Author Topic: My (very) belated Honeymoon to the "Land of Smiles" (CX F, EY F)  (Read 38773 times)

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: My (very) belated Honeymoon to the "Land of Smiles"
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2016, 11:09:02 PM »

Offline chuchem

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2016, 05:06:34 AM »
$230 for 1 custom made suit in Thailand??? OUCH!!!!!
Agree. Got amazing suits in Khao Lak. Best tailor in area. with super 180 wool silk, was 210 Dollars. Starting by 200 sound like rip off for thailand

Offline benjie1305

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2016, 07:09:48 AM »
While the suits might have been somewhat "expensive" compared to typical Thai prices, I was way more comfortable having heard about him from numerous sources. Having people that bought from him years and years ago and still have a great working product and keep re-ordering made me very comfortable and made me be ok paying somewhat of a premium. So far I am happy as well.
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline CS91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2016, 07:42:15 AM »
Following!

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2016, 10:39:37 AM »
Looking forward to the rest.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
Re: My (very) belated Honeymoon to the "Land of Smiles" (CX F, EY F)
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2016, 08:08:52 PM »
Thursday, July 21st, Chiang Mai

I woke up quite early on Thursday. It was 330a to be precise. How I was so awake on less then 5 hours of sleep is beyond me to figure out but I was definitely good to go. After browsing the web, taking a shower, reading a book and sitting on the couch twiddling my thumbs my wife finally woke up. It was now 530a.

We decided to head down to the breakfast area (how awesome that they open at 530a. Like really SO awesome!) and relax in the nice lobby for a bit. The schedule was for the shuttle to pick us up around 730a and take us to "Baanchang Elephant Paradise" where we would spend the next 6+ hours with the elephants.

The shuttle was on time and came in to the lobby to pick us up and we were happy to see that this was a more "intimate" tour as we were going to do this session with another couple (who happened to be from Switzerland).

It is amazing to see how fast you go from Chiang Mai "City" to suddenly be surrounded by trees, nature and jungle. I mean yes, you do see all the greenery and the mountains from your hotel room and realize that you are close but when you are in car spending the first twenty minutes in heavy traffic surrounded by stores and buildings and wake up from a 3 minute snooze to be surrounded by nothing but big trees and miles of nature it makes for an awesome and surreal experience.

Entrance to the Elephant Camp

Once we got to the elephant camp we were asked to remove our shoes and take a seat. We were given special outfits that we put on and then got ready for our 20 minute lesson with "Bird" and his brother "Crazy Bong" on Elephant Lingo. After getting familiar with YUT (Stop), KHWA (Right), SAH (Left) and DEE DEE DEE (this command is said while literally hitting the elephant on the head and is basically the same as clapping them on the back for doing a good job) and disregarding the rest of the words (besides for ReoReo which means Faster Faster) we were off to get started.

[Crazy Bong and me are now best friends. He has 3 different Facebook accounts so his girlfriend doesn't know what else he is up to. He calls himself single because unless you are married, you are single. He loves going after others and throwing Elephant Poop at them >> Turned into the two of us teaming up together to throw it at his brother. #funtimes]

We first went to feed the elephants. What an awesome experience. Taking apples and sugarcane and commanding them to lift their trunks in order for us to lay the food straight into their mouths or having them use their trunks to grab it out of our hands. Either one was fun. Then we moved on to one young elephant whose expertise was giving us kisses on command. Incredible moments that I will not forget.

We then moved on to designating who would be the "driver" and who the "passenger". The driver sits right behind the elephants ears and actually needs to make use of the commands described above to lead the elephant. The passenger sits further back and really just enjoys the ride. Being that my wife had zero interest in becoming the driver at any point, it was on me to lead us through the jungle.  :D

Climbing such an animal is quite funny. You basically tell the elephant to lift its leg, climb onto the leg, then yell another command telling the elephant to lift the leg higher and then basically jump on the elephant's back hoping that you get around the back and don't fall short (and/or off) or too far and fall off the other side.

Off we were into the jungle and through the hills of the area which was finished off by us leading the elephant through a lake which eventually just got deeper and deeper until Bong and Bird started yelling a command I never heard of before. I looked perplexed and suddenly felt gravity shifting fast. Very fast. The elephant was basically plopping down to the side with me on it. I was thinking that life was ending until I could spot the brothers laughing hard out of the corner of my eye. Now I was soaking wet - though still alive - and we were handed brushes to start cleaning off our elephant (whose name we changed during our excursion).

[I could not believe that they had named the elephant we were riding Christina for the one and only Christina Aguilera. We decided to rename it Captain America for its strength and endurance. Much more accurate of a description then that of a genie in a bottle.]

