Author Topic: CC and Bank Accounts in Israel?  (Read 43073 times)

Offline moen

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: CC and Bank Accounts in Israel?
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2016, 03:52:10 AM »
My Bank Hapoalim account starting charging me fees, I went in there with a new letter from my Yeshiva that I'm a student and they said that they don't give student accounts to foreigners. Any ideas? Do any other banks still do student accounts or do you need to be grandfathered in?

Offline PutANameToIt

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2016, 04:15:52 AM »
Looking too, But there isn't

What's the problem with a w-9? What does it report?

Offline PutANameToIt

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2016, 04:17:05 AM »
My Bank Hapoalim account starting charging me fees, I went in there with a new letter from my Yeshiva that I'm a student and they said that they don't give student accounts to foreigners. Any ideas? Do any other banks still do student accounts or do you need to be grandfathered in?

Bank Mizrachi does, but they make you go to their branch on Ben Yehuda... And their hours are horrendous if you're on a yeshiva schedule (the banking here completely boggles my mind)

Offline emjee

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2016, 04:20:56 AM »
What's the problem with a w-9? What does it report?
Reports your bank accounts and possibly income from america if there is any and they look into it. I by mistake gave mine when I didn't realize what it was but when I asked and they told me o told them I don't have my wife's ssn on me and walked out. Haven't been asked again BH and never gave it. I believe that with doar bank you don't need to . Go with that eventhough it might be a little inconvenient.  It's worth it if u have anything to hide. :)

discount and Leumi still have it last time I chromed,  however it's becoming a new law so all banks beside doar will lose not have the perks of foreign student accounts. Hatzlacha

Offline PutANameToIt

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2016, 04:15:23 PM »
Reports your bank accounts and possibly income from america if there is any and they look into it. I by mistake gave mine when I didn't realize what it was but when I asked and they told me o told them I don't have my wife's ssn on me and walked out. Haven't been asked again BH and never gave it. I believe that with doar bank you don't need to . Go with that eventhough it might be a little inconvenient.  It's worth it if u have anything to hide. :)

slightly confused. Who does this get reported to? IRS? It reports all money as income? Or is it just a statement that "John Smith currently owns $xx.xx in foreign currency overseas" in which case what's there to be worried about?

Offline elimmm

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2016, 05:35:44 AM »
If you read the T&C on a lot of the US issued CCs, it says that you must be a current resident of the US/ residing in the US... or some other term. When you live in Israel, you are considered a citizen living abroad. Technically you do not have any of the coverages, if they see that you've been living out of the US for six months.

Lawyers, am i right???  Anyone have experienced anything based on this. (the fact that they generally approve all sorts of claims from outside US does not disprove my statement, as they aren't looking through your transaction history to see where you are living, especially when honoring a $500 claim) 

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2016, 06:01:56 AM »
If you read the T&C on a lot of the US issued CCs, it says that you must be a current resident of the US/ residing in the US... or some other term. When you live in Israel, you are considered a citizen living abroad. Technically you do not have any of the coverages, if they see that you've been living out of the US for six months.

Lawyers, am i right???  Anyone have experienced anything based on this. (the fact that they generally approve all sorts of claims from outside US does not disprove my statement, as they aren't looking through your transaction history to see where you are living, especially when honoring a $500 claim)
What type of claims?

Offline elimmm

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2016, 11:03:41 AM »
What type of claims?
any claims through CC coverage including all the protections, extended warranty, CDW...  look at the fine print. can i be wrong?
they may not ever look to see where u live, but if you total a car, and they realize u've been living abroad most of the year, they may look over ur history and u'll be out $25,000. scary thought

Offline Zevi16

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2016, 06:51:41 PM »

discount and Leumi still have it last time I chromed,  however it's becoming a new law so all banks beside doar will lose not have the perks of foreign student accounts. Hatzlacha
Leumi still offer it

Offline emjee

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2016, 07:03:12 PM »
Are you stating or asking?

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2016, 11:45:59 AM »
Bank Leumi just sent me a letter saying they are closing are accounts of foreigners with less then $50k. What other bank should i go with?

Offline Hidden

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2016, 12:17:39 PM »
Bank Leumi just sent me a letter saying they are closing are accounts of foreigners with less then $50k. What other bank should i go with?
Even with signing a w9 form?

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2016, 12:51:02 PM »
Even with signing a w9 form?
Yes. I'll upload a picture soon.

Offline emjee

• View Profile
CC and Bank Accounts in Israel?
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2016, 01:26:06 PM »
if you want free banking go with דואר. However it is a little bit annoying since they don't have the conveniences of reg banks. Afaik foreign students lost their student zechutim . Although I'm not crazy about them but bank hapoalim has been pretty good. Hatzlacha .

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2016, 01:30:32 PM »
if you want free banking go with דואר. However it is a little bit annoying since they don't have the conveniences of reg banks. Afaik foreign students lost their student zechutim . Although I'm not crazy about them but bank hapoalim has been pretty good. Hatzlacha .
I just need an account to pay rent and for betuach leumi.

Offline emjee

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2016, 02:11:16 PM »
I just need an account to pay rent and for betuach leumi.
How do you get money into your account? I don't think doar has mobile deposit,  which would mean you have to go in (time consuming). If that doesn't bother you, go for doar. And...emkay.. pay ביטוח לאומי by credit card. I've never done hora'at keva with them BH.

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2016, 02:13:39 PM »

How do you get money into your account? I don't think doar has mobile deposit,  which would mean you have to go in (time consuming). If that doesn't bother you, go for doar. And...emkay.. pay ביטוח לאומי by credit card. I've never done hora'at keva with them BH.

I would need a bank with atm or mobile deposits. And I need the bank so they can pay me not VV.

Offline sammy n

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2016, 02:22:19 PM »

I would need a bank with atm or mobile deposits. And I need the bank so they can pay me not VV.
I have Discount bank and after about 3 months with them they sent me a letter that they stopping the student account and started charging me 9.90 shek a month for my debit card and charge me every time I do something in the bank. Other then that they seem to be ok for me.

Offline emjee

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2016, 02:25:02 PM »

Pm sent

Offline Mr. CC

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2016, 02:27:30 PM »
pay ביטוח לאומי by credit card. I've never done hora'at keva with them BH.
+1