Author Topic: {Spoiler Alert} Harry Potter And The Cursed Child In London  (Read 15663 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Harry Potter And The Cursed Child In London
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2016, 04:11:52 PM »
Next week, Hermione is gonna be a male.

Just because there are a hundred episodes of her going out with a boy, going into the girls bathroom, and generally being described as a female doesn't mean nuttin', you discriminatory pigs!
Nah, Hermione is clearly a dragon. Nowhere did it say anything to contradict that.
http://www.vice.com/en_au/read/what-does-it-mean-to-be-trans-species
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline stbaum

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2016, 04:25:28 PM »
Hermoine does have crazy kinky hair to help support the "Hermione is black" trend

just adding kindle to the fire  ;D
My greatest achievement? I am fluent in FRIENDS quotes

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2016, 04:26:14 PM »
Hermoine does have crazy kinky hair to help support the "Hermione is black" trend

That was in the original tweet from JKR that sparked the whole commotion.

Offline David Smith

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2016, 04:27:55 PM »

You racist! Calling black hair kinky!!!
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline cholent

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2016, 04:41:23 PM »
I read it differently. "Can be" black is different than "is" black. She's just saying that this interpretation is not completely ruled out by the canon. I don't read either of her posts as meaning Hermione was originally written as a black girl.
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers

Offline Aaaron

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2016, 04:42:42 PM »
That political correctness trumps intelligence and common sense. These are the same people that would faster molest a grandma in the airport than a 25 year old male Arab.

Huh?  How does PC have anything to do with taking artistic liberties and possibly not sticking to an exact canonical interpretation?  Maybe you can claim that we're too into being inclusive, but it's her story (even if she claims it's everyone's), and if it doesn't bother her, I'm not sure why people are making a big hoopla about it. 

Offline jshelton

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2016, 10:33:12 AM »
so did anyone actually buy tickets or is anyone here going to see the play? (or did anyone buy tickets for resale)

Offline stbaum

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2016, 10:34:09 AM »
so did anyone actually buy tickets or is anyone here going to see the play? (or did anyone buy tickets for resale)

i wouldn't even if i was in London or if it was here on Broadway. i am VERY excited about Fantastic Beasts though!!!

Offline cholent

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2016, 10:47:55 AM »
i wouldn't even if i was in London or if it was here on Broadway. i am VERY excited about Fantastic Beasts though!!!

Why not?

Offline sguitarist18

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 08, 2016, 10:53:28 AM »
That political correctness trumps intelligence and common sense.

That. And also trumps reality.

Offline stbaum

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2016, 10:57:01 AM »
Why not?

i don't really like live theatre

Offline sguitarist18

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2016, 10:57:46 AM »
Huh?  How does PC have anything to do with taking artistic liberties and possibly not sticking to an exact canonical interpretation?  Maybe you can claim that we're too into being inclusive, but it's her story (even if she claims it's everyone's), and if it doesn't bother her, I'm not sure why people are making a big hoopla about it.

No one has any problem with her taking artistic liberties. The problem is that that she says she's not doing that.

I read it differently. "Can be" black is different than "is" black. She's just saying that this interpretation is not completely ruled out by the canon. I don't read either of her posts as meaning Hermione was originally written as a black girl.

That is kind of the issue - a normal reading of canon would seem to say that Hermione is white. Again, for those who say (including JK Rowling) that it's just an expression, please show me a good author who uses the expression to refer to a black person being scared, simply as a turn of phrase.

Offline cholent

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 08, 2016, 11:01:55 AM »
No one has any problem with her taking artistic liberties. The problem is that that she says she's not doing that.

That is kind of the issue - a normal reading of canon would seem to say that Hermione is white. Again, for those who say (including JK Rowling) that it's just an expression, please show me a good author who uses the expression to refer to a black person being scared, simply as a turn of phrase.
I think people are getting way too worked up about this. What's the big deal if Hermione is black? Yes, those two quotes about the white face and looking very brown make canonical support for black Hermione a bit tortured, but frankly using those two to say that black Hermione is definitively ruled out by canon is also overdoing it. JKR hasn't said in any of her statements that Hermione was always black, which would be ridiculous. She's just saying that there is some wiggle room to interpret that way while technically remaining within canon. Fans wondered what her opinion was and so she provided it!

