Author Topic: A little different Maldives TR  (Read 30999 times)

Offline Denverite

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: A little different Maldives TR
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2017, 11:36:55 AM »
Great installment!!!  Brings back some nice memories...

Yeah, every time I come back to the TR to add stuff it makes me want to return!

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2017, 12:32:11 PM »
Going to Ithaa (I think the first time included in a TR on DDF)!

I had reserved cocktails at Ithaa (the underwater restaurant) for the first morning because I figured it would be a nice leisurely thing to do on the first day.  If you do want to go it is almost always sold out so they do recommend always reserving before you arrive.  It isn't cheap, morning cocktails are $60pp but we were willing to pay just to have the experience and imagine people pay $250pp for lunch and $500pp ++ (SO ADD 22% TO EVERYTHING) for a FIXED menu so this was actually "reasonable."

It really was a cool and spectacular experience and I'm so glad I did it.  Normally they offer champagne and some appetizers but they bent over backwards for the whole trip for us about Kashrut and just gave us some cut fruit and fresh fruit juice but they will do whatever you like (I'm sure if you did want something alcoholic you could ask for a beer or whatever you wanted).

We went a little early to sit at the tables and enjoy the view from the above water entrance to the restaurant:

Here is from the outside and even from above you can see all the beautiful fish:

In this pic you can see the diver that was cleaning the glass right before we went in:

They suggest you arrive a little early and they seat you in a lovely lobby where you get your drinks (yes, those are real flowers is pools of water within the table...just another lovely Conrad touch).  ;)
It was at this point the waiter came and confirmed with us about our different drinks and food.

And then you head down the stairs and you cans see that without seeing any fish yet, just they way the light plays on the floor from the sun and water is so beautiful:

And then you sit down and I really can't describe the complete and beautiful sensory experience.  It just takes your breath away to have the water and amazing fish literally all around you and in many instances inches away. 

All in all it was about an hour and I thought it was worth every penny.  Are there other people there with you? Yes.  Are they taking pictures most of the time? Yes.  Was it still an amazing and unforgettable experience, absolutely! 

If I didn't keep kosher and could eat there would I plop a grand on a dinner there? No, but it was so worth us going for cocktails, especially since my DH is not a strong swimmer to really take advantage of the snorkeling or diving.  If you are big scuba diver, it might seem cheesy but for us it was truly a spectacular experience and I apologize that my pictures don't do justice to the amount of fish, the color and sheer movement of all these beautiful creatures swimming right around you.   Because they feed the fish after the people arrive, an insane number of fish, sharks and rays converge all at once and even compared to what I saw on my snorkels, the experience was truly amazing!

Since I'm one of the rare women posting on DDF, if you wanna know if your wives would appreciate going, I think the answer for most women (again especially if you guys aren't going scuba diving) is a resounding yes...if you're going to the Conrad spend the money and go to Ithaa!!

If you need more encouraging (since let's be honest, my pics are not that great...lol...and I'm a techno-loser without a YouTube account to post videos) here is the official Ithaa video from the hotel:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
cver=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2017, 12:43:52 PM »
Wow! I never thought of going to the underwater restaurant with just the possibility of eating fish (and not even that, just drinks!!). I'd certainly want to see it if I was there; great job taking pictures.

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2017, 12:46:54 PM »
Wow! I never thought of going to the underwater restaurant with just the possibility of eating fish (and not even that, just drinks!!). I'd certainly want to see it if I was there; great job taking pictures.

Thank you and I hope you get there!!  Only a few avios and an easy flight from HKG since I think you're going anyway...could you squeeze it in??  ;D

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2017, 12:58:53 PM »
Thank you and I hope you get there!!  Only a few avios and an easy flight from HKG since I think you're going anyway...could you squeeze it in??  ;D
Haha! No, I don't think on this trip there will be time, but maybe on the next one. Who knows what the story will be with Qatar next week anyway?

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2017, 01:05:11 PM »
Haha! No, I don't think on this trip there will be time, but maybe on the next one. Who knows what the story will be with Qatar next week anyway?

That's true, it's so crazy! Are you flying Qatar on any of your legs?

