Topic Wiki

Most banks, including Chase and AMEX, pull from Experian in NY and NJ when you apply for a card. If they see too many pulls, they are more likely to decline your application. The goal is to have the bank look at a different credit report that doesn’t have as many pulls. This is basically done by putting a security block, or “freeze” your Experian (or other hard hit reports) account. That way, banks are blocked from seeing it.

That can be done here:
Equifax
Experian
TransUnion

Obviously, you will not get instant approval and will have to call recon and ask them nicely to pull from a different bureau. Some banks will decline to do so and will require you to give them the pin# you set up when you froze the credit report so they can pull it. When you do call up, make sure you have a good reason for having your report frozen. Tell them there is some incorrect info on your experian credit report and that you don't want to unfreeze it until it gets corrected. DO NOT say that there was a fraud alert so you froze it!!!! This will cause them to freeze your application.

CHASE:
Personal- many have reported success in freezing experian and having apps approved. There are recent reports of this not working anymore and customer service requiring the pin to unlock your report so this may require lots of HUCA. One DDFer reports 15 HUCAs (3/19/14) and no luck. It may be dead  :(
If you plan on doing a chase 2BM, you might want to call and get both approved in the same call as to avoid multiple pulls. Alternatively, you can just unfreeze it before a 2/3BM.
AsherO reports that he had them pull equifax and they pulled transunion 2 days later as well. The best way to avoid a double-pull, is to freeze both Experian + another bureau and have them pull the third.

Business- There is limited reported success getting chase business reps to pull anything other than experian. Only one DDFer reports success and even he admits it was a real pain and lot and lots of HUCA-ing.

AMEX:
Unfortunately, it doesn’t work at all for AMEX. They will require your pin so they can pull Experian.

CITI:
In NY, Citi pulls from either Equifax or Experian or both. So by freezing experian, you can get them to pull just equifax thus preventing the dreaded double pull. (Many Ddfers have reported that Citi will no longer pull from another report once the original pull has been made).

A few side notes:
Freezing your report will automatically opt you out from pre-approved offers. Churners like those so you might want to opt back in.
If you have accounts with a bank they can still do a soft pull on your frozen credit report.
If you open a new account, it will get reported to the frozen credit report. The report just won’t show a hard pull.       

« Last edited by Yehuda25 on March 25, 2014, 10:01:00 PM »

Author Topic: Credit Freeze to Improve Your Experian Score  (Read 153166 times)

Offline kivabb

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Credit Freeze to Improve Your Experian Score
« on: April 04, 2011, 03:22:10 PM »
Hi, in NJ just about all the big guys (Chase, Citi, and Amex) pull from Experian. Anyone ever try this strategy and will these big guys really go to to different CA or will they deny you since it's frozen? Article is old, but concept sounds like a good one. Interestingly enough, I read in a realted article there that bumpage doesn't work on Experian for all those who didn't know (I didn't).

http://moundofmoney.com/2009/08/05/use-a-credit-freeze-to-improve-your-experian-score/

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Credit Freeze to Improve Your Experian Score
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 03:31:02 PM »
Try it and let us know what happens!
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline kivabb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 01:05:09 PM »
Would it make sense to assume that if I would try this strategy, the 3 browser method wouldn't work because the pulls might happen independent of each other? I can't imagine their system is set up automatcially that if Experian is not available, then do auto pull from TU.

Offline yaakov s

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 01:18:30 PM »
Thanks for the info , nobody here seems to have tried it yet and many seem to be wondering if it will work ( even though on FT they scoffed at the concept ) so it would be a big favor to try it .

Personally I'm a paranoid person so I cant bring myself to do it.

Offline mclovin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 12:58:50 PM »
i froze my experian account (free for ny residents aound 5$ to undo it) and then tried reapplying for the amex platinum which i was denied for having to many hard pulls. i got a mesage to call amex to finish my application and they wanted my pin to unfreeze experian so they could check my CR. i asked if they could pull from a diff agency but they said no. so it doesnt work for amex but might for others.

