Author Topic: Laptop online  (Read 3254 times)

Offline D.S.

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Laptop online
« on: December 01, 2008, 12:42:11 PM »
Can I go online with my laptop via my cellphone?  I don' mean WiFi.  I have Sprint SERO plan, so I have unlimited internet (my phone is Samsung a920).  Is there anything that would prevent me from simply plugging a USB cable between my cellphone and laptop, and thus being online?

Offline Mikeoracle

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Laptop online
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 01:28:17 PM »
Certain phones are able to be used as a Modem. I am not sure about the phone you mention ( I know most Palm phones are able to be used as Modems) look it up in your handbook or online. If your phone can be used as a modem then indeed there is nothing stopping you from doing so.

Offline Charles The Govenor

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA PLAT AA PLAT
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 01:57:34 PM »
Well you have to add phone as modEM to not get charged extra.

Offline D.S.

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 02:10:14 PM »
What risk do I have of getting charged extra?  I have unlimited internet.

Offline coralsnake

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 05:04:18 PM »
What risk do I have of getting charged extra?  I have unlimited internet.
you have unlimited internet on your phone, but not to use your phone as a modem.
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline D.S.

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 05:47:38 PM »
So, what would I be potentially facing?  A random other charge?  I don't remember seeing in a brochure, contract, etc. what Sprint charges for using a phone as a modem.  I've seen people with Verizon do it - the phone has unlimited internet, so no harm done.  I never imagined there's a charge.  I was just afraid the phone would somehow need to be unlocked or something.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 05:16:29 PM »
So, what would I be potentially facing?  A random other charge?  I don't remember seeing in a brochure, contract, etc. what Sprint charges for using a phone as a modem.  I've seen people with Verizon do it - the phone has unlimited internet, so no harm done.  I never imagined there's a charge.  I was just afraid the phone would somehow need to be unlocked or something.

Basically, they offer you "unlimited" internet on your phone since your phone won't use that much bandwidth (due to browser limitations etc.). However, once they see you're using excessive bandwidth they try and see if you were using your phone as a modem (e.g. via a USB cable). There are also some phones that allow you to tinker with the settings so it hides the fact that you were using your phone as a modem. However, if you are transferring gigabytes of data each month they will probably catch on either way.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Charles The Govenor

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA PLAT AA PLAT
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 04:35:37 AM »
Hope you don't get charged then.

Offline Mordy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 10:11:50 AM »
Sprint charges $15 for personal area modem last I checked.
It uses a different gateway and APN, the idea being that road-warriors sending/recieving huge documents shouldn't slow down or effect the casual phone browsers on the network, and vice versa. Its a different tier of service, uses a separate network layer. This is why unlimited data does not equal unlimited modem access.

If you don't pay the $15 add-on, and just connect using the Personal Area Modem gateway, you get charged per kilobyte (adds up to hundreds or even thousands of dollars VERY quickly).
 Problem is, they don't even offer it for SERO, so you either get stuck paying tremendous amounts for tethering data, or getting errors (sometimes they even disable the gateway entirely so you can't connect on SERO- this is probably better than getting charges without realizing).

The solution, then, is to "trick" your phone into routing your phone's data out to your laptop instead of using a different access gateway like they'd want you to. This is possible, and very easy on Smartphones (Windows mobile actually has connection sharing built in, and Palm has PDAnet which you can buy and install).
On an average phone such as your a920, you can do it but you may have to adjust the multi-NAI setting. Multi-NAI is what forces the phone to differentiate between modem and casual phone data. If you disable that, it won't care and just connect using the standard data plan gateway. It changes from phone to phone, but I beleive the 920 is similiar to the a900 blade, so you might want to check threads like this one:
http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89598&page=2

Mobile Enthusiast Extraordinaire

Visit one of the Tech Blogs I write: http://www.techcitement.com

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 04:38:05 PM »
I always use my centro as a modem and have never been charged for it.
My bro has used the a900/blade and also also has never had an issue with the simple NAI override by obtaining the MSL code from Sprint.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.