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2017, 01:04:16 AM »
That's true, it's so crazy! Are you flying Qatar on any of your legs?
Nope, just curious if anyone is. I'm not flying any of the ME3.

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2017, 05:16:39 PM »
The Premier Villa at the Conrad...Truly Spectacular:

I'm not gonna write too much in this installment.  We didn't do that much in our 5 days at the Conrad and mostly spent the last three days in the villa.  In the whole OWV debate I would absolutely say that you are TOTALLY MISSING OUT not to pay for even a couple nights.  Just the feel of seeing the water from all around, the privacy and views are simply spectactular and priceless.  Barry Lincoln has some great snaps of the inside of the unit in his TR below, so I'm just gonna post ones of the view and other shots:

http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=64846.30

From the road heading over to the Quiet Island and up to the units:

The highest level Sunset Villa next door:

View from the deck:

From the edge of the private pool...it's THAT private:

Although we could always call a golf cart to drive us across the bridge to the main island, one of my favorite things about the resort was the dhoni (native word for these boats) that ferried people between the islands.  I loved seeing them on the horizon and riding on them.  They were just such a classy touch, adding to the ambiance of the place.

Watching the dhoni's glide across the water at the daily happy hour for HHonors Diamonds at Vilu:

Some nice sashimi the chef prepared for us (he let my husband pick the fish, check the scales and put everything on glass plates for us):

Lovely views and total peace and privacy make the very long travel and expense of coming here totally worthwhile...

Offline BarryLincoln

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, National Executive, Hertz Five Star
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2017, 05:23:58 PM »
Good times!! Exactly a year ago...

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2017, 05:26:39 PM »
Thanks for continuing the TR!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2019, 05:32:40 PM »
Going down a rabbit hole of TRs. This was a great one!
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2019, 12:13:14 PM »
Going down a rabbit hole of TRs. This was a great one!

Thank you!!

Offline shimino1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2019, 10:51:16 AM »
Ah! I just read your trip report again and can't help feeling my hart strings pulling me back to the Maldives.
The only thing I still don't get even after staying in one is the big deal people make out of the OWB.
I think a nice villa on the beach with a private pool is just as good and you get the bonus of sand which can be very fun.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2019, 11:46:37 AM »
Ah! I just read your trip report again and can't help feeling my hart strings pulling me back to the Maldives.
The only thing I still don't get even after staying in one is the big deal people make out of the OWB.
I think a nice villa on the beach with a private pool is just as good and you get the bonus of sand which can be very fun.
There are nice beach villas in thousands of places.
There are nice OWBs in a small handful of places.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline shimino1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2019, 10:03:53 PM »
There are nice beach villas in thousands of places.
There are nice OWBs in a small handful of places.
So what? The fact that it is rarer doesn't make it better.
At the end of the day what do you get from an OWB that you don't get from a beach Villa that makes it worth a couple hundred dollars extra per night?
We stayed in an OWB with a private pool and it was very nice but I think the beach Villa with pool would be nicer.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2019, 10:15:06 PM »
Why travel 25 hours for something that can be had much closer?

Offline yoshyosh

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 147
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2019, 11:19:24 PM »

I enjoyed the aquatic life that is visible from a hammock especially under moon light.

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2020, 07:34:59 PM »
So what? The fact that it is rarer doesn't make it better.
At the end of the day what do you get from an OWB that you don't get from a beach Villa that makes it worth a couple hundred dollars extra per night?
We stayed in an OWB with a private pool and it was very nice but I think the beach Villa with pool would be nicer.

I totally disagree because of two words PRIVACY and VIEWS! 

If I'm in a beach villa that is private (which is what I want to comfortably swim in the pool) then it is going to have a high hedge and no view whereas at my Conrad OWV I had the most stunning view of the water, horizon and sea life AND it was totally private...that is priceless to me (and I think to many women).  :)

Offline IsraelGuy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2020, 09:30:17 PM »
Why travel 25 hours for something that can be had much closer?

Where would you go for beach villas and just as good service/ambiance/privacy/seclusion that's closer to the US? Not a challenge, curious...

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2020, 09:01:51 AM »
Where would you go for beach villas and just as good service/ambiance/privacy/seclusion that's closer to the US? Not a challenge, curious...
Interested as well. Especially if points can be used.