Author Topic: Lakewood Baby Left In Car  (Read 13209 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Re: Interesting Articles...
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2016, 08:50:19 PM »
That is a possible interpretation of her where is my baby question although those there at the time seem not to have understood it that way according to the articles.
A normal parent would be frantic, screaming, crying, acting hysterically, etc.
None of that seems to be indicated, though I would love to read otherwise.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2016, 08:58:56 PM »
Having a baby does not automatically qualify you to be a good parent. Being a parent does not automatically give a person common sense and good judgment if they never had it before.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2016, 09:17:40 PM »
A normal parent would be frantic, screaming, crying, acting hysterically, etc.
None of that seems to be indicated, though I would love to read otherwise.
Bingo
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Freddie

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2016, 09:23:52 PM »
There was an article in Ami a few weeks ago with some psychologist who is an expert in memory and when it malfunctions. He is the go-to guy called in as "expert witness" when criminal charges are brought in these cases.

It was an interesting read. Basically, he explains why it really CAN happen to anybody ch"v. It's not a moral failing. It's the nature of the brain.

At any rate, I am mentioning this as it applies to the sugya in general. This specific case in NJ does not sound like she forgot, unfortunately. It sounds like she knew full well what she was doing.

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2016, 09:32:41 PM »
We had this discussion before and not everyone believes it can happen to anyone. I find it hard to believe she forgot about the child when she had other children with her.

I used to judge these parents negatively until I read the pulitzer winning article which explains how tragedies happen even to the most caring and responsible parents. For that reason, I give parents benefit of the doubt.

However too many things in this story lead to me believe it was negligence and not just an unfortunate chain of coincidences that typically leads to these events.
Visibly Jewish

Offline thaber

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2016, 09:35:24 PM »
Just a thought,  and not specific to this case.  Whatever the circumstances may be,  especially where a name is public,  it can be terribly painful for family et al to see the whole world villifying their daughter /sister/mother/wife online. It's already there on the comments section of the news sites and on Facebook,  but it's much more painful when it's from within.

Offline Freddie

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2016, 09:37:04 PM »
Just a thought,  and not specific to this case.  Whatever the circumstances may be,  especially where a name is public,  it can be terribly painful for family et al to see the whole world villifying their daughter /sister/mother/wife online. It's already there on the comments section of the news sites and on Facebook,  but it's much more painful when it's from within.

Good point. I didn't realize the identities had been made public.

Offline JTZ

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2016, 12:47:53 AM »
I used to judge these parents negatively until I read the pulitzer winning article which explains how tragedies happen even to the most caring and responsible parents. For that reason, I give parents benefit of the doubt.
Not judging at all. Just disagreeing it can happen to anyone. I personally don't know anyone it happened to and I would bet most on this board would say the same.
"LESS IS MORE" It is the cumulative effect that kills deals!!! How many times do I have to say this?  >:(

Offline Freddie

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2016, 01:14:54 AM »
That's because thank G-d it's statistically rare.
I personally don't know anyone who was killed by a wrecking ball but don't tell me that it couldn't happen to anybody.

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2016, 01:24:04 AM »
Not judging at all. Just disagreeing it can happen to anyone. I personally don't know anyone it happened to and I would bet most on this board would say the same.

Well after you finish researching the facts for months and write a pulitzer winning story I'll start to accept your opinion of the facts. But until then I'll go with the researched facts. The fact is many caring parents had multiple things go wrong that lead to the death of their child. It's usually a chain of events where everything that could go wrong, goes wrong. Change of routine, dead phone, sleeping baby, distracted by a major personal event, car seat on wrong side, and etc. Read it and then discuss.

Statistically it's also not a common thing to happen, so your anecdotal evidence mean nothing. An average of 37 deaths a year out of 12 million US children 3 and under. So around 1/325,000 kids, I'm not surprised it didn't happen to a neighbor of yours.

Eta: Check out http://www.kidsandcars.org/how-kids-get-hurt/heat-stroke/ and https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/magazine/fatal-distraction-forgetting-a-child-in-thebackseat-of-a-car-is-a-horrifying-mistake-is-it-a-crime/2014/06/16/8ae0fe3a-f580-11e3-a3a5-42be35962a52_story.html
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 01:30:23 AM by yuneeq »
Visibly Jewish

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2016, 07:45:58 AM »
Well after you finish researching the facts for months and write a pulitzer winning story I'll start to accept your opinion of the facts. But until then I'll go with the researched facts. The fact is many caring parents had multiple things go wrong that lead to the death of their child. It's usually a chain of events where everything that could go wrong, goes wrong. Change of routine, dead phone, sleeping baby, distracted by a major personal event, car seat on wrong side, and etc. Read it and then discuss.

Statistically it's also not a common thing to happen, so your anecdotal evidence mean nothing. An average of 37 deaths a year out of 12 million US children 3 and under. So around 1/325,000 kids, I'm not surprised it didn't happen to a neighbor of yours.

Eta: Check out http://www.kidsandcars.org/how-kids-get-hurt/heat-stroke/ and https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/magazine/fatal-distraction-forgetting-a-child-in-thebackseat-of-a-car-is-a-horrifying-mistake-is-it-a-crime/2014/06/16/8ae0fe3a-f580-11e3-a3a5-42be35962a52_story.html

+1000
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Online Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2016, 07:47:22 AM »
I personally don't know any professional baseball players. No one I know knows any MLB players. I'm pretty sure every game is a mirage.

Offline bubbles

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2016, 08:21:57 AM »
I personally don't know any professional baseball players. No one I know knows any MLB players. I'm pretty sure every game is a mirage.
You realize you're agreeing with him, right? Or do you believe that anyone can be a professional baseball player?

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2016, 09:35:58 AM »

So should we just dismiss the fact that some are more forgetful than others? Or for some their phone is their life and they would be lost without it? You can go with what so called researchers say and I will go with real life experiences. You have to take responsibility for your actions. Being to busy, dealing with four kids are not good reasons to me for this happening. If you make your kids first priority I don't see this happening. Does this happen to good parents, of course.

If we are going to go with what researchers say then this country is in big trouble. They love to give a reason for everything instead of looking at the simple truth. For the record this is MHO and not fact.
"LESS IS MORE" It is the cumulative effect that kills deals!!! How many times do I have to say this?  >:(

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2016, 09:38:24 AM »
You realize you're agreeing with him, right? Or do you believe that anyone can be a professional baseball player?
:)
You going to tell me everyone can't be a professional baseball player or the POTUS? You know what researchers will say about that?

Offline David Smith

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2016, 09:40:44 AM »
No, he's bringing out the absurdity in anecdotal evidence.
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2016, 09:56:29 AM »
So should we just dismiss the fact that some are more forgetful than others? Or for some their phone is their life and they would be lost without it? You can go with what so called researchers say and I will go with real life experiences. You have to take responsibility for your actions. Being to busy, dealing with four kids are not good reasons to me for this happening. If you make your kids first priority I don't see this happening. Does this happen to good parents, of course.

If we are going to go with what researchers say then this country is in big trouble. They love to give a reason for everything instead of looking at the simple truth. For the record this is MHO and not fact.

I already said my thoughts about yesterday's story so no need for the straw man. Seems to be the clear consensus in the thread too.

Though I love your admission that you're relying on experience when you've already admitted you have exactly 0 experience.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Boruch999

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2016, 09:59:32 AM »

Stira?

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2016, 10:05:55 AM »
Though I love your admission that you're relying on experience when you've already admitted you have exactly 0 experience.
So let see if I understand this. If I was juggling ten things at once and it happened to me then my experience would make me an expert?

I guess having four kids for 30+ years means no experience. I am only one person but 0 experience is laughable because it didn't happen to me.

Online Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2016, 10:15:52 AM »
No, he's bringing out the absurdity in anecdotal evidence.

Geez, thank you. I was losing my mind for a second.