Author Topic: How to Track Gift Card Resale  (Read 1276 times)

Offline dpk4588

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
How to Track Gift Card Resale
« on: June 01, 2016, 03:36:56 PM »
I've recently gotten into the gift card resale game and I'm trying to figure out how to best track it.

It gets a little tricky because I sometimes buy these gift cards with eBay gift cards that I've purchased at a discount. While I would generally treat them as cash, technically they are inventory so I don't think I can use a program like Quickbooks because I don't think you can purchase inventory with other inventory.

I want to track my cost, rebates (be they Amex offers, cash back, & or eBay Bucks), sales price, buyer, and total profit (preferably by item).

Any ideas on the best way to do it would be greatly appreciated.

TIA.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
-Albert Einstein

Offline lubaby

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: How to Track Gift Card Resale
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 03:48:55 PM »
Are you tracking each gift card on a 1 by 1 basis?

Anyways, use Excel. It can be custom designed to calculate anything for you. It's only limitations are your mind (or Google searching prowess).

Offline dpk4588

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 03:55:09 PM »
Are you tracking each gift card on a 1 by 1 basis?

Anyways, use Excel. It can be custom designed to calculate anything for you. It's only limitations are your mind (or Google searching prowess).

I track it by order so if I order 5 Staples GCs I'd have one order and a quantity of 5 in the order.

I figured excel would be best, but I'm just not sure of the logistics of how exactly I should set it up.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
-Albert Einstein

Offline lubaby

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 03:57:55 PM »
I track it by order so if I order 5 Staples GCs I'd have one order and a quantity of 5 in the order.

I figured excel would be best, but I'm just not sure of the logistics of how exactly I should set it up.
That's for buying.

Selling would still need to be on a 1 by 1, no?. Either way, it makes no difference. It's Excel.

It'll just have to be set up differently (and more complex).

Offline dpk4588

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 03:58:48 PM »
That's for buying.

Selling would still need to be on a 1 by 1, no?. Either way, it makes no difference. It's Excel.

It'll just have to be set up differently (and more complex).
It would go for sales too. If I buy 5 at once I'm selling 5 at once.
-Albert Einstein

Offline dpk4588

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 05:32:30 PM »
I guess what I'm most unclear on is what cost to pick up on inventory that I bought with discounted eBay GCs.

Example:
I bought an $100 eBay GC from Staples and got back $25 from the Amex offer, so my eBay GC has a cost of $75. I then buy a $50 Cabela's GC for $40 (in eBay GCs).

At first glance it would seem that you take 75% of the $40 since thats the discount I got the eBay GC at. But I don't get all my eBay GCs at the same discount. Sometimes I save 25% sometimes I only save 5%.

So how do I determine my cost if the discount at which I get the eBay GCs varies? Do I take my total cost of all my eBay GCs versus the total value? If so that means that the cost will change for items I've already sold as time goes on and I buy more eBay GCs at different discounts. Is that the best way to do it or is there another way that I'm missing?
-Albert Einstein