Author Topic: Mochjas Summer trip to Thailand and Hong Kong with 2 kids!  (Read 19432 times)

Online mochjas

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
Re: Mochjas Summer trip to Thailand and Hong Kong with 2 kids!
« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2016, 04:26:44 PM »
Day 7: Wednesday July 6th 2016

This was our first full day of activities. As we were doing a full day trip we needed a driver who would take us around all day. I originally bargained with a taxi driver who said he would charge 1000 baht for the full day ( I took his # and said I would call him if I decided to use him). When I got to the travel agency by the chabad they wanted 1200 for the same and I felt better about giving them the business so I agreed to use them. I told him the taxi driver was only charging me 1000 baht and he said that is because they take you to their places and you ended paying much more for the actual activities. I don’t know how true it is but in the end I was really happy that I used him since they sent a girl along with us to help us with the kids for free. (I ended up tipping her 100 baht for the day) She was really a big help!

They told us to be ready at 8 AM as our first stop was the elephant show at Maesa elephant camp. The show started at 9 and took about 45-50 minutes to get there. They showed up on time and we were on our way. (We had to wake up 5:30 AM to work out pray shower and eat. We had fruit for breakfast from the club room for free)

We got to the show on time and we had to buy tickets. I do not remember the exact cost but I think it was like 500 baht for all of us. We got in as they were bringing the elephants in. The first thing you do is feed them. The elephants were even able to take money and give it to the guy riding them as a tip!

Next they bathe the elephants.

Now it was time for the show. The elephants played with hula hoops, played soccer, bowed, played dead, placed a hat on the trainers head, and for the final act they painted very nice pictures, which were placed for sale after the show. It was very entertaining. We bought some souvenir t-shirts for the kids (we bought them elephant dolls the night before in the market) and we were on our way to the next stop.

Elephants coming in

Taking a bow!

Playing soccer

Doing tricks with a hula hoop

Putting hat on trainers head

Painting

One of the paintings

Online mochjas

• View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #61 on: July 26, 2016, 06:04:20 PM »
Our next stop was the waterfalls. Looking back at it I would skip this activity with kids as there is a lot of walking. We had to pay 400 baht total to get in. But we were able to see some nice views. The drive was 5 minutes from the elephant show so I guess it really didn’t hurt.

After the waterfalls, we went to the Maerim crocodile show, also about a 5 minute ride away. First they showed us around and we were even able to hold a baby crocodile for a small fee, but we passed on doing that. Now it was time for the show to start. The MC actually new some Hebrew words which was interesting. The show was very entertaining. The guy kept instigating the crocodiles and when they were about to bite him he pulled away. He rode them, stuck his hand in them, kissed them, and even put his head in their mouth. It cost us about 400 baht altogether for this as well.

The girl they sent to help us holding the baby crocodile

Next we were off to the Chiang Mai Monkey Centre for the monkey show. This cost us again about 3-400 baht. As we got in the show was just getting started for 2 other people so we rushed in. The monkeys performed various tricks like breaking open a coconut, climbing a tree and bringing coconuts down. My wife volunteered for one of the tricks to have her hands tied with a rope and the monkey came and untied it. Then he lifted weights. For the next act we yelled out a number from 1-10 and he picked the correct card that had the number on it. They also had a monkey riding a bike and dunking a basketball. At the end the monkey came around selling mosquito cream. You hand the monkey 10 baht and he gives the $ to the trainer and he hands you a cream. It was a really entertaining show and the kids loved it as well. Following the show we were able to take a picture with a monkey. We bought the kids souvenir monkey dolls and we were on our way.

We arrived at the King cobra show about 5 minutes later. The owner was the same as the crocodile show and the MC who is related to the MC from the crocodile show also spoke some Hebrew. We saw 3 guys playing with snakes for 20 minutes. After the show they showed us around and we were able to hold a non-poisonous snake and take a picture with it.

Offline Denverite

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 26, 2016, 08:31:40 PM »
Sounds like an awesome time for the kids!  My parents took us to Thailand when I was kid and I remember a lot of this stuff (and I'm sure your kids will have great memories too), although we also saw a cobra fight a mongoose and the snake lost!