After lots of playing and cleaning in the water and getting soaked by Captain America's trunk numerous times it was time to finish up, shower and move on with our day. I encourage you all to spend times with the elephants and make it to some tour that also includes being hands on with them. It is truly spectacular and not the last time I'll be doing it.

Feeding

Getting intimate

Getting Dropped

Cleaning

After having spoken to 669 Tours the night before we had arranged for a driver to now take us to "X Centre" where another driver would take us to all the local animal attractions and then drop us back at the hotel. While at "X Centre" we indulged in our lunches we had brought from Chabad. Today we had Tuna sandwiches and - once again - yummy vegetable noodles. More then enough.

We were picked up promptly and started with the snakes. After paying around $10 combined we got to watch the instructors almost get killed on numerous occasions and then had them try to place a King Cobra by my crotch in order to release its venom. Fun Fun. We then got a tour of the place and were able to hold some scorpions and snakes.

We then headed over to the monkeys. Snuggling with some baby monkeys and enjoying Sam the monkey ride his bike, play basketball and then sell us some monkey balm we were off to the next show.

We then went over to the crocodiles and for anyone that is reading Mochjas's TR, I won't repeat myself. The same guy, doing the same crazy stuff, 7 days a week 365 days a week that will eventually get him killed.

Last but not least we were off to Tiger Kingdom. We went to the little and the big ones and requested pictures for just the big ones (its only $7 and they give you an entire CD with 40+ pictures and you get to focus on the actual experience). It was a crazy experience being so close to them. We had a lot of fun and the place was really filled. You can tell that this is a well established business with some real volume (compared to the other animal farms we went to).

It was then time to head back and we were tired after a long day. Our driver did think we should do the long neck village but we a) were very tired and b) didn't really have interest at all. Our driver thought we should and tried selling us on it. 600 baht. 550. 400. 350. Pleasssseee!

NO!

Finally back at the hotel we were able to take a nice long bath before relaxing a bit in the room. We were getting hungry and decided to walk to Chabad. After eating and shmoozing with the local rabbi a bit we wandered through the night market and I decided to stop for a 90min Thai Massage. It was great, clean and $10. Now I was really tired and after heading back to the hotel and up to my room the next thing I remember is dreaming..
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2016, 08:09:32 PM »
P.S.

I will add some monkey pics later on (if the mods let me make changes once again after the fact  ::) ) bc my wife has the camera with those pics and isn't around currently.
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2016, 06:39:37 PM »
Wow! Really nice TR so far! Really looking forward to the rest.

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
Following!
Looking forward to the rest.
Wow! Really nice TR so far! Really looking forward to the rest.

Happy you are all enjoying.

Will try to follow this up sooner rather then later.
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline @Yehuda

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2016, 09:32:16 AM »
AWESOMEEEEE! The elephant experience looks incredible, but snakes, scorpions and alligators? You can enjoy that yourself... Can't wait for monkey pics!

Offline Emkay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
Who took all the pics by the elephants?
I'm still cleaning elephant mucus off me from when I got kissed.

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
Who took all the pics by the elephants?
I'm still cleaning elephant mucus off me from when I got kissed.

Lol.

We were very well equipped with phones and cases etc but the leaders of the tour made it clear to leave them behind in order to focus on the elephants and that they would - as they usually do - take pictures of all of us at all times and if we wanted a specific pic when they weren't around to call them over to take pics.

They did exactly that and I could not have been happier with the tour and the people running it.
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
Lol.

We were very well equipped with phones and cases etc but the leaders of the tour made it clear to leave them behind in order to focus on the elephants and that they would - as they usually do - take pictures of all of us at all times and if we wanted a specific pic when they weren't around to call them over to take pics.

They did exactly that and I could not have been happier with the tour and the people running it.
They charged for taking those pics?

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
They charged for taking those pics?

No.

If you have an Android device they are happy to just plug their camera into your phone and upload all the pics.

Otherwise - like in my case - they upload them daily on to Facebook and you can just download them from there.
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
My (very) belated Honeymoon to the "Land of Smiles" (CX F, EY F)
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2016, 05:44:49 PM »
First as promised some monkey pics:

Me and my new friend Sam

A perfect 7/7

He untangled us all by himself
[

Friday, July 22nd, Chiang Mai

Friday started significantly later for me as I only woke up around 5am.

We once again headed to breakfast early and were going to get picked up by someone from 669 Tours around 9a. As my wife did not want to do Zip-lining and I did not want her sitting around for 5 hours while I enjoyed myself (Yes, she did offer to just sit in the car and wait) we decided to do waterfall rapelling instead.

[While it sounds ridiculous to NOT want to do Zip-lining but be ok doing waterfall repelling, the truth lies somewhere in the middle. My wife did not love the idea but was more comfortable being that she had done it years prior in NZ + having the guide telling her that his 7 year old grandson did it helped as well.]

We got picked up a few minutes late and were going to be doing this tour with 2 frum sisters from Milan. One of them left her 5 kids behind to travel with her sister and go on her first trip in 15 years. You could tell by the amount of pictures she made us take of her (and then send her via whatsapp) how excited she was.

[On that note, I love love love the waterproof case my wife purchased for us before the trip. We got this one which was perfect. Especially when going waterfall repelling this came in very handy. While there are other cases that will do the job, this has a string to go around your neck so you really don't need to worry where to store it when you aren't taking pictures. ]

Part of the excursion is sponsored lunch and they thus stopped on the way to buy us pineapples, dragonfruit and watermelon. I love love love dragonfruit ( I love a lot).

Things to note when doing this:

-Bring sneakers that can get soaked in water for extensive periods of time without you crying about that later on.
-Bring bug spray.
-While they will take some pics for you (which I have yet to get), bring a camera and a waterproof case for it.

Bathrooms used by the locals in the national park where we went repelling (they offered it them to us as well  ??? Yaaaa, No!)

It started pouring monsoon-like amounts of water for 25 minutes + we were shown what in nature we can eat. I was hungry, so I ate.

Getting started with a 15-footer "practice"

Moving on to the Big Boy

For perspective. It was 50ft deep

Jumping down from 40 feet

Trekking up through numerous beautiful "sticky" waterfalls

Delicious Lunch

After a beautiful hike through the forest we were back where we started around 130p. We ate our delicious lunch, changed our clothes and cleaned off our shoes before heading back towards the hotel.

We were exhausted and felt that it was just appropriate to head for round 2 of massages. Having done so successfully it was time for my fitting at Neramit's. We waived down a Tuk Tuk and made our way to him. The fitting was excellent and after he noted a few kinks that needed fixing (my shoulders are seemingly not perfectly aligned  >:( tzzz) he promised that the suits would be delivered to my room by the next day. We were back off to the hotel as Shabbes was getting closer and we wanted to shower and relax a bit before heading over to Chabad for dinner.

Dinner was nuts. Just absolutely crazy. So crazy that they had an entire second dinner starting at 915p. We just barely squeezed in for the regular 730p dinner. There were like 3-400 people there and as per the rabbi that is quite normal in the summer time. Obviously mostly Israelis and thus the evening came with lots of Israeli folklore songs. I was a bit worried that they would run tight on food and that it would be a real hassle to grab a bite or snag a cup of soda but I must say they have it down to a tee. The waiters and staff kept coming back with new bottles of water and soda and kept providing more bags of sliced challah (amazing challah!) to all the tables. They had dips followed by soup followed by rice and chicken (no dessert) and it was overall a great meal.

We were tired and exhausted from a long day so we headed back around 9p and had security bring us to our room without a problem. On that note, I called the front desk before hand letting them know at what times Id need someone to pick me up from the room and bring me back up. We had no problems whatsoever.

Off we were to the land of dreams..
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 07:14:02 PM by benjie1305 »
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2016, 06:07:59 PM »
That water rappelling sounds like real fun. The bugs and humidity are what would get to me. I wonder if dry season is better, or is it always buggy and humid?

Great pics and glad you enjoyed Friday night at Chabad; it may have been too crowded for my taste.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 07:18:41 PM by Yehoshua »

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
My (very) belated Honeymoon to the "Land of Smiles" (CX F, EY F)
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2016, 06:22:01 PM »
That water repelling sounds like real fun. The bugs and humidity are what would get to me. I wonder if dry season is better, or is it always buggy and humid?

Great pics and glad you enjoyed Friday night at Chabad; it may have been too crowded for my taste.

It was too crowded for my taste but we "suffered" through it. The rabbi and his crew are some really sweet people.

In terms of going rapelling it was not really humid. It was totally fine. I also did not feel too many bugs around but then again we are hiking through the jungle.

"Suck it up and go!" Is my verdict.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 07:13:11 PM by benjie1305 »
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2016, 06:38:21 PM »
It was too crowded for my taste but we "suffered" through it. The rabbi and his crew are some really sweet people.

In terms of going repelling it was not really humid. It was totally fine. I also did not feel too many bugs around but then again we are hiking through the jungle.

"Suck it up and go!" Is my verdict.
Believe me, when we can we will.

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
*rappelling

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
*rappelling