Topic Wiki

Get involved!

Stay Informed:
http://www.takebacklakewood.com
https://twitter.com/TakebackLKWD
Send a text to 40404 saying: " Follow @takebackLKWD " to get text updates.
Send an email to takebacklakewood@gmail.com saying " Subscribe " to get added to our email list for updates.

Attend:
Show up to Township Commitee, Planning, and Zoning board meetings. Speak up to stop the high density building!
All meetings are at the Township Building at 231 3rd Street. More info here.

Donate:
Take Back Lakewood is a grassroots campaign that has thrived despite little funding. With proper funding the campaign can reach far more people, hire a lawyer, and continue to force Lakewood Township to serve it's residents. Every dollar counts!
Donate Here

Other Links:
First Amendment Activist - Videos of meetings and a variety of township info related to meetings, applications, and township officials.
Lakewood Link - Lakewood News
Beware of Fake News

« Last edited by yuneeq on February 19, 2017, 11:48:01 PM »

Author Topic: Take Back Lakewood  (Read 130405 times)

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Re: Take Back Lakewood
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2016, 10:17:38 PM »
Is your agenda:

a) a scorched earth, drain the swamp, fight to the death clean up corruption. (aka, HH v2)

b) recognize that we can't change the past (your mantra?), therefore there is no need to blame or bash anyone - including M&M.
Rather run a campaign to raise massive awareness about the scope of the town's problems, and by this apply pressure on the governing bodies to cease and desist from further development.

If it a), you are going to fail and lose a lot..
If b)- you are holdings your nose and working within the current system to affect change anyway..
If so, go to the vaad, go get rabbinic backing. Etc

If you were totally above board and clean, (no negativity), you could even reach out to the Yated for publicity... (Shmuel berinboum should be a big ally imho) etc.
Hh was not drain the swamp but replace one swamp with a different one
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used to start a religious discussion.

Offline takebacklakewood

• Non-Elite Member
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Send a text to 40404 saying: Follow @takebackLKWD to get important text updates.
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2016, 10:20:16 PM »
Is your agenda:

a) a scorched earth, drain the swamp, fight to the death clean up corruption. (aka, HH v2)

b) recognize that we can't change the past (your mantra?), therefore there is no need to blame or bash anyone - including M&M.
Rather run a campaign to raise massive awareness about the scope of the town's problems, and by this apply pressure on the governing bodies to cease and desist from further development.

If it a), you are going to fail and lose a lot..
If b)- you are holdings your nose and working within the current system to affect change anyway..
If so, go to the vaad, go get rabbinic backing. Etc

If you were totally above board and clean, (no negativity), you could even reach out to the Yated for publicity... (Shmuel berinboum should be a big ally imho) etc.
While it is B, and I am working with various members of the township committee and of the zoning and planning boards (all of whom swear that they agree with me and will help out), unfortunately the establishment in Lakewood simply doesn't align with this view.

While I am aware that S. Birnbaum has voiced similar views in his paper, I was told that when people asked him to be more vocal and champion this cause he declined as he didn't want to upset the powers that be and ruffle too many feathers.

Will feathers be ruffled by this campaign? Yes. That is a fact. There is a lot of money on the line and there is no way that everyone will just line up to upzone instead of downzone and stop all of the over-development just because I ask them to nicely without any fear of losing their positions.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 11:34:24 PM by takebacklakewood »

Offline takebacklakewood

• Non-Elite Member
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Send a text to 40404 saying: Follow @takebackLKWD to get important text updates.
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2016, 10:22:20 PM »
While I'm not a conspiracy theorist and I'm not here to scorch the earth, the reality is that it may be time for some new committee members....

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2016, 10:25:18 PM »
While I'm not a conspiracy theorist and I'm not here to scorch the earth, the reality is that it may be time for some new committee members....
Run baby Run!!

Offline takebacklakewood

• Non-Elite Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2016, 10:29:45 PM »
Frankly I'm a bit surprised that you really think sitting down with the Vaad will help.

Many people have asked me - why email the committee? Why get up and speak at the meetings? They all know this already.
My response is that they know it and are doing nothing. We need to force their hand to actually do something about it. From the looks of it we are off to a pretty good start so far. While their promises are encouraging, for many of them it is too little too late and they need to go.

Same goes for the vaad. They have been watching all this happen and did nothing. Will my conversation with them suddenly cause them to act in a way that will hurt all of the influential developers that they have strong relationships with?  Hah!

Offline nucheiner

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2016, 11:37:24 PM »
There are many old alliances and friendships from the shtetl of Lakewood circa 1990 and the present politicians were all installed by those askanim and therefore must still abide and follow they're commands and requests. The only way to clean this up is to totally RESET and bring in new people from the top down.
Bottom line most residents do not recognize even one name on the Vaad. And if you don't know who they are you can be sure they don't know who you are.

Offline Jellybelly

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2016, 11:45:33 PM »
Just got my ballot in the mail today. Does anyone know who this gross guy is that's running against akerman?

Offline MarkS

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2016, 11:47:12 PM »
Just got my ballot in the mail today. Does anyone know who this gross guy is that's running against akerman?
http://www.app.com/story/news/local/jackson-lakewood/lakewood/2016/10/27/lakewood-election-2016-committee-school-board/92764894/

UPDATE: Lakewood incumbent wants to curb growth

'I've been crying to curb it forever,' Lakewood Deputy Mayor Albert Akerman says of the township's explosive growth.

