Topic Wiki

Get involved!

Stay Informed:
http://www.takebacklakewood.com
https://twitter.com/TakebackLKWD
Send a text to 40404 saying: " Follow @takebackLKWD " to get text updates.
Send an email to takebacklakewood@gmail.com saying " Subscribe " to get added to our email list for updates.

Attend:
Show up to Township Commitee, Planning, and Zoning board meetings. Speak up to stop the high density building!
All meetings are at the Township Building at 231 3rd Street. More info here.

Donate:
Take Back Lakewood is a grassroots campaign that has thrived despite little funding. With proper funding the campaign can reach far more people, hire a lawyer, and continue to force Lakewood Township to serve it's residents. Every dollar counts!
Donate Here

Other Links:
First Amendment Activist - Videos of meetings and a variety of township info related to meetings, applications, and township officials.
Lakewood Link - Lakewood News
Beware of Fake News

« Last edited by yuneeq on February 19, 2017, 11:48:01 PM »

Author Topic: Take Back Lakewood  (Read 49616 times)

Offline JTZ

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Take Back Lakewood
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2016, 04:24:53 PM »
Bring it!
Unlike some here I do have some standards!  :)
"LESS IS MORE" It is the cumulative effect that kills deals!!! How many times do I have to say this?  >:(

Offline grodnoking

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2016, 04:33:22 PM »

I dint believe you would at this point anyway, the last few developments have been selling a bit slow due to
1. so many new developments opening faster then lakewood growth i.e. people moving to Jackson etc
2. the price being so high and unaffordable and there's a lot less supplemental income from tenants as there's so many available the rates dropped.

I know for a fact in a few developments that opened recently numerous units were sold at cost price or below because the developer couldn't find buyers

I'm sure the developers are a little smarter than that and wouldn't build with no demand.
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline Eliyohu

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2016, 04:36:57 PM »

I'm sure the developers are a little smarter than that and wouldn't build with no demand.
When the developments were planned the theory was people wouldn't be moving "out of lakewood" so quickly thus the "need" for overcrowding

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2016, 04:38:30 PM »

There is very little demand for 600k+ duplexes with no space, if everyone is moving out to Jackson etc.

Offline hvaces42

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2016, 07:10:32 PM »
Unlike some here I do have some standards!  :)
Yelling "fire" in a crowded movie theater is illegal you know. 
Astonished at the depths someone would sink to, in order to get a dopamine hit. Shame on you.

Offline JTZ

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2016, 07:30:52 PM »
Yelling "fire" in a crowded movie theater is illegal you know.
...not if it is on fire.  ;)
"LESS IS MORE" It is the cumulative effect that kills deals!!! How many times do I have to say this?  >:(

Offline takebacklakewood

• Non-Elite Member
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Send a text to 40404 saying: Follow @takebackLKWD to get important text updates.
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2016, 08:27:08 PM »
@take back. I applaud your efforts.

The only way you will have any legitimacy, staying power, or make any real difference is if you put your name and face to your movement.
Otherwise bringing publicity is great, but it won't affect real change.

You need to either run a legitimate, clean, campaign and run for public office, or find someone else who will run for your cause.

Once you have real official power as an elected official, you should be able to appoint normal people to the zoning and planning birds and get this place in order.
There's a very simple reason that I'm choosing to be anonymous.
If my name is out there as the person running this, it's very simple for this to be stopped. I get a call from a few Rabbis, a few threats and warnings that my kids will be kicked out of school, people start losing their jobs and suddenly everything is back to normal and the movement is squashed. If I'm an anonymous person at my computer, there is no way to stop me.

You may ask - why is is fair that I am anonymous and I'm asking you to stand up in public? The answer is that if the public is demanding something together, there is nothing they can do to stop it. If 100 people and eventually more come out together to a meeting and the committee sees the house of cards crashing down on top of them - they need to react to the demands of the public or they will be easily voted out of office.The fact is that most of Lakewood is not happy with what is going on but they all throw up their hands and say it's hopeless.

In just 3 weeks I've gotten all of the committee members to suddenly go on record that they want to stop density, direction issued to the planning board, zoning board and the master plan committee to stop approving variances, the planning board announcement this past week that they will give a hard look at all variances, two applications that would normally be approved were resoundingly denied, etc etc. Members of the Township committee have now promised to revamp the planning and zoning boards.

Do I believe all of the promises that are now being made? NO.
Have we made some progress and at least gotten the discussion going? YES
However we need the public to stand behind these efforts for them to be successful.

See my comment (toward the end) here http://hefkervelt.blogspot.com/2016/10/video-lakewood-residents-fed-up-with.html addressing the many couch quarterbacks who say - this town is corrupt but there is nothing that can be done. There is and there will be!!!

Once enough people see that something can be done we'll get new candidates for township committee etc. I've started with the density which while interconnected to many issues, is the primary issue facing Lakewood right now. If we solve other issues along the way and get committeemen who weren't in office for the past 13 years? Excellent.

So whether my name is Chaim Friedman or Boruch Schwartz or Dovid Yosopuf - is not important. All I'm trying to do is rally together the majority of Lakewood residents who are fed up to collectively band together and bring change.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 08:34:52 PM by takebacklakewood »

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2016, 08:38:26 PM »
I still believe the this can be done better in a positive way, with the backing of many many rabbonim.

