Author Topic: How to pay cc charges made for others  (Read 3123 times)

Offline Hjay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
How to pay cc charges made for others
« on: May 11, 2016, 11:14:09 PM »
I recently came across this post on ddms http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/35174
 I've been putting charges on my cc for family & paying it with cash in bank or depositing checks to my bank acct (not a chase acct) & paying from there. Depositing checks in my bank acct is prob the wrong thing to do because the irs might not be too happy. Paying cash or with checks from family in bank seems like a bad idea from that ddms article so I'd like to hear what the esteemed members of this forum can suggest otherwise.

I'm not dealing with large numbers but its adding up & I don't want to run into any problems
Would it be any better if these checks are coming from family with the same last name & addresses affiliated with the acct (both for depositing in my bank acct or paying the bill with those checks)
TIA

Offline Eliyohu

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: How to pay cc charges made for others
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 11:27:44 PM »
I recently came across this post on ddms http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/35174
 I've been putting charges on my cc for family & paying it with cash in bank or depositing checks to my bank acct (not a chase acct) & paying from there. Depositing checks in my bank acct is prob the wrong thing to do because the irs might not be too happy. Paying cash or with checks from family in bank seems like a bad idea from that ddms article so I'd like to hear what the esteemed members of this forum can suggest otherwise.

I'm not dealing with large numbers but its adding up & I don't want to run into any problems
Would it be any better if these checks are coming from family with the same last name & addresses affiliated with the acct (both for depositing in my bank acct or paying the bill with those checks)
TIA
For cash you can load it in to bluebird and pay your cc from there

Offline LoLo

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 12:28:28 AM »
Just write in memo field on the check what charge it's for, so that you prove it in case of an audit.

Offline Hjay

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 01:49:20 PM »
For cash you can load it in to bluebird and pay your cc from there
Why would the bank like that better than paying cash straight? & using bluebird would also work for checks no?

Just write in memo field on the check what charge it's for, so that you prove it in case of an audit.
I'm looking for ways to avoid an audit & if I does come to that why wouldn't showing them my cc statements accomplish the same?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 01:54:19 PM by Hjay »

Offline emjee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 09:05:25 PM »
I'm looking for ways to avoid an audit & if I does come to that why wouldn't showing them my cc statements accomplish the same?

Why would it. If I was the IRS and you claimed to me that I'd say your full of it. The charge your card was for yourself and u used you're own money that earned to pay it off...give more of reason to be believed. I actually like the whole "memo on check what the deposit is for". That's pretty good

Offline Eliyohu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 12:08:45 AM »
Excuse my ignorance but in an audit the irs will check your cc statements? I always thought just your bank statements/transactions,  and was always told (by well meaning ppl) when cashing a check either bring it to the  issuer bank or your own bank and cash it against your accnt so it won't show up as money was ever in ur  accnt .

Offline ari2955

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 12:19:13 AM »
Excuse my ignorance but in an audit the irs will check your cc statements? I always thought just your bank statements/transactions,  and was always told (by well meaning ppl) when cashing a check either bring it to the  issuer bank or your own bank and cash it against your accnt so it won't show up as money was ever in ur  accnt .

When i did this at Chase, they made me first swipe my debit card. The transaction didn't show on my account, but is it not being recorded anywhere?
And do other banks also request you swipe your debit card?

Offline Eliyohu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 12:26:49 AM »

When i did this at Chase, they made me first swipe my debit card. The transaction didn't show on my account, but is it not being recorded anywhere?
And do other banks also request you swipe your debit card?

From what i understand, no (though i dont know exactly how it works)
As for chase, they've asked me to swipe for things like changing up the bills i got from their atm... i personnaly think its thier way of saying "chase customers only". Other banks such wells fargo or m&t, when cashing a check from that bank my experience has been they only asked for  my id
Please correct me if im wrong

Offline Hjay

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 07:11:47 AM »
Everything said in this statement is true when I said I can show the irs my cc statement I meant if I'm being audited & they ask me what those checks were I can show them my cc statement & tell them it was for those charges accomplishing the same as writing on the memo line on the check but it could be that actually having it written in the memo line is better as "emjee" explained

Offline Hjay

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 07:22:04 AM »
Anybody know the best way to go about this I have a decent amount of charges from this month that need to be payed off

Offline emjee

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2016, 07:46:15 AM »
Anybody know the best way to go about this I have a decent amount of charges from this month that need to be payed off
Explain your situation a little more. There are different options.
 1 is the one that we've talked about. If the charges are from others you can also pay off your card straight from their account- IME it is NOT a red flag .

A check can also be sent into cc company to pay off that account.

There's also the balance transfer option.

Offline Hjay

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2016, 09:54:58 AM »
Explain your situation a little more. There are different options.
 1 is the one that we've talked about. If the charges are from others you can also pay off your card straight from their account- IME it is NOT a red flag .

A check can also be sent into cc company to pay off that account.

There's also the balance transfer option.

Simple case that will answer both of my questions $3,000 of charges I have $1,000 cash & $2,000 check (from my mil made out to me) what's the cleanest way to pay this bill?

Things to keep in mind-- I'm dealing with chase cc's I don't bank with them
My wife's au cards from my acct are in her maiden name however haven't added her yet to these cards that I'm asking about now but tell me if you think that would be better because the checks are coming from her mom

Offline Ephraimh

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2016, 10:10:09 AM »
Simple case that will answer both of my questions $3,000 of charges I have $1,000 cash & $2,000 check (from my mil made out to me) what's the cleanest way to pay this bill?

Things to keep in mind-- I'm dealing with chase cc's I don't bank with them
My wife's au cards from my acct are in her maiden name however haven't added her yet to these cards that I'm asking about now but tell me if you think that would be better because the checks are coming from her mom
Why not just add your mils bank and routing info to your online profile and pay directly out of there?

Offline emjee

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2016, 10:31:23 AM »
Why not just add your mils bank and routing info to your online profile and pay directly out of there?
+1 go that route

Offline Hjay

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2016, 04:30:15 PM »
Was looking online now couldn't figure it out right away but I'll find it. If she doesn't want would adding her as an au accomplish the same?

Also my question about cash remains unanswered & in the future if I'm doing charges for others & can't add them as au or add their bank info what's my best option?

Offline Ephraimh

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2016, 05:21:40 PM »
Was looking online now couldn't figure it out right away but I'll find it.
Pay credit card > Pay from accounts > Add pay from account

Offline LoLo

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2016, 05:39:23 PM »
Was looking online now couldn't figure it out right away but I'll find it. If she doesn't want would adding her as an au accomplish the same?

Also my question about cash remains unanswered & in the future if I'm doing charges for others & can't add them as au or add their bank info what's my best option?