Poll

Which icon/logo do you like best?

Option 1
Option 2
A different logo that was submitted (Please specify which one you liked more in the comments)
I don't like any of the logos I've seen so far

Author Topic: [02/01 11AM New Poll] DDMS Redesign Branding - Help us choose A Logo  (Read 120038 times)

Offline wayfe

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: DDMS Redesign Branding - Help us choose.
« Reply #80 on: January 15, 2017, 03:15:29 PM »
Dansdeals will never be an apple, Microsoft or BlackBerry... So let's stop trying to make the logo look like it.

Personally, I want see a caricature of Dan in it.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers which can't be questioned."
— Richard Feynman

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #81 on: January 15, 2017, 03:23:58 PM »
You can always say Apple, BlackBerry, Microsoft, none have any connection to what they actually do with the name or logo. However in the marketing world is accepted that the logo and names should be synonymous to what you actually do.

However Apple logo is an apple (which you could say is their name), Microsoft logo has their full name, when they shifted focus to the Windows platform, the logo somewhat represents that, and BlackBerry (which used to be Research in Motion and had RIM in their logo, and IINM the logo had a motion theme to it) current logo is kind of a synthesis of a B (or two B's) to be shaped like some kind of a berry.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Yammer

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 15, 2017, 03:33:51 PM »
However Apple logo is an apple (which you could say is their name), Microsoft logo has their full name, when they shifted focus to the Windows platform, the logo somewhat represents that, and BlackBerry (which used to be Research in Motion and had RIM in their logo, and IINM the logo had a motion theme to it) current logo is kind of a synthesis of a B (or two B's) to be shaped like some kind of a berry.
I stand corrected. I meant what they do.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 15, 2017, 04:09:12 PM »

I like the infinity theme  of 2-3 and 3-2, now if only you can get nice colors...
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Baruch

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 15, 2017, 04:12:54 PM »
Yep. The colors are terrible.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #85 on: January 15, 2017, 04:35:42 PM »
I stand corrected. I meant what they do.
I think the BB and MS logos do have somewhat of a hint of their focus. The BB logo reminds of the device and it's keyboard, the MS logo indicates Windows.
-- Dan

Offline as2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 15, 2017, 04:38:31 PM »
I think the BB and MS logos do have somewhat of a hint of their focus. The BB logo reminds of the device and it's keyboard, the MS logo indicates Windows.
True which goes to show, a logo can reflect one aspect of a company/website/business etc. 
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 15, 2017, 04:49:13 PM »
True which goes to show, a logo can reflect one aspect of a company/website/business etc.
True.

Based on my posts above, I would suggest considering putting the full site name DansDeals or DansDeals.com in the logo. What else goes there is almost immaterial, though I think it's up to Dan to try and synthesize an idea of what HE feels his site/company is about, and possibly convey that, if subliminally, in the logo.
-- Dan

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #88 on: January 15, 2017, 04:52:35 PM »
True.

Based on my posts above, I would suggest considering putting the full site name DansDeals or DansDeals.com in the logo. What else goes there is almost immaterial, though I think it's up to Dan to try and synthesize an idea of what HE feels his site/company is about, and possibly convey that, if subliminally, in the logo.
That would make it difficult to do this
Also have to explain that this logo in the bookmark people use to save DD and it is how they will navigate between tabs and be able to quickly find DD.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline as2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 15, 2017, 04:56:56 PM »
That would make it difficult to do this
Well, there can be one for the tab and one as a header for the MS and anything else
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 15, 2017, 05:00:58 PM »
Well, there can be one for the tab and one as a header for the MS and anything else
+1
As it currently is!
-- Dan

Offline Suave

• DansDeals Developer
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • SWIZU Web Development
  • Programs: Photoshop
« Reply #91 on: January 15, 2017, 05:03:21 PM »
How about a happy wallet surrounded by the words DansDeals.com?

Or better yet, have Dan try to synthesize into very short description what his site is all about, then try to brainstorm around that for a logo.

With all due respect, if you look at http://www.unifiedmediallc.com/blog/2011/02/top-fortune-500-logos-deconstructed/ you will see that most logos actually have the full company name, and design actually goes beyond it. Very few companies will use initials for the logo (GM - but they are known by that name - if I'm not mistaken, the only one that has initials which is not commonly known by the initials, except to stock investors, is ADM).
I am not sure how much background you have in branding, although it does seem you are pretty knowledgeable - either way I would not want this thread to turn into an argument....

