Author Topic: "In Search of the Menehune" - Benjie1305's Trip to Kauai (DL J, UA J)  (Read 43716 times)

Offline benjie1305

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
Re: "In Search of the Menehune" - Benjie1305's Trip to Kauai (DL J, UA J)
« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2017, 12:30:08 PM »
I thought the rain and flooding I faced in the North was bad, but your description makes me glad mine wasn't any worse. At one point, we had to drive across was had become a small river crossing the road (right before Ke'e). Not fun.

Did you go to Queen's Bath on another day or did you not get a chance to go? Was a great highlight of our trip.

We also crossed a river-like flood on our way out of Ke'e after dark. It was quite the fright at first but we managed. But yes, rain over there ain't fun to deal with.

I went down to Queen's Bath on our full day over in the North. Patience, and you will read about it :)
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline Moshe123

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2017, 01:35:14 PM »
Amazing read!

Offline davidmal

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 239
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2017, 01:37:04 PM »
twins
-DMC
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it ~Ferris Bueller"

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 21, 2017, 02:19:55 PM »
Amazing read!

twins

Careful there, that's my girlfriend you are talking about!
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 22, 2017, 05:00:35 PM »
Thursday, January 5th

Thursday was a relaxing day for us. While we were split up for part of the morning, we did chill for the rest of the day and decided to take it easy after several long and tiring days.

The day started in the early AM when we had our free shoot with the GHK photo staff. We had the most wonderful woman as our photographer. So warm, funny and charming; we really enjoyed her and could tell how she brought out the best in us for the shoot. She was telling us how they only recently decided to move - as a family of five - to Kauai to fulfill their dream and change up their year long routine. Very cool and impressive to just pick up and leave.

To cut to the chase, she is absolutely awesome and fun to be around. She took some stunning pictures of us during Sunrise and I can only recommend her. I won't go into too much detail but she was so awesome that when it came to reviewing the pictures and going through what we liked and wanted considering their astronomic prices, she cut us a deal we couldn't refuse. I have since told her that Ill happily fwd her contact info to people staying at the GHK and in the area and pitch her for personal sessions instead. She will still take you to the same spots and give you the time needed but it will be at a much better price then going through the GHK. PM me for details as Id love to give her business on the Poipu side of the island.

[Disclaimer: Choose Sunrise as opposed to Sunset. A) Your window to get good shots is significantly better in the morning with the lighting. The Sun WILL come out. B) You are fighting with way less people in regards to beach real estate and good photo shooting spots. C) It is early in the morning and doesn't mess with the rest of your day]

After that was done it was time to split up for the morning. A few weeks earlier - knowing that I wanted to do Zip-lining while there - I found a good deal on Groupon for an 8-line Tour via Skyline Eco Adventures. It cost me $109.50 + 8% Ebates at the time to make for a pretty good deal that I snagged up. As you all know by now, that was not going to be something my wife was really into, so I headed out around 9am for my 10am tour.

I was so proud of myself with my selfie stick, GoPro and Head strap and not having to go for their "rentals" like everyone else there who only had their cellphones on them!  :D

After getting equipped and into the Van we drove about 15 minutes to the off-road facility that is used by them for all their different lines they have. It actually was my first time zip-lining and I thoroughly enjoyed it. They have a variety of lines from short to long with different views and ways to jump off that turned it into a lot of fun. Also, the instructor looked at me for quite some time before he was like "Did you do Jack Harter in the last few days?" And after saying yes, he was like "I thought I remembered saving someones GoPro Pre-Departure that looked just like you" :)

While I can't comment as to them being the best on Kauai and them not offering speciality Zip-lining like Superman or backwards, I did find them very good value for the price, very friendly and attentive and still lots of fun.

Once I got back to the hotel we decided to pack our bags and head over to Poipu Beach for some snorkeling and relaxing at the beach. Once we had parked at Poipu and were ready to hit up the beach, from the corner of my eye I noticed this place everyone was flocking to: "Brennecke's Beach Broiler"

Sounding like a fun place we decided to hit them up first before heading to the beach. Sure enough, their samplers didn't disappoint and an hour later we were off to the beach.  :D

It was then time to head over to Nukumoi's Surf Rental to get my snorkeling gear for the afternoon and a quick $6 later I had fins and a mask.