LAKEWOOD Calling himself "the most anti-growth" member of the Township Committee, Republican incumbent Albert Akerman says more needs to be done to slow down development and upgrade the township's infrastructure.

"I've been crying to curb it forever," said Akerman, 40, who is seeking his third term on the governing body. "Now, suddenly, it's becoming in style to say it."

His opponent in the Nov. 8 election, Democratic newcomer Mordecai Gross, 38, doesn't disagree that growth poses a major challenge for Lakewood, but he says he's not in favor of any kind of building moratorium, as some residents have called for.

It's very, very complicated. It's very nice to say, 'Let's slow things down,'" said Gross, a corporate attorney. "There are people who want to move to Lakewood. It's a challenge."

Akerman, a mortgage broker, hasn't come out in support of an all-out moratorium, either. But as mayor last year, he refused to put any zoning change requests on the committee's agenda. More recently, he's called for the creation of an advisory board of residents to study low-cost ways to improve traffic flow, piggy-backing on the recommendations that came from a recent traffic study of the badly congested Route 9 corridor by the North Jersey Transportation Planning Authority.

I see the traffic myself, because I drive the streets everyday," Akerman said. "It's ridiculous and out of hand. Every few months I think, Wow, its getting worse.

Gross said as a newcomer to local politics it's premature for him to propose any specific initiatives.

"I believe that I'm going to add a different, fresh perspective," he said. "I'm definitely ready to listen."

Online avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2016, 11:55:12 PM »
http://www.app.com/story/news/local/jackson-lakewood/lakewood/2016/10/27/lakewood-election-2016-committee-school-board/92764894/

'I've been crying to curb it forever,' Lakewood Deputy Mayor Albert Akerman says of the township's explosive growth.

LAKEWOOD Calling himself "the most anti-growth" member of the Township Committee, Republican incumbent Albert Akerman says more needs to be done to slow down development and upgrade the township's infrastructure.

"I've been crying to curb it forever," said Akerman, 40, who is seeking his third term on the governing body. "Now, suddenly, it's becoming in style to say it."

His opponent in the Nov. 8 election, Democratic newcomer Mordecai Gross, 38, doesn't disagree that growth poses a major challenge for Lakewood, but he says he's not in favor of any kind of building moratorium, as some residents have called for.

It's very, very complicated. It's very nice to say, 'Let's slow things down,'" said Gross, a corporate attorney. "There are people who want to move to Lakewood. It's a challenge."

Akerman, a mortgage broker, hasn't come out in support of an all-out moratorium, either. But as mayor last year, he refused to put any zoning change requests on the committee's agenda. More recently, he's called for the creation of an advisory board of residents to study low-cost ways to improve traffic flow, piggy-backing on the recommendations that came from a recent traffic study of the badly congested Route 9 corridor by the North Jersey Transportation Planning Authority.

I see the traffic myself, because I drive the streets everyday," Akerman said. "It's ridiculous and out of hand. Every few months I think, Wow, its getting worse.

Gross said as a newcomer to local politics it's premature for him to propose any specific initiatives.

"I believe that I'm going to add a different, fresh perspective," he said. "I'm definitely ready to listen."
Looks like a new vaad/BMG planted candidate
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2016, 12:01:28 AM »
Looks like a new vaad/BMG planted candidate
or the newest attention seeker
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used to start a religious discussion.

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2016, 12:17:23 AM »
Ackerman is a mortgage broker.

Selling mortgages is his living.

Offline takebacklakewood

• Non-Elite Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2016, 12:27:59 AM »

There you go. Was this even a discussion before I started this campaign?

Offline yzj

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2016, 12:41:49 AM »
There are many old alliances and friendships from the shtetl of Lakewood circa 1990 and the present politicians were all installed by those askanim and therefore must still abide and follow they're commands and requests. The only way to clean this up is to totally RESET and bring in new people from the top down.
Bottom line most residents do not recognize even one name on the Vaad. And if you don't know who they are you can be sure they don't know who you are.

Remember what happened with the Board of Ed? Everyone said great idea get rid of M I and bring in new guys who are sincere and will represent us and it will solve all of the problems. The new guys had a great idea- bring in a state monitor and the state will give us more money and solve all of our problems. Well the new guys who were supposed to solve all of our problems are gone and left us with a situation that we are suffering from every day. On the one hand taxes have shot up, and on the other, transportarion is a mess, not to mention a host of other problems. It turned out that getting rid of M I who knew the ropes wasn't such a brilliant idea after all. It took us from the frying pan into the fire. So, getting rid of current players and replacing them with new well meaning people is probably going to cause more problems than it solves. The only viable solution is to make the issue impossible for the committee or the powers that be to ignore by demonstrating that a huge segment of Lakewood is opposed to the current business as usual and will no longer stand for the status quo. It needs to be done respectfully but clearly and vociferously to make it clear that the interests of a few individuals can no longer be put ahead of the needs of thousands of Lakewoods residents.

Offline Mordyk

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold and whatever
« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2016, 01:09:03 AM »
why are half the posters on this thread new DDFers?  probably all have same IP addresses.

Offline takebacklakewood

• Non-Elite Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2016, 01:13:56 AM »
I only see 2 new posters (besides my account) and they are not me. They are probably people who are simply afraid to speak up as are many of the people that have emailed me.