The link you provided is from 2011, If you were to filter out fortune 500 companies to web-only brands like publishers, blogs, social networks - you will see that the majority of them have found a way to have a one letter logomark represent their brand.

For instance, I looked at my phone and say that over half of my app icons are just 1/2 letters vs a pictograph or icon.

When it comes to web branding, the approach is a bit different. You must take brand cohesion and visual identity into consideration:
Where will the logo display?
App icon, favicon, social network profile photos, bookmarks, emails, 3rd party sites, etc..

When do users NEED the logo to be clean & concise?
When scrolling through facebook feeds, switching between taps on desktop browsers, clicking on the bookmarks bar, or on mobile device home screens...

Here are some brands I use or identify with as a traveler and tech aficionado:

DDMS Built with ♥ by SWIZU

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #92 on: January 15, 2017, 05:11:59 PM »
I am not sure how much background you have in branding, although it does seem you are pretty knowledgeable - either way I would not want this thread to turn into an argument....

The link you provided is from 2011, If you were to filter out fortune 500 companies to web-only brands like publishers, blogs, social networks - you will see that the majority of them have found a way to have a one letter logomark represent their brand.

For instance, I looked at my phone and say that over half of my app icons are just 1/2 letters vs a pictograph or icon.

When it comes to web branding, the approach is a bit different. You must take brand cohesion and visual identity into consideration:
App icon, favicon, social network profile photos, bookmarks, emails, 3rd party sites, etc..

When scrolling through facebook feeds, switching between taps on desktop browsers, clicking on the bookmarks bar, or on mobile device home screens...

I don't disagree with that but you do need to look past the double d. You are limiting yourself.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 15, 2017, 05:15:11 PM »

Definitely not trying to argue, but rather make constructive comments.

After I posted, I did realize that it was a little dated, and you do have a strong point about web-branding vs traditional branding.

I am 100% with you on brand cohesion. I guess that's one of my pet-peeves, when there's no brand cohesion it drives me insane, and IMHO looks very unprofessional and lacking of SELF-RESPECT. Unfortunately, if you look at the current DDMS, sometimes it shows up with the old banner, sometimes with the new one, and on m.dansdeals.com something totally different, and the icon in the browser tab is also different.

The main gist of my suggestion is to think a little differently, and maybe have something other that the two D's as the logo/pictograph/icon.
-- Dan

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 15, 2017, 05:15:13 PM »

They all have 2 logos. A full logo, and then a letter/symbol to use for an app or favicon

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 15, 2017, 05:18:46 PM »
There's also some science involved with color selection.

Different colors are said to convey different messages. For example, you will notice that many financial companies use Blue, and Green is probably second to that. You can do some google searching about what colors convey, and your head will spin with different types of information.

I am by no-means a professional designer, but I think I do have an eye for pleasing aesthetics, and have been involved in print, as well as web publishing/design (in a limited capacity, working on my own projects).
-- Dan

Offline Suave

• DansDeals Developer
    • View Profile
    • SWIZU Web Development
« Reply #96 on: January 15, 2017, 05:24:10 PM »
They all have 2 logos. A full logo, and then a letter/symbol to use for an app or favicon
Obviously, but most of the full logos are just nice sans-serif font treatments

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 15, 2017, 05:24:17 PM »
There's also some science involved with color selection.

Different colors are said to convey different messages. For example, you will notice that many financial companies use Blue, and Green is probably second to that. You can do some google searching about what colors convey, and your head will spin with different types of information.

I am by no-means a professional designer, but I think I do have an eye for pleasing aesthetics, and have been involved in print, as well as web publishing/design (in a limited capacity, working on my own projects).
Color is from the abcs of marketing, and is the reason although I'm not loving the green it's known to be a happy/ comfy color.

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 15, 2017, 05:25:21 PM »
Obviously, but most of the full logos are just nice sans-serif font treatments
Correct, but have the full name in them. I was referring to that.

Offline Suave

• DansDeals Developer
    • View Profile
    • SWIZU Web Development
« Reply #99 on: January 15, 2017, 05:26:38 PM »
Correct, but have the full name in them. I was referring to that.
Lol, obviously the full logo would have the full name in it....