Online mochjas

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 26, 2016, 09:33:30 PM »
Sounds like an awesome time for the kids!  My parents took us to Thailand when I was kid and I remember a lot of this stuff (and I'm sure your kids will have great memories too), although we also saw a cobra fight a mongoose and the snake lost!
wow sounds crazy! But yes the kids loved it and I'm so happy I brought them! They are a little young to remember I guess but hopefully when they see the pictures it'll bring back their memories

Online mochjas

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 26, 2016, 09:35:22 PM »
Great TR!

Didn't realize that Chabad has a Pizza place in Koh Samui. That's great info
thanks! I was surprised to hear about it as well! I guess either its new or most people don't make the trip to Chabad since it's far from the Conrad do they just don't know about it.   

It's also surprising that they don't write about it on their website

Offline yoshapman

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2016, 01:53:17 PM »
I'm surprised it was 1,500 baht from the airport to the hotel booked through the hotel. When we went 3 years ago we got a taxi on our own to the hotel for 120 baht, but it was only 150 baht back to the airport through the hotel. Granted it wasn't an SUV but I still can't imagine they charged 10x as much for an SUV.

Online mochjas

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2016, 02:15:26 PM »
I'm surprised it was 1,500 baht from the airport to the hotel booked through the hotel. When we went 3 years ago we got a taxi on our own to the hotel for 120 baht, but it was only 150 baht back to the airport through the hotel. Granted it wasn't an SUV but I still can't imagine they charged 10x as much for an SUV.
yep it was a brain fart on my account but that was the price. I was still in USM mode where it was OK to pay 1500 baht to get picked up from the airport. On the way back to the airport I definitely did not go through the hotel, I actually used the guy who took me around who also has an SUV for 300 baht! I wish I knew him from before!

Offline Proisrael

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG,Hilton,Club Carlson
« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2016, 12:15:09 PM »
Great TR!!

Yisroel from the TA next door to Chabad really knows his stuff and helped me tremendously with all my planning. Thailand has become a "Eastern Israel" with the non-kosher restaurants but with hebrew letters confusing you....all the trainers speak hebrew and sing jewish songs which is hilarious.

Online mochjas

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2016, 07:07:20 PM »
The final Stop of the day was Tiger Kingdom! We got there at about 2 PM. At this point we were too busy to think of food and besides for some snacks that we brought with us we did not eat much yet. Tiger kingdom is pretty expensive especially with young kids. There is only 1 option for kids and that is to take pictures with a 2 month old baby tiger. They do not even guarantee that he will be awake! The cost is 1300 baht per child but it includes a picture frame on the spot which is pretty cool! I also had to pay an extra 300 baht for a usb with all the pics.

My daughter went first. The tiger was sleeping but she was still a little scared. They first got a pic of her next to him. Then we told her to pet him. She did it hesitantly, and saw that nothing happened so we got a pic like that. Then I wanted one of her on top of him. I somehow got her to pose but she started crying! I told her just smile and you’re done and she gave us a good smile and we got some great pics for her.

Next up was my son. He did the picture sitting next to the tiger no problem. Then he touched him no problem, when all of a sudden the tail moved and the kid freaked out! We did everything to convince him to just take one more pic and he wouldn't. He even freaked the tiger out with his crying. We asked them if we can try again later as I paid close to $40 for this and wanted to get a good pic and they said OK.

BTW at first they wouldn't let a parent in with the kids unless they pay the 1300 baht as well. It took me 20 minutes to convince them that my kids would never go in by themselves to take a pic with a tiger. They finally agreed but said that I cannot take pictures with them. I said why would I want to if I was going to the bigger ones?

Anyway it was our turn. We decided to do the medium tiger which costs 600 baht a piece. we (and by we I mean my wife) also decided to pay the extra 300 baht for the photographer (even though I knew from DDF that for 50 baht they will gladly take all your pictures for you) While we were taking our pics they let our kids color outside to keep themselves busy.

We did our pictures and now time to try to get a good one for our son. We spent an hour and bribed him in every way possible but he refused. We bought them souvenir tigers and were on our way. We fed the kids some eggs and French fries and by 4 PM we were back in the hotel after a full day of fun!

