Author Topic: Lowest Ever: Takeya Cold Brew Iced Coffee Maker - $15 at [DEAD-Amazon] BestBuy  (Read 5295 times)

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Convenient way to make cold brew, with a removeable/reusable filter. Reports indicate that it can be pretty easily used for iced tead as well (it's actually listed as #1 best seller for Iced Tea Pitchers - I don't think there's a Cold Brew Pitchers category). It normally sells for $25, though it's been on sale before a bunch of times at $20 or $17. $15 is its lowest price ever.

Takeya Cold Brew Iced Coffee Maker
ETA: Bestbuy Link
Taste the difference with TAKEYA's Cold Brew Coffee Maker. The traditional hot brewing process releases undesirable acids and oils, resulting in bitter flavor and acidity that is intolerable to many. With cold brewing, only the naturally delicious coffee flavors are extracted, leaving behind the bitter oils and fatty acids, creating a perfectly balanced, smooth extraction of concentrated coffee. Once brewed, concentrated coffee can be kept fresh in the TAKEYA airtight Cold Brew Coffee Maker for up to 2 weeks and used for both hot and iced coffees.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 01:27:30 PM by skyguy918 »

Offline mileagejunkie

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 607
    • View Profile
Re: Lowest Ever: Takeya Cold Brew Iced Coffee Maker - $15 at Amazon
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 11:17:08 AM »
Convenient way to make cold brew, with a removeable/reusable filter. Reports indicate that it can be pretty easily used for iced tead as well (it's actually listed as #1 best seller for Iced Tea Pitchers - I don't think there's a Cold Brew Pitchers category). It normally sells for $25, though it's been on sale before a bunch of times at $20 or $17. $15 is its lowest price ever.

Takeya Cold Brew Iced Coffee Maker

Considering that it has sold for $17 many times, this is not not really a good deal. Also available at Best Buy.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 11:30:20 AM »
Considering that it has sold for $17 many times, this is not not really a good deal. Also available at Best Buy.
So the lowest price ever on an item is not even a 'good deal'? You'd rather pay $17? Besides, $17 was a sale too. Do you know how many lowest price ever posts there have been on DDMS, not to mention on DDF? And we're not talking about some big ticket item that's normally majorly overpriced, where it takes a 50% off to make a good deal. It's already pretty fairly priced based on similar items, and very popular. So you'll have to forgive me if I dismiss your comment out of hand.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 12:03:38 PM »
Thanks OP!

Anyone have any recommendations for which coffees taste well when cold-brewed?
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline mileagejunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 12:13:10 PM »
So the lowest price ever on an item is not even a 'good deal'? You'd rather pay $17? Besides, $17 was a sale too. Do you know how many lowest price ever posts there have been on DDMS, not to mention on DDF? And we're not talking about some big ticket item that's normally majorly overpriced, where it takes a 50% off to make a good deal. It's already pretty fairly priced based on similar items, and very popular. So you'll have to forgive me if I dismiss your comment out of hand.
I am not sure why you are so defensive but let me explain the way I view it. What I view as a great deal is a deal that will make anyone buy the item, regardless of whether or not they have looked at it in the past, and what I see being a good deal is a deal good enough for people who weren't sure about getting the item, or who were waiting for the price to lower, to go ahead and buy it.

Now, that item has rarely been selling full price, so people have had many chances to buy it at $17 and when it goes down to $15 it is only a 12% discount, not enough to tip the scale in my opinion.

I am not saying that anyone is right or wrong, I thought I should point that out so people who don't do they research don't buy this thinking it is the best deal when seeing that other sellers on Amazon are double the price (my first reaction) :)

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 12:25:59 PM »
Thanks OP!

I'm a total amateur when it comes to cold brew (well, coffee in general if I'm being honest), but my coffee snob friend who first introduced me to cold brew said you want course grinds (french press grinds if you can find it, as opposed to drip or espresso).

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 12:32:56 PM »
I am not sure why you are so defensive but let me explain the way I view it. What I view as a great deal is a deal that will make anyone buy the item, regardless of whether or not they have looked at it in the past, and what I see being a good deal is a deal good enough for people who weren't sure about getting the item, or who were waiting for the price to lower, to go ahead and buy it.

Now, that item has rarely been selling full price, so people have had many chances to buy it at $17 and when it goes down to $15 it is only a 12% discount, not enough to tip the scale in my opinion.

