Author Topic: Is this even legal? United denying lounge access with one time use  (Read 14490 times)

Offline mmgfarb

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Is this even legal? United denying lounge access with one time use
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2018, 12:46:02 AM »
I'm not really sure what the difference is between paying for a lounge membership and entering into a financial contract with United and Chase which includes access to a lounge twice a year. They're both business transactions between you and and a company, neither is more valid than the other regardless of which one may or may not make more money for one of the companies. (This is putting aside the fact that UA probably generates many times more revenue from its partnership with chase than from people who pay for lounge access.)
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline Yehuda25

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
Re: Is this even legal? United denying lounge access with one time use
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2018, 01:09:01 AM »
I'm not really sure what the difference is between paying for a lounge membership and entering into a financial contract with United and Chase which includes access to a lounge twice a year. They're both business transactions between you and and a company, neither is more valid than the other regardless of which one may or may not make more money for one of the companies. (This is putting aside the fact that UA probably generates many times more revenue from its partnership with chase than from people who pay for lounge access.)
well said.
“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”

― Aristotle

Offline Yammer

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2018, 03:08:09 AM »
You paid the "space available" price, I paid full price. You get space available service, I get full service. That's how the world works my friend. You don't get to pay a fraction of what I do and expect the same service, especially when your low revenue behind is driving me to stop paying my higher revenue annual fee. Again, that's business, don't like it go elsewhere. Please, for the love of Pete go elsewhere!
How much does Chase pay to United for those miles?
@sig while I understand your frustration when the lounge is packed ( the other week I was at the the Aspire lounge in LHR with my PP and there was no place to sit!) You wrong on the CC issue. Airlines are making their $$ from Miles...see below

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-03-31/airlines-make-more-money-selling-miles-than-seats

Offline rileywiles23

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2018, 09:57:48 AM »
For the record, IME at least in EWR if you ask nicely, they'll accept the one time pass
Life is as good as you make it...

Offline shapsam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2018, 09:58:35 AM »
For the record, IME at least in EWR if you ask nicely, they'll accept the one time pass
Not now with the renovations.

Offline Yehuda25

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2018, 11:35:22 AM »
“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”

― Aristotle

Offline rileywiles23

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2018, 03:39:04 PM »
Not now with the renovations.
But i just did it this week........
Life is as good as you make it...

Offline Definitions

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2018, 06:59:54 PM »

Your logic is sound and I don't have a good answer to it. But I feel like someone who paid specifically for lounge access should have kedima. No? Why can't United tell the customer to go complain to chase?

And if they do make more money from selling miles then at the end of the day why did they close the lounge to one time passes?
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2018, 07:07:19 PM »
The bottom line is that the terms negotiated with Chase allow them to do this.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline badaboom27

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2018, 12:18:21 PM »
You paid the "space available" price, I paid full price. You get space available service, I get full service. That's how the world works my friend. You don't get to pay a fraction of what I do and expect the same service, especially when your low revenue behind is driving me to stop paying my higher revenue annual fee. Again, that's business, don't like it go elsewhere. Please, for the love of Pete go elsewhere!

Your reasoning doesn't hold water for the simple fact that the airlines are one of the few industries where in fact people who spend less quite often get better treatment.. it's their business model.  Last minute one-way ticket EWR-TPA @ $600 with a middle seat, back row in coach while someone who paid $200/rt sits up front with an aisle seat. 

Furthermore, I get the revenue argument but let's face it, 90% of the travelers who spend on the club (and the reason last minute flights are so expensive), are business travelers spending someone else's money.  For many people with the Chase card, they got it for the perk (when they have MANY other options) and when they plan to use it on a family trip but cannot because some folks who literally don't spend any of their own money on travel.. sit in their entitled chairs while complaining about their jobs while overweight and unhappy in life - complaining that they deserve to sit down and speed up their heart disease progression because they 'paid' for that right with someone else's money.  *Not everyone of course but Sig upset me and I know exactly the type.

Offline Sig

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2018, 03:03:07 PM »
Your reasoning doesn't hold water for the simple fact that the airlines are one of the few industries where in fact people who spend less quite often get better treatment.. it's their business model.  Last minute one-way ticket EWR-TPA @ $600 with a middle seat, back row in coach while someone who paid $200/rt sits up front with an aisle seat. 

