Author Topic: Flights cancelled - strike possible in the coming days/weeks at El Al  (Read 90914 times)

Offline yandmk

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 28
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 09:25:21 AM by jj1000 »

Offline mmgfarb

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Flights cancelled - stike posibble in the coming days/weeks at El Al
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 06:24:47 PM »
Can someone please fix the spelling error in the title? It's really bothering me.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline Yammer

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 06:28:19 PM »
Been there done that....

I was on a NY -TLV flight over 10 tears ago when we were diverted mid flight to Budapest Hungary because of a strike at Ben-Gurion...

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 06:28:52 PM »
Can someone please fix the spelling error in the title? It's really bothering me.
You can fix it by adding many posts, eventually you won't even see the title, it's a form of therapy (as is bashing ELAL  ;D)
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 06:30:33 PM »
Been there done that....

I was on a NY -TLV flight over 10 tears ago when we were diverted mid flight to Budapest Hungary because of a strike at Ben-Gurion...
This is different. That might have been LLBG strike, whereas this is an ongoing problem ELAL is having with their Pilot Union.

What a shame that DL cancelled their second JFK-TLV flight, rather than made it a daily flight.
-- Dan

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 06:31:01 PM »
You can fix it by adding many posts, eventually you won't even see the title, it's a form of therapy (as is bashing ELAL  ;D)
I'm on Tapa, it's always there, watching me, taunting me.....
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2016, 06:32:42 PM »
I'm on Tapa, it's always there, watching me, taunting me.....
Just try to practice better focusing. Focus on the content, ignore the title. You could maybe leverage that and implement that during davening...
-- Dan

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2016, 06:33:28 PM »
Just try to practice better focusing. Focus on the content, ignore the title. You could maybe leverage that and implement that during davening...
If only the content were something worth focusing on. Good point about davening though.

Offline yandmk

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2016, 06:40:33 PM »
Done. Sorry 'bout that.

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile

Offline BarryLincoln

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, National Executive, Hertz Five Star
Re: Flights cancelled - strike posibble in the coming days/weeks at El Al
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2016, 06:48:40 PM »
Clicked on the first link and read the 'Details'.  Gotta love how some poor Israeli tried to draft a statement in English.  Either that or they Google Translated.  Either way, it's horrendous...

Offline shulem92

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2016, 07:36:52 PM »

Offline shimino1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2016, 08:41:47 PM »
Hopefully we'll get a resolution one way or another since right now ELAL is headed towards death by a thousand cuts....

Offline ar

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2016, 09:15:51 PM »
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/98247

Hey Dan.
I'm shocked that you are so clueless about what's going on regarding these leased planes and El Al's pilots.

In short, EL AL has a long dispute with its pilot union and it has been getting nasty over the last few years. Pilots are doing crazy things in order to gain leverage. For instant pilots often cancel the last minute leaving Elal stuck with paying more for their (co worker) friends in order to fly their planes resulting in all pilots secretly collaborating to make more money etc etc - real crazy Jewish shtick and fighting back and forth.

So El Al tried to fight back with these leased planes that are not officially operated by LY and therefore they can use other pilots which are not in union..

Bottom line, please do your research and you'll see that it's not so simple as you described it in the DD post.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2016, 09:24:06 PM »
I didn't say it was simple. I said both sides blame each other which means it's just another day at (the $%& show that is) El Al.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ar

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2016, 09:32:04 PM »
I didn't say it was simple. I said both sides blame each other which means it's just another day at (the $%& show that is) El Al.
You wrote:
For the past couple of years El Al has been wet-leasing planes from other airlines to cover their routes.
Not true. They leased these planes because of the pilot issue - not to cover existing routes.

Dozens of readers have sent me horror stories about these airlines and I’ve made several posts about the situation.
Privilege Style is a 777-200 - we can argue about if it's better than Elal's 747
Hi Fly is 2 brand new A330 which is comparable to a LH/LX/TK plane - MUCH better than Elal 747

The pilots blame El Al for charging passengers a premium while shifting them onto low cost carriers that cost El Al far less than flying their own aircraft and employees.

Pilots are upset... but nothing to do with LY charging a premium to customers to have them fly low cost airlines. They couldn't care less about that
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 09:36:22 PM by ar »

Offline YOSEF

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2016, 09:35:27 PM »
You wrote:
For the past couple of years El Al has been wet-leasing planes from other airlines to cover their routes.
Not true. They leased these planes because of the pilot issue - not to cover more routes.
Who said more routes?

They leased them to cover the ones they had, which weren't being covered for some reason (read: pilot strike).
Dozens of readers have sent me horror stories about these airlines and I’ve made several posts about the situation.
Privilege Style is a 777-200 - we can argue about if it's better than Elal's 747
Hi Fly is 2 brand new A330 which is comparable to a LH/LX/TK plane - MUCH better than Elal 747
So people sending him emails etc don't exist???
The pilots blame El Al for charging passengers a premium while shifting them onto low cost carriers that cost El Al far less than flying their own aircraft and employees.

Pilots are upset... but nothing to do with LY charging a premium to customers to have them fly low cost airlines. They couldn't care less about that
You missed the point of that one. Its just finger pointing.

Offline ar

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2016, 09:36:43 PM »
Who said more routes?

They leased them to cover the ones they had.

Thanks. I corrected my mistake

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2016, 09:40:23 PM »
Good grief.
Not true. They leased these planes because of the pilot issue - not to cover more routes.
Who said "more routes."
I said to cover their routes. Other airlines covered their routes for the past 2 years, this is a statement of fact.

I haven't been on El Al, Privilege Style, Hi Fly, or Euro Atlantic. I passed along that I have received dozens of emails from people who have been unpleasantly surprised at the seat, at the crew, at the IFE, etc. This is a statement of fact.

It's a quote from the pilot's union, not mine,
"This is a methodical plan by El Al's management arising solely from business considerations. It is being carried out at the expense of the passengers who pay full fares and expect to fly on an Israeli airline operated by Israeli flight attendants, technicians and pilots. The Histadrut understood that the national carrier had become a brokerage company without passengers being informed and at the expense of all its workers. The blame laid on the pilots is false and baseless, as has become clear many times. In the past few days it has been demonstrated that the attempt to put the responsibility on the pilots is baseless, and the workers and the Histadrut have realized that in order to put an end to the damage being caused to the airline it is necessary to request the declaration of a labor dispute."
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.