Author Topic: 3yummyboys' Short Long Island Getaway  (Read 3955 times)

Offline 3yummyboys

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
3yummyboys' Short Long Island Getaway
« on: August 04, 2016, 08:16:25 PM »
I had been looking for a way to use the 2 Hyatt night certs we got from the Rite Aid promo back in 2014. We originally booked two nights in LA which we were going to tack onto our Hawaii trip, but ended up skipping LA altogether.
The certs can only be used at specific hotels, and we couldn't find a time to use them. They expired 7/31/16 and I was afraid I would have to lose them or give them away. Luckily, my parents offered to take the kiddies and we were able to sneak away for shabbos last week. Due to work schedules, we couldn't go far so we chose the Hyatt Regency Long Island.
I emailed the manager right away, noting that we are both platinum members and asked if there were any available upgrades. She responded that all 4 of their suites were booked but she would give us a nice room.
I also requested a low floor (shabbos) and there are refrigerators in every room. The hotel has manual doors to get in, and we used the tape on the door to get into our room on shabbos. While we were in the room we just kept the deadbolt locked.

Offline Luvtotravel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: 3yummyboys' Short Long Island Getaway
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 09:58:15 PM »
you set up a hotplate? any minyanim walking distance?
Don't wait for the perfect moment; take the moment and make it perfect.

Offline 3yummyboys

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 07:05:13 AM »
you set up a hotplate? any minyanim walking distance?

I was getting to that ...
We used our crock pot with an upside down tin inside. Worked perfectly. No minyan (unless you count the reform shul nearby)

Offline 3yummyboys

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 07:36:45 AM »
I figured I deserved a break from cooking so we got takeout for shabbos food. We each made a tin with our food for each meal (POM style) so we just had two tins to heat up at each meal. (Wow that sentence has a lot of "each")
We got to the hotel around 6:30 and I asked for the manager at check in. I asked again if any suites had opened up. She said no but she had a great idea for us. She wanted to show it to me before confirming, so she showed me this.

This room is connected:

She said they usually use that room as a bridal suite but I told her it was perfect for our needs. It was on the ground floor so we didn't have to walk any steps. Once we were checked in, it was time to get ready for shabbos.

Apparently, the People's Club of Nigeria had an event there that weekend, so we saw lots of people in what looked like pajamas ;) Those guys know how to party! Dinner was from 7pm to 3am with a separate room for the kids. I think I embarrassed DH but I had to go check it out. I didn't take pics but suffice it to say that between the food and the music, try looked like they were having a blast!

There is a nice nature trail right next to the hotel, which we walked to on shabbos day. It was a little muddy so we decided to skip it because we were in shabbos clothing. After a very relaxing shabbos, we went to the bar for drinks. It was a pleasant atmosphere, not rowdy at all.

We checked out the pool but every time we went, there were people in it :( oh well!

Lobby:

They had a "corner pantry" where you could get snacks and drinks, as well as supplies like Tylenol or Bobby pins. I was surprised that they go on the honor system, you write down what you take.

It was a quiet, relaxing shabbos! On Sunday we had late checkout (2:00) and went to a nearby shopping center which had a Dave and Busters. There are also a few parks in the area but we were not in the mood.

Overall we had a great stay! On the way out, the manager mentioned that if I get a survey I should mention the word "penny" and I'll get 8k points. I did get the survey, waiting to see if I actually get the points.

Offline Luvtotravel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 10:54:30 AM »
nice! iinm, hyatts provide many items like bobby pins for free when asked. we got a bush, hair spray, lint remover...
Don't wait for the perfect moment; take the moment and make it perfect.

Offline shulem92

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 11:41:54 AM »
nice! iinm, hyatts provide many items like bobby pins for free when asked. we got a bush, hair spray, lint remover...
I got a shoe horn..its lasted me 4 years already.

Offline zow

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 03:33:38 PM »
Very nice report. Thanks for sharing it.
Great use of the Rite Aid Hyatt certs.
Weekend with spouse can (should) be wonderful wherever you go, even if not far away.

Offline mochjas

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 04:22:12 PM »
Did you get the 8k points?

Offline 3yummyboys

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 12:18:26 PM »
Did you get the 8k points?

Good question, I will have to check