I am not saying that anyone is right or wrong, I thought I should point that out so people who don't do they research don't buy this thinking it is the best deal when seeing that other sellers on Amazon are double the price (my first reaction) :)
Let's put it this way - I have no patience for people who post just to crap on someone else's 'deals'. I never claimed this was a great deal, and I would put it squarely in your latter category (I had seen this a few weeks back at $17, and decided to set up a camelcamelcamel price alert at $15).

This is not the type of item that everyone should be buying just because it's cheap or a good deal. It's a fairly niche product at this point - for cold brew coffee. I explicitly wrote that it's been on sale at $17 and $20 several times lately, and I wrote lowest price ever, not fantastic/amazing/dirt cheap/super/must buy deal (no ! either). It's a pretty factual description. Not sure why you felt the need to protect all the naive, unsuspecting users out there from my predatory deal post.

ETA: I'm not saying no one should ever comment 'against' a deal post. I've seen plenty of misleading posts that imply something is a steal, which could warrant a reply with better info so that other readers have the full picture. But I provided all the relevant info in the post, including the information you purported to be adding to the discussion.

Offline mileagejunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 12:57:59 PM »
Let's put it this way - I have no patience for people who post just to crap on someone else's 'deals'. I never claimed this was a great deal, and I would put it squarely in your latter category (I had seen this a few weeks back at $17, and decided to set up a camelcamelcamel price alert at $15).

This is not the type of item that everyone should be buying just because it's cheap or a good deal. It's a fairly niche product at this point - for cold brew coffee. I explicitly wrote that it's been on sale at $17 and $20 several times lately, and I wrote lowest price ever, not fantastic/amazing/dirt cheap/super/must buy deal (no ! either). It's a pretty factual description. Not sure why you felt the need to protect all the naive, unsuspecting users out there from my predatory deal post.

ETA: I'm not saying no one should ever comment 'against' a deal post. I've seen plenty of misleading posts that imply something is a steal, which could warrant a reply with better info so that other readers have the full picture. But I provided all the relevant info in the post, including the information you purported to be adding to the discussion.

Well, it is not in my nature to post "crap on someone else's deals", you can check my posts for more info on that. I am sorry that I didn't realize that a 12% discount can be a determining factor for a sub-$20 item.
You are right regarding "warranting a reply with better info". What I should have said is that
It doesn't normally sell for $25

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
Currently not available directly from Amazon (lowest seller option is over $30). I edited the original post to add the BestBuy link.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Currently not available directly from Amazon (lowest seller option is over $30). I edited the original post to add the BestBuy link.

If it sold out on Amazon at this price, maybe it is a good deal after all...

#flamebait

Offline zow

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2016, 01:31:17 PM »
I'm a total amateur when it comes to cold brew (well, coffee in general if I'm being honest), but my coffee snob friend who first introduced me to cold brew said you want course grinds (french press grinds if you can find it, as opposed to drip or espresso).
Thanks OP!

I'm neither an amateur nor a coffee snob -- just someone who likes iced coffee.  I have used Peets and Starbucks and found both to be good. Agree with coarse grind.  I just make mine in a quart-sized Tupperware-type pitcher. I make it on Thursday or Friday to enjoy on summer Shabbos afternoons. I decant off the supernatant by pouring through a gold filter that I have from an old drip coffee maker.

Offline zow

• View Profile
$47 at Amazon right now!
still $14.99 at BB

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I'm neither an amateur nor a coffee snob -- just someone who likes iced coffee.  I have used Peets and Starbucks and found both to be good. Agree with coarse grind.  I just make mine in a quart-sized Tupperware-type pitcher. I make it on Thursday or Friday to enjoy on summer Shabbos afternoons. I decant off the supernatant by pouring through a gold filter that I have from an old drip coffee maker.

No, I'm just someone who likes iced coffee, I have no idea what you wrote :P

Offline zow

• View Profile
No, I'm just someone who likes iced coffee, I have no idea what you wrote :P
Sorry, I was geeky. I grind the beans coarsely, put them in the bottom of the Tupperware, add cold water, put it in the fridge. When I'm ready to drink, I pour off the liquid (grounds mostly but not completely settle to bottom) through a gold filter (but have also used a paper towel). I don't have and don't think I need a special fancy cold brew maker, though for $15, might be worth it!