The kids wanted to go swimming so since we weren’t going to eat until 6:30 we decided to take them to the pool. At about 6 we headed to Chabad for dinner. The kids had spaghetti with sauce which they loved. My wife had a roll with tehina, matbucha, and  some assorted pickles and some soup. I had the schnitzel with fried rice. All the food was delicious!

We went next door to pick up our shirts, went to the hotel to drop them of and went to the market. From our room we were able to see that there was a lot more to the market than what we saw the night before. The night before we saw like 20 tables and thought it was the whole thing. Boy were we wrong the market is huge but mostly the samw stuff and nothing that really stood out in my opinion. We bought a few stuff just to say that we bought something and went back to the hotel. We showered the kids and put them to sleep. We went to sleep as well, after packing quickly since we were exhausted from a long day and had to wake up early the next morning for our half day with the elephants. Another amazing day in the books!

Offline mgoldhammer18

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: American Airlines, Citi thank you, British Avios, Hilton, SPG, AMEX Platinum, Jetblue
« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2016, 02:28:10 PM »
Awesome TR so far

Online mochjas

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2016, 06:40:17 PM »
Day 8: Thursday July 7th 2016

Today we were going to ride the elephants. Being that we had a flight to catch that night we were only able to do a half a day. But that was more than enough. We were originally supposed to get there with a free shuttle that would pick us up from the hotel. Since the elephant place was far we would have had to been ready by 7:30 in order to get there at  9. After having the driver we had the day before (he was the husband of one of the girls who works in the TA next door to chabad) we were very happy with him and the free “baby sitter” they sent along I asked her if they can take us again to the elephants. She said she could but it would cost a whopping 1500 baht. I tried to bargain with her but she would not budge as she claimed it was very far and they would be using lots of gas. I reluctantly agreed and she told me to be ready by 8.

Lounge LM CNX

View from the lounge

We were picked up on time after a quick breakfast of fruit in the lounge and arrived to Baanchang Elephant paradise resort. Right behind us was the shuttle that was supposed to pick us up. It had 4 Israeli young guys and an older couple. We went in and got changed into our elephant clothing. TIP: bring foot wear that you do not care about.

Junior Elephant clothing

The leader told us that since I had 2 kids with me he would let me ride on his girlfriend which was the biggest elephant and could fit all of us. My wife who was pregnant was not allowed to ride the elephant. He then taught us how to speak to the elephants.

Elephant class

Close up of the lesson

Next order of business was to feed the elephants as you do not want to ride a hungry elephant.

Feeding the elephant

My elephants “boyfriend” on the left

Next we have to get on the elephant. First the babysitter went on and sat on the back. She was then given my son. Next it was my turn to get on. I had to tell the elephant to lift his leg so I can climb on it. I got up and was given my daughter to hold in the front. She was petrified the whole time but I was holding her which calmed her a little. My son was having a blast in the back. My wife together with the wife of the older couple who chose not to ride had to walk.

Our “babysitter” and us on the elephant

Elephant Fleet

The ride was bumpy and the elephant kept veering off to try to eat. But it was really fun and a great experience. After what felt like forever, it was time to wash the elephants. They let us get off as they didn’t want my kids falling into the water. We decided not to get back on as it was a short ride back after they finished washing the elephants. It was fun watching it and not actually doing it as the trainers made the elephants spit water from their mouths on to the people in the lake! Gross!

Elephants going in to get washed

Washing the elephants

They then gave us fruit and drinks and we were on our way back to chabad for lunch.

After lunch we went back to the hotel to shower, get rid of all the elephant from us, finish packing and get ready to go to the airport. It was an international flight to Hong Kong leaving at 6 so we were told to leave the hotel at 3. I again requested the same driver as he was very good and for a measly 300 baht he took us to the airport. The security for the bags is done as you enter and that was pretty quick. We got through customs quickly as well and had an hour and a half to kill before our flight. I was not able to find a lounge that would let us in. So we had to wait like the “regular people”

Anyway something weird they do in CNX is they have 2 flights leave at practically the same gate at the same time. To avoid confusion they make you wear a sticker with your airline on it. For this reason they boarder early as well, and since everyone was on the plane early we were able to take off early as well. The flight was Dragon air which I booked in Y for 7500 avios plus $20 per ticket. Pretty good deal! The meal was hermolis but salmon. I do not eat fish, my wife does but did not like it at all, but the desert was good so I had that. The kids passed out as soon as they sat down so they did not eat either. A nice thing the airline did since the plane was pretty empty was they blocked 2 seats for us so instead of having 4 seats we had 6 (2 rows of 3 next to each other). Of course both kids wanted to sit with me so my wife had 3 seats and we each had 1. (She really trained them well)!

