Topic Wiki

Hello all!
Many of us live, study, or travel to Israel and prefer using US credit cards.
I haven't seen a "master list" anywhere that outlines which stores, sites, government agencies/utilities, or companies decline US cards, so I thought it might be nice to start one.

I've only transitioned my spend to a US card this past week, so there are still plenty of unknowns.
Please reply to the thread and I'll update accordingly!

Here are my experiences thus far:

Declined US card
-Cellcom for monthly bill (however, Discover cards reported working), US cards work for in-store purchases (attempted with Chase CSR Visa)
-BigDeal http://www.bigdeal.co.il (Groupon copycat) (attempted with Chase CSR Visa)
-Club Teva website (if you happen to be a Teva employee  :))) (attempted with Chase CSR Visa)
-Golan Telecom via their own processing (attempted with Chase CSR Visa on 11/19/16). Works with PayPal, just be sure to turn off PayPal's automatic currency conversion!
-Bituach Leumi online (works by phone and at the branch)
-"Kavim" RavKav machines - some machines don't accept Visa or MC (works for Discover and Amex)
-Israel Railways ticket machines (attempted with Chase IHG MasterCard)
-Pope Tobacco in Ashkelon (cheap liquor/tobacco/mens' gifts store) (attempted with Chase CSR Visa)
-חברת החשמל (Electric Company) has lately been rejecting foreign Visa. Amex still works. CSR worked online 12/17

Tentative
-AIG Insurance declined through call center (rep mentioned that they do not accept any foreign cards).  However, my card successfully registered through their online portal and will wait to see if it gets charged properly.

Other
-Cellarix (Israeli social payment app/site).  It let me send money, but Chase categorized it as a cash advance (attempted with Chase Visa)
-Mika gas stations (only lets you fill up 30 shekels worth when paying at the pump, apparently paying inside gets this raised to 200) (attempted with Chase Visa)
« Last edited by moish on December 04, 2017, 10:24:22 AM »

Author Topic: Master List: Israeli companies and sites that decline US cards  (Read 4495 times)

Offline M218

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Master List: Israeli companies and sites that decline US cards
« Reply #135 on: December 07, 2017, 08:01:39 AM »
In general I really think Israeli beauracracy has gotten much better. I think a lot of the stories people tell are outdated
they just have the same head and blood as us :) ;)
Give LIKES not LOL`s

Offline Hjay

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 11, 2017, 07:25:09 AM »
In general I really think Israeli beauracracy has gotten much better. I think a lot of the stories people tell are outdated

Then maybe youíd like to take care of my bituah leumi issues & get the approximately 2000 they owe me.

Offline Luvisrael

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 11, 2017, 07:43:09 AM »
Then maybe youíd like to take care of my bituah leumi issues & get the approximately 2000 they owe me.
how long has it been?

Online Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 11, 2017, 09:08:50 AM »
What's the issue?
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Hjay

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 11, 2017, 12:17:16 PM »
What's the issue?

I sent in my meuhedet receipts for the waiting period & still havenít received the 875 shekel they owe me (many months later).

I didnít have 6 months in Israel on my visa before I went back to have a baby. I was in America for about 5 months so my waiting period started again from when I returned. Because of that my first child as born before my bituah leumi started & they didnít want to give me maanak leida. They said after my second child Iíll receive it as if it was the first child (about 1000 shekel more). Second child is here & I only got 788 shekel.

Offline Luvisrael

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 11, 2017, 03:13:45 PM »
if i paid a meuchedet bill after the waiting period, for services that happened during the waiting period, will i be reimbursed?

Offline M218

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 11, 2017, 07:26:08 PM »
if i paid a meuchedet bill after the waiting period, for services that happened during the waiting period, will i be reimbursed?
i just got back 250 plus 425 for private doctors
Give LIKES not LOL`s

Online Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: Yesterday at 01:52:54 AM »
I sent in my meuhedet receipts for the waiting period & still havenít received the 875 shekel they owe me (many months later).

I didnít have 6 months in Israel on my visa before I went back to have a baby. I was in America for about 5 months so my waiting period started again from when I returned. Because of that my first child as born before my bituah leumi started & they didnít want to give me maanak leida. They said after my second child Iíll receive it as if it was the first child (about 1000 shekel more). Second child is here & I only got 788 shekel.
Want me to call?
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Hjay

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: Yesterday at 10:46:58 AM »
Want me to call?

That would be really nice. Iím just not reallly sure Who to call. I know I can call bituah leumi but I want to speak to somebody who can actually help.

Offline ludmila

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond,Marriott Platinum,SPG Platinum.
« Reply #144 on: Yesterday at 11:51:55 PM »

There used to be an option , instead of the 6 month waiting period you can pay I think it was 11000 or 12000 Shekels and be eligible immediately, does this option still exist?
I was the Best,still the Best, and will always be the Best.
Pele Good,Maradona Better, George Best.