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2016, 01:55:49 PM »
Just to clarify this a bit for people, both about cold brew in general, and what this product is in relation to that.

Cold brew is a different way to brew coffee, as opposed to heated methods like drip brew, espresso, french press. The process, according to wikipedia:
Quote from: Wikipedia
...coarse-ground beans are soaked in water for a prolonged period of time, usually 12 hours or more. The water is normally kept at room temperature, but chilled water can also be used. The grounds must be filtered out of the water after they have been steeped using a paper coffee filter, a fine metal sieve, a French press or felt.
Once you've filtered out the grounds, what you're left with is a coffee concentrate, that can then be prepared and consumed in a number of ways. It can be mixed with hot water and served hot, or just diluted with cold milk/water/ice for more of an iced coffee.

The main difference from other brewing methods is described as follows:
Quote from: Wikipedia
As the coffee beans in cold water extract coffee never come into contact with heated water, the process of leaching flavor from the beans produces a different chemical profile from conventional brewing methods. Coffee beans contain a number of constituents, such as caffeine, oils, and fatty acids, which are highly soluble at high temperatures. By brewing the coffee at lower temperatures, many of these solubles do not completely dissolve, resulting in lower acidity and lower caffeine content when brewed in equal volume.
If all you want is iced coffee (and you don't know or care about the difference in taste), it may not be worth the wait (ie the time to steep the grounds, which is really the brewing time). But it does provide the opportunity to prepare a whole lot at once that can last better than brewing hot and storing.

Sorry, I was geeky. I grind the beans coarsely, put them in the bottom of the Tupperware, add cold water, put it in the fridge. When I'm ready to drink, I pour off the liquid (grounds mostly but not completely settle to bottom) through a gold filter (but have also used a paper towel). I don't have and don't think I need a special fancy cold brew maker, though for $15, might be worth it!
So this was basically my attitude before as well. I hadn't even gotten started with cold brew before this. You definitely don't need any specialized products to do it. But for $15, this product really just makes things a little easier and more convenient as compared to simpler methods like the above. It has a built in filter, and it stores the concentrate in a airtight container so that one brew lasts longer. It's enough for me to take the plunge and give cold brew a try.

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
Just to clarify this a bit for people, both about cold brew in general, and what this product is in relation to that.

Cold brew is a different way to brew coffee, as opposed to heated methods like drip brew, espresso, french press. The process, according to wikipedia:Once you've filtered out the grounds, what you're left with is a coffee concentrate, that can then be prepared and consumed in a number of ways. It can be mixed with hot water and served hot, or just diluted with cold milk/water/ice for more of an iced coffee.

The main difference from other brewing methods is described as follows:If all you want is iced coffee (and you don't know or care about the difference in taste), it may not be worth the wait (ie the time to steep the grounds, which is really the brewing time). But it does provide the opportunity to prepare a whole lot at once that can last better than brewing hot and storing.
So this was basically my attitude before as well. I hadn't even gotten started with cold brew before this. You definitely don't need any specialized products to do it. But for $15, this product really just makes things a little easier and more convenient as compared to simpler methods like the above. It has a built in filter, and it stores the concentrate in a airtight container so that one brew lasts longer. It's enough for me to take the plunge and give cold brew a try.

Additionally, it's probably the only decent way to have a cup of decent coffee on Shabbos.
And the lower acidity is beneficial for those who have issues with acid reflux.
Visibly Jewish

Offline zow

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2016, 02:12:35 PM »

This makes sense to me. If it makes your Shabbos that much more enjoyable, then it's probably worth $15. :)

Offline yomo

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Additionally, it's probably the only decent way to have a cup of decent coffee on Shabbos.
And the lower acidity is beneficial for those who have issues with acid reflux.
I'm wondering, can it be a problem with borer on Shabbos?
If not, you're right that it's the only way to have great coffee on Shabbos!

Offline sag95

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Available again on Amazon for $15. But only shipping out in 2-3 weeks.

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
I'm wondering, can it be a problem with borer on Shabbos?
If not, you're right that it's the only way to have great coffee on Shabbos!

Definitely is a problem if your using the filter on shabbos.
The idea of coldbrew is that you can make it before Shabbos and it stays perfect in the fridge for a few days, no filter required.
Visibly Jewish