Topic Wiki

Below is a link to a list of modems that are compatible with Optimum. Depending on the speed you have you will need to get a modem that can accommodate that speed.
A modem has channels that represent the speed it can handle. It's displayed as download channels x upload channels, so a 16x8 modem means it has 16 download channels and 8 upload channels.

It's not recommended to get anything lower than 16X8 since speeds are only going up in the future.
Chart showing the channels needed to support the Optimum speed

• Optimum 100, 8x4 or higher
  • Optimum 200, 16x8 or higher
  • Optimum 400, 24x8 or higher

There are many modems available on Craigslist's and eBay as well, there is no need to buy a new one as long as it's compatible.
https://pickmymodem.com/approved-modems-for-optimum-cablevision-internet-service/

Once you have the modem you can call Optimum tech support and ask them to provision a new modem and give them the MAC id located a the modem. They will also send you a prepaid FedEx label to return their modem and the price will be reflected on your next bill. You just saved $10 - $10.89 a month in fees.

Author Topic: Optimum internet  (Read 399382 times)

Offline muttman

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Optimum internet
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2011, 10:35:38 AM »
How are you getting it for so cheap? When I had triple play it cost $108 for triple play + DVR. Since my year is up and they wouldnt let me change it to my wife's name at the same address, so I said I would switch to direct TV and they gave me triple play for another year!

When I moved to my new Apt I did some research on Fios and Cablevision.

In a nutshell, Cablevision has a promotion that if you have Verizon they will offer you a package of phone, TV, Internet, DVR, and one premium channel package ( I have sports) for 75.99 with a two year price guarantee. So I signed up for FIOS got a work order and on the same day called Cablevision and told them that I have FIOS. Cablevision confirmed that I am eligible for the offer and scheduled a time to come and install the service . After Cablevision came and installed the service I called Verizon and cancelled my work order.

P.S. Verizon did a hard pull on my credit

I take no responsibility for the results of your actions

Offline BAHayman

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2011, 10:37:55 AM »
When I moved to my new Apt I did some research on Fios and Cablevision.

In a nutshell, Cablevision has a promotion that if you have Verizon they will offer you a package of phone, TV, Internet, DVR, and one premium channel package ( I have sports) for 75.99 with a two year price guarantee. So I signed up for FIOS got a work order and on the same day called Cablevision and told them that I have FIOS. Cablevision confirmed that I am eligible for the offer and scheduled a time to come and install the service . After Cablevision came and installed the service I called Verizon and cancelled my work order.

P.S. Verizon did a hard pull on my credit

So I used that same promotion but without having fios at all, its not even available in my apt... when they asked for the fios bill I said I would give it to the technician when he came to install and when he came I said I faxed it in.. That was over a year ago and they havent asked for it since the installation :)

Offline jong

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2011, 01:35:31 PM »
So I used that same promotion but without having fios at all, its not even available in my apt... when they asked for the fios bill I said I would give it to the technician when he came to install and when he came I said I faxed it in.. That was over a year ago and they havent asked for it since the installation :)

WIN!

Offline rukiddingme

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2011, 06:46:57 PM »
AsherO:  If it's any consolation, I'm in the same boat (Optimum internet only) and they refuse to budge.  I've called to complain about service, suggested I'd leave, and misinterpreted promos to apply to my situation - nada.

The truth is that I really have no leverage.  I don't want the double or triple play, and my wife will scream if we go to DSL.  Maybe I'll cancel the next time there's a three day y"t...

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2011, 07:04:40 PM »
AsherO:  If it's any consolation, I'm in the same boat (Optimum internet only) and they refuse to budge.  I've called to complain about service, suggested I'd leave, and misinterpreted promos to apply to my situation - nada.

The truth is that I really have no leverage.  I don't want the double or triple play, and my wife will scream if we go to DSL.  Maybe I'll cancel the next time there's a three day y"t...

I convinced them that me and my brother live together and he's closing the account and I'm opening one. They starting asking questions and it got a bit weird... but they're coming Monday to install my cable @ $29.95. The real question is should I be upfront with the installation guy (usually a 3rd party contracted with Optimum) or what do I tell him?
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline rukiddingme

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2011, 07:10:28 PM »
I convinced them that me and my brother live together and he's closing the account and I'm opening one. They starting asking questions and it got a bit weird... but they're coming Monday to install my cable @ $29.95. The real question is should I be upfront with the installation guy (usually a 3rd party contracted with Optimum) or what do I tell him?

I can't imagine the the installation guy will care, but why not stick to the story?  Tell him it's weird, but you and your brother wanted a clean break with the accounts.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2011, 07:18:37 PM »
I can't imagine the the installation guy will care, but why not stick to the story?  Tell him it's weird, but you and your brother wanted a clean break with the accounts.

I guess so. Does it matter that everything (modem/router/wifi setup) is all exactly like the account that is being cancelled?
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Avid Reader

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2011, 11:33:34 AM »
Optimum claims they stopped the doable play promo at the end of April.

But they'll probably come out with another soon enough.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2011, 12:54:46 PM »

Update:

I was straight up with the guy, and he had no issue with what I was trying to do. There was a technical problem getting the modem provisioned on the same (hard) line with the new account data, since the 'old' account was still showing as cancelled, nothing a CS call couldn't resolve (the installation support that he called configured the modem manually or something).

