meals in the toaster oven that we ordered from Amazon and had delivered straight to the hotel. While dinner was heating up, I went down to the concierge to pick up the tickets for our helicopter tour the next morning. Turns out, when I said a few weeks ago that booking through the hotel was cheaper, I was misinformed. When I called Blue Hawaiian directly, they quoted me ~$271 per person all in, and when I called up the Andaz, I told them that if they could beat that, I’d book through them. The rep at the concierge told me that their rate was $241, so I went ahead and booked through them. When I went to pick up my tickets, it showed that the price was $241 PLUS tax, which ended up being about $80 more than Blue Hawaiian. They were very gracious about it though and had no problem cancelling the reservation and calling Blue Hawaiian to get them to honor the original price quote.

Once that was all cleared up, I went back up to our room, we ate dinner, and called it a day after a long day of travelling. Our Noah’s Ark meals for that night were Schnitzel and Cajun chicken, which were both decent and the main portions were very generous. The sides (mashed potatoes and couscous) were pretty bad though and made us wish we had POM sides.

To be continued...

Offline Dawie

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2016, 06:29:16 PM »
How'd they get the LH duck? ;)

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2016, 06:30:10 PM »
How'd they get the LH duck? ;)
Haha, I think they were subtly rubbing it in that I don't have an LD duck.

Offline benjie1305

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2016, 09:03:46 PM »
Haha, I think they were subtly rubbing it in that I don't have an LD duck.

Found 2 ducks in the crib while in the Ritz ;)
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2016, 10:09:56 PM »
Found 2 ducks in the crib while in the Ritz ;)
We'd know if you wrote a TR .

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2016, 12:03:59 AM »
Thursday

Just like everyone on their first morning in Hawaii, we woke up super early due to jetlag. We had to be up early anyways though, as check in at the heliport was at 8:00am. After waking up and packing up for the day, we went down to the dining room for some breakfast. It’s moments like those that keeping Kosher is a bit of a slap in the face ;D. The food at the buffet looked and smelled incredible, but we had to stick to fruit, cereal and freshly squeezed juice. It was good though, and can’t complain about free breakfast.

Outdoor seating area of dining room overlooking pool:

After breakfast we got into the car and made the 25-minute drive to the heliport. We checked in (our tour was of West Maui and Molokai), were shown a brief security video, our daughter was given baby headphones and before we knew it, we were ready to take off! Although I originally requested for us to be seated in the front, when we got there we were told that you couldn’t sit in the front with a lap infant so we were seated in the back. It was still spacious and the views were still spectacular. The side windows were pretty big (we were on the EcoStar) and our pilot made sure to make a 360-degree turn whenever we were in a particularly beautiful area so that everyone got a chance to see the view directly. He was also super friendly and was constantly making conversation with us and told us about what we were flying over. I’ll stop blabbing though and instead of describing what we saw (which wouldn’t do it justice), here are some pictures:

Blue Hawaiian's Building:

EcoStar:

Bunch of pictures from up in the air (don't remember where exactly each picture was taken):

Although it was pricey, I’m extremely happy that I bit the bullet and spent on the helicopter tour. It was really an incredible experience and I strongly recommend it as an activity when you visit Maui. Having experienced it, I think it would have been a HUGE mistake to skip it. And for anyone that is going to Hawaii with a baby and is concerned about how their kid is going to behave on the helicopter, just like Blue Hawaiian told me would happen, my daughter fell asleep within a few minutes of takeoff and woke up when we landed.

After finishing up our helicopter tour, we drove to Iao Valley to walk through the Iao Valley State Park (I guess you can call it a small/easy hike?). It’s only about a 20-minute hike and had some really nice views of the valley and the Iao Needle. Depending on the path that you take to get to the top of the hike, you pass a really nice stream that some people went into (we didn’t).

Iao Needle:

Valley:

Stream (don't have a better picture):

Once we were done with Iao Valley, after taking a short break in the car to eat lunch, we started our drive towards the Nakalele Blowhole. Though apparently (according to the concierge at the Andaz) some people drive through West Maui to get there and then once there, turn back and drive through West Maui to get back (skipping out the one-lane drive along the northern tip of the island) because it’s “faster,” we took the one-lane highway route because there was no rush and more importantly, it would be a crime to miss out on those views. If I remember correctly, the drive from Iao Valley to the blowhole took a bit over an hour, though we stopped several times to get out of the car and take pictures. It’s definitely not the simplest drive, and with all the sharp turns you need to take it slow, but most of the people driving there are super patient and considerate so it’s nothing to be scared of. You just have to watch out for the locals who zip around the bends in their big pickup trucks.

Some of the views during the drive to the blowhole:

At one stop, after taking a few pictures and turning back to go to my car, this seemed like a scene right out of Breaking Bad (Heisenberg's car, though different color ;D):

After a beautiful drive, we eventually got to the blowhole. As many others have written, it’s a bit of a trek down to the blowhole so we watched it from the top for a bit and then I went down myself to get some more pictures because the trip down didn’t look like a smart thing to do with a baby. I don’t know what the highest it ever goes is, but it was spraying pretty strong when we were there so it was definitely cool to see. The views of the cost from down near the blowhole are also really nice.

