Topic Wiki

Best offer available right now is $50 for internet & phone for 6 months, afterwards bumped up to $60/month.
Standalone internet service isn't cheaper. You can try calling retention to extend your promotional rate, though recently DDFers have been unsuccessful.

The best available promo for Optimum internet (only), is the $40/month for 12 months for new customers.
Many people reported success in retaining the $40/month plan (after 12 months) after calling Optimum to cancel.

The old promo for internet was $30, but that has been replaced with the $40 plan around May 2013.
As of now, it isn't coming back, even with persistent HUCA, but users have had success upgrading to a higher speed plan for $45/month

« Last edited by yuneeq on August 19, 2014, 03:26:52 PM »

Author Topic: Optimum internet  (Read 90297 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 40K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15685
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
Re: Optimum internet
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2011, 12:55:47 AM »
Nerd :P

I've mentioned Fios each time I called, no luck so far.
Switch to contract-free DSL and then signup again as a new cable customer switching over from DSL.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline BAHayman

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2011, 12:59:02 AM »

meh i have been using gv as my home phone for the past year or so and its just great :)

can you try saying the fios is offering you internet for $34.95 at the higher speed? This was you pay a little more so they might be inclined to keep you on as well as you get the boost... (which is the only way to get decent speed on ool anyway..)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 73
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2011, 01:06:17 AM »
meh i have been using gv as my home phone for the past year or so and its just great :)

can you try saying the fios is offering you internet for $34.95 at the higher speed? This was you pay a little more so they might be inclined to keep you on as well as you get the boost... (which is the only way to get decent speed on ool anyway..)

I'll try that. I'm happy with the basic Optimum, I have boost @ work and it isn't too much faster.
PGF24BMGS

Offline BAHayman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2011, 01:08:38 AM »
I'll try that. I'm happy with the basic Optimum, I have boost @ work and it isn't too much faster.

could be your area. here we only get like 5/1 on regular and 27/5 on boost...

but give it a try.. gl

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2011, 01:11:18 AM »
could be your area. here we only get like 5/1 on regular and 27/5 on boost...

but give it a try.. gl

Could it be they're giving me a hard time because I use too much bandwidth? I often do 5 gigs or more a week.
PGF24BMGS

Offline BAHayman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2011, 01:15:33 AM »
Could it be they're giving me a hard time because I use too much bandwidth? I often do 5 gigs or more a week.

i doubt it.. how much is up? ive been home since monday night and have done 18.44 GB of which 17.92GB is down...

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2011, 01:24:12 AM »
i doubt it.. how much is up? ive been home since monday night and have done 18.44 GB of which 17.92GB is down...

I don't think I can beat that. Most (80% is my guess) is down.
PGF24BMGS

Offline BAHayman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2011, 01:26:14 AM »
I don't think I can beat that. Most (80% is my guess) is down.

then you should be fine.. i havent heard of ool capping or anything of the sort for download amounts, only for upload (happened to me once, upgrading to boost removes that cap thingy..)

Offline sim

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2011, 09:15:47 AM »
Cool, how long ago?
beginning of april

Offline Zeeeeks

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2011, 10:32:20 AM »

What I did was have them schedule the cancellation, then called back that I wont be able to be there at that time and I need to reschedule unless they could do something for me.

Offline muttman

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2011, 10:35:38 AM »
How are you getting it for so cheap? When I had triple play it cost $108 for triple play + DVR. Since my year is up and they wouldnt let me change it to my wife's name at the same address, so I said I would switch to direct TV and they gave me triple play for another year!

When I moved to my new Apt I did some research on Fios and Cablevision.

In a nutshell, Cablevision has a promotion that if you have Verizon they will offer you a package of phone, TV, Internet, DVR, and one premium channel package ( I have sports) for 75.99 with a two year price guarantee. So I signed up for FIOS got a work order and on the same day called Cablevision and told them that I have FIOS. Cablevision confirmed that I am eligible for the offer and scheduled a time to come and install the service . After Cablevision came and installed the service I called Verizon and cancelled my work order.

P.S. Verizon did a hard pull on my credit

I take no responsibility for the results of your actions

Offline BAHayman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2011, 10:37:55 AM »
When I moved to my new Apt I did some research on Fios and Cablevision.

In a nutshell, Cablevision has a promotion that if you have Verizon they will offer you a package of phone, TV, Internet, DVR, and one premium channel package ( I have sports) for 75.99 with a two year price guarantee. So I signed up for FIOS got a work order and on the same day called Cablevision and told them that I have FIOS. Cablevision confirmed that I am eligible for the offer and scheduled a time to come and install the service . After Cablevision came and installed the service I called Verizon and cancelled my work order.

P.S. Verizon did a hard pull on my credit

So I used that same promotion but without having fios at all, its not even available in my apt... when they asked for the fios bill I said I would give it to the technician when he came to install and when he came I said I faxed it in.. That was over a year ago and they havent asked for it since the installation :)

Offline jong

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2011, 01:35:31 PM »
So I used that same promotion but without having fios at all, its not even available in my apt... when they asked for the fios bill I said I would give it to the technician when he came to install and when he came I said I faxed it in.. That was over a year ago and they havent asked for it since the installation :)

WIN!

Offline rukiddingme

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2011, 06:46:57 PM »
AsherO:  If it's any consolation, I'm in the same boat (Optimum internet only) and they refuse to budge.  I've called to complain about service, suggested I'd leave, and misinterpreted promos to apply to my situation - nada.

The truth is that I really have no leverage.  I don't want the double or triple play, and my wife will scream if we go to DSL.  Maybe I'll cancel the next time there's a three day y"t...

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2011, 07:04:40 PM »
AsherO:  If it's any consolation, I'm in the same boat (Optimum internet only) and they refuse to budge.  I've called to complain about service, suggested I'd leave, and misinterpreted promos to apply to my situation - nada.

The truth is that I really have no leverage.  I don't want the double or triple play, and my wife will scream if we go to DSL.  Maybe I'll cancel the next time there's a three day y"t...

I convinced them that me and my brother live together and he's closing the account and I'm opening one. They starting asking questions and it got a bit weird... but they're coming Monday to install my cable @ $29.95. The real question is should I be upfront with the installation guy (usually a 3rd party contracted with Optimum) or what do I tell him?
PGF24BMGS