KSML

The flight went by quick and before we knew it we landed in Hong Kong!

Hong Kong

HKG is huuuge! We got on the train to go to immigration and luckily we were placed on a short line since we had kids. You lose an hour from CNX to HKG so although the flight is only 2.5 hours it was already 10:15 by the time we were ready to get out of the airport. I wanted to use uber but I couldn’t figure out how to tell them where to meet me so I just cancelled it. I did some money changing and found a taxi. Somehow they fit all our luggage and 4 people in a regular sized car!In about 25 minutes we arrived to the Sheraton Kowloon!

Small Taxis

I really wanted to stay in the W but it just didn’t make sense this time around. It is not Shabbat friendly and we were leaving Sunday at 4 PM and arrived late Thursday night. The Sheraton was perfect we were able to go up and down the steps and it was a 10 minute walk from kehilat zion shul and restaurant. We finally got to check in and the guy informed me that there were no suites available but he could get me into 1 tomorrow, but… It won’t have a harbor view! I told him that would be perfect and we went to the room.

We tried to feed the kids some food that we had but they just wanted to sleep. I promised them a good breakfast in the morning and they went to sleep! Another fun and exhausting day in the books.

Lobby Sheraton Kowloon

Harbour View Room

Shower/Tub

Bathroom

Offline yitzyul

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2016, 07:47:11 PM »
Are you sure the Pizza store was kosher? Its not under Chabad, so do you know who?
TY

Online mochjas

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 09, 2016, 07:57:29 PM »
Are you sure the Pizza store was kosher? Its not under Chabad, so do you know who?
TY
in koh samui? Yes it is under Chabad

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 09, 2016, 10:24:20 PM »
Your kids weren't petrified to get on the elephants?

Online mochjas

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2016, 10:35:02 PM »
Your kids weren't petrified to get on the elephants?
at first my son was but once we were all on he was fine. My daughter kept saying she wants to go down but I didn't listen to her. And now whenever we talk about she us so happy that she went. It was really a great once in a lifetime experience. My wife is really pissed that she didn't get to ride though.

Offline Proisrael

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG,Hilton,Club Carlson
« Reply #75 on: August 11, 2016, 11:06:27 AM »
Those elephants are awesome there in Baachong!! I had a sick time there and the guides I thought were pretty amazing as well.

Offline @Yehuda

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 11, 2016, 03:38:41 PM »
Wow! Great report! Love all the pictures. Thank you, thank you for writing it all up.

Online mochjas

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 12, 2016, 01:34:37 PM »
Day 9: July 8th 2016

I finally had a chance to pray with a minyan so although we went to sleep late the night before I woke up at 6:15 AM to make the 7:00 minyan in KZ. Luckily that I did because I was the tenth guy. I told my wife to take a taxi and meet me there at 8 for breakfast. Breakfast was pretty good for about $13 U.S. dollars per person and she didn’t charge me for the kids which was nice, especially since they ate more than me. I don’t really eat eggs so I just had some plain French toast.

Mul Hayam restaurant Kowloon

Sample breakfast plate (it was buffet so you can take as much as you want)

We then paid for the Shabbat meals which was $150 per person for 3 meals and again she didn’t charge me for my kids even though she said on the phone that kids were $75 3 and up. More on those meals later.

Being that this was really our only day in Hong Kong where we can go around; we decided to take the ferry to Hong Kong Island, since we wanted to have lunch in the JCC.  We decided that we would go touring on the hop on and hop off bus until it was lunch time. We bought tickets to the double decker bus which cost us about $116 total for unlimited use of all 3 lines and either a tram ride or a ride to sky 100. The ferry is included in the price as well. It was really hot outside. We got to the ferry which is about a 10 minute walk from the Sheraton. It leaves every half hour or so. There were some nice views to be seen and about 10 minutes later we were on the island.