The famous warning:

NOT the waterpark:

After getting some nice pictures we got back in the car and continued driving along the coast. About 10 minutes past the blowhole (I think), there was a guy selling pineapple and coconuts on the side of the road so we stopped and got one coconut and one pineapple for a total of $20. Rip off, I know, but it was fun so we just did it. YOLO, right?

They gotta make the cupholders in the Chrysler 300 bigger:

We thought about doing a small hike somewhere along the way but the concierge told us that most of them in that area would be too difficult to do while carrying a baby in a baby carrier. Either way, our daughter fell asleep shortly after we left the blowhole and we didn’t want to wake her up so we just drove back along the western coast to the hotel. In total, we basically drive the entire western portion of the island.

On the way back up to our room, I stopped by the concierge to pick up a GoPro from them to use when I went scuba diving the next morning. It’s free for any guest and is officially one of their listed benefits of the resort fee (which you don’t pay for when on a points booking). I haven’t really seen anyone make any mention of it anywhere but I personally thought it was a great feature and I wish more hotels offered it. I love using a GoPro while scuba diving or snorkeling but I’m not really ready to bite the bullet and buy one so it was nice to be able to borrow one from the hotel at no charge.

Once we got back up to our room, we popped dinner in the toaster oven. For this trip, instead of buying dairy meals too, DW made them and froze them a few days before our trip. For Thursday night we had fettuccini alfredo and baked ziti and both were great! I think we’re going to do this for future trips too as it was obviously a much cheaper option and it didn’t take DW that long to do.

While dinner was heating up, I went down to the gym for a bit. The gym at the Andaz is really nice. It has everything that you may need along with a fridge of cold towels.

After dinner, we were pretty exhausted from a fun-filled first day in Maui and my scuba trip was set to leave the dock at 7am so we called it a night.

Offline Buruch

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2016, 12:13:58 AM »
The price for the helicopter through hyatt was 240 plus 110 tax = 350?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 12:23:33 AM by Buruch »

Offline Buruch

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2016, 12:24:30 AM »
I HAVE to get to Molokai ASAP - looks incredible! It's been near the top of my bucket list for too long.

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2016, 12:39:10 AM »
The price for the helicopter through hyatt was 240 plus 110 tax = 350?
$241 + tax ($68) per person. Total for two people would have been ~$618 compared to ~$540 directly through Blue Hawaiian.

I HAVE to get to Molokai ASAP - looks incredible! It's been near the top of my bucket list for too long.
It was amazing! Shoutout to SF for suggesting that tour!

Offline Buruch

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2016, 12:49:04 AM »
Have you done the Kauai helicopter ride? How did it compare?

Offline tzifanya54

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2016, 12:51:55 AM »
JC why did you go with Noah's Ark over Pom meals? Are they cheaper?

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2016, 12:57:47 AM »
Have you done the Kauai helicopter ride? How did it compare?
Never been to Kauai. This was our first time in Hawaii.

JC why did you go with Noah's Ark over Pom meals? Are they cheaper?
POM changed over their kitchen for Pesach and couldn't do the meals for us because we left a few days after Pesach. Prices were pretty similar.

Offline tzifanya54

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2016, 01:35:18 AM »
POM changed over their kitchen for Pesach and couldn't do the meals for us because we left a few days after Pesach. Prices were pretty similar.
Oh I see. Great report so far.

Offline benjie1305

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2016, 07:21:29 AM »

We'd know if you wrote a TR .

I ain't writing a TR about a hotel I staid in for a few nights but also found it cute and nice of them.

Looks like you had a blast. Get a babysitter at all while there so you could do something at night or not?
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline Hjay

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2016, 07:32:54 AM »
"It’s free for any guest and is officially one of their listed benefits of the resort fee (which you don’t pay for when on a points booking)."

Only Hyatt? I've been charged by marriot recently wanna make sure that wasn't a mistake

Offline @Yehuda

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2016, 08:53:10 AM »
Nice report so far! Hawaii is so wonderful. Great amount of descriptions + pics.

"It’s free for any guest and is officially one of their listed benefits of the resort fee (which you don’t pay for when on a points booking)."

Only Hyatt? I've been charged by marriot recently wanna make sure that wasn't a mistake
It's a Hyatt thing.

Offline dealfinder85

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2016, 09:06:34 AM »
when someone gets sucked into the blowhole, where does that go? somewhere in the ocean?

Offline Luvtotravel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2016, 10:00:06 AM »
great stuff! did the baby get a seat in the helicopter? i assume you werent charged for her.
Don't wait for the perfect moment; take the moment and make it perfect.

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2016, 10:08:59 AM »
Oh I see. Great report so far.
Thanks!
I ain't writing a TR about a hotel I staid in for a few nights but also found it cute and nice of them.

Looks like you had a blast. Get a babysitter at all while there so you could do something at night or not?
Was just messing. Hence the 😜. We had a great time. Now we understand why everyone loves Hawaii!
No babysitter. Not crazy about the idea of leaving my kid with someone I don't know at all.
great stuff! did the baby get a seat in the helicopter? i assume you werent charged for her.
Thanks! Nope, no seat. And no charge.

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2016, 10:09:52 AM »
when someone gets sucked into the blowhole, where does that go? somewhere in the ocean?
Presumably. Though as the sign says, doubt it's a peaceful ride.