Topic Wiki

Google domains $12 a year [year after year, they don't rob you after the 1st year] private registration included

NameSilo.com is usually 8.99/year not just for first year. Includes private registration too.

Author Topic: Website Hosting  (Read 49410 times)

Offline Yisroel Tech

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Website Hosting
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2017, 01:24:04 AM »
Buy the website on go daddy for .99 and transfer it over to zoho
You can't use the free Zoho with your own domain.

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2017, 01:42:08 AM »
But no custom domain hosting for free. So there is no way to have a normal website (other than sitename.zohosites.com) for free with them. Right?
All mine are custom. None are @zohosites.

Offline Yisroel Tech

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2017, 01:56:02 AM »
All mine are custom. None are @zohosites.
I guess it is a recent change for them.

On Google Search it still says that:

But going into the site it does not have this words or anything similar. It says for pricing clearly that this is one of the differences between the Free and the Paid Basic plans:

And when I create a site it doesn't let me publish it to a custom domain, saying that this is a paid feature:

Oddly enough, I wondered why Google still shows that it does give free also for custom domains, and I found that this is still that page description:

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2017, 01:59:58 AM »

But going into the site it does not have this words or anything similar. It says for pricing clearly that this is one of the differences between the Free and the Paid Basic plans:

And when I create a site it doesn't let me publish it to a custom domain, saying that this is a paid feature:

Oddly enough, I wondered why Google still shows that it does give free also for custom domains, and I found that this is still that page description:

Interesting. I'll have a look soon. I seem to recall needing to go a roundabout way to host a custom name.

Offline Yisroel Tech

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2017, 02:13:02 AM »
Interesting. I'll have a look soon. I seem to recall needing to go a roundabout way to host a custom name.
If you can find that it'll be great! I bought a domain recently an using emails through Google domains email forwarding, but I wasn't able to set up a site for free.

Offline Yammer

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2017, 03:31:29 AM »

If you can find that it'll be great!

+1

Offline Z56

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE, Hertz GP, Avis PP
« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2017, 06:30:42 AM »
even a template goes my site.zoho.com no option for free mysite.com
“I have nothing in common with lazy people who blame others for their lack of success. Great things come from hard work

Offline Z56

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE, Hertz GP, Avis PP
« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2017, 11:02:53 AM »
So where can I build a free website and host for free ?
“I have nothing in common with lazy people who blame others for their lack of success. Great things come from hard work

Offline stooges44

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2017, 11:29:18 AM »

Ummm nowhere. But you can build a site for free if you can live with ads
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Offline Yisroel Tech

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2017, 11:30:19 AM »
Seems that only something like https://www.000webhost.com/927755.html which isn't really reliable.

Offline stooges44

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2017, 11:32:22 AM »
Seems that only something like https://www.000webhost.com/927755.html which isn't really reliable.

With a name like "000webhost" I would stay far away unless you're just trying to play/learn

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2017, 11:34:34 AM »
Stay away from godaddy for anything besides registration
Based on personal experience, I would stay away from them for domain registration too.

For years I had a .CH domain which I registered through switch.ch. At a certain point, Switch.ch decided to exit the business of registering domains (IINM they maintain the Swiss equivalent of ICANN.org) and they offered a few alternatives in order to keep the .CH registration. I used GoDaddy, and then at some point this year, I stopped receiving emails on my .CH account. I logged into my  GoDaddy account, only to find out that the domain registration had recently expired. I received no warning or e-mail notification. I tried renewing online, but was unable. I called support, and was told that the domain is no longer available. I contacted Switch.CH and was told that registration recently expired, and only the existing owner/registrar can renew (but GoDaddy told me they can't).

I ended up having to wait 90 days from the expiration in order to be able to register with a different service. I first tried Hosteur.com, as they seemed to offer the best deal, but they turned out to be a scam. Took money, didn't do anything, nor did they respond to any emails or support requests through their website  (I now see that they sent me a response to my support request more than a month after I opened the ticket saying that domain is not available - obviously, since by now I had registered it using a reputable provider). I disputed the charge through PayPal and eventually got my refund. I ended up registering at domains.ch.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline stooges44

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2017, 11:44:58 AM »
I've been using godaddy for years across many of their services. I've had dozens of domains for personal and business use. I even have some sites still hosted on the original plans that have been grandfathered over.  I've watched their evolution over the years from the punky scantly clad women who used to be their marketing to the current much more professional looking brand and I must say I haven't truly had any major disappointments plus I find their support to be excellent.

Just sayin...

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2017, 11:49:25 AM »
I've been using godaddy for years across many of their services. I've had dozens of domains for personal and business use. I even have some sites still hosted on the original plans that have been grandfathered over.  I've watched their evolution over the years from the punky scantly clad women who used to be their marketing to the current much more professional looking brand and I must say I haven't truly had any major disappointments plus I find their support to be excellent.

Just sayin...
Were all the domains you registered managed by ICANN.org, or did you register any domains that are managed by a foreign organization? That might be why I had different experience, for some reason they think .CH belongs to Switzerland, little do they know that it stands for Crown Heights.  :D
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Alexsei

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • Travel & Kivrei Zadikim
  • Programs: COVID-23
« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2017, 04:15:56 PM »

Definitely a recent change!
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Offline Yisroel Tech

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2017, 06:31:53 PM »
Definitely a recent change!
Yeps. Chatted with them and they wrote:

"The description does not seem to be updated yet in Google search results. Zoho Sites changed its pricing on April 06, 2017, and since then, the option to add a custom domain is only available in the paid plans of Zoho Sites. For information about Zoho Sites pricing, visit https://www.zoho.com/sites/pricing.html"

(in a side note, they claim that it's just not updated "in Google" when the fact is that's in there page that still has that description... A website builder doesn't know how to properly update their pages...)

Offline stooges44

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 07, 2017, 12:01:18 PM »

For free hosting, just found this, don't know anything about them so let us know  :)
https://www.instagram.com/fibercloud/
https://form.jotform.us/71568470950160

Offline sharabob

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 07, 2017, 02:12:46 PM »
200mbhost.com free and reliable. You can use your own domain but better off purchasing it elsewhere since they seem to compensate for the free hosting with higher domain fees.

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 07, 2017, 02:15:11 PM »
Yeps. Chatted with them and they wrote:

"The description does not seem to be updated yet in Google search results. Zoho Sites changed its pricing on April 06, 2017, and since then, the option to add a custom domain is only available in the paid plans of Zoho Sites. For information about Zoho Sites pricing, visit https://www.zoho.com/sites/pricing.html"

(in a side note, they claim that it's just not updated "in Google" when the fact is that's in there page that still has that description... A website builder doesn't know how to properly update their pages...)
Figured it was a recent change. It seems that older accounts may still be able to.

Offline Yammer

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 07, 2017, 02:16:26 PM »
200mbhost.com free and reliable. You can use your own domain but better off purchasing it elsewhere since they seem to compensate for the free hosting with higher domain fees.
you used it?