Author Topic: When the best time to buy a computer?  (Read 1308 times)

Offline ruffy

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
When the best time to buy a computer?
« on: November 13, 2008, 01:28:29 PM »
Now that their holiday season is coming up,
can you tell me somewhat specifically:

When's the best time to buy a computer;
When are the best deals being offered?

Thanks

Offline Mordy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: When the best time to buy a computer?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 03:42:26 PM »
Honestly, with the computer market the way it is, that's a tough question. The tech field doesn't necessarily have "seasons" the way other goods do, since the trends are dictated by when new technology comes out and not by the time of year.
For example, the core 2 duo chips came out around 3 years ago, and cost a premium when they came out. It generally takes a few years for the next generation of CPU to be released, and so the price of computers drops significantly, even for high-end systems, because no one is buying the same technology. For example, about 2 months ago you could get a Quad-Core core 2 system for ~$400 from the Dell outlet, which was still considered a top of the line CPU.
Now, Intel has finally unveiled the next generation of chip, which they call the i7 processor.
So, suddenly computer sales are going to pick up once again as people buy the next generation, and the process starts over again for the next few years.

Black Friday computer deals as of late are "you get what you pay for". Yes, there are cheap computers, but generally not anything cheaper per-spec than what you could at any point this year.
Mobile Enthusiast Extraordinaire

Visit one of the Tech Blogs I write: http://www.techcitement.com