Mandatory Six-Pack Show-Off

Then it was time to hit the water together with 40,000 other people.  :-\ As I kind of figured, Poipu - while it has snorkeling - really does not have anything great to offer and is always crowded due to its kid-friendly nature and its proximity to the resorts. The real gem when it comes to snorkeling on Kauai hands down is Anini Beach. To all those going, check it out. It is heaven.

After some diving and exploring it was time to hit up the local soccer game. I probably brought the average age of the group up to 10  ::)

We then returned to the hotel, got ourselves some Southern Fried Chicken for dinner (One portion will be enough for two. Trust me.) and fell asleep to some HGTV. Well I did. My wife is obsessed with anything and everything that channel has to offer. How? Beats me.

The next day was very fun as we spent it in its entirety in the North..

Work hard, Play harder!

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 22, 2017, 05:36:23 PM »
Really impressed you're finishing the TR. So many here just never get around to it...

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
Really impressed you're finishing the TR. So many here just never get around to it...

Part of what is so impressive about you knocking it out consistently in one sitting so fast.

It's hard when there is a lot going on and the trip becomes more and more distant but I try to just tackle it day by day and with every segment I feel more ridiculous thinking that I might not finish it which just pushes me to get it done (eventually).
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
Part of what is so impressive about you knocking it out consistently in one sitting so fast.

It's hard when there is a lot going on and the trip becomes more and more distant but I try to just tackle it day by day and with every segment I feel more ridiculous thinking that I might not finish it which just pushes me to get it done (eventually).
That's exactly why I write it as soon as I can, preferably on the ride home. I may not get around to adding pics, formatting and posting it right away, but at least I have it written. Also my wife hates when I post it over a few days or even a few hours where people can add comments in between the posts. She prefers it to be posted consecutively, which is why I try to wait until the entire thing is done (she proofreads it) and then I'll post it in the middle of the night East Coast time to limit the comment possibilities.

Great job though!

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
That's exactly why I write it as soon as I can, preferably on the ride home. I may not get around to adding pics, formatting and posting it right away, but at least I have it written. Also my wife hates when I post it over a few days or even a few hours where people can add comments in between the posts. She prefers it to be posted consecutively, which is why I try to wait until the entire thing is done (she proofreads it) and then I'll post it in the middle of the night East Coast time to limit the comment possibilities.

Great job though!

Why do comments bother her?
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
Why do comments bother her?
It's harder to read the whole thing at once. She doesn't like scrolling through posts or even pages of comments before continuing.

Offline davidmal

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 22, 2017, 06:48:09 PM »
Also my wife hates when I post it over a few days or even a few hours where people can add comments in between the posts.
tell your DW that's what the Wiki is for.
-DMC
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it ~Ferris Bueller"

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 22, 2017, 06:50:56 PM »
tell your DW that's what the Wiki is for.
It's still harder to keep opening the wiki, especially on Tapa.

Offline davidmal

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 22, 2017, 06:51:30 PM »
It's still harder to keep opening the wiki, especially on Tapa.
TR's should never be read in Tapa.
Or on a cell phone!
-DMC

Offline davidmal

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 22, 2017, 06:52:31 PM »
TR's should never be read in Tapa.
Or on a cell phone!
Respect the Photographer!
-DMC

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 22, 2017, 06:53:02 PM »
Respect the Photographer!
Dude, she was there. She doesn't need to see the pics in the TR. (She doesn't read other people's TRs.)

Offline davidmal

• View Profile
Dude, she was there. She doesn't need to see the pics in the TR. (She doesn't read other people's TRs.)
Lol
-DMC

Offline 12HRS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile

Great job though!

Post on erev Shabbos. This place is dead

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
Post on erev Shabbos. This place is dead
No kidding.

Offline thaber

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile