DansDeals Forum > Trip Reports

12 Day Midwest Roadtrip - Arizona, Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming

(1/7) > >>

ShlockDoc:
I'm actually still mid-trip but figured I'd get started with the TR since there is so much going on.  My wife and I have been talking about doing this trip since we were dating. Now, 16 years later it's a reality. We like getting in a lot of activities not necessarily spending a ton of time at a particular place. It's about covering ground on our road trips.

Day One:

We flew into Phoenix on Southwest. My wife and I both have companion pass which cover our two kids.  We rented an intermediate SUV from Thrifty. The only interesting thing from my flight was that as a CCW holder, I decided to bring my firearm with me on a flight for the first time.  The requirements were a little tricky and the desk agent didn't know the rules as well as I did after the time I spent researching it.  It took some time but it worked out well.

Lunch:
We picked up food at Imperial Market and Deli. The restaurant there is pretty run down and not appetizing so we took our food and ate it at our first activity.

Activity:
Hole in The Rock - There are shaded picnic tables and a very short hike, more like a walk up to a small mountain with a hole in it. We figured this was a good way to get the hiking juices flowing for the kids. There was a great view from the top and it only took a few minutes to get up.

Then we started making our way up to Sedona.

Activity:
Montezuma's Castle - This was unplanned, we just saw it on the side of the road.  It's a national park so we bought our America The Beautiful pass here and went in. It's a great way to spend 30 minutes or so seeing these amazing apartment buildings built into the rock that the Indians created hundreds of years ago.  Was interesting to see. 

Then we arrived at Sedona.

Activity:
Bell Rock - A nice sight to see and parking is free with the ATB pass. We walked up the path a little bit the clouds were getting threatening so didn't get too far. 

Activity:
Cathedral Rock - Another nice quick hike up a really cool rock mountain (.9 miles round trip)

Activity:
Sunset over Sedona - We had planned to watch the sunset from Airport Mesa Overlook in Sedona but it got very stormy so we just went to the hotel.

Hotel:
We stayed at a basic family owned motel, Sugar Loaf Lodge.  Nothing fancy but nice and the room had a microwave. We were able to back the SUV right up to the room and unload all of our bags, cooler, etc. It was a great, peaceful night sleep for $70.

I'll continue to add days to the TR tomorrow.

3yummyboys:
Nice hope you're enjoying!! How old are your kids?

ShlockDoc:

--- Quote from: 3yummyboys on August 05, 2016, 07:12:50 AM ---Nice hope you're enjoying!! How old are your kids?

--- End quote ---

12 year old twin boys.

grodnoking:
I plan on doing one of these someday. Hope it doesn't take me 16 years to get around to.

@Yehuda:
Deja Vu

--- Quote from: @Yehuda on August 04, 2016, 03:02:24 PM ---Apparently there's a DDFer there right now.

--- End quote ---
:P

I suggest posting the pics a little larger if you can figure it out. Makes it even that much more "wow". Great start - keep going!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version