DansDeals Forum > Tech Talk

Drones Master Thread

(1/104) > >>

Something Fishy:
There's a lot of drone information spread around the forums, but no one place to discuss everything drone-related - until now :D. Use this thread to help figure out which drone to buy, what's a good deal, tips and tricks, etc.

For starters here are links to some existing drone-related threads and discussions:

Trying to figure out which drone to get myself
Some discussion on DJI's newest drone, announced today
Pictures/Video (*You've*) Taken from Drones
Important DJI warranty limitation

Current best options for general, typical use:

(See the above links for some deeper comparisons.)

- DJI Phantom 4: The newest version of the most popular drone family out there. Costs around $1200, very well-rounded bird. Obstacle avoidance (front only) and great range.

- DJI Phantom 3 Standard / Advanced / Professional: The older version of the 4. Quite similar, but lesser range and no obstacle avoidance. The 3 models are quite similar, but the camera quality goes up steadily as the price goes up. $499, $799, and $999.

- DJI Mavic Pro: Just announced today, this seems to be the drone for 90% of people. Same quality camera as the P4, and folds into, well.... not nothingness, but really really small. Like, fits in a water-bottle holder small. Remains to be seen how it performs in the real world, but being that DJI has tremendous experience in drones it bodes quite well. $999.

- GoPro Karma: Also just announced with nothing in customer's hands, this seemed to be the winner - until the Mavic was announced. It folds as well, but is still orders of magnitude larger than the Mavic. It uses a GoPro as the camera, and comes with an included hand-held stabilizer. Specs fall very short, with less than a mile's range, no follow modes, and so on. $799 without a camera, $999 with a Hero5.

- Autel X-Star Premium: Very similar to the Phantoms (it sits somewhere between the 3 and 4, spec-wise), it has many things that are actually better and a few that are worse. Overall I'd rate it as the best option out there at the moment, and I'll put my money where my mouth is: I ordered mine yesterday.

Current promos:

The only thing I'm aware of is that Autel will pay for your FAA Part 107 certification via MIR ($150), should you choose to go that route.

Something Fishy:
DJI also announced today DJI Care Refresh. For $99, you will get priority servise and up to two drone replacements in case of a crash. Needs to be bought and activated no later than 48 hours after using the Mavic for the first time and lasts for a year.

Considering Amex, is this actually useful?

whYME:

--- Quote from: Something Fishy on September 27, 2016, 03:50:26 PM ---Considering Amex, is this actually useful?

--- End quote ---
CMIIW, but I don't think Amex will cover a crash after 90 days

Something Fishy:
Seems that the Mavic won't take filters. Ouch.

ETA: DJI rep confirmed that they'll have proprietary ND filters available "in the doming days".

Aaaron:
Mavic is $749 without remote, no? 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version