Offline yaakov s

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 02:39:56 PM »
i froze my experian account (free for ny residents aound 5$ to undo it) and then tried reapplying for the amex platinum which i was denied for having to many hard pulls. i got a mesage to call amex to finish my application and they wanted my pin to unfreeze experian so they could check my CR. i asked if they could pull from a diff agency but they said no. so it doesnt work for amex but might for others.
Thanks for the info . I don't know how you would know this but does Amex have a record of this app on file for future apps. I don't know if they have their own data besides for what the agency has for when you apply.  Maybe it was brought up during your conversation

Offline Yellow

• View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Hertz #1 gold, Accor Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 02:50:05 PM »
Thanks for sharing. I think I'll do this and try with a citi card.

Offline yaakov s

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 03:02:23 PM »
Anyone looking to TOFTT with chase

Offline mclovin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 05:00:43 PM »
i dont know if its diff from an app that they turn down which they do have a record of

Offline elig770

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 06:44:37 PM »
Based on mclovin's experience with Amex, I would assume the Citi and Chase will require the pin as well. The point of a security freeze is to protect from identity theft. Seeing as when they pull your credit they can see it's security blocked, it would make scene for them to not want to check another credit agency, rather confirm you are who you claim to be; by you giving them the pin...

Offline yaakov s

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 07:02:53 PM »
Based on mclovin's experience with Amex, I would assume the Citi and Chase will require the pin as well. The point of a security freeze is to protect from identity theft. Seeing as when they pull your credit they can see it's security blocked, it would make scene for them to not want to check another credit agency, rather confirm you are who you claim to be; by you giving them the pin...
When I searched the web a few days ago  the general consensus was that what you say will happen( look at my post from April 7). But I coudnt find anyone that actually did it. Now we have someone who actually did it and it didn't work.
But you never know there aren't any ironfast rules , so if anyone still wants to try the other companies kudos to you.

Offline mclovin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 07:16:45 PM »
it works with chase. i applied for the united 30k and was approved

Offline elig770

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Credit Freeze to Improve Your Experian Score
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2011, 08:20:46 PM »
Please share details.

Offline Yellow

• View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Hertz #1 gold, Accor Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 08:21:21 PM »
Which report(s) did you freeze? Chase gave you no problems?

Offline smurf

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2011, 08:24:47 PM »
Where do you live? Does chase normally pull experian in your state? Did they pull another report? Which one?

Offline mclovin

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2011, 08:45:22 PM »
i live in ny. last time i applied they pulled from experian. this time i accidentally applied twice bec my computer was acting weird and they pulled one from transunion and one from equifax. (they denied first app but approved second)

Offline mclovin

• View Profile
Re: Re: Credit Freeze to Improve Your Experian Score
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2011, 09:22:22 PM »
sorry didnt see those posts. i froze experian and tried amex but they wanted me to unfreeze it. so i tried for a card from chase and i saw they pulled from other agency and approved me after about a week.

Offline scwam

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2011, 05:12:12 AM »
Just initiated a security freeze on experian due to CA pulling from them. The CA first pulled from TU, and after 1 day is gone from TU and on Experian instead(?) (saw CK score go from 780 to 776 and back to 780 in 2 nights). I will apply for Chase and Citi soon. But Chase probably will pull EQ anyway.

Offline Saver2000

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2011, 08:30:28 AM »
Just initiated a security freeze on experian due to CA pulling from them. The CA first pulled from TU, and after 1 day is gone from TU and on Experian instead(?) (saw CK score go from 780 to 776 and back to 780 in 2 nights). I will apply for Chase and Citi soon. But Chase probably will pull EQ anyway.

Thanx for the info. Please let us know wat happens with chase bec if it does work I would do it. Btw how much does it cost to freeze report - or does it vary by state?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2011, 12:16:05 AM »
Thanx for the info. Please let us know wat happens with chase bec if it does work I would do it.

+1,

Scwam, please let us know how you fare with Chase? Do you have lots of other recent applications with them?

Btw how much does it cost to freeze report - or does it vary by state?

It varies by state FWIU, but either way, it's only a few $$$.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael