Author Topic: "In Search of the Menehune" - Benjie1305's Trip to Kauai (DL J, UA J)  (Read 43738 times)

Offline benjie1305

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
Re: "In Search of the Menehune" - Benjie1305's Trip to Kauai (DL J, UA J)
« Reply #100 on: March 13, 2017, 04:08:30 PM »
Friday, January 6th

Today - as you all should know by now - was another early day. Not so much because we happened to be up early but because we wanted to spend the day up North while still having to manage to be back for Shabbes in time. I didn't want to have to regret skipping stuff I wanted to do (and see) because I didn't manage my time efficiently so we got out and about early.

Thank G-d we hit the perfect day with sunshine wherever we looked and after putting down the roof of the convertible we were off to Ke'e Beach. I really wanted to do part of the Kalalau trail and while doing so my wife was going to chill at the beach for a little. My original plan was to hike all the way to the Hanakapi'ai Falls but being that that would take up a good 4-5 hours RT, that was not going to happen without my wife hiking with me (which she wasn't ever. ever. gonna do). So I decided that Hanakapi'ai Beach was going to be my goal for this trip.

Loving One-Way bridges so much more in the sunshine

I also wanted to be like one of those cool Youtube adventurers and actually filmed my entire hike with my GoPro with live commentary. I thought I was doing a good job until I uploaded all my content onto my laptop and my wife started laughing hysterically. What did I do wrong? Was the volume not working? Or the camera off the whole time? Neither. For the first 35 minutes, my camera was basically 3/4 covered by the 'not so skinny' lady's butt in front of me. #Fail

Either way the hike was very slippery with several parts being blocked off by construction workers that were actively working on the trail. Don't forget, there was heavy rain just days before which directly impacted the trail (obviously). As such I encourage anyone that wants to hike the trail to always check-in beforehand to ensure that the trail is open the day of the hike. While it was open the day I went, 20 minutes in, several workers did stop us all to tell us where our hike would end  for the day (if we listened) as it wasn't safe for us to continue. Sadly that was before the beach and - what must be a surprise to you all - for once, I listened.

After taking a nice little dip in Ke'e followed by a snorkeling attempt which yielded zero noteworthy appearances, I dried myself off and we made our way over to Cannons Beach. There is no reef protecting Cannons so swimming - especially in the Winter - is a major major No-No. Many local surfers prefer the break at Cannons over the one at Tunnels (plus more seclusion as less tourists hang out there) and you can watch some fun waves breaking and surfers getting nailed.

What a life. Just surfs all day.

This was a small one. Waves were in the 10ft. range that day

After that it was time to check out the Hanalei neighborhood. You can't miss it. Just make sure your window is down and you'll know you are there as soon as the smell of fresh pot takes over the air.

Hanalei Beach

Hanalei Peer

Kids having fun. All day every day.

From there we went to check out Princeville. What a beautiful area. I would totally get myself a second home there if it wasn't for the ridiculous prices which remind me a lot of Long Island. Can't find a single 4BR for under $1MM  :(

Princeville Golf Course

After finding parking it was time to head down to Queen's Bath. PSA: Either you use real hiking shoes or go barefoot. With anything else such as sneakers and/or flip flops, you run a real risk of hurting yourself due to the very slippery terrain. If you are within a day or two of rain, the mud makes it even more insanely slippery.

Major Flooding ahead

This commercial was partially shot on my way down to Queen's Bath. Boy did they hold us all up.

Youtube Fame

After watching the craziness unfold a bit it was time to make my way back to the car. While I would have loved to jump in, it didn't take more then 2 minutes of wave watching to see how that would have ended. Now I have to make sure to come back in the summer at one point to swim in there.

It was starting to get late and we thus decided not to actually enter the light house but to merely spend a few minutes by the observation area checking out the views and enjoying the breeze.

Kilaeua Lighthouse

We also ran into a bird watcher who showed us some stunning pictures but after displaying these man's tools to Something Fishy,SF wasn't very impressed.

It was finally time to head home but not before stopping off at Banana Joe's. This place is THE happening joint. And their Frosties are sooo good. Basically a champion juicer they only use for fruit and take frozen fruit (when we came they only had pineapple) and throw it in there creating an ice cream like consistency which is delicious and refreshing. They also have a variety of local fruits such as Rambutan and Egg fruit which looked delicious.

This was it for our day. We finally got home with around an hour to spare before shabbes. Enough time to shower and watch a bit of TV before our food - that we had sent to be warmed up while on the road - was delivererd to us. Finally my wife got what she wanted: A full day with me just hanging out around the hotel.  ::)

While on the topic of North-shore, here is my take on staying there for a few days while in Kauai:

If you are into lush nature, great hiking, lesser tourists and many amazing secluded beaches along the way, I would encourage you to stay up North for 2-3 days if you are in Kauai for at least a week. If I came to Kauai again with my kids or by myself I would do exactly that because I feel like there is so much Id like to do up North without feeling rushed or making multiple trips up there. Day Trips are - without traffic - at least 90 minutes each way. That already cuts into your day severely and you will right away feel a certain sense of "rushing" as opposed to fully enjoying it knowing that time is way less of the essence. You can AirBnB it if you don't want to spend a lot of money on hotels and can really take in a completely different side of Kauai. Again, that is my opinion and is very heavily pegged to the fact that I really enjoyed the North and could spend a lot more time up there.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 04:12:35 PM by benjie1305 »
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 13, 2017, 04:20:37 PM »
What a contrast from your first day on the north side. The weather looked perfect!

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 13, 2017, 11:06:03 PM »
What a contrast from your first day on the north side. The weather looked perfect!

Complete opposite! It was actually amazing!
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #103 on: March 13, 2017, 11:50:10 PM »
I didn't want to have to regret skipping stuff I wanted to do (and see) because I didn't manage my time efficiently so we got out and about early.

This is my only gripe about a Hawaiian vacation - so much to do and so little time to do it, that it could actually be tiring :D. That's why I relish the 2-day Shabbosim I hold there - feels amazing to just relax in an amazing place and marinate.

I also wanted to be like one of those cool Youtube adventurers and actually filmed my entire hike with my GoPro with live commentary. I thought I was doing a good job until I uploaded all my content onto my laptop and my wife started laughing hysterically. What did I do wrong? Was the volume not working? Or the camera off the whole time? Neither. For the first 35 minutes, my camera was basically 3/4 covered by the 'not so skinny' lady's butt in front of me. #Fail

ROFL

For next time - Rule #1 when using a GoPro: review your framing before you start the actual recording, either on the screen (if your model has one), or on your phone. And check it periodically too.
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 14, 2017, 10:20:15 AM »
This is my only gripe about a Hawaiian vacation - so much to do and so little time to do it, that it could actually be tiring :D.

Could? Most certainly is. Its the one thing my wife isn't so fond of. She is literally dead at each end of the day when Im the one planning trips :P. We are opposites. I feel like I had a great vacation if when I return am fully exhausted. She feels like it was great when she is fully relaxed. Im a Contrarian I guess.

That's why I relish the 2-day Shabbosim I hold there - feels amazing to just relax in an amazing place and marinate.

I didn't but if I did, Id want to spend a 2-day on the North shore next time. Must be a ton of fun. 

For next time - Rule #1 when using a GoPro: review your framing before you start the actual recording, either on the screen (if your model has one), or on your phone. And check it periodically too.

Ugh. You tell me all this now?!  :P ::)
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline Joe4007

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
Finally got around to catch up. Great TR!

We actually had an ocean view suite with the same layout as your first garden suite.

And yes, it gets real cold on a doors off helicopter ride, but it's sure worth it. What seat did you have?

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
Finally got around to catch up. Great TR!

And yes, it gets real cold on a doors off helicopter ride, but it's sure worth it. What seat did you have?

Thanks! Agreed, it was indeed worth it!

Second Row, Right Side.
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline Joe4007

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
Thanks! Agreed, it was indeed worth it!

Second Row, Right Side.

Nice. DW and I where in the front with myself on the right.

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
Nice. DW and I where in the front with myself on the right.

Yeah. Anything but the middle seat in front is basically awesome.
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline SSLPhD

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Yeah. Anything but the middle seat in front is basically awesome.
I sat front right next to my pre-teen daughter and felt like I was halfway out the doorway the whole time.
44/50, 46/63

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
I sat front right next to my pre-teen daughter and felt like I was halfway out the doorway the whole time.

Second row I certainly didn't feel like I was halfway out the doorway. Actually felt very secure in my seat even when leaning forward to get some better pictures.
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline davidmal

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 239
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 14, 2017, 03:46:44 PM »
In terms of you and your wife's vacation views,

Next time leave the last day to do nothing but relax.

Maybe it would be a nice balance.
-DMC
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it ~Ferris Bueller"

Offline tageed-lee

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 73
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 14, 2017, 05:30:10 PM »

That's what we do... It leaves a great taste in both of our minds when we leave and reflect.

ETA: Nice installment! U should have gotten into the commercial for all your hard work lol
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 06:23:14 PM by tageed-lee »

Offline mgoldhammer18

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: American Airlines, Citi thank you, British Avios, Hilton, SPG, AMEX Platinum, Jetblue
« Reply #113 on: March 14, 2017, 06:17:27 PM »
Nice installment.  I remember those one lane bridges; could not believe it when I first saw it.

Offline SSLPhD

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Second row I certainly didn't feel like I was halfway out the doorway. Actually felt very secure in my seat even when leaning forward to get some better pictures.
Did your pilot tilt the helicopter at the top of the falls in Wai'ale'ale Crater?  Ours said he was going to show us his favorite view.   :)  Nothing but the seatbelt between me and the falls.
44/50, 46/63

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 15, 2017, 01:53:04 PM »
In terms of you and your wife's vacation views,
Maybe it would be a nice balance.

You haven't read about my last day yet. Furthermore, we do a good chunk of relaxation. I am certainly not worried about our balance as we make sure to get a good chunk of both in. My wife just happens to like a lot of relaxation but again, we mix it up and are both very happy with the way our vacations turn out. All about compromises.

ETA: Nice installment! U should have gotten into the commercial for all your hard work lol

I clearly was. And got cut.  >:(

Nice installment.  I remember those one lane bridges; could not believe it when I first saw it.

I am totally fine with them just not when I have no light and the rain is hammering down on me.

Did your pilot tilt the helicopter at the top of the falls in Wai'ale'ale Crater?  Ours said he was going to show us his favorite view.   :)  Nothing but the seatbelt between me and the falls.

We did tilt around a bit but not there. The idea of basically being able to unbuckle and just jump out is thrilling and nuts. Still unforgettable and I can't imagine doing a Heli now any other way.
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline CZ60

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 17, 2017, 01:59:50 PM »
This TR makes me wanna go (back) to Hawaii so badly. Coming fresh off the Maldives less than 2 months and I'm still jealous. Great pics and great TR!

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 17, 2017, 02:12:47 PM »
This TR makes me wanna go (back) to Hawaii so badly. Coming fresh off the Maldives less than 2 months and I'm still jealous. Great pics and great TR!

Thanks! Appreciate it!

Maldives is on my list too at some point. Then again, I could go back to Hawaii so many times again.

As they say: So many places, so little time..
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline CZ60

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 17, 2017, 02:26:42 PM »
As they say: So many places, so little time..
And so many points...

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 26, 2017, 02:06:26 PM »
Saturday, January 7th

Shabbes was really chilled and delightful. As was posted earlier, there is something so serene and calm about spending an entire day doing close to nothing while in the middle of the Pacific Ocean with immaculate weather.

We basically got up, had some breakfast and then headed to the pool to relax in the Cabanas. One great benefit we had was that due to the way I had booked this trip (many individual bookings for each segment comprised of free nights, points and C+P) that my main concierge contact at the hotel was insisting that I get a Diamond Amenity for each time I rolled into a new reservation as its technically a new stay. I obviously wasn't going to say no to that. :)

So while I mostly picked Hyatt points for my amenity, for my reservation starting Saturday I had picked the Cabana-amenity you can choose for the day. What great value if you know you will be hotel-bound for the entire day. Those cabanas go for well over $100 a day and were a great perk to have access to all day.

After eating lunch and relaxing pool-side for several hours we then walked around the premise of the hotel before taking a nap. By the time we woke up Shabbes was almost over and after reading through the magazines the room had to offer the day had come to an end.

We showered and decided to make our way down for some drinks at the Stevenson's Library which many locals we met during our stay rated very highly for everything from ambiance to drinks and sushi. I can only agree that the vibe on a Saturday night was tons of fun and very enjoyable. The drinks weren't too shabby either.

Stay tuned for the last full day..
Work hard, Play harder!