Author Topic: Canadian Border patrol  (Read 1407 times)

Offline moti618

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Canadian Border patrol
« on: November 28, 2016, 04:34:54 AM »
What is required to drive through the Canadian border besides my US passport for visiting and  Business?

Offline Freddie

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian Border patrol
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 05:15:39 AM »
What is required to drive through the Canadian border besides my US passport for visiting and  Business?

You should be fine. I've never needed more. Not even sure what more you could need than a passport. You don't need a visa to enter Canada as a US citizen.

In fact, if you are driving (i.e. coming into Canada by land and not air or sea) you could even use a passport card instead of an actual passport book.

Offline David61

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian Border patrol
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 08:31:25 PM »
The more relevant question is requirement to return to the US, because US border control (which controls entry into the US) has more strict requirements than Canadian border control (which controls entry into Canada).

Most US citizens can no longer return back into the US, from Canada, using only a driver's licence and birth certificate

For US Citizens - entering the US - by land (i.e. driving) or sea
--above the age of 16 need a passport (or passport card, Nexus, or Enhanced Drivers license). A BIRTH CERTIFICATE IS INSUFFICIENT
--15 and younger can enter with a birth certificate (original, photocopy, or certified copy), or US consular report of birth abroad. I.e. no photo ID.
--18 or younger travelling with an organized and supervised school, religious, or other youth group, can also enter with a birth certificate
--Infants under the age of 1, not having a birth certificate yet can travel with birth record issued by the hospital, a letter on hospital letterhead or a letter from the doctor who delivered the child providing details of the birth, including the name of the child, time and place of birth, and parents names.

For US Citizens entering US - Travelling by Air (flying)
--a passport is needed  (or Nexus card) regardless of age. (with the possible exception of a young newborn infant).

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g191-s602/United-States:Crossing.The.Border.html (This page seems to be updated frequently)

FYI - The more lenient requirements for US citizen's to enter Canada are:
--proof of citizenship such as a passport, birth certificate, a certificate of citizenship or naturalization, nexus

That said, A passport may be required by your airline or alternative transportation authority, as it is the only universally-accepted identification document, and is therefore recommended.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/td-dv-eng.html#_s2a

For Passport fees see:
https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/fees.html
(Note that children's US passports expire every 5 year, rather than the 10 years for adults).

These laws are is subject to change.
Hope this is helpful.
(At the very least they'll save me some time, next time I need this info)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 08:35:11 PM by David61 »