You are waging a "war". -Slogans like "takeback" and encouraging showing up demonstratively at meetings can, and are definitely working.. - you will have staying power with this as long as you don't push too far or hard.... Don't speak negatively ever against rabbonim, mosdos etc. Don't say cynical things like "you get kicked out of school etc". - If you do this you will be marginalized and dismissed as a trouble maker...in no time at all.

If you wage a positive, open, campaign with the backing of rabbonim you will be infinitely more successful in the long run.

If you stay positive you won't need to be anonymous, because you won't have that many enemies!

Either way. Keep it up!!

Offline Iz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2016, 08:42:47 PM »
Don't speak negatively ever against rabbonim, mosdos etc. Don't say cynical things like "you get kicked out of school etc". - If you do this you will be marginalized and dismissed as a trouble maker...in no time at all.
+100!

Offline yesitsme

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
    • perpetual talk
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2016, 08:46:57 PM »
takeacktomsriver.com = Antisemite
takeackmonsey.com = Antisemite
takeackKJ.com = Antisemite
takeackboroughpark.com = Antisemite
takebacklakewood.com =round of applause..
be conservative in what you do, be liberal in what you accept from others.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2016, 08:48:00 PM »
+100!
Il add- Its totally not necessary or relevant for this battle...

Offline A3

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2016, 09:04:10 PM »
Maybe being back the Tent guys to scare everyone out.
Alex where are you?

Offline Aaaron

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2016, 09:05:15 PM »
takeacktomsriver.com = Antisemite
takeackmonsey.com = Antisemite
takeackKJ.com = Antisemite
takeackboroughpark.com = Antisemite
takebacklakewood.com =round of applause..

Ummm, do you really not see the difference? 
One is "take back" from a certain demographic = problematic. 
One is "take back" from everybody due to over-congestion = not a problem.

Offline takebacklakewood

• Non-Elite Member
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Send a text to 40404 saying: Follow @takebackLKWD to get important text updates.
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2016, 09:14:15 PM »
I still believe the this can be done better in a positive way, with the backing of many many rabbonim.
You are waging a "war". -Slogans like "takeback" and encouraging showing up demonstratively at meetings can, and are definitely working.. - you will have staying power with this as long as you don't push too far or hard.... Don't speak negatively ever against rabbonim, mosdos etc. Don't say cynical things like "you get kicked out of school etc". - If you do this you will be marginalized and dismissed as a trouble maker...in no time at all.

If you wage a positive, open, campaign with the backing of rabbonim you will be infinitely more successful in the long run.

If you stay positive you won't need to be anonymous, because you won't have that many enemies!

Either way. Keep it up!!
Thank you for the valuable feedback - much appreciated. I would like to appeal to the average person in Lakewood so I don't want to be am marginalized movement.

Backing of Rabbanim - unfortunately I'd be hard pressed to find a reputable Rav to back this. Even with a more toned down message - people will say - You are going to hurt peoples parnassa. You are trying to stop the growth of Torah etc. I've gotten angry emails telling me that every yideshe home is a mikdash me'at and I'm trying to destroy that. I have no such nefarious plans. I simply want responsible building and responsible zoning and planning decisions which unfortunately has not been done until now. I have nothing against BMG but apparently by being realistic that this town has no room for 225K residents, my agenda does not align with theirs. There is so much room in all of the neighboring towns - there is simply no need to squeeze everyone into Lakewood and no there is no housing crisis (ie lack of housing).

Don't say cynical things like "you get kicked out of school etc". I have gotten numerous emails from people telling me that they's love to speak up but they are afraid that they will lose their jobs and have their kids kicked out of school. Unfortunately, the reality is that The Lakewood Scoop can't touch these topics with a 10 foot pole, HH can't send his kids to any schools in Lakewood, The Shopper refused to publish my letter etc etc etc. The developers and real estate guys have a really strong hold on this town and no  movement to stop them can succeed unless it is toeing the edge a drop and has massive public support. Being Mr. Sweetie pie and going to quiet meetings asking the committee nicely to please do something just won't cut it anymore. If they fear that they will be voted out then a fire will be lit under their feet.

I will consider your points etc, but please realize that the time for quiet nice polite requests has long passed. Much damage as already been done and it's too late to stop that but we need to do something about the future.

Again, I'm open to all ideas and suggestions. I'm not doing this for recognition, publicity, public office etc. I'm simply doing this to rally together the public to stand up against what is happening to Lakewood. Instead of just shaking my head and tsk tsking like everyone else has been doing, I'd like to actually bring some real change.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 09:23:34 PM by takebacklakewood »

Offline takebacklakewood

• Non-Elite Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2016, 09:19:13 PM »
Il add- Its totally not necessary or relevant for this battle...
I agree. I do intend to keep things very civil. However, civility has many different meanings.

Is calling for a recall election to bring new blood to replace good ol M&M civil?
Is proposing a different growth plan than what BMG wants civil?
Is calling for many of the members of the zoning board to be removed civil?

Also, there is nothing wrong with people attending the meetings and getting up to speak. This is a democracy and the public has a right to be heard...