We got on the bus and hopped on and off until the stop that was supposedly near the JCC. It wasn’t that close and at this point we were starving and didn’t want to wait for another bus so we just took a taxi. There was lots of traffic for some reason and 15 minutes later we finally made it to the JCC. We were interrogated and asked for our passports, thanks to all those who posted that we should bring it with us. The best question was why are you coming here? Um.. this is the only kosher restaurant in this area and we are Jewish and want to eat kosher food. We were not grilled like this even in the airport.

We finally got in and the meat restaurant was closed . Our family likes meat much better than dairy even my wife. So we settled on the dairy restaurant which is called seven zero. Most of the stuff there is chalav Yisrael and they were glad to show us what was and what wasn’t. We got the kids mac and cheese and the kids size pizza and they loved both we also got fries which were amazing and I got some spicy pizza and my wife got olive and mushroom pizza. Everything was really good and we had leftovers to feed the kids if they got hungry again.

Mac N Cheese

Kids Pizza

Fries

My Wifes olive and mushroom pizza

There was a play area outside the restaurant where the kids had a fun time playing for a few minutes in air condition. While I was on the phone finalizing our tickets home (yes we were still not finalized and we were leaving in less than 48 hours) I sent my wife to go checkout the kosher supermarket on the 6th floor. I was scared to go in the elevator and lose cell reception. They basically had everything you would want up there and lots of leftover pesach stuff on sale! We got some snacks as our stash was running low and we found some chocolate milk for the kids (non-CY) which they hadn’t been drinking for the past week. (They usually drink it every morning and can’t live without it) They also have lots of kosher wine. 

Kosher Supermarket in JCC

As you can see its pretty big and fully stocked

At this point we were pretty wiped out and it was getting late so we decided to skip the 1 hour long bus ride to the market. Shabbat started at about 6 and it was already 1:30. We decided to go back to the hotel to see if our new room was ready. We went back by taxi which cost about $15 so it wasn’t so bad. We just really couldn’t get back on that bus. Sure enough it was and they moved our packed luggage to our new rooms. The suite they gave us was perfect as it was on the 5th floor which is the lowest floor with rooms. It had a big living room and a big bedroom.

Living room

{img]https://c2.staticflickr.com/9/8746/28305611753_d6fdde0662_z.jpg[/img]
Entrance to the bedroom

Bedroom

Closet/ storage area

Bathroom

(BTW paid rates were $225 U.S. dollar plus tax for a standard room so I decided to use C & P for this room which was 6000 points plus $110 per night. The suites go for close to $400 a night! I love SPG platinum!)

Now that we were settled we decided to go to sky 100 which was a 10 min ride from our hotel and is located next door to the Ritz Carlton. We went up an elevator about 100 floors high and were treated with a 360 degree view of the city.

Sky 100 entrance

Elevators to go up

Unfortunately it was cloudy

It was getting really late now so we headed back to the hotel to shower and get ready for Shabbat which started early at about 6:30. Before leaving the hotel I left the key with the concierge who agreed to open the door for me when I came back. We went to shul which was a 10 minute easy walk and right after they ask us to step outside for 10 minutes while they set up the table. The food was amazing! They start you off with lots of salads and dips and fresh chalah. Then they bring sushi, followed by 8 types of fish one after another. (Unfortunately I do not eat fish but my wife said it was really good) then they brought 2 types of chicken and two types of beef and 2 types of rice or cous cous. It was really lavish and well worth what we paid. Dessert was fruit, ices and some pastries. We took the well needed walk back to the hotel, where the concierge met us on the 5th floor and opened the door for us. We passed out as soon as we hit the pillows.

Online mochjas

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 12, 2016, 01:39:21 PM »
Wow! Great report! Love all the pictures. Thank you, thank you for writing it all up.
No problem at all! Happy to give back to all those who helped me!

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 12, 2016, 08:40:27 PM »
Thanks for all the details and pics.  I'm looking for cool vacations that my kids will enjoy and also get a real Shabbos experience.  It seems like Hong Kong is the perfect Shabbos addition to an Asia trip I'd like to do.