Author Topic: Ultrabooks  (Read 1126 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Ultrabooks
« on: September 26, 2016, 04:33:39 PM »
I'm looking to replace my beloved Sony Vaio Z: http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=3165.0
It's aged well, but it's now over 6 years old and getting too sluggish.

It was really one of a kind. 3 pounds/13.3". Had a DVD drive, replaceable battery, dedicated GPU, etc.

Clearly that doesn't exist anymore, a shame.

-I tried out the XPS 13 earlier this year but hated the trackpad. Screen also seemed a bit small.
-Tried out the XPS 15 but it's just too big.
-Tried out the Surface Book but didn't like how difficult it was to open, the aspect ratio, the bugs, or the magnetic pen.
-Tried out the Vaio Flip, the flip action seemed to scratch the screen and there's no place for the stylus.

-Right now I'm playing with the Lenovo X1 Yoga OLED.
Awesome machine overall. Great keyboard, very good touchpad. Love the stylus slot and that the keyboard retracts when it goes into tablet mode.
Love the 14" screen size, it's a very portable laptop with a generous screen size.
Really bugs me why they couldn't fit a full size SD slot on it though, only has micro-sd. So I'll have to carry around a SD dongle.
Also not sure if OLED is worth the extra ~$250 upcharge.

Should I keep looking? Wait for the 2nd generation X1 yoga? Keep it?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline thaber

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Ultrabooks
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 04:47:37 PM »
I'm looking to replace my beloved Sony Vaio Z: http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=3165.0
It's aged well, but it's now over 6 years old and getting too sluggish.

It was really one of a kind. 3 pounds/13.3". Had a DVD drive, replaceable battery, dedicated GPU, etc.

Clearly that doesn't exist anymore, a shame.

-I tried out the XPS 13 earlier this year but hated the trackpad. Screen also seemed a bit small.
-Tried out the XPS 15 but it's just too big.
-Tried out the Surface Book but didn't like how difficult it was to open, the aspect ratio, the bugs, or the magnetic pen.
-Tried out the Vaio Flip, the flip action seemed to scratch the screen and there's no place for the stylus.

-Right now I'm playing with the Lenovo X1 Yoga OLED.
Awesome machine overall. Great keyboard, very good touchpad. Love the stylus slot and that the keyboard retracts when it goes into tablet mode.
Love the 14" screen size, it's a very portable laptop with a generous screen size.
Really bugs me why they couldn't fit a full size SD slot on it though, only has micro-sd. So I'll have to carry around a SD dongle.
Also not sure if OLED is worth the extra ~$250 upcharge.

Should I keep looking? Wait for the 2nd generation X1 yoga? Keep it?
I have one, love it, and use it everywhere
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=11287.msg1444149;topicseen#msg1444149

ETA: I'm not a big mefunak, but not missing the OLED

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 04:52:04 PM »
Only thing really holding me back is the SD slot and lack of 7th gen processor.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline thaber

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 06:54:17 PM »
Only thing really holding me back is the SD slot and lack of 7th gen processor.
What did you end up with?

Offline dansadvice

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 04:12:00 PM »
Ya, Dan, what did you end up with? I am looking for a 13" 3# laptop as well since mine was stolen. Havent been able to replace what I had at a reasonable price.

Offline Thingywingy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 08:20:15 PM »
What did you end up with?
As of March 2017 Dan still had the yoga X1.
@Dan the Yoga 920 is 22% thinner. Did you consider it? One downside to the 920 is key travel is 1.3mm vs the X1's 1.8mm.

Anyone have experience with the Dell XPS 15? Looking for high-quality with full screen. Not sure I can deal with less than 15 inch.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 09:48:29 PM by Thingywingy »
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.