Author Topic: Powerful video. Raising an important issue.  (Read 17971 times)

Offline Aaaron

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Powerful video. Raising an important issue.
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2016, 12:55:03 PM »
Wow. I don't think I have ever agreed with you more. Well said.

+1

No where did he say that it was all or even imply it. More than you are comfortable acknowledging? Maybe? I don't know what community you are from but the chassidic community he is from has been much slower to respond to this issue than the non chassidic communities and therefore there is now a much bigger issue there and almost know one addressing it and even less funding it. Why do we have to respond with dismissive attitudes that he is too extreme or angry why can't we stop for a second and think maybe there is validation to that pain and anger? Maybe because we were lucky to not be affected by this problem we actually aren't aware of how prevalent it is?

Another +1

Offline username

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
  • Programs: ┌──────────────────┐ │───> Ữ₴ΣЯИΛΜӘ <─── │ └──────────────────┘
« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2016, 01:17:51 PM »
^^^

Offline Boruch999

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2016, 06:38:11 PM »
I feel his pain.  I understand his anger.  I admire his courage.  I do not think he exaggerated.  I do not think he unjustly accused anyone.

It is a shame that his message wasn't presented in a slightly less confrontational way.  In a normal setting.  With his shirt a bit more closed.

It would have spoken to more people and would have denied many of his detractors here an excuse to criticize him.

Offline Live N Learn

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2016, 07:03:47 PM »
".איזהו חכם, הלומד מכל אדם"

Offline YOSEF

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2016, 08:15:56 AM »
What do you mean by "deny extent"?

How about this little factoid:

There are many more heroin addicts in Lakewood than cancer patients.

When's the last time anyone biked for them? Jogged for them? Parlor meetings? Dinners? Full page adds? Mascots?

All I hear is crickets!!!

You (along with a good chunk of Klal Yisrael) seem to have forgotten that we are supposedly a nation of baishanim.

For that reason alone, maybe, just maybe, we shouldn't have full page ads or be pulling publicity stunts to address heroin addiction in our community.

Let me be perfectly clear. I am not denying the issue. I'm not blaming the addict for the issue. I'm not saying it can't be dealt with. I'm not saying it is being dealt with.

But don't try to prove a point, by saying that the lack of noise about an issue means it isn't cared about or dealt with.

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2016, 09:01:00 AM »
You (along with a good chunk of Klal Yisrael) seem to have forgotten that we are supposedly a nation of baishanim.

For that reason alone, maybe, just maybe, we shouldn't have full page ads or be pulling publicity stunts to address heroin addiction in our community.

Let me be perfectly clear. I am not denying the issue. I'm not blaming the addict for the issue. I'm not saying it can't be dealt with. I'm not saying it is being dealt with.

But don't try to prove a point, by saying that the lack of noise about an issue means it isn't cared about or dealt with.
Please spare us the self righteousness.
You are confusing shame, a direct byproduct of arrogance and rishus with busah.
Bayshanim wouldn't be biking around town in spandex, urinating on the sides of roads for any cause.

You admititingly state that you have no awareness of the problem or its solution. And callously don't seem to give a darn that kids are dropping like flies. (You probably do, does seems like not..)

Yes there are pockets of amazing people and small organizations dedicated to addressing this issue. But it is not and has not been addressed as a klall problem. We must address this the same way our communities as a whole come together to combat cancer, infertility or yesomim.
We need well funded organizations to very publicly address this.
It cannot be fixed in the shadows. -Lack of awareness is a big part of the actual problem!

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2016, 08:46:41 AM »

Offline elya

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2016, 08:50:39 AM »
Not directly related, but interesting nonetheless,

Offline Aaaron

• View Profile

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2016, 12:27:52 PM »
To knock the video is ridiculous.  The kid clearly has valid concerns and was trying to bring attention to a serious and valid concern. I do agree that it's not the method or way to fix it all. But we need to start talking about the issues so we can go about in a positive way to start making change to prevent more pain and help those who already are in pain.

I agree with R Wallenstein that we need to go with a more 'survivor' approach and start talking about how to do just that, survive.  But I still don't get the anger and hate and bad words towards a video of a guy trying to bring attention to an ongoing problem that is clearly personal to him.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline elit

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2016, 05:54:49 PM »
https://youtu.be/g07pL4JTr8I
Just watched this.  I'm shocked.  I'm going to stop there.

Offline Moshe G

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2016, 06:18:54 PM »
The defensiveness possibly stems from arrogance and rishus.
I have no better way to explain why people get so angry when anyone lifts the curtain on some of the issues that affect our community.
I guess it makes some feel unclean?

Others here really do care, they are simply in denial. They can't believe how many heroin addicts litter the gutters of our heiligeh communities. Etc etc. so they deny.

The main purpose of the video is to bring more awareness to some of the pain our youth is in.

All of us should be aware of the fact that yes, just like in the non Jewish communities, not all children are brought up in perfect, happy, safe and healthy environments.
Some kids are in such pain that they can't live with it anymore.

We should all realize the risks of a child in a difficult situation.

This is very constructive. Not destructive.

He mentioned abuse. This does happen. This does exist. It does directly lead to bodies with dead souls..  Children who self medicate with dangerous deadly substances must be in serious serious pain. No??

He didn't say "all rabbis are molestors".  He said that this pain cannot and should not be dismissed as "mental illness"...

Those who deny the facts that the abused need to be protected, and taken seriously, have blood on their hands..

I can go on and on. The bottom line is that awareness can litteraly save lives.
You don't have to *do* anything. Just be aware of the children in pain. Be aware when bringing your own kids. Pay extra special attention to that sensitive child who seems to be in pain. Don't say eh, he'll grow out of it and be fine.

Is *your* child happy and healthy?? Make sure they are! Address their problems and issues.
Maybe it's a niece who's parents are going through something. Give her some extra attention, love and a smile. You can change and save lives.

Know the symptoms of drug abuse, so that when it CV affects someone close to you, you take immediate and appropriate action before it's too late.

I am fully convinced that awareness of our problems will save lives.
The problem with this message is that he stresses more on blaming the community rather than offering to help the cause.

Offline Moshe G

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 17, 2016, 06:33:05 PM »
T.  But I still don't get the anger and hate and bad words towards a video of a guy trying to bring attention to an ongoing problem that is clearly personal to him.
Seriously... are you blind. The guy is so more focused blaming the community for all these peoples mistakes, which is wrong, period. The issue is a real issue that needs a lot of attention but this kid trying to point fingers ain't gonna cut it.

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 17, 2016, 06:36:55 PM »
Maybe. Maybe not. But why hate on a guy who already suffered enough? And why focus on what's wrong with her video instead of focusing on the problem and trying to be change?

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 17, 2016, 06:41:06 PM »
To knock the video is ridiculous.  The kid clearly has valid concerns and was trying to bring attention to a serious and valid concern. I do agree that it's not the method or way to fix it all. But we need to start talking about the issues so we can go about in a positive way to start making change to prevent more pain and help those who already are in pain.

I agree with R Wallenstein that we need to go with a more 'survivor' approach and start talking about how to do just that, survive.  But I still don't get the anger and hate and bad words towards a video of a guy trying to bring attention to an ongoing problem that is clearly personal to him.

The problem is the video was all over the place. Abuse victims, sex addicts, drug, gambling, and alcohol addicts, yeshiva dropouts, and etc. The guy has valid concerns and you can't criticize that he put out a video, but his video accomplishes pretty much nothing.

He says he's not trying to fix anything, he's just here to ask a bunch of questions, which he proceeds to do.
How many drug addicts, how many suicides, etc.
But what's the questions help without any answer?
Give us the numbers? Or at least an estimate?
How can you bring awareness to an issue when you have no idea what you're talking about?
Visibly Jewish

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 17, 2016, 06:42:19 PM »
He wants people to start talking. He knows enough to know people don't realize how big of an issue these things are.

Offline elit

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 17, 2016, 06:42:36 PM »
Seriously... are you blind. The guy is so more focused blaming the community for all these peoples mistakes, which is wrong, period. The issue is a real issue that needs a lot of attention but this kid trying to point fingers ain't gonna cut it.
Just out of curiosity what percentage of chassidic otd kids would you estimate have been abused, physical sexual or emotional?

Offline Moshe G

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 17, 2016, 06:42:51 PM »
Maybe. Maybe not. But why hate on a guy who already suffered enough? And why focus on what's wrong with her video instead of focusing on the problem and trying to be change?
Simple, he is hated because he blames a whole community for all of his problems. ITS THE BLAMING PART people are upset at. He could of made his case without throwing blame.

Offline JTZ

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 17, 2016, 06:43:22 PM »
The guy is so more focused blaming the community for all these peoples mistakes,
Seriously... are you blind.
"LESS IS MORE" It is the cumulative effect that kills deals!!! How many times do I have to say this?  >:(

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 17, 2016, 06:52:00 PM »
He wants people to start talking.

Start talking about what?
About every issue that could possibly affect our community?
His message is too wide I don't see any focused topic that anyone will spend time discussing because of the video.

He knows enough to know people don't realize how big of an issue these things are.

Well that's not how it works.
Awareness starts with facts from knowledgeable individuals in the know.
Awareness doesn't spread from a 22 year old who doesn't have any facts or (significant) experience to back up his message.

Also do you remember #Kony2012? That went viral but they did nothing but collect donations and create videos.
There has to be an end goal. There has to be something of substance. Otherwise it's just a video that makes the average person feel bad for a few moments before they move on with their life.
Visibly Jewish