So for the next year I save $240 :) Meanwhile Optimum in their stubbornness spent another $100 or so (I estimate) on a new modem and 3rd-party install, so long as they insisted on not giving my old account the cheaper pricing.

Offline Avid Reader

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2011, 03:41:07 AM »
Good for you! They gave just one year? I locked in at 2 years IIRC.

Someone said something to the affect that Verizon is no longer offering DSL (at least) in the CH area, which would probably be the reason that Optimum canceled the Double-Play promo last month. Anyone know if this DSL thing is true?

Hopefully when Fios comes in it should change the situation for the better.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2011, 03:48:07 AM »
Good for you! They gave just one year? I locked in at 2 years IIRC.

Someone said something to the affect that Verizon is no longer offering DSL (at least) in the CH area, which would probably be the reason that Optimum canceled the Double-Play promo last month. Anyone know if this DSL thing is true?

Hopefully when Fios comes in it should change the situation for the better.

These monopolies are terrible for consumers, but all these huge telecommunication companies are in bed with the FCC... :(

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2011, 09:36:46 AM »
So, now that my old account was closed, I got a copyright notice for my old account. Anyone have any experience with this? What should I use to protect myself when torrenting? I used to use PeerGuardian, should I go back to that?

Offline BAHayman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2011, 09:43:16 AM »
So, now that my old account was closed, I got a copyright notice for my old account. Anyone have any experience with this? What should I use to protect myself when torrenting? I used to use PeerGuardian, should I go back to that?

I used to use PG back in my torrenting days, but that didn't stop me from getting 2 of those copyright notices... I don't really know any other way to protect yourself when using torrents except PG and private trackers.

On a side note, if your up for paying like $10 a month theres a different technology that can be used which is virtually untraceable and will max out your download speed... (and "stuff" appears a few minutes before it hits the torrent scene... :D)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2011, 09:45:42 AM »
I used to use PG back in my torrenting days, but that didn't stop me from getting 2 of those copyright notices... I don't really know any other way to protect yourself when using torrents except PG and private trackers.

On a side note, if your up for paying like $10 a month theres a different technology that can be used which is virtually untraceable and will max out your download speed... (and "stuff" appears a few minutes before it hits the torrent scene... :D)

Any private trackers you can recommend? Not TVtorrents, they keep shutting my accounts down.
Can the $10 option be shared? Is it usenet or paid rapidshare/megaupload?

Offline BAHayman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2011, 09:48:11 AM »
Any private trackers you can recommend? Not TVtorrents, they keep shutting my accounts down.
Can the $10 option be shared? Is it usenet or paid rapidshare/megaupload?

nope havent been keeping up with the private trackers.. yup usenet so no cant be shared unless you both are using the same ip address, or just coordinate when to login. it is possible you can find a usenet provider that will allow multi ip login but i havent seen any good ones..

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 20
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Rav Kav Platinum
« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2011, 09:52:21 AM »
Utorrent encryption doesn't work?
Create professional looking itineraries.
Check out eliteitinerary.com

Offline elikay

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2011, 09:56:05 AM »
Does free rapidshare also generate these copyright notices?

Offline BAHayman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2011, 09:56:09 AM »
Utorrent encryption doesn't work?

I'm not sure how that works, but the way I understand it is: the studio themselves will seed a torrent and then log all the leechers of that torrent, then they monitor those IP's to see how much they upload and once they reach a certain limit they send a letter to the ISP requesting information. Some ISP's just hand it over, Cablevision happens to be very nice and will not turn over the subscriber information until the 3rd incident (ime).

The way that PG can help prevent tracking is by blocking the IP addresses of known studios/agencies etc so that you don't end up leeching from them...

Does free rapidshare also generate these copyright notices?

Not AFAIK, reason being that you aren't uploading to others. So a) they aren't as interested in you, b) the only way they can find you is by serving rapidshare and asking for there logs (not sure how much of a fight they will put up).

The reason that usenet is great is because you can find a provider who dosen't keep logs at all :) and since most offer SSL encryption they can't tell what your downloading on the ISP end either...

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 20
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Rav Kav Platinum
« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2011, 10:00:04 AM »
I'm not sure how that works, but the way I understand it is: the studio themselves will seed a torrent and then log all the leechers of that torrent, then they monitor those IP's to see how much they upload and once they reach a certain limit they send a letter to the ISP requesting information. Some ISP's just hand it over, Cablevision happens to be very nice and will not turn over the subscriber information until the 3rd incident (ime).

The way that PG can help prevent tracking is by blocking the IP addresses of known studios/agencies etc so that you don't end up leeching from them...

Not AFAIK, reason being that you aren't uploading to others. So a) they aren't as interested in you, b) the only way they can find you is by serving rapidshare and asking for there logs (not sure how much of a fight they will put up).

The reason that usenet is great is because you can find a provider who dosen't keep logs at all :) and since most offer SSL encryption they can't tell what your downloading on the ISP end either...
TPB doesn't block these torrents?
Create professional looking itineraries.
Check out eliteitinerary.com

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2011, 10:00:47 AM »
nope havent been keeping up with the private trackers.. yup usenet so no cant be shared unless you both are using the same ip address, or just coordinate when to login. it is possible you can find a usenet provider that will allow multi ip login but i havent seen any good ones..

Are you currently using usenet? Is it only good for recent/popular stuff or can you find obscure content as well? Any usenet provider you can recommend?

FYI, my notice was triggered by an inquiry from Media Sentry.