Offline Aaaron

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 08, 2016, 11:05:34 AM »
Which is exactly what taking artistic liberties implies.

Offline Ydad

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2016, 11:06:14 AM »
I think people are getting way too worked up about this. What's the big deal if Hermione is black? Yes, those two quotes about the white face and looking very brown make canonical support for black Hermione a bit tortured, but frankly using those two to say that black Hermione is definitively ruled out by canon is also overdoing it. JKR hasn't said in any of her statements that Hermione was always black, which would be ridiculous. She's just saying that there is some wiggle room to interpret that way while technically remaining within canon. Fans wondered what her opinion was and so she provided it!
You are surprised people suspect her agenda?

Offline Aaaron

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 08, 2016, 11:16:25 AM »
You are surprised people suspect her agenda?

Agenda?  First it's political correctness and now she has an agenda?  What may that be?

Offline David Smith

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 08, 2016, 12:13:33 PM »

Agenda?  First it's political correctness and now she has an agenda?  What may that be?

Nobody could really care less if she is or isn't black. The fact is that the book was originally written with her as a white girl. The fact that Rowling feels a pressure to portray her as a black, against the original reality, is what is bothering people.

This is the same pressure that people feel to ignore black on black crime, in fear of looking racist, or the fear people have of pulling over a Muslim in the airport, as not to look like a profiler. People just want to forget what color they are.

Whether a black person shoots a black person or a white person shoots a black person, a person shot a person. Why do black lives only matter if it was taken by a white? Lives matter, period. College acceptance should be based on most eligible, regardless of ethnicity, religion, color, and gender. 

Affirmative action, otherwise known as reverse racism, is what is bothering people for the same reason that racism should. The dream equality is being quashed by this, as is basic safety. People just want to ignore people's color and judge then based on the person they actually are, but these activists aren't letting that happen.

People are still being discriminated based on their color. If Hermione is white, let her stay white. Why is that a crime? This is what's bothering people.
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline Aaaron

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 08, 2016, 02:23:24 PM »
Nobody could really care less if she is or isn't black. The fact is that the book was originally written with her as a white girl. The fact that Rowling feels a pressure to portray her as a black, against the original reality, is what is bothering people.

This is the same pressure that people feel to ignore black on black crime, in fear of looking racist, or the fear people have of pulling over a Muslim in the airport, as not to look like a profiler. People just want to forget what color they are.

Whether a black person shoots a black person or a white person shoots a black person, a person shot a person. Why do black lives only matter if it was taken by a white? Lives matter, period. College acceptance should be based on most eligible, regardless of ethnicity, religion, color, and gender. 

Affirmative action, otherwise known as reverse racism, is what is bothering people for the same reason that racism should. The dream equality is being quashed by this, as is basic safety. People just want to ignore people's color and judge then based on the person they actually are, but these activists aren't letting that happen.

People are still being discriminated based on their color. If Hermione is white, let her stay white. Why is that a crime? This is what's bothering people.

Nobody is being discriminated against.  They sought an actor to play a part, and they cast one - who by all accounts - is phenomenal.  If JK had a problem, I'm certain they would have made other arrangements, but she didn't.  And where has there been any mention of her being "pressured?"

If reverse racism is prevalent, this is a poor metaphorical example to stand on to protest it. 

I personally feel that the people who are bothered by the choice have a deeper issue to resolve. 

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #78 on: June 08, 2016, 02:27:43 PM »
I disagree. Had JK come out and said I'm shaking things up a bit or taking artistic license I wouldn't have any issue.
The books clearly depict her as white unless you take a very tortured read of them and the movies only back that up. That she won't admit that is what's ruffling feathers.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Aaaron

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 08, 2016, 02:36:31 PM »
I disagree.  Even if she would have said that people would still be pissed.