Furthermore, I get the revenue argument but let's face it, 90% of the travelers who spend on the club (and the reason last minute flights are so expensive), are business travelers spending someone else's money.  For many people with the Chase card, they got it for the perk (when they have MANY other options) and when they plan to use it on a family trip but cannot because some folks who literally don't spend any of their own money on travel.. sit in their entitled chairs while complaining about their jobs while overweight and unhappy in life - complaining that they deserve to sit down and speed up their heart disease progression because they 'paid' for that right with someone else's money.  *Not everyone of course but Sig upset me and I know exactly the type.
Well I own my business which I very much enjoy and can still run a good number of miles with 7:30 splits so my 45 year old heart's doing well, thanks for your concern. Why that's relevant to anything I'm not sure? It's a business decision, I pay for myself and my employees to use a club because it allows us to get work done while traveling and arrive better rested for whatever we're traveling for, which allows us to be more effective and have more down time with our families when we get home. United recognizes that people like me stop paying for that when we stop seeing the benefits for ourselves and our employees, which is the case when it's too crowded to get a seat. And we potentially stop flying United since competitive airline's lounges don't suffer from this issue and it's impractical to switch terminals at ORD just for a lounge, for example. And our revenue loss far outweighs the what they lose by the few disgruntled folks like you who are disappointed when they can't get into an already full lounge during their one trip a year using a voucher that generated next to no revenue for United potentially on a ticket that also generates very little revenue compared to business travel.

This isn't about some kind of entitlement that you think you're owed because you're a good family man unlike those "overweight and unhappy" people who "paid with someone else's money". It's a business decision, if you don't like it than please, please take your business elsewhere! If you want to get into a moral argument, then lets talk about stereotyping me or anyone else as some kind of "type" that you know; overweight, unhappy, spending other peoples money good for nothings. Especially ridiculous since in this case it's not even accurate, but an a-hole move in general! Definitely something to be proud of there buddy.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 03:55:56 PM by Sig »

Offline LoLo

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2018, 04:13:54 PM »
How many lounge visits per year do you do on your club membership?

Also, united sells these one-time passes for $50 iirc, and they get the same treatment as the chase passes, i'd bet that $50 is more than your average cost per visit.

And part of my 'Business desicion' to keep my united card open and pay the AF is because of the lounge passes, they're not free.

Offline nafnaf12

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2018, 06:21:30 PM »

Also, united sells these one-time passes for $50 iirc, and they get the same treatment as the chase passes, i'd bet that $50 is more than your average cost per visit.

And part of my 'Business desicion' to keep my united card open and pay the AF is because of the lounge passes, they're not free.
United club gets unlimited access.

You don't have to pay $50 for a pass, you can buy them right here on the forums for $10/20

Paying $95 for 2 visits is not worth it, unless you also use the expanded availability.

A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

Offline LoLo

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2018, 06:23:03 PM »
We're discussing the policy, not what we on ddf do.

Offline nafnaf12

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2018, 06:24:18 PM »
We're discussing the policy, not what we on ddf do.
my apologies. Didn't read the earlier post's.
Please disregard.
Getting some popcorn and coming back here
A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

Offline Sig

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2018, 08:27:46 PM »

If you paid $50 for a pass, or can find someone who did and then subsequently was denied lounge access, then let's talk. Even better if they spend a significant chunk of change and direct even more employee spending to United. If instead you or the one hit wonder I was responding to got it as a perk with a credit card and are pissed you couldn't use it on one of your 2 annual flights on United, well nice strawman argument I guess?

As I already pointed out, United most likely loses money on your and my "business decision" to use their credit card. I for one charge a bunch and never carry a balance and I presume you are similar because we're both savy mileage folks here on this board. So again, from a business perspective they not only don't care if you go away but would prefer you (and I when it comes to credit cards) went away!

Offline LoLo

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2018, 10:56:05 PM »
If someone is losing money here, it's chase, not united. How on earth is united losing money here? chase pays them for the miles, lounge passes, and all other benefits.

Besides, i spent over 30k on my UA card in my first cardmember year.

Doesn't look like you know much about how CC's work, get off the high horse you're claiming not being on.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #57 on: August 29, 2018, 11:12:45 PM »
If someone is losing money here, it's chase, not united. How on earth is united losing money here? chase pays them for the miles, lounge passes, and all other benefits.

Besides, i spent over 30k on my UA card in my first cardmember year.

Doesn't look like you know much about how CC's work, get off the high horse you're claiming not being on.
Exactly. Chase pays for the lounge passes for their card holders and businesses pay for their employees. If the arrangement between Chase and United is based on space then the other arrangements have priority.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Definitions

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2018, 01:38:14 AM »
Ad kan hakafa beis...
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline as2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2018, 05:13:10 AM »
What's so complicated? If the lounge is overcrowded, walk ups and one time use passes should be turned away, as it states in the T&C. Club members obviously get priority. But to make a policy that you flat out won't accept a one time use pass? That's just wrong. Bottom line is, that one time use passes, once admitted, are equal to anyone else.
